Sign in to follow this  
AP16

My Opinon on Cov Game

Just got back from Coventry, via KFC and as we sat around the table munching on greasy over cooked chicken we discussed the positives and negatives of todays game.

Firstly, it was of general consensus that we did play well today, and had a couple of refereeing decisions gone the other way we would have got the result that we deserved. If Coventry were awarded a penalty for what can only be described as a stumble, how on earth the ref didn''t give City a penalty when Hoolahan shaped to shoot after jinking past a defender in the box to be completely chopped I''ll never know.

In the first half I felt we dominated, although we didn''t create a whole lot in the last 18 yards, the play accross the rest of the pitch was very good, and at times we saw glimpses of what really could be something quite special. Lupoli, Cureton and Hoolahan link up ever so well together and at times they left the Coventry defence at sixes and sevens.

We look very solid at the back considering shacks was on the left, apart from the fact that a lack of communication between defender and goalkeeper nearly cost us a couple of times, most notably when Stefanovic played a back pass without looking straight into the path of Clinton Morrison.

We also look very creative in the middle. At all times either Fotheringham or Clingan sat in the ''hole'' between Cov''s defence and midfield to create the link between Attack and Defence. This worked especially well in the first half where Lupoli seems to prefer to hang out on the left giving Hoolahan the opportunity to tuck inside in front of the holding midfielder. This was causing Coventry all sorts of problems once the wide men were cutting in behind Cov''s full backs.

Up top we look creative also. Lots of movement from Lupoli and Cureton was creating plenty of space, and we did manage to get in behind coventry a few times. Although at the one real opportunity where we could and probably should have scored, Lee Croft completely miscontrolled the ball after being delightfully threaded through by Hoolahan.

Even though we did lose, I don''t feel the performance warranted the defeat. We really did play well today, and over the course of the 90 minutes I would argue that''s the best performance as a team I''ve seen in the last 12 months. We could do with the ''target man'' glenn has been talking about as Koroma looks very raw and will need a lot of nurturing before he''s ready for first team action.  But all in all City played well, and I''m pretty hopefull we''ll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Ratings:

Marshall - 7      Didn''t have a whole lot to do however he needs to command his box more and keep in touch with his defence.

Eliot Omozusi - 6      Looked a bit nervous and made some very ill timed tackles in the first 10 minutes. Once he settled he put in a solid performance. I''d still prefer Semmy tho.

John Kennedy - 8      Looks a class act, still a bit rusty but very solid and very reliable.

Dejan Stefanovic - 7   Would be an 8 had it not been for a couple of silly errors. Makes the game look easy though, if he can iron those mistakes out of his game we''ve got a real bargain here.

Jason Shackell -  7   For a centre back playing out of position had a decent game. Even put a couple of quality crosses in.

Wes Hoolahan - 7  Seemed to drift in and out of the game, went missing for long periods of the second half. Looks very creative though, sure to be an asset.

Sammy Clingan - 9  Class performance from Clingan. Got the ball down and played football at every opportunity, was at one end creating opportunities and at the other halting them all game long. Man of the Match.

Mark Fotheringham - 7   Didn''t have a bad game at all. Spoilt it a little bit at the end by losing his rag and being booked, but other than that, solid.

Lee Croft - 5         Croft, as ever worked hard but yet again there was very little, if any, end product. His first touch was absolutely abysmal all game long, and hardly created anything for us. Must improve if he wants to stay in the first time once bell is fit.

Arutro Lupoli - 8    For the time he was on the pitch looked very sharp. Went past players as if they weren''t there. City looked a different team once he had left the pitch.

Jamie Cureton - 7   Often gets a bit of stick on here but I thought he worked really bloody hard and was a part in most of Norwich''s attacks. Good work J.

Interesting. Very high scores virtually across the baord then. How do you explain that we lost to an extremely average team, failed to score from plenty of chances and let two goals in despite the oposition hardly threatening?

you can play well but not score, its the luck of the draw mate, and secondly there first goal was a penalty that was pretty much a blatent stumble/dive that kind of decision you would expect in a sunday league game. Also there second goal came late on when we were pushing men forward for a equaliser, Dont question peoples ratings/comments and evaluations if you didn''t go

Did you go to the game?

If you did you''ll know that we lost as a result of conceding a dubious penalty and a tap in after an unfortunate rebound off the woodwork. Other than that we pretty much dominated proceedings. Had we had that extra bit of class in the last 18 yards of the pitch we would have put the game to bed long before Coventry were awarded the ''penalty''. As it happened we didn''t, and we conceeded two unfortunate goals.

But all in all we did play well, some players particularly well, hense some high scores.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Interesting. Very high scores virtually across the baord then. How do you explain that we lost to an extremely average team, failed to score from plenty of chances and let two goals in despite the oposition hardly threatening?[/quote]

Do you not know man, every time you play well you win, it is the law of football.[:P]

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Interesting. Very high scores virtually across the baord then. How do you explain that we lost to an extremely average team, failed to score from plenty of chances and let two goals in despite the oposition hardly threatening?[/quote]

Do you not know man, every time you play well you win, it is the law of football.[:P]

As much as the quality on the pitch, the attitude of the players contributed to the encouraging performance IMO. Glenn had obviously got them hyped up and CONFIDENT that they could deliver results, thats why we saw such free flowing, assertive football today.

Lets hope this unlucky defeat hasnt knocked the teams confidence.

Their penalty looked genuine enough to me, the player got pushed over in the area.

We had a genuine shout which was turned down. Happens all the time.

The reason we lost was because we dont have a player who can finish in front of goal.  Pretty approach play is all very well but we need a finisher.

[quote user="rascal"]

Their penalty looked genuine enough to me, the player got pushed over in the area.

The reason we lost was because we dont have a player who can finish in front of goal.  Pretty approach play is all very well but we need a finisher.

[/quote]

Coleman said their penalty wasn''t and ours was. I couldn''t see theirs from where I was sat with the Norwich fans.

your opinions may be through arriva yellow tinted glasses,but well thought out and good analysis and a  excellent thread.

[quote user="Hoolahoop"]

Sammy Clingan - 9  Class performance from Clingan. Got the ball down and played football at every opportunity, was at one end creating opportunities and at the other halting them all game long. Man of the Match.

[/quote]

Interesting that Clingan gets a 9, despite giving away the penalty. I wasn´t at the game, I am away at the moment, what is thwe verdict concerning the penalty decision? Did you think it affected the game at all?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="rascal"]

[/quote]

Coleman said their penalty wasn''t and ours was. I couldn''t see theirs from where I was sat with the Norwich fans.

[/quote]

I like Coleman, good honest young manager. Sounds like we did ok, so lets keep it up.

To be honest with you I didn''t think it was a penalty, but at the end of the day my opinion means nothing when I''m not officiating the game.

The reason I gave him a nine is because we''ve lacked exactly what he possesses since Damian Francis left really. Box to Box all game long and the only mistake he made was giving the penalty away. He retains the ball awfully well and gets himself in positions to receive the ball in dangerous areas.....I know I''ll get a roasting for this but his movement reminded me a bit of Fabregas for Arsenal. Always looking for the ball in advanced positions, and posessing the ability to link things up with accurate passing.

Of course it affected the game but I don''t believe it was a foul, so I would argue that referee affected the outcome of the game more than Clingan has in this instance.