Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Is Hasslebank worth a chance???

Before you all shout at me for posting this,

Words of Old git, too fat, too short, had his day, just looking for a pay day etc etc etc ...

Is he not worth a pay per play or similar deal?

I believe a chris lakley (name maybe slightly wrong) wrote an article in todays EDP regarding the older player in the Championship, Dean Windass 39, Teddy Sheringham 40+, Dion Dublin (GOD) 38, Gary Speed etc etc etc .... Was very good and hightlighted the need of experince in a team.

Perhaps hasslebank is worth a 20 - 30 min spell at the end of a game if things aren''t working out. Lets face it he wouldn''t have missed the open chance that Cureton had at the weekend against Blackpool!! Remember the doubters to Dion?

Ok so the stumbling block would be Wages, why pay him 15k+ a week and not Hucks? Well to be honest I don''t really care about Football politics, I only care about winning, and if he scored against Ipwsich to win the game in the last 10 mins, then everyone would be chanting his name all season!

Worth a Gamble?

Thats up to Roeder, I still thing we need  one or two tall strikers as before, its just with someone who has more experince than Dion, should we just let him train with us then walk away?

If the price is right then lets get him. We might regret it come May.

Cheers All

The price won''t be right.  He was getting around 19k a week, I think, at Cardiff.  If its pay for play, I wouldn''t imagine he would take much less than that. 

No thanks, would rather spend a tenth of his wages on a young unknown from a lower division!

[quote user="Salahuddin"]No thanks, would rather spend a tenth of his wages on a young unknown from a lower division![/quote]

So if hasslebank came on with a Norwich shirt on Saturday against his old club, would you think:

"oh god what a waste of time, I''d rather have that new boy from Leyton Orient"

Sorry I''m fed up of ''nearly boys'' and ''there up and coming''. He may be old but Hasslebank has played in world cups, Fa Cups, Prem League etc etc..

But you are right about the price, lets make him work for his cash.

Cheers for the reply.

I say get in the experience man if we can, even until January when Iversen is more of a possibility.

Why get another youngster in who is not proven at his level what so ever... it will just end out with more people getting on Roeder''s case for bringing in "loanees and kiddy players"

Personally I would rather see someone like Chris Killen, unwanted and Celtic

Yes. Cos he brings experience and proven goal scoring. And is better than nothing.

I still don''t think he is, he doesn''t offer us anything different to what we have. Experience yes, but he won''t offer us anything that we actually need.

Roeder is seeing him in training he must have a better idea than us.

Depends upon the deai, I suppose. I can''t imagine that we would pay him what cardiff were reputed to hve done if money is as tight as everybody says it is.

I have no idea about Hasselbaink (correct) but at the moment he is out of a job (so far as I know) and if he wants a job (who knows?) will not be in a particularly strong position to bargain about wages.

I know footballers are supposed to be a race apart but if they are out of a job and there''s no one else in I am not sure they are.

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]I say get in the experience man if we can, even until January when Iversen is more of a possibility. Why get another youngster in who is not proven at his level what so ever... it will just end out with more people getting on Roeder''s case for bringing in "loanees and kiddy players"[/quote]

SPOT ON ...

Apart from the bit about until January, I''d give him a one year deal (one season). If he''s out of contract and training at Carrow road then hes very much like Chris Sutton was and Dion at this stage of their carrers. I''d give him a shout, lets face it, we had Jarvis, Thorne, Henderson, etc.. and they done nothing b4 being moved on ... at least hasslebanks got a good record.

If he''s crap and past it then all we have lost is the wages, if he''s part of the missing link then who knows?

I just wonder whether Roeder knows this but is afraid to sign him just yet until after the cardiff game and until he has another striker ready, perhaps a double siging of Hasslebank and another strike being unveiled next week?

Cheers All, do we need a poll on this item? What do you think the split would be to have Hasslebank? 50/50?

thanks

[quote user="koimatsuba"]

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]I say get in the experience man if we can, even until January when Iversen is more of a possibility. Why get another youngster in who is not proven at his level what so ever... it will just end out with more people getting on Roeder''s case for bringing in "loanees and kiddy players"[/quote]

SPOT ON ...

Apart from the bit about until January, I''d give him a one year deal (one season). If he''s out of contract and training at Carrow road then hes very much like Chris Sutton was and Dion at this stage of their carrers. I''d give him a shout, lets face it, we had Jarvis, Thorne, Henderson, etc.. and they done nothing b4 being moved on ... at least hasslebanks got a good record.

If he''s crap and past it then all we have lost is the wages, if he''s part of the missing link then who knows?

I just wonder whether Roeder knows this but is afraid to sign him just yet until after the cardiff game and until he has another striker ready, perhaps a double siging of Hasslebank and another strike being unveiled next week?

Cheers All, do we need a poll on this item? What do you think the split would be to have Hasslebank? 50/50?

thanks

[/quote]

And we have probably still got John Harstons shorts knocking about for him to wear which nearly bankrupted the club due to the sheer quantity of raw material

"And we have probably still got John Harstons shorts knocking about for him to wear which nearly bankrupted the club due to the sheer quantity of raw material"

.... Sorry John Hartson hadn''t played for ages and was vastly over weight. Hasselbank is not like hartson.

I can see what your getting at though, its the gamble you take with the older player, I''d still take it!

Cheers

I think he may be worth a punt on pay to play deal. He would almost certainly fair better than the current goal dodgers we currently have upfront.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]He should have stuck to Baywatch....[/quote]No no no no no no.I now have an image of him  running in a tight red swimsuit ala PA.You git.

Think we should sign him up asap. His prescence alone would worry defenders more than anyone we have at the moment.

I can''t believe that Roeder & his scouting team have gotten themselves and the club into such a desperate situation.

I would be very happy with Hasselbaink and the lad Bishop, from Bury.

The Bury fans on 606 recon he''s a dead cert to leave, with us, Ipsiwch and Preston waiting in the wings.