Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Cardiff this Saturday

Call me fickle if you like but I''ve decided not to go. We went to the Coventry match, a whole day out and about £150 in total (four of us)and I just can''t face another similar sum and more disappointment at Cardiff. IF the situation chnages in next couple of days and a decent striker comes in in time for Saturday then I''ll change my mind but there''s a limit to how much expensive and time consuming disappointment and frustration I am prepared to put up with. I am genuinely fed up with going to away grounds and coming away thinking "was that worth it" often to jeers from the home supporters season after season. If the club shows more commitment and loyalty to us the supporters and brings in a decent striker then I will reciprocate and carry on travelling to away matches.

i pity anyone whos using club Cabbage (club Canary) to get to Cardiff this weekend.. according to the match programme its £30 for coach ticket!!!!! cheaper to fly there almost!

rail is expensive but probably works out value for money in the long run when going away...particularly if its far away.... toilets and refreshments when needed... drinking without worrying about driving... if you have rail cards you can make good savings too

jas :)

I don''t think anyone would blame you going to football matches is an expensive business.  I was thinking of going myself, but like you have decided it is too expensive.

[quote user="canarytom"]Thanks for sharing that with us. I feel all the better for reading it[/quote]

What I was trying to get across was the fact that I have now almost reached exasperation point with the club. I have supported Norwich through thick and thin for more years than I care to remember and if I have decided that enough is enough and I am no longer prepared for the club to take advantage of my loyalty and goodwill then surely others must be thinking the same. Therefore, is the tipping point fast approaching when support will start to slide and we see a return to the 12K/13K attendances of not so very long ago ? How much disenchantment can the average fan take ? Surely, the Celebrity Chef and her cronies must realise that there is only so much that fans can take so they shouldn''t be taken for granted which is why I get fed up with the apologists on this board. The more we continue turning up in big numbers unquestioningly every other week to Carrow Road the more we reinforce the current regime and thier contempt of us the paying public. Sorry for havingto share that with you Canary Tom !

Totally agree M''Lord.

We go to most away games and we were at Cardiff last year when we won.

The thing that gets me more than anything else is the continual poor performances put in particularly away. It really does make you feel ashamed after 90 mins when we haven''t even made a game of it and you walk away from the ground with the crowing of the home supporters ringing in your ears.

That''s why I was so pleased with the Coventry game. Yes we lost but you knew their supporters appreciated our team''s contribution.

I never thought i would become so defeatist but, frankly, if we don''t sort this striker situation out this week I really do fear for the worse at Cardiff and for the longer term.

All the good work by our back 5 and midfield (Fozzie? No!) will be wasted and confidence will evaporate quickly.

Leadership comes from the top and i don''t mean the Manager. There is no leadership.

Hopefully, sometime, someone, something will happen and meanwhile i can do without the mindless meanderings of Doomcaster.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Totally agree M''Lord. We go to most away games and we were at Cardiff last year when we won. The thing that gets me more than anything else is the continual poor performances put in particularly away. It really does make you feel ashamed after 90 mins when we haven''t even made a game of it and you walk away from the ground with the crowing of the home supporters ringing in your ears. That''s why I was so pleased with the Coventry game. Yes we lost but you knew their supporters appreciated our team''s contribution. I never thought i would become so defeatist but, frankly, if we don''t sort this striker situation out this week I really do fear for the worse at Cardiff and for the longer term. All the good work by our back 5 and midfield (Fozzie? No!) will be wasted and confidence will evaporate quickly. Leadership comes from the top and i don''t mean the Manager. There is no leadership. Hopefully, sometime, someone, something will happen and meanwhile i can do without the mindless meanderings of Doomcaster.[/quote]

We were pleased too with our performance at Coventry and no question we should have won. However, we still took alot of jeering nastiness from some Coventry supporters on the way out of the ground.

I go to a good few away games every season and always look out for the new grounds( and the regular favourites) when the fixture list is published, but Cardiff  has never been one of those. Too many people have said that it is a terrible place to visit, some of it down to the mentality of Cardiff fans...so unless someone can recommend it, (other than in hindsight after a 2-0 win), I will continue with my plans to go on my hols to Cornwall and not take a detour over the Severn Bridge.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

I go to a good few away games every season and always look out for the new grounds( and the regular favourites) when the fixture list is published, but Cardiff  has never been one of those. Too many people have said that it is a terrible place to visit, some of it down to the mentality of Cardiff fans...so unless someone can recommend it, (other than in hindsight after a 2-0 win), I will continue with my plans to go on my hols to Cornwall and not take a detour over the Severn Bridge.

