Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Team GB has killed my love of football!

Why''s that wiz?

Everything I admire in sportsmen and sports-woman...........Dedication.....Total oyality to the the team and fans.....Honour first, money second........always striving for your personel best.....skill and sheer bloody hard work!

All plainly evident in our superb Team GB and its wonderful Olympic triumphs.

The trouble is its totally killed, stone cold dead, my love of football, with its spin, dishonesty, and money grabbing philosophy.

Long may I never recover!. [Y]

Adapted from my carrowroad.net post

I was thinking along similar lines last night Wiz. I have never heard of most of these medal winners but they have obviously been getting up at the crack of dawn and training hard for very little financial rewards 7 days a week for god knows how long. Meanwhile our overpaid arrogant cynical profeesional footballers have been swanning around and getting their faces on the back and front of every newspaper and on the tele every time you switch it on. Really puts it in perspective doesnt it?

So true.  Makes you wonder why we bother!  Can you imagine what these guys must think about professional footballers and all their money and general antics? Here''s to 2012.  Can''t wait.  Must get to see at least a couple of events as it''s a once in a lifetime chance.

[quote user="Duffman"]So what are you going to do for the next 4 years ?
[/quote]

Sadly, I think we all know the answer to that.

[/quote]

There''s always the World Championships, Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Three A''s etc etc.

Well, you did ask![;)]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

There''s always the World Championships, Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Three A''s etc etc.

Well, you did ask![;)]

[/quote]

Moderators, could you please move all future input from the Wizard to a different forum as he''s no longer interested in football. This could work out well for everyone.

I must be the only person not interested in the Olympics.  I am interested in the 2012 event because the "organisation" of it will be a complete and total shambles from start to finish..............

We all know why it is Wiz, because instead of getting behind your team on Saturday you were sitting inside watching the Olympics. Perhaps you missed all the threads about how well we actually played?

On the other hand, I am loving the Olympics as well, but make time to follow my football club as well.

I''m not much interested either, Cam... obviously I''m happy to see we''re

doing better than usual, but in terms of watching the events I really

couldn''t be bothered!

Why''s that wiz?

Everything I admire in sportsmen and sports-woman...........Dedication.....Total oyality to the the team and fans.....Honour first, money second........always striving for your personel best.....skill and sheer bloody hard work!

The trouble is its totally killed, stone cold dead, my love of football, with its spin, dishonesty, and money grabbing philosophy.

[/quote]

I watched it yesterday morning and didn''t see one goal.

[:|]

Why''s that wiz?

[/quote]

Though it hasn''t stopped my love of football, you do make a good point here. I was thinking myself about the level of commitment shown without it being tied directly to greed.  

Why''s that wiz?

[/quote]

Do you honestly think the top sports people don''t make LOTS of money.

Some end up very wealthy people.

A lot don''t thats the chance and dedication, but that also applies to football.

Still love all sport and will watch avidly and cheer on whoever our "home" players are.

There is a difference between the Norwich players and Team GB.

Norwich City players are earning a living - representing us I know but it''s only a job.  Like someone working for Tesco represents them.

Team GB are representing their country, it''s not their job!

Andy Murray was my inspiration in this olympic games, how crap was he? No money on the line, just pride playing for you country and look how poor he was, let''s see how he does in the USA open, maybe we''ll see more passion when there is big money at stake. Now look at Nadal and Djokavik, how hard did they play in their semi final, both deperate to win for their countries.

Just thought i''d slag Murray off!

I quite enjoy the track cycling, it does help that we are so good at it though.

I''ve really struggled to get into the Olympics to be honest. Part of it is probably because it''s mostly on during the day when I''m at work but the main reason is that it''s full of ''sports'' that I couldn''t give a toss about for the other eleven months of the year. Rowing, cycling, swimming, equestrianism, sailing and yngling (is that the same as sailing [*-)]). Given the choice between any of these and Dereham vs Wroxham on a cold Tuesday night at Aldiss Park and I''m off to the football. Why should it be any different just because it''s the Olympics?

And as for all of this ''Team GB'' nonsense, what''s wrong with just saying that a competitor is ''representing Great Britain''? I take it that this name was devised by the same focus group who chose the 2012 logo which turns some people into a twitching, dribbling mess. I appreciate that it''s supposed cause a stirring in our patriotic loins but I always thought that the Olympics was supposed be about individuals (or teams in the case of team sports) striving to achieve their goals no matter what obstacles are placed in front of them.

