Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Green and Yellow

Re: Doomcaster?

[quote user="Mighty Green and Yellow"]When you see Doomcaster doing that grin, does it scare you?[/quote]

Makes me want to bash him

[quote user="Mighty Green and Yellow"]When you see Doomcaster doing that grin, does it scare you?[/quote]

Fagan "in this life one thing counts, in the bank large amounts"

Gotta pick a pocket or 2(0000)

Strange what some people think of Doncaster, for instance most people would agree with what''s written below, yet if he was to say it, he would be slated.  Just an observation.

Madejski right to hit out at wages

• Paul Fletcher
  • 19 Aug 08, 08:49 PM

Reading chairman John Madejski

once said that the best way to make a million in football is to invest

10 million, the suggestion being that for whatever reason the other

nine disappears along the way.

It would be a fair assumption that the Royals chairman had players'' wages in mind to at least some degree.

After all, as far back as May 2003 he opined from his luxury home:

"There are three things wrong with football: players'' wages, players''

wages and players'' wages. If you sort that out, you sort football out

as far as I''m concerned."

As such I guess nobody should have been all that surprised when the 67-year-old recently told BBC Radio Berkshire that footballer''s wages are "obscene".

madejski438.jpg"I

think players are paid quite enough already and they don''t need to be

as high as they are," said the man who made his substantial fortune as

the founder of Auto Trader.

"I''m pleased they get good salaries - that''s only right - but it''s gone off the Richter scale."

I''ve spoken to a couple of Reading fans about this and I wouldn''t

say it was exactly the news they wanted to hear. They are more than

familiar with Madejski''s fiscal prudence and his theories on the

salaries of his key assets.

What they what to hear is that most of the £8.5m raised from the sale of David Kitson to Stoke and Nicky Shorey to Aston Villa will be reinvested in the transfer market.

It isn''t going to happen.

Reading received a parachute payment of £11m but Madejski reckons

relegation from the Premier League cost his club £22m. What''s more, he

has made it clear that plenty of funds have been used in extensive

"remedial work" on the stadium. Add to that the large squad of players

at the club and reduced season ticket sales of 14,000 and the owner has

a strong case for suggesting that the club need to "cut our coat

according to our cloth."

I''ve been told that the staff at the club took a substantial pay cut

as a consequence of relegation, while the cash raised from the sale of

players will be used to underpin the deficit incurred as a result of

Reading dropping out of the Premier League.

I think there is a lot to admire in a chairman running his club with

a very definite eye on the bottom line. Football is littered with tales

of boom and bust, ridiculous overspending and chronic mismanagement.

Fans want to hear about exciting new arrivals, though surely not as

much as they don''t want to hear about their club entering

administration.

But is Madejski correct when he suggests that the biggest problem in football is players'' wages?

I have trouble computing the supposed figures involved in Frank Lampard''s new contract at Chelsea. Can any sportsman be worth a reported £150,000 per week?

Some would suggest that football is now entertainment, not to

mention a business of supply and demand. Footballers are the stars of

the show, the reason people pass through the turnstiles and buy replica

shirts and all the other merchandise that is now available, and if a

club is generating huge sums of money as they mine ever-expanding

markets then why shouldn''t players be paid their slice of the pie?

And to an extent I think the aforementioned argument holds water.

The top players in the Premier League are the faces of global brands,

superstars. Whether they are cosseted, pampered and spoilt with no idea

of what it is to be a normal human being is another argument entirely.

But what about wages in the Football League?

A survey in 2006

revealed that the average Championship footballer earns £195,750 per

year, or to put it another way £3,764 a week. The figure dropped to

£67,850 in League One and £49,600 in League Two.

I would be absolutely staggered if there were no footballers in the

Championship earning at least £20,000 per week - just over £1m each

year.

You could argue that if your club brought in a top player who made

the difference between promotion and a near miss, then he would

certainly be worth every penny of a £1m a year contract. But how many

of these are there in the Championship? Not many.

And as I have read story after story over the summer months of

managers talking about their frustrations in the transfer market

because players are waiting on deals, hoping something better will come

along, it underlines the belief that for most footballers, or their

agents or a combination of the two, cash is a prime motivation. Yes,

footballers have short careers and must look after their own interests,

but the relationship between club and cash is one that often ruptures a

player''s loyalty.

Looking at the bigger picture can it really be right that a

footballer in the second tier of the English game earns so much for

playing football when so many other people in unquestionably important

professions, people who save lives, or educate children or serve the

public in so many other ways, earn a pittance in comparison? It is part

of the reason why my Dad no longer bothers to watch the team he

supports, the price of admission being another key factor. The argument

sounds a bit worthy but that doesn''t mean it isn''t right.

I think Madejski is right when he says that salaries have gone off the Richter scale. Do you?

Interesting article which we should all take heed of, especially this extract -

"I think there is a lot to admire in a chairman running his club with a very definite eye on the bottom line. Football is littered with tales of boom and bust, ridiculous overspending and chronic mismanagement. Fans want to hear about exciting new arrivals, though surely not as much as they don''t want to hear about their club entering administration".

His time will come and it could be a lot sooner than we all think ..... the clock is ticking!