[/quote]

At the moment I am struggling to find a hotel in Wales. Someone has told me that Madonna is playing there as well - not for Cardiff, I suspect!

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="Hooleyfan"]

[/quote]

At the moment I am struggling to find a hotel in Wales. Someone has told me that Madonna is playing there as well - not for Cardiff, I suspect!

[/quote]

I thought I read elsewhere that the prima donna had left Cardiff and was training with us

I think this is the key to the feelings around at the moment.

We know we have players that can play football but we have no faith whatsoever that we have the players to win football matches. It really is a sad state of affairs that we cannot see possibilities of winning games at present despite some tidy play. We need a Target man and we need him quick before everyone gets used to close but no cigar gallant losers like in the premiership season.

badger

madonna is at the millenium saterday night

there are no hotels in cardiff or newport unless you stay at the celtic manor about £200 a room (fab hotel though)

Best bet is Bristol about 45 mins to the centre of bristol from cardiff and the m4 is probably the best way at the weekend

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

I think this is the key to the feelings around at the moment.

We know we have players that can play football but we have no faith whatsoever that we have the players to win football matches. It really is a sad state of affairs that we cannot see possibilities of winning games at present despite some tidy play. We need a Target man and we need him quick before everyone gets used to close but no cigar gallant losers like in the premiership season.

[/quote]

Hi KG, just turned on my compooter. Are you going this Saturday / You live in Southampton don''t you ?

I thought I''d share my "Coventry experience" as my learned friend Bury Yellow has put pen to paper on this. I went, stood in the "away pub" while two blokes tried to play pool in a room clearly too full for such athletic pursuits and stuck their arses in peoples faces (an Olypic sport for 2012 perhaps?), watched us play reasonably well, saw the ref (predicatably,  given the D''Urso situation) award the softest of penalties ag''in us and drove home. As I left on 90 minutes some chap with peroxide hair said "Thanks for coming" with what I took to be a tinge of sarcasm (to my 16 year old son). It was my son''s first away game and I suspect it may be his last.   

Diligently we reported to Carrow on Sat. My whole family (yes, four season tickets) with our early season optimism, did manage to grab a free Blue Scarf (you couldn''t make it up) and then sat , watching City winning corner after corner, only to see the resulting Dead Ball (how apt) get headed away by a player at least three feet taller than Cureton or Little Arthur.

When it becomes a chore to go to watch City the A11 seems about 300 miles long. Could be 400 after Birmingham.   

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Badger. Try Brecon or Buith Wells. There some decent hotels there and a good run into Cardiff[/quote]

Will do - thanks!

[quote user="yellowngreen"]

badger

madonna is at the millenium saterday night

there are no hotels in cardiff or newport unless you stay at the celtic manor about £200 a room (fab hotel though)

Best bet is Bristol about 45 mins to the centre of bristol from cardiff and the m4 is probably the best way at the weekend

[/quote]

Thanks yellowngreen. £200 a night a bit too rich for me! Someone else has suggested Breacon but if not I will try Bristol. Thanks again!

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Call me fickle if you like but I''ve decided not to go. We went to the Coventry match, a whole day out and about £150 in total (four of us)and I just can''t face another similar sum and more disappointment at Cardiff. IF the situation chnages in next couple of days and a decent striker comes in in time for Saturday then I''ll change my mind but there''s a limit to how much expensive and time consuming disappointment and frustration I am prepared to put up with. I am genuinely fed up with going to away grounds and coming away thinking "was that worth it" often to jeers from the home supporters season after season. If the club shows more commitment and loyalty to us the supporters and brings in a decent striker then I will reciprocate and carry on travelling to away matches.[/quote]

You obviously didn''t go to Cardiff last year!!!

hope you have a comfortable armchair to sit in while listening to radio norfolk!

[quote user="bristol_canary"]

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]Call me fickle if you like but I''ve decided not to go. We went to the Coventry match, a whole day out and about £150 in total (four of us)and I just can''t face another similar sum and more disappointment at Cardiff. IF the situation chnages in next couple of days and a decent striker comes in in time for Saturday then I''ll change my mind but there''s a limit to how much expensive and time consuming disappointment and frustration I am prepared to put up with. I am genuinely fed up with going to away grounds and coming away thinking "was that worth it" often to jeers from the home supporters season after season. If the club shows more commitment and loyalty to us the supporters and brings in a decent striker then I will reciprocate and carry on travelling to away matches.[/quote]

hope you have a comfortable armchair to sit in while listening to radio norfolk!

