Sign in to follow this  
knowhatimean

captaincy

Following 1st Wizards cat amongst the pidgeons, I would like to offer this for discussion:
I am sure Adam Drury will develop into a fine full back once he settles into life in the Prem. but I do not believe he is happy in his role of Captain. He does not come across as a dominent member of the team and I think he would be a better player if relieved of that responsibility. We need somebody with more personality, passion and organisational ability to inspire the team. I would have suggested Malky but it does not look if he will feature much now so I think I would opt for Charlton, who seems to have all the qualities needed.

Anybody agree or have any other suggestions?

OTBC

I agree, to an extent anyway. I''m not sure the captaincy has had a negative effect on Drury''s performances, but I think we need a stronger character as team captain. We all acknowledge this season is going to be tough, not for the faint hearted. I just can''t see Drury motivating the other guys when needed. It''s great that we have some real experience in the squad now, I would just prefer we utilise some of that experience with a change of captain. I know Beckham isn''t the most vocal captain, and he has done a pretty good job as England skipper, but I can''t see Drury leading by example in the same way . Having said all this, I think we need to give Drury the benefit of seeing us play against a few of the "lesser teams" and seeing how we perform. If results pick up as we all home we may as well leave it as is . . .( not that Worthy listens to me anyway ! )

Fleming for me. I don''t personally think that you can make a new signing captain immediately. If you look at the current squad, ideally you need a player who is going to start every game, one who commands respect from his fellow players, and one who knows about the club. Given this, I can see only Fleming or possibly Francis who might fit the bill

no midfields taken by mcveigh and bently (and maybe jonson)

I was mascot last year for the hammers game at carrow road;

Adam Drury is a great captain, he does his job well. He gets the boys ready and prepared for the game ahead, although worthy does seem to take the lead.