It''s not what people want to hear, but a Chief Exec''s role is to ensure the "success" and stability of the organisation he or she heads up. In business terms - and ND is a business man - NCFC is a relatively successful business among clubs in the Championship and even the Prem. Ergo, he is doing his job well.<duck>

And in the world of business it is the market and supply and demand which rules. So until clubs start to go bust because of players wages, they will continue at their current rates. They''re probably about as high as they can go as we have seen a few bankruptcies already. Unless someone like FIFA intervene, but they would probably be stopped in the courts under restraint of trade laws.Not saying it''s right, but it''s how a free market works.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]And in the world of business it is the market and supply and demand which rules. So until clubs start to go bust because of players wages, they will continue at their current rates. They''re probably about as high as they can go as we have seen a few bankruptcies already. Unless someone like FIFA intervene, but they would probably be stopped in the courts under restraint of trade laws.Not saying it''s right, but it''s how a free market works.[/quote]I doubt that the restraint of trade laws would rule out something like a wage cap.  1) There is one in rugby league already, although it is routinely flouted, the players wives get fortunes for doing some "cleaning".2) Its not much different from limiting the number of players that can play in each match.

It strikes me as odd, or is it just not what people want to read on this board, that there is so little reaction to the Reading Chairman''s article. It tells it as it is, but is clearly not the message that the anti Delia/Doncaster brigade want to hear.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]It strikes me as odd, or is it just not what people want to read on this board, that there is so little reaction to the Reading Chairman''s article. It tells it as it is, but is clearly not the message that the anti Delia/Doncaster brigade want to hear.[/quote]I think it''s simply most people have no argument against it Jack.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Jack Flash"]It strikes me as odd, or is it just not what people want to read on this board, that there is so little reaction to the Reading Chairman''s article. It tells it as it is, but is clearly not the message that the anti Delia/Doncaster brigade want to hear.[/quote]

I think it''s simply most people have no argument against it Jack.
[/quote]

I put a positive quote up against this article + made a comment about the number of reasons we would be given about why it didn''t apply to Norwich. This was cut and the fact that the post got merged is really frustrating. This article was one of the most sensible posts put on here for days and is not getting the attention it deserves.

Mods - put it back up in its own thread - it is something that deserves to be discussed! Please?

i wouldn''t be surprised to see a champs club go under, but its more likely to be a club with large debts, which it cannot affordto service, than clubs run by speculative investors who put their own money in and are prepared to lose it...

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Nuff Said"]And in the world of business it is the market and supply and demand which rules. So until clubs start to go bust because of players wages, they will continue at their current rates. They''re probably about as high as they can go as we have seen a few bankruptcies already. Unless someone like FIFA intervene, but they would probably be stopped in the courts under restraint of trade laws.

Not saying it''s right, but it''s how a free market works.
[/quote]

I doubt that the restraint of trade laws would rule out something like a wage cap. 
1) There is one in rugby league already, although it is routinely flouted, the players wives get fortunes for doing some "cleaning".
2) Its not much different from limiting the number of players that can play in each match.
[/quote]

There is a wage cap in League Two to stop some sugar daddy buying a club out by hiring Premier League players on £90,000 a week. Total expenditure on wages must not exceed a certain limit, defined by the particular club''s income.

As I understand Southampton are not in a very good position at the moment - and Watford are in disarray.  Unlike Delia, the Watford principal shareholder (and they are traded shares as Watford Leisure PLC) can''t wait to get out except they can''t find a buyer.

Watford had a few good years until Elton John''s enthusiasm ran out, producing a memorable quote from a Watford fan: "This is where the candle in the wind went out first."

I think there will be casualties, perhaps not this season, but possibly within the next couple of years.  There is every chance of a recession, if we aren''t in one already, and that will hit football clubs as much as anything else.

Football is recession resistant as

opposed to recession proof. All this has been in the air for years but

(and this is just a guess) I reckon the ones who are most likely to

berate Doncaster, and by association Madejski, are the same ones who thought a 125% mortgage was sensible 6 months ago.

as long TV keep pumping the money in, then the prem is bomb proof - however if it dried up, then they''d be trouble, as many prem clubs it seems have already borrowed money on future TV income - according to man city spokesman/,. i doubt if many champs clubs can borrow a bean, unless they have collateral - and so they are not immune to the problems associated in the current economic conditions of rising inflation and stagnant growth - such as, rising running costs, depressed ticket sales, depressed merchandising sales, depressed food/refreshment sales and reduced income streams from corporate sponsors,,,add in inflationary pressures from rising players wages, and yep - its entirely valid that a champs club could struggle to pay their way/borrow their way - outa trouble this season.,/

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

Just you relax, I know what''s best for you!

[/quote]That picture is soul destroying.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]

That picture is soul destroying.
[/quote]

Smuggysmugsmuggysmugsmugsmuggy..........and smuggerer.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]

That picture is soul destroying.
[/quote]

And, the sole subject - who could be destroying the soul of the club......

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Nothing to say about the article Mello ?  Or would that require you to leave your keyboard autopilot mode ?
[/quote]

Yes, it''s boring.......and so are you. So there.