Sign in to follow this  
I beat Atalanta

Take money out of the equation

Cue jokes about the board already have.....Just what would you all do to improve the club? Its easy to say "get the cheque book out" when its not your money, so what else could be done?Or is it after all, just money dependant ?

Get the Youth structure back to how it was before the Academy. Don''t get me wrong we shouldn''t overlook local lads, but the vast majority of our catchment area is either the sea or fields. If I remember correctly we used to have a training centre just outside London which obviously gave us theability to have kids in and around London to train for us whilst not having to move up here.

[quote user="Steve H"]

Get the Youth structure back to how it was before the Academy. Don''t get me wrong we shouldn''t overlook local lads, but the vast majority of our catchment area is either the sea or fields. If I remember correctly we used to have a training centre just outside London which obviously gave us theability to have kids in and around London to train for us whilst not having to move up here.

[/quote]

Its a simple fact that if you can''t afford to buy quality you have to grow your own.Unfortunately it doesn''t work in practice,because any real talent is likely to be grabbed by the big boys.The classic recent example is Bostock.Palace have developed the lad,Spurs grabbed him for peanuts,so they will reap the benefiits while Palace took all the costs.Its not fair,but its what happens.

[quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote]

Thats not allowed anymore I dont think.There is a certain miles radius to recruit players from.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]

Thats not allowed anymore I dont think.There is a certain miles radius to recruit players from.

[/quote]I wasn''t aware of that. We still get loads of scouts checking local sides out especially Southampton & Leicester for some reasonWhere was the London taining facility, dont remember thatThe moaners dont seem to full of ideas......

I am afraid it is all money dependent.  If you want a competitive side you need good players, good players cost a lot of money.  I would like to see a much better system in place for the re-investment of transfer money i.e Ashton cost us £3m, we sold him for £7m, £3m to be re-invested on the replacement.

We need a competitive transfer budget in place, I think the running costs of the club should be built around such a system.  For me I would do example as above plus all of the cash raised from the sale of youth team players i.e Lewis.

A fans representative on the board would also be a good idea.