Sign in to follow this  
The Colonel

Big Striker = Long Ball Game?

We are all talking about the need for a Target man, will this mean we will always pump the ball long?

This was often critisised last year, but could it be the way that we are going to play?

An argument could be that we need a taller striker to get on the end of crosses? But after watching the game Saturday where will these come from. With Hoolahan on the left, it seems that he likes to come inside to play his game and with a centre mid player on the right it doesnt offer the best width.

For me, we need to make Carrow Road a fortress again and we need to impose our game on the visitors, I believe the way to do this is play with two wingers and attack. Its no good setting up defensively and allowing the opponents to play their game. We need to impose ouselves on other teams!

[quote user="The Colonel"]

We are all talking about the need for a Target man, will this mean we will always pump the ball long?

This was often critisised last year, but could it be the way that we are going to play?

An argument could be that we need a taller striker to get on the end of crosses? But after watching the game Saturday where will these come from. With Hoolahan on the left, it seems that he likes to come inside to play his game and with a centre mid player on the right it doesnt offer the best width.

For me, we need to make Carrow Road a fortress again and we need to impose our game on the visitors, I believe the way to do this is play with two wingers and attack. Its no good setting up defensively and allowing the opponents to play their game. We need to impose ouselves on other teams!

[/quote]Target man = options, although I''m not sure it qualifies under ''total football''.PS.  Am I the only one who feels compelled to order a ''side'' when saying ''total football'', so American.

Chris Sutton was a big striker but I don''t recall us switching to the long ball technique. Having said that I don''t think there are any big strikers with half of the skill he had who we could get here.

A taller striker doesnt = better heading (or chances from crosses). Look @ Tim Cahill for a perfect example. IMO the only reason we are looking towards a big man is to partner JC as he seems to thrive off this pairing. Lupoli doesnt look like an out and out goal scorer and i think one OJ gets a goal he will settle. He is reminding me of Benjani @ Portsmouth in his first season. Looking to get his feet.

Having a big man up front doesn''t mean we going to become a long ball team.  What it will provide us with is another option, this will put the opiositon on the back foot because they will not know whether we are going to punt a long ball forward or create a chance through passing and movement.  At the moment other teams know that we have no airial threat so that is something they don''t even have to think about

You need the option to go long once in a while otherwise you become one dimensional and easy to play against.I still remember a great long ball goal I was involved in, playing in the unfamilar striker role it was 2-2 with a few minutes to go, our keeper had the ball and a long punt up field was met by my head toward my strike partner who headed it back accross the area, where a midfielder bursting forward met the ball with his head putting it into the bottom corner. Won us the game and we wouldn''t of won without a long ball as we were tired and being over run in the middle.