Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Past Strikers

This problem many seem to have with strikers from lower divisions. Look at the past ones:-

Cross.......Gillingham

Bone.........Some Scots Club!!

McDougal and Boyer ....Bournemouth

Ashton.......Crewe

The list goes on

One small point I have the name Viv Busby battering in my head when and if he played for us please someone

[quote user="The Butler"]

This problem many seem to have with strikers from lower divisions. Look at the past ones:-

Cross.......Gillingham

Ashton.......Crewe

The list goes on

One small point I have the name Viv Busby battering in my head when and if he played for us please someone

[/quote]Viv played a season scoring 11 in 22 according to wikipedia.

Cross.......Gillingham

The list goes on

[/quote]

David Cross came from Rochdale, not Gillingham (for a then club record fee of £40k - remember it being announced at an evening game.). Like Iwan, he took a little time to establish himself but always enjoyed his game and was good to watch. Bone came from Partick Thistle - a very exciting player when he was on song - he seemed to run at players rather than around them. I always thought there were similarities of style with Huckerby. Don''t recall watching Viv Busby for Norwich (76/77?) - we signed him from Fulham apparently.

[quote user="Reg Presley"]Except that Ted MacDougall came from West Ham, and had also been at Manchester United since leaving Bournemouth.
[/quote]

Kevin Reeves came from Bournemouth

[quote user="Cosmic Twin"]

Kevin Drinkell came from Grimsby. Scored 22 League goals in his first season!

[/quote]

He was awesome for us Cosmic. 150 appearances and 57 goals. He was my sons favourite player and we have the photo''s of him with Kevin Drinkell when he was mascot Easter Saturday 1987.

Technically Drinkell doesn''t count as being signed from a lower division club though. We signed him from Grimsby in the summer of 1985 after Coventry and Everton combined to rob us of our top league status. So Grimsby were in our league that season.

Technically Drinkell doesn''t count as being signed from a lower division club though. We signed him from Grimsby in the summer of 1985 after Coventry and Everton combined to rob us of our top league status. So Grimsby were in our league that season.

I know, but they finished lower than us in that League! [;)] Drinkell was a real favourite of mine too.

There is also countless examples of strikers coming from lowere leagues and being total flops. For every gem you name, there will have been a dozen poor players.

[quote user="hurricane"]

Dont forget the towering striker that was Keith Scott.

[/quote]

his goals to game ratio for us wa actually pretty good!

jas :)

[quote user="Cosmic Twin"]

[/quote]

God, I remember that so well. 3-0 wasn''t it ? Complete travesty !

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]There is also countless examples of strikers coming from lowere leagues and being total flops. For every gem you name, there will have been a dozen poor players.[/quote]

Utter B*llucks! You will need to name about 100+ then.

Most of our "flop" strikers come up through the youth and dont make it.

Broughton, Coote, Jarvis and Henderson in recent times.

Cross.......Gillingham

[/quote]

Cross didn''t come from Gills, perhaps you confusing him with Steve Bruce ?

Cross.......Gillingham

Ashton.......Crewe

The list goes on

[/quote]

The majority of these signings occurred pre 1980...

It is a different world now. Even Ashton had 3 or 4 seasons at Championship level before we signed him.

In the last couple of years the likes of Eastwood, Varney and SHarp have struggled to adjust from League 1/2 to the championship and I am struggling to think of the last time a player went from the lower league and into the premiership....

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

The majority of these signings occurred pre 1980...

It is a different world now. Even Ashton had 3 or 4 seasons at Championship level before we signed him.

In the last couple of years the likes of Eastwood, Varney and SHarp have struggled to adjust from League 1/2 to the championship and I am struggling to think of the last time a player went from the lower league and into the premiership....

[/quote]

I agree with that Stevie Wonder and it''s another example of how football has changed since pre-premiership days. The last player I can think of who made such a leap was Jon Stead when Blackburn signed him from Huddersfield who were in League Three. But although his goals helped keep Blackburn in the Premiership he has never become anymore than a top of the Champs / bottom of the Prem player.