Sign in to follow this  
TheboyMark

Roeder's post-match analysis...

Quelle surprise that again we''re subjected to the trusty "I counted x or y great chances...." spiel.  I''m sorry, but if this wasn''t an utter carbon copy of countless times he said the same thing last season then maybe more of us would be sitting here tonight thinking ''bad luck today..it''ll come good''.  The point is, he knew this most of last season yet we STILL have no striker on the books who many of us would feel confident in a decent goals-to-chances ratio.  I don''t even think this is about the elisive six-foot target man any more.  This is about actually buying SOMEONE who will actually put chances away regularly.  Sadly that''s going to involve spending money.  I wince when I think about just who we''ll unveil in the next 7 days.  Our season depends upon this. 

Goals cost money and selling clubs know this, every single team is looking for the striker who will get the goals and we need to spend the money and quick.

The most interesting thing about the interview was how much he laid into Croft, who may of deserved it.Made comments like he will be lucky to play next game etc. and although he didn''t directly mention Lee''s name, it was fairly obvious who he was talking about.

apart from not scoring we were fantastic today, we know our team is short of the last piece of the jig saw and if roeder gets that as right as todays performance suggests he has got everything else we will have a very exciting season, you could not leave todays game without positives

He was spitting feathers when he missed his chance. I don''t think that GR likes Crofty too much, he has had a lot of chances with him but he still squanders him, like people say, once Bell is fit, he will be 1st choice. What else did GR say?

Nail on head - it''s not necessarily a big striker we need; it''s someone who will put chances away, no matter what size they are. Kevin Phillips and Robert Earnshaw, for example, are hardly giants, are they?

[quote user="Jonny 5"]The most interesting thing about the interview was how much he laid into Croft, who may of deserved it.

Made comments like he will be lucky to play next game etc. and although he didn''t directly mention Lee''s name, it was fairly obvious who he was talking about.
[/quote]

Not quite up to Cloughie.  Asked once, after a disastrous home defeat, whether the same team would be playing next week, Clough replied: "I can assure you, YOUNG MAN, that I shall draw up a list early next week of those who will be able to help the missus with the shopping.................."

[quote user="TheboyMark"]  I wince when I think about just who we''ll unveil in the next 7 days.   [/quote]Well..... if you''re a very very good boy.......... :o)

[quote user="Jonny 5"]The most interesting thing about the interview was how much he laid into Croft, who may of deserved it.Made comments like he will be lucky to play next game etc. and although he didn''t directly mention Lee''s name, it was fairly obvious who he was talking about. [/quote]Roeder also concedes who gets into position to make the chances...... unfortunately Fozzy, Bell, Hula & Spock don''t. Croft does.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]Nail on head - it''s not necessarily a big striker we need; it''s someone who will put chances away, no matter what size they are. Kevin Phillips and Robert Earnshaw, for example, are hardly giants, are they?[/quote]Exactly. Kevin Phillips stole 3 points for Brum today from a half chance very late in the game. Something we really miss.

This is what GR said.

''We controlled most of the game and were like the home side for large periods, in control for the first half and for large periods of the second. We created lots of chances but haven''t taken them. This is only the first game of the season but it better not be like last year, being in total control of games and making loads of chances and missing them''.

Someone who can put the ball into the net is desperately needed, a thought certainly not lost of the City boss:

''I''ve counted seven or eight good chances to score and either poor technique or poor decision to have another touch instead of putting it in the back of the net has cost us. It''s not secret that I''m looking to bring a target man in to the Club. I have identified who I want and hopefully that will happen within the next seven days.

''When the new man is here there will be three other strikers fighting for one place playing alongside him. To get that place they will need to be putting chances away, making and scoring goals which is a forward''s job simple as that.''

Referee Colin Webster didn''t escape Roeder''s wrath either, with the replacement referee''s decision to award a penalty to the hosts shortly after half-time coming under fire:

''There''s no way it''s a penalty and he be hugely disappointed when he sees it again.

''Goals change games. Instead of us being a goal in front we were a goal behind although we had plenty of time to get back in the game. We carried on creating chances to get back into the game, but we didn''t take our chances. The second goal just about summed up the way things went for us overall.''

So Roeder is basically saying what everyone else is saying on this Forum (those who did and did not go to the game);

1, Excellent passing and movement but no end result because we did not shoot or tried to be too clever..

2, We need a target man to complete the picture. He also says he should be here within the next seven days.

3, It looks like a competition in our next couple of games between our three other strikers as to who will partner the big man up front - from what I have heard could Lupoli get it?

4, Coventry were lucky and the Ref was abysmal.