Sorry to sound so negative but I just don''t get all of the fuss being made. Football has it''s faults, I''m probably one of the biggest critics of the modern game here, but the opening weekend of The Premiership was pretty good. Hull getting their first win in the top flight, United struggling without Ronaldo, West Brom putting up a decent showing against Le Arse, Paul Ince getting his first win, some cracking goals and a performance from Deco which suggested that he may be the man to get Chelsea playing in a way that should excite everyone. It''s not perfect I''ll grant you that but it''s got to be more entertaining than rowing a boat in a straight line or cocking about on the back of a horse!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I take it that this name was devised by the

same focus group who chose the 2012 logo which turns some people into a

twitching, dribbling mess. [/quote]

Are they also the same people responsible for Petr Cech''s new shirt? [:S]

As for the rest of your points Shack I agree entirely, cycling aside

(which I enjoy doing, but watching events like the Tour de France is

now akin to the likes of BB - which cyclist is going to be "evicted"

first, you decide! Sponsored by Nandrolone).  I don''t mind the

track events but I''m told I''ve missed the sprints already so that''s

really my interest over already!

Why''s that wiz?

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone can argue that these Olympic athletes have shown incredible dedication, but the simple fact of the matter is that it is money that has generated the ''spin, dishonesty, and money grabbing philosophy.'' This is because football has evolved into one of the greatest sports into the world. If sailing was as exciting and they were getting paid £100k a week then I think there would be a change in  attitudes of the atheletes. Just look at the number of drugs cheats (and countless others who haven''t been caught), these elite atheletes are under enormous pressures to win from sponsors and expectation.

Also don''t forget that in 1896, the first modern olympics, it was strictly amatuer. This was so rich people could afford to compete and winning did not matter to them because they had everything anyway. Is this what you would rather watch? It''s not the winning that counts but the taking part, load of garbage in my opinion.

At the end of the day, the Olympics is the one time in every four years that people actually care about rhythmic gymnastics and ping pong and all the other sports. Because lets face it, if they were all that exciting then they would be recieving millions in television revenue and sponsorships...

Non League football.... or "pure Football" played by postmen, Doctors, trolly pushers and Cabbies... unpaid they have to make their own way to the opposition grounds,...

the chairman mows the pitch, the striker gets up at 4 am for work, works 12 hours then has to drive 100 miles for a 7:45 kick off... Compare that to Frank Lampard who sits on his backside all day....

Semi pro and amateur football is how it should be.. its mad cap, the quality  isnt great.. but the game is untainted.. its not about Money... its not about big transfer fees or lambasting the ref or rolling about on the floor like a ponce at the slightest of contact... its about the love of the game....

Kings Lynn and their ilk are a credit to football....

If you want to fall in love with the game again go and watch your local non league side.. you mught work with the center back.

jas :)

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Why''s that wiz?Everything I admire in sportsmen and sports-woman...........Dedication.....Total oyality to the the team and fans.....Honour first, money second........always striving for your personel best.....skill and sheer bloody hard work!All plainly evident in our superb Team GB and its wonderful Olympic triumphs.The trouble is its totally killed, stone cold dead, my love of football, with its spin, dishonesty, and money grabbing philosophy.Long may I never recover!. [Y]

[/quote]

Do you honestly think the top sports people don''t make LOTS of money.

Some end up very wealthy people.

A lot don''t thats the chance and dedication, but that also applies to football.

Still love all sport and will watch avidly and cheer on whoever our "home" players are.

[/quote]I think that the point is many of them end up with very little for years of committment, the average pro athlete on the international circuit earns around 25-35k a year, it is only when they become part of the small elite that they earn money (around 5 or 6 people from the elite of each sport instead of thousands of millionaire footballers), you have to ask yourself whether ot not Ian Henderson''s 104k a year at Norwich was as deserved as Rebecca Adlingtons 25-35k a year. She is the best in the country at her sport. She will probably now become a millionairess, and quite right too, because she is officially the best.I have a mate who is the 4th best British Tennis player, he has to travel all over the world staying in one star hotels to break a profit each year, which lasts for 7 or 8 years and is not enough at the end of this to buy a house. Ryan Jarvis or Ian Henderson are probably, what, the 3000th best English pro footballers? for playing 2 or 3 hours of football a day and taking the rest of the day spending their earnings in HOF or Dogfish? I agree with everything that Wizard just said, Athletes can be admired, footballers have it too easy once they have ''made it''.

