GCSE Results

Had a lot of people on here last week celebrating their A Levels, how

about the youngsters getting their GCSEs today? Anyone care to share

the joy?

CT, where art thou?

Come on, enjoy it while you can!

I did 2 of mine a year early, and got the results today:

Maths: A

English as a Second Language: A* (Sounds stupid I know but we all did it as a sortof practice GCSE, and because we can because our schools in Spain, so if we can get another easy GCSE, why not?)

And although I did it last year and got the result a year ago I also have:

Spanish: A*

I''m realy happy! Got less to do next year!

OTBC

haven''t heard anything on the news yet but i assume the kids are smarter again this year, you have to have an IQ of a goldfish to get less than 34 A***** ++++ **''s

It were hard in my day!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Had a lot of people on here last week celebrating their A Levels, how

about the youngsters getting their GCSEs today? Anyone care to share

the joy?

CT, where art thou?

Come on, enjoy it while you can!

[/quote]How about you Mr. Monkey? Did you end up getting that full complement of A/A*s?

[quote user="Marty"]

haven''t heard anything on the news yet but i assume the kids are smarter again this year, you have to have an IQ of a goldfish to get less than 34 A***** ++++ **''s

It were hard in my day!

[/quote]

In mine too.

I used to live in a wet cardboard box in the middle of the motorway with a handful of hot shingle for breakfast.

[quote user="I. Shurmer"]How about you Mr. Monkey? Did you end up getting that full complement of A/A*s?[/quote]

I got 3 As and an A*......... ten years ago! Was just interested to see how the young''uns got on today...

A Level & GCSE passes are doled out like sweets these days and are barely worth the paper they''re written on.Do a search in Google and check out A & O Level exam papers from the Sixties/Seventies and compare them to todays.

And how would you know it''s not hard nowadays, have you sat their exact exams?!

When I did my GCSEs in 2004 (and same for A-Levels in 2006) I worked incredibly hard to get my grades (GCSE - 1A, 6B, 3C/A-Level 1AS - C, 1C, 2D) only to be told that they''re getting easier, I think it''s rubbish and an insult to the students themselves.

Why can''t the nation be positive and think maybe teachings improving and therefore students will do better?  But that wouldn''t be British would it.

Also, all this sensational media about the attitude of children, how they''re all roaming the streets being bad.... Directly contradicts the facts that people are generally getting good grades.  Wouldn''t want anyone thinking teenagers aren''t all bad would they!

I know its hardly a yardstick, since their collective IQ can''t be any

more than Sharp Shooter''s, but a number of Radio 1 DJs have taken the

maths GCSE this year and results include 7%, 14% and 19%.... I think

its a myth that they''re getting easier, I just reckon that a lot of it

is being spoon-fed rather than kids actually having to think about it...

Yeah, I got a high proportion of A/A*s about 8 years ago. I have no doubt they were FAR harder back then, even though I actually have no knowledge of what they''re like these days. Frankly, I''m just going to go with it, because it makes me feel more clevererer...

[quote user="shyster"]A Level & GCSE passes are doled out like sweets these days and are barely worth the paper they''re written on.

Do a search in Google and check out A & O Level exam papers from the Sixties/Seventies and compare them to todays.[/quote]

Nothing like claiming the intellectual high ground is there! You can only beat what''s put in front of you! Well done to all those who''ve posted their results,and any others who haven''t.And,yes,where are you CT?

I am happy to say that my school achieved 100% A*-C with one student managing 12 A*''s and 1 A, I think a payrise is in order!

Got mine today..

1 A* (Business Studies)
5 A   (Maths, Media, Graphics, Science, Additional Science)
4 B   (Eng Lang, Eng Lit, German, P.E)

nothing under B [:)]

1 A* - Maths

6 A''s - English Lit, Science, Additional Science, Statistics, Business Studies, Electronics

3 B''s - English Language, ICT, Geography

Well done to everyone who recieved there results today [Y] 

Sorry to the person suggesting that I am being cynical about the contual improvement in examination results in the UK but the simple reality is not that people are getting smarter.

Why are universities struggling to recruit decent students? why do they need to have their own tests, that wasn;t the case 10+ years ago was it?

By awarding too many top grades and then inventing new higher grades they are just devaluing the results. This is the society in which no-one can fail, there are no losers, an average grade used to be a C now it is higher, then why not mark more strictly and keep the average at a C grade? because C sounds sh*t and everyone gets upset since they no longer feel like a genius! the facts is these A-graders are not all special, so why make them feel special? how will that affect them when they enter the harsh reality of the "real world"?

I have taught students at univeristy with good grades, one kid with 3 or 4 A''s, so I am in a position to judge myself. For the record I only got one subject with a grade above a C, that makes me average and that is about fair.

I am not having ago at the kids, merely the education system and it''s marking which is not sustainable.

[quote user="Marty"]

Sorry to the person suggesting that I am being cynical about the contual improvement in examination results in the UK but the simple reality is not that people are getting smarter.

Why are universities struggling to recruit decent students? why do they need to have their own tests, that wasn;t the case 10+ years ago was it?

By awarding too many top grades and then inventing new higher grades they are just devaluing the results. This is the society in which no-one can fail, there are no losers, an average grade used to be a C now it is higher, then why not mark more strictly and keep the average at a C grade? because C sounds sh*t and everyone gets upset since they no longer feel like a genius! the facts is these A-graders are not all special, so why make them feel special? how will that affect them when they enter the harsh reality of the "real world"?

