Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Bertschin and Putney

A bit before my time...How were these players welcomed at Carrow Road having been ex-binners?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_BertschinAnd does anyone know why Bertschin went on loan to the "Jacksonville Tea Men" in the middle of the 1982 season?  That seems a bit rum.

Trev the Great was a regular chant on the River End Terrace during in the 1989 season.

i remember it took a while before putney won us over , but the fact that he put 100% helped . bertschin im not sure about .

[quote user="Dwayne Dibley"][quote user="Badger"]Keith Bertschin - the goal celebrations were what I can really remember.[/quote]

......and his amazing mullet!!!!
[/quote]

I seem to remember some similarity with my own at the time! Oh for the days of all that hair!

I can''t remember Keith Bertschin''s first game at Carrow Road but do recall Trevor Putney being greeted with a few mellow boos from the Barclay. Putney just won all the fans over with his all action style and effort and even gained his own chant from the faithful: Trevor, Trevor, Trevor, ala, the chant we gave Iwan.

can remember bertie scoring at the barclay end against scummers in f.a cup he got as far as river end before anyone caught him

About 10 years before that Peter Morris and Johnny Miller were double header signings from ipswich. I don''t remember what kind of reception they got at first and neither of them set the world alight in a City shirt.

BUT... although Miller played less than 30 times for Norwich one of those games was the league Cup Quarter Final Replay at portman road where he scored both our goals as we booked a place in the Semi''s! What made it even better was it was rumoured at the time that we hadn''t paid ipswich the transfer fee![:O]

I remember him having a good game in the second leg of the Semi as we beat Man. Utd. to book our place at Wembley. I have no other memories of him though and he just faded away after that and I believe ended up with peter Morris again at Mansfield.

[quote user="brickster"]can remember bertie scoring at the barclay end against scummers in f.a cup he got as far as river end before anyone caught him[/quote]

I remember that too.. I always liked Bertie and never really thought about him being an ex-scummer. And he didn''t play many games for them, we signed him from Birmingham.

It took the best part of a season for Putney to win over the fans as I can remember Steve Bruce in his Captains Comments page often leading with the fans to stop giving him grief. A series of vital goals in Feb/March time including a goal against Liverpool helped win everyone over.

Bertschin had just signed when I went for the first time to CR in 81-82. I can remember my neighbour giving him some serious stick and he never liked him - I can''t recall him saying why but it may have been the Ipswich thing (I was 9 at the time so the animosity to Ipswich would probably have passed me by!).

We got Clive Woods from Ipswich as well, he''d been outstanding for them during his time there & upon coming here, it was announced he''d always been a Norwich fan. But never quite did it for us sadly.

We also tried to sign Kevin Beattie at one point, but, because of some agreement between him, Ipswich and an insurance company (? help?) that never came off. Shame, he was a helluva player, though at that time it was clear he was struggling-could have done a Paul McGrath for us perhaps!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

We got Clive Woods from Ipswich as well, he''d been outstanding for them during his time there & upon coming here, it was announced he''d always been a Norwich fan. But never quite did it for us sadly.

We also tried to sign Kevin Beattie at one point, but, because of some agreement between him, Ipswich and an insurance company (? help?) that never came off. Shame, he was a helluva player, though at that time it was clear he was struggling-could have done a Paul McGrath for us perhaps!

[/quote]

Played against Beattie when he was at Bury Town. Lovely bloke, unlike most ex pros I encountered,although Clive Woods was another exception.On the original point,I think both of them were pretty popular after the initial period of suspicion,although I agree that Putney was the more popular of the two.

[quote user="Bohemian"]I can''t remember Keith Bertschin''s first game at Carrow Road but do recall Trevor Putney being greeted with a few mellow boos from the Barclay. Putney just won all the fans over with his all action style and effort and even gained his own chant from the faithful: Trevor, Trevor, Trevor, ala, the chant we gave Iwan.[/quote]

For my part and many of those around me that day, the boos were because the wonderful John Deehan had inexplicably gone the other.   The disapproval was for the deal not Putney.  As you say, he won the fans round quickly.

My Dad used to hate Bertschin with an absolutely unbelievable passion - despite the goals he scored - "useless" was usually the first thing that came out of his lips when talking about him!   I didn''t have the same issues - he scored some useful goals for us and the celebrations were legendary...Putney was a great player - full of drive & determination and made himself a favourite with the fans!

Didn''t Bertschin score against Ipswich when we beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup 4th (might have been 5th?) round in about 1981, Carra, up at Barclay End?

He scored, did his thing and made a not so subtle gesture at the Ipswich fans as he did so, magic moments!

I remember one game, same season I think, when a mate and I waited, pre-match (home va Rotherham) and got the players autographs as they went in, Bertschin arrived in a clapped out mk.III Ford Cortina, and had given Mick McGuire a lift! No "Baby Bentleys" then!

Loved Trevor as a player - always willing to go in with "proper" tackles and gave his all.  Bit like Rusty on acid, without Rusty''s ability.

Clive woods went to school wiv bro in late 50`s early 60`s and used to live in a close off churchman rd,in a bottom floor flat on the heartsease est,he played fpr heartseases towers, and gothic(means nothing to me), and trialed for us,but was turned away,and scm picked him up....his parents continued to live there till late 80`s.....always was a norwich fan..

My grandad lived in those same flats and new the woods,and all the family supported norwich even when clive played for ips''###.

And other the other hand, aint sure if it is true,but was told ruel fox supported ipswich all the time he was here?