Why''s that wiz?

[/quote]do you think that theses so called sportsmen and women would turn down thousands of pounds if they where offered it.

and carry on being dedicatied and loyal to the team .  NO take a look amir khan now signed up with sky,i wonder how much his getting?

AND WIZ its getting so bad for you ,your talking to yourself.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Non League football.... or "pure Football" played by postmen, Doctors, trolly pushers and Cabbies... unpaid they have to make their own way to the opposition grounds,...

the chairman mows the pitch, the striker gets up at 4 am for work, works 12 hours then has to drive 100 miles for a 7:45 kick off... Compare that to Frank Lampard who sits on his backside all day....

Semi pro and amateur football is how it should be.. its mad cap, the quality  isnt great.. but the game is untainted.. its not about Money... its not about big transfer fees or lambasting the ref or rolling about on the floor like a ponce at the slightest of contact... its about the love of the game....

Kings Lynn and their ilk are a credit to football....

If you want to fall in love with the game again go and watch your local non league side.. you mught work with the center back.

jas :)

[/quote]Jas,Although I agree with everything that you say, but Kings Lynn players do well enough trust me. Mr Joachin is on more than you for a part time contract, I dont know how much you earn, but I bet its less that Mr Joachim for his part time hours.Non League footballers generally get paid between £100-£200 a week, thats good pay for one day and two or three evenings training. That equates to around £15-£20 an hour, which is more than Cabbies, Trolly Pushers and indeed the earner of the Average National Wage would earn per hour for their day jobs.Ry.

Why''s that wiz?

[/quote]

Wiz,  I agree with everything you say about football and right up until Saturday I was completely bowled over by our Olympian endevours. Then I read an article pointing out that far from meritocracy and high ideals the Olympic games is a rich man''s (and rich woman''s) game. Eaton College approx 5 medals, the whole of Africa, something like 3. (Up until Saturday morning)

Apparently 57% of Team GB  (yuk, shoot the marketing man) went to Public school.

Not that the rich shouldn''t be able to play of course but it costs a bit for a horse or a yacht to sail. I admire their dedication and willingness to sacrifice everything in pursuit, without the promise of money at the end of it. Slightly easier when you already have money.

1st Wizard wrote:

Why''s that wiz?

Long may I never recover!. Yes [Y]

Wiz,  I agree with everything you say about football and right up until Saturday I was completely bowled over by our Olympian endevours. Then I read an article pointing out that far from meritocracy and high ideals the Olympic games is a rich man''s (and rich woman''s) game. Eaton College approx 5 medals, the whole of Africa, something like 3. (Up until Saturday morning)

Apparently 57% of Team GB  (yuk, shoot the marketing man) went to Public school.

Not that the rich shouldn''t be able to play of course but it costs a bit for a horse or a yacht to sail. I admire their dedication and willingness to sacrifice everything in pursuit, without the promise of money at the end of it. Slightly easier when you already have money.

Chrisr

You make some good points many of team gb would never have been there without wealthy parents

However there are many there thats parents have struggled to give their children this opportunity just ask louis smiths mum (a single mother from peterborough)who in his medal winning interview genuinely replied when asked if he was going on holiday, said he was going to great Yarmouth with his mates!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

There is a difference between the Norwich players and Team GB.

Norwich City players are earning a living - representing us I know but it''s only a job.  Like someone working for Tesco represents them.

Team GB are representing their country, it''s not their job!

[/quote]

How is it different? Surely Norwich City F.C represent Norwich in the same way Team GB represents Great Britain?

Team GB don''t deserve to be paid because its not their job to represent us? I hope you are also of the opinion that the England football team shouldn''t be paid either. They certainly DO NOT deserve the money they''re on atm.

Indeed, I don''t think anyone should be paid to represent their country at sport.

What I mean, is that those in team GB don''t really have a say, they''re representing their nationality, identity, whereas professional footballers will join clubs without having any personal relation or connection to them.... Join them as they will offer them a wage to play football....  Not the same as representing what is on your passport.

I get your point, but for us Norwich fans we see it as the same as we support them equally as we support the athletes representing Britain.  Footballers often don''t play for who they support....