Sign in to follow this  
I beat Atalanta

Chase fans

Martin O''Neill is no fool.  Martin O''Neill knows that to speak ill of a past or present employer is poison in football if you ever want another job. 

But if he has spoken well of Chase I''ve never heard it.  He has always kept completely silent on the subject as far as I know.

What did he say, when and where?

Read Gunnys book if you havent already.. he DOES speak well of Chase... the players all thought Chase was a kind and Generous man... they were all gutted when he left

jas :)

All i know on the subject is Franklin , Martin''s assistant was at carrow rd  shortly after he left and told me in no uncertain terms Martin did  NOT want to leave this club ?   

NCFC was better under Chase, even when we weren''t very good. Chase was a victim of his own success, but Football wise his was a realist and in theory pushed the club to the outer limits.

Chase wasn''t perfect, but compared to Delia and her dinner party style of running a football club, there is no comparison. Give me back that era anytime because we won''t see it again.

[quote user="komakino"]NCFC was better under Chase, even when we weren''t very good. Chase was a victim of his own success, but Football wise his was a realist and in theory pushed the club to the outer limits. Chase wasn''t perfect, but compared to Delia and her dinner party style of running a football club, there is no comparison. Give me back that era anytime because we won''t see it again.[/quote]

I''m sure Preston fans are yearning for the glory years of the 1890''s. Football has moved on, as fans have to as well.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Read Gunnys book if you havent already.. he DOES speak well of Chase... the players all thought Chase was a kind and Generous man... they were all gutted when he left

[/quote]LOL

[quote user="komakino"]NCFC was better under Chase, even when we weren''t very good. Chase was a victim of his own success, but Football wise his was a realist and in theory pushed the club to the outer limits.

Chase wasn''t perfect, but compared to Delia and her dinner party style of running a football club, there is no comparison. Give me back that era anytime because we won''t see it again.[/quote]whilst we can all agree chase did  good things for many years the club was far more cloak and dagger then than it is now, not only did he keep the financial mess we where in from the fans he caused us to lose the best manager we ever had because he lied to him,Whilst the current board withholds certain truths from the general public it appears the managers of the club are always fully informed as to the fainancial support they can expect

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

LOL
[/quote]

dont believe me? get it and see for yourself.

The facts are that under Chase this club experienced its most successful period on the pitch and the ground was improved and the Colney training complex developed. Unfortunately Big Bob financed everything short term which left him open to pressure from the Banks. Although this nearly brought the club to ruin it wasn''t the value of the debt so much as the way it was structured.

Under the cook the ground has improved further but despite a brief flurry the football has gone backwards. Taxi for the cook!! 

I never thought id see the day when people were yearning for the return of  bob the builder.

I certainly dont but the puff and bluster of the current lot'' isnt much better for all the spin they put on it.

They do seem to take the fans for granted even more than he did.

We are more in debt. We have no playing assets, but at least we have a couple of nice new worthless restuarants. Somehow we value the club at over twice the amount he sold it for

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"]Martin O''Neil speaks very well of Robert Chase
[/quote]

He was cynically lynched to pave the way for the arrival of the glorious"Saviour".... A glance at the team''s record when Chase was Chairman says it all.....

But hey...why let reality cloud the issue?

[quote user="crafty canary"]

The facts are that under Chase this club experienced its most successful period on the pitch and the ground was improved and the Colney training complex developed. Unfortunately Big Bob financed everything short term which left him open to pressure from the Banks. Although this nearly brought the club to ruin it wasn''t the value of the debt so much as the way it was structured.

Under the cook the ground has improved further but despite a brief flurry the football has gone backwards. Taxi for the cook!! 

[/quote]Just remember who saved the club from ruin

[quote user="komakino"] Give me back that era anytime because we won''t see it again.[/quote]

Do you think that is to do with the state of football or who is running NCFC.

I say it''s all to do with the state of the game in this country. We could have Peter Cullum in charge with all his money and we still won''t finish 3rd, 4th or 5th in the top flight again.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was cynically lynched

[/quote]

Speaking of cynical, wasn''t he a major shareholder/owner in a very large construction company who also happened to do the majority of building work on our ground???

Most of the work was done during the recession wasn''t it??? a notoriously bad time for the building trade. I wonder if he charged full price or did mates rates???

Funny how people go on about Delia lining her pockets what with the value of shares that she holds, but people always seem to forget things like this.

People being selective in the memories I think.

[quote user="crafty canary"]

[/quote]

This is a damn good summary of the respective regimes. Trouble is is most peoples eyes it''s either Chase was totally evil and The Cook an absolute saint or vice versa. Like most things the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="crafty canary"]

[/quote]

This is a damn good summary of the respective regimes. Trouble is is most peoples eyes it''s either Chase was totally evil and The Cook an absolute saint or vice versa. Like most things the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

[/quote]

Quite so.  It shouldn''t really be about personalities, whether good or evil, but unfortunately in the past two decades we''ve had two people at the top of our club with very overinflated egos. 