Travelling to Cardiff from Norfolk takes considerably longer and costs considerably more than travelling from Bristol by my reckoning.

I go to about 10 away games each season but after least season (9 games 0 wins) and the abject no-show at MK last Tuesday i think i might start to curb my masochism. It irks me further to be vilified by armchair supporters when i dare to express my disgust at the performances away from carrow rd.

In fact, i think the away attendances are probably a truer barometer of support than home attendances made predominantly from pre-paid season ticket holders and bloated by cheap tickets for kiddies, so forgetting the blip that usual comes from blind optimism (i.e. the turnout at Ricoh) let''s see how the attendances diminish this season as support for Glen''s impoverished squad led my captain invisible wanes.

[/quote]

[quote user="bristol_canary"]

[/quote]

Travelling to Cardiff from Norfolk takes considerably longer and costs considerably more than travelling from Bristol by my reckoning.

I go to about 10 away games each season but after least season (9 games 0 wins) and the abject no-show at MK last Tuesday i think i might start to curb my masochism. It irks me further to be vilified by armchair supporters when i dare to express my disgust at the performances away from carrow rd.

In fact, i think the away attendances are probably a truer barometer of support than home attendances made predominantly from pre-paid season ticket holders and bloated by cheap tickets for kiddies, so forgetting the blip that usual comes from blind optimism (i.e. the turnout at Ricoh) let''s see how the attendances diminish this season as support for Glen''s impoverished squad led my captain invisible wanes.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

You must have been unlucky last season to get 0-9 FTFW. I just looked back and counted 5-20 that I saw. The longest journey was Plymouth and we didn''t turn up and lost 3-0. The Cardiff trip was ok though, in fact we have won the last twice I went and I''m gutted to miss it this time. The mid-week victories at Blackpool and Southampton came during our recovery when for a short time our away form was better than our home form. But those days are few and far between and the Plymouths and Wolves of last season are always more likely. You pays your money and takes your chance but all in all it''s better to go than watch it on the wireless which I will spend a frustrating afternoon doing this Saturday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

You must have been unlucky last season to get 0-9 FTFW. I just looked back and counted 5-20 that I saw. The longest journey was Plymouth and we didn''t turn up and lost 3-0. The Cardiff trip was ok though, in fact we have won the last twice I went and I''m gutted to miss it this time. The mid-week victories at Blackpool and Southampton came during our recovery when for a short time our away form was better than our home form. But those days are few and far between and the Plymouths and Wolves of last season are always more likely. You pays your money and takes your chance but all in all it''s better to go than watch it on the wireless which I will spend a frustrating afternoon doing this Saturday.

[/quote]

yes, i had the misfortune to witness the debacles at Plymouth and Wolves , the pathetic performances at qpr and leicester plus defeats at charlton, watford, bristol city.

my only relative sucessful trips were the scraped draws at preston and colchester.

I was contemplating Cardiff but we were abysmal at MK and p!ss poor on Saturday in my opinion so like the originator of this post i''m going to pass on wasting another day and a considerable sum of money.

Went to Cardiff last year as we were playing well at the time and as i want to try and go to all the league grounds i thought i might aswell go to Cardiff while we are playing well and it payed off. But as we are playing badly and dont really have alot of money i thought i will give it a miss for this year

As a lot of my family live in Wales, I would be surprised if people wanted to stay at Brecon, it is a bit of a drive from Cardiff.

Coming from England, you could try Hereford, Abergavenny, or if you want to travel slightly further down the motorway Swansea is within an easy distance.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes, i had the misfortune to witness the debacles at Plymouth and Wolves , the pathetic performances at qpr and leicester plus defeats at charlton, watford, bristol city.

my only relative sucessful trips were the scraped draws at preston and colchester.

I was contemplating Cardiff but we were abysmal at MK and p!ss poor on Saturday in my opinion so like the originator of this post i''m going to pass on wasting another day and a considerable sum of money.

[/quote]

apologies. we drew at watford. and apart from the gut-wrenching trip to Bristol was probably my best match