I have taught students at univeristy with good grades, one kid with 3 or 4 A''s, so I am in a position to judge myself. For the record I only got one subject with a grade above a C, that makes me average and that is about fair.

I am not having ago at the kids, merely the education system and it''s marking which is not sustainable.

[/quote]

More or less what I said, but put much more eloquently.Thanks, Marty.

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="Marty"]

It were hard in my day!

[/quote]

In mine too.

I used to live in a wet cardboard box in the middle of the motorway with a handful of hot shingle for breakfast.

[/quote]

This made me chuckle, I can tell you !!!

[quote]This made me chuckle, I can tell you !!![/quote]

Yeah, very Pythonesque...."Tell that to the kids today and they won''t believe you!"

The fact of the matter is that universities are now run as businesses rather than educational institutes. This is, IMO, because the Government have decided it is far better to have a p****-measuring statistic like "xx% of our young people go on to university" than actually focus on suitably targeted vocational/non-vocational courses.The upshot of this is that you get a lot of people going to university who simply should not be going to university, whether it be that a vocational course is more suitable to their planned career, or they simply do not have the ability. This ends up with a large percentage graduates who get crap degrees, in crap incomparable subjects, or have to drop out (but still ending up in debt).The fact that GCSE/A level pass rates (I think) keep increasing are another example of the statistics culture of this Government. Do we honestly believe that a) standards are increasing, and b) young people are getting cleverer - or is it more spin to make it look (from the outside) look like educational standards are increasing? I''m not so sure myself, but have no direct experience of this so can''t accurately comment.The upshot of this is that it is far, FAR easier to get into university than it should be, and this is actively encouraged by a Government who aren''t really interested in quality of higher education and graduates, but more shovelling their latest statistic through the system.

Perhaps students nowadays work harder, and therefore gain the better grades because of the bigger focus on university, and so targets, more so than 20 years ago!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]When I did my GCSEs in 2004 (and same for A-Levels in 2006) I worked incredibly hard to get my grades (GCSE - 1A, 6B, 3C/A-Level 1AS - C, 1C, 2D) only to be told that they''re getting easier, I think it''s rubbish and an insult to the students themselves.[/quote]Exactly. Perhaps these people should try taking these courses themselves?There may be some truth in it but you still have to work bloody hard to get good grades (for what it''s worth when I did my GCSEs in 2003 I got 2 Bs, 3 Cs and the rest Ds and Es. I got a C and an E at A-Level and E at AS-Level, quite modest compared to some but I still worked hard for them and I was generally pleased with what I got).

[quote user="Huddy "]

Perhaps students nowadays work harder, and therefore gain the better grades because of the bigger focus on university, and so targets, more so than 20 years ago!

[/quote]

that''s funny that!

[quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]Sorry Marty but I have to disagree. Competition for top university places is getting harder and harder because the quality of the students is rapidly improving.The fact is universities aren''t struggling to get decent students, it''s the opposite. The students are better than ever. Only Cambridge and Oxford have tests, and generally they are just logic tests that aren''t really relied on fully to give an accurate portrayal of how good a student is. The thing is, the results are normally distributed. This should be fine in theory. But a lot of students who are failing or achieving poor grades drop out before they take their tests, either in the first year or in the second year. I know at least 30 maybe 40 who have done this. And a good half dozen are very good friends of mine. In the past, when less people used to take A-levels (GCE''s) a D or an E would be good, you''d be in top percentage of the workforce. But with more academic subjects which are more avaliable to more of the student population those E''s aren''t good enough any more. Add to that the ability to re-take certain modules and the vast sylabus. It dilutes the normal distibution. The reality is, is that the examination system isn''t perfect and never will be. Do you sacrifice a large broad sylabus for a more concentrated but more complex range of subjects? Do you get rid of re-takes? Do you make studying A-levels compulsary? I''ve got a place at a top top university next year. Probably by the skin of my teeth and not to boast but I''m a good student, in the top percentages of the country. That''s how difficult it is.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

Sorry Marty but I have to disagree. Competition for top university places is getting harder and harder because the quality of the students is rapidly improving.

The fact is universities aren''t struggling to get decent students, it''s the opposite. The students are better than ever. Only Cambridge and Oxford have tests, and generally they are just logic tests that aren''t really relied on fully to give an accurate portrayal of how good a student is.

The thing is, the results are normally distributed. This should be fine in theory. But a lot of students who are failing or achieving poor grades drop out before they take their tests, either in the first year or in the second year. I know at least 30 maybe 40 who have done this. And a good half dozen are very good friends of mine. In the past, when less people used to take A-levels (GCE''s) a D or an E would be good, you''d be in top percentage of the workforce. But with more academic subjects which are more avaliable to more of the student population those E''s aren''t good enough any more. Add to that the ability to re-take certain modules and the vast sylabus. It dilutes the normal distibution.

The reality is, is that the examination system isn''t perfect and never will be. Do you sacrifice a large broad sylabus for a more concentrated but more complex range of subjects? Do you get rid of re-takes? Do you make studying A-levels compulsary?

I''ve got a place at a top top university next year. Probably by the skin of my teeth and not to boast but I''m a good student, in the top percentages of the country. That''s how difficult it is.
[/quote]

Surely the competition is higher since more people want to go there? Also, there is a far higher emphasis on university education from the governement.