It''s all about knowing when to pass on the baton to someone else.  Chase left it too late (a few years ago he admitted as much), and the departure of the present regime is long overdue as well.

[quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was cynically lynched

[/quote]

Speaking of cynical, wasn''t he a major shareholder/owner in a very large construction company who also happened to do the majority of building work on our ground???

Most of the work was done during the recession wasn''t it??? a notoriously bad time for the building trade. I wonder if he charged full price or did mates rates???

Funny how people go on about Delia lining her pockets what with the value of shares that she holds, but people always seem to forget things like this.

[/quote]

Sh1te sonny boy...just look at what we had on the pitch in those days compated to the crap the cook has regularly dished up.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was cynically lynched

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sh1te sonny boy...just look at what we had on the pitch in those days compated to the crap the cook has regularly dished up.

[/quote]

Here''s a question: how would the equivalent teams of Norwich (and other clubs) in your best period match up with today''s top Premier League teams do you think?

How would they do?

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was cynically lynched

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know we were in a higher league and finished in the top five on three occasions under Chase but it''s all relative. Football is now so far removed from what it was back then that it''s untrue. This is shown not shown anywhere more prominently than in the top-flight and even more so at the business end i.e. the top 4, you can''t argue against that or can you??? People go on about how Football has become a business, but it''s gone even further than that it''s now just a Billionare''s plaything, a blackhole for them to throw millions of pound at.

Also what''s your opinion of what I wrote above about all the building work that was done during Chase''s tenure and the fact that he might have possibly done it to line his comapany''s pockets at a time when such a company would be struggling due to the economic climate, plenty of people jump over Delia and her shares what about that though???

Sorry, first paragraph  should say "is not shown anywhere more prominetly".

Should check my posts through before clicking "post".

[quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was cynically lynched

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know we were in a higher league and finished in the top five on three occasions under Chase but it''s all relative. Football is now so far removed from what it was back then that it''s untrue. This is shown not shown anywhere more prominently than in the top-flight and even more so at the business end i.e. the top 4, you can''t argue against that or can you??? People go on about how Football has become a business, but it''s gone even further than that it''s now just a Billionare''s plaything, a blackhole for them to throw millions of pound at.

Also what''s your opinion of what I wrote above about all the building work that was done during Chase''s tenure and the fact that he might have possibly done it to line his comapany''s pockets at a time when such a company would be struggling due to the economic climate, plenty of people jump over Delia and her shares what about that though???

[/quote]

Stevie H, I think you may be confusing Robert Chase with Bob Carter. BC did all the building work in the Watling/South era, in fact when he died his widow married Sir Arthur South. Chase, I think, was more of a local media owner though he probably got mates rates for stuff. Remember, these were the days when most income was in the form of cash at the turnstile, and many things were ''no questions asked''.

Cal, I really don''t think you can compare any side from the past with the current top 4/5 Prem sides. There are so many foreign players/coaches/owners that it would be like comparing apples with oranges. Think about Don Revie''s Leeds of the 60''s or Brian Clough''s side in the 70''s. The players of those times probably couldn''t even hold a conversation with a Prem player today. (Mind you, on reflection, they probably couldn''t hold much of a conversation back then, either).

[quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="crafty canary"]

[/quote]Just remember who saved the club from ruin[/quote]

I do remember, it was Geofrey Watling, God bless his memeory. ''Saint'' Delia bought out his shareholding. I also remember the cook saying that the club should never be in the hands of one person yet who owns the majority of shares in the club and therefore can dictate everything that happens? (and yes I know that she and Michael WJ are joint majority share holders so technically the club are in the hands of two people.)   

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="crafty canary"]

I do remember, it was Geofrey Watling, God bless his memeory. ''Saint'' Delia bought out his shareholding. I also remember the cook saying that the club should never be in the hands of one person yet who owns the majority of shares in the club and therefore can dictate everything that happens? (and yes I know that she and Michael WJ are joint majority share holders so technically the club are in the hands of two people.)   

[/quote]

Yes, and i also remember G.Watling stating that the major problem the club had was that it was "asset-rich but cash-poor".  I wonder, given the tens of millions spent on fixed assets in the last decade, what he would think of the current boards efforts to address this problem....?

[quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="crafty canary"]

Care to tell me  was DD? I might of missed something here.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="crafty canary"]

Care to tell me  was DD? I might of missed something here.

[/quote]Harsh reality is that it was Jon Newsome, Ashley Ward, Craig Bellamy and Keith O''Neill who played the biggest part in "saving this Club form ruin". Spin it all you like, the sale of players kept us afloat not a major cash injection from Delia.