Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

We need 2 strikers!

We would appear to be very short of goals in our team. We have players who can create but do we have players who can convert. It would seem not. So we need goal scorers. One is not enough, if this new guy we sign next week (as we are lead to believe) gets injured we''re back to square on. We can''t rely on the strikers we have. So one striker is not enough. Given that the player may well be Ameobi who is injury prone we could be watching a lot of nice football but witnessing very few goals. It worries me more and more that we have ignored the hardest position to fill with true quality and acquired a player who whilst having some nice control and vision isn''t a natural goal scorer and a raw kid who is here for the experience. OTBC

Agree with that, give Curo a big uglyman, then he will score, Lupo will be more a of a playmaker and will wnat a poacher, he ran at the defences very well, I would like a very quick direct striker too.

The players who played in the four midfield positions today scored less than ten goals between them last season. Ok - we have Bell to come in presumably as a first choice when he''s fit but he won''t score hatfuls. The lack of goals from midfield, and defence if last season is anything to go by, puts an enormous responsibility on the front two. To get in the top six, realistically you need a minimum of sixty goals and usually nearer seventy. Maybe I''m missing something obvious but I just can''t see us scoring enough goals, even if we obtain a twenty goal target man, to be a serious threat this season. There just aren''t enough goals in the players we have and to get between forty and fifty goals from one new striker plus Jamie, Lupoli and OJ looks rather unlikely from where I''m sitting.

Roeder is saying that, when the new striker arrives, the other 3 will be fighting for 1 place, so he obviously really rates him. Also, don''t forget this year''s midfield has got Bell & Hoolahan, both potential goalscorers, plus didn''t Kennedy go close today? I reckon he & Stefanovich could be worth a few from set-pieces.I am still optimistic (OK, mostly for personal reasons ) that Iversen is coming. I''m seeing my mole tomorrow, so I''m hoping for good news .......

Yes we need strikers to score, but we need others to help alot too, all the promoted teams have defenders and midfielders who score their fair share and we need to be the same.

Very true!

Just witnessed Norwich outplay a very ordinary Coventry side who beat us by 2 goals cause we were largely toothless upfront!

[quote user="scott"]

Very true!

Just witnessed Norwich outplay a very ordinary Coventry side who beat us by 2 goals cause we were largely toothless upfront!

[/quote]

Very well said, that sums up today nicely.

Agreed, Hardhouse. The priority is someone who can put away the chances without thinking about it (e.g., Kevin Phillips or Earnie).

Right, we have had this done before. Lets compile a list of serious potential targets, not the Ronneys etc, but people who would come here.

Helgusan (spelling) Bolton

Rasiak

Jerome

Beckford

Iverson

Shola

Anymore?

If I may venture my opinion...

From what I saw, we appeared to play the Arsenal game and try to walk the ball into the net. There was a worrying lack of actual attempts on goal, save for a few... although I did enjoy Clingans drive in the second half. This is the main reason I believe Ched was so successful here, when he got the ball he just worked some space and took a shot rather than trying to find another pass.

Another thing that I picked up on was that we our central midfield were NOWHERE near the attacking standard that we need. Countless times Croft, Hoolahan, most often Lupoli and once very particularly... Koroma (I keep wanting to call him Makiese or Ogbeche) were in space left or right of the area and cut it back to... taa daa, no one. The fowards had already made their runs, and we needed a midfielder arriving late for a cut back...  AKA Goals McRussel, who should have been introduced earlier imo.

Just my thoughts, though...