Sign in to follow this  
mighty yellow

Ratings today vs. Coventry

Just got back from the game, and I am not feeling downhearted. The team played very well today, Coleman admitted on local radio that we should have had a penalty and deserved something from the game, and for a team that contained 6 new signings, I thought we looked ok as a unit. Ratings are:Marshall - Hard to say, looked comfortable, didn''t blame him for the final goal as he had to come out. Only downside is I don''t think normally he is quick enough off his line. Good kicking - 7Omozusi - Good start, was very surprised at how composed he looked all game. Didn''t get forward enough, but I think he was too busy concentrating on getting things right at the back, which you can''t complain about. Looks a very promising signing, Semmy has his work cut out to get back in - 7Shackell - Excellent at left-back, his one mistake was a misplaced backpass which went for a corner, which he was berated for. Competent, stayed with his man all day, and the extra height both defending and attacking is useful. Would have no qualms seeing him play there again - 7Kennedy MOTM - Did everything right today, won every header I can remember and was confident at coming out of defence to win the ball. Reminded me of Malkay but with pace. Lets hope he is here beyond January - 9Stefanovic - Switched off twice today, and nearly cost us dearly. Could easily have been sent off for the trip after his mistake, however, these two mistakes tarnish what was otherwise a composed display, and I think with games his match sharpness will return - 6Croft - Ran all day, had so many goal kicks hit up his way I felt sorry for him. He made some excellent runs, and won us a couple of corners where others would have seen it run out for a goal kick. The problem is, what does he offer us? I found myself hoping he would win a corner, as he had no chance of actually crossing or shooting in the right direction. I think he will be fearing for his place after today - 5Hoolihan - Looked very tidy, came inside a lot more than I was expecting, but looked very hady, had all sorts of tricks and flicks, and as the team gels I think his play will become crucial to our seasons hopes. Absolutely no right foot whatsoever - 7Fozzy - Not a bad game, but his evident frustration I believe stemmed from the fact he didn''t have a spotless game. Lost the ball a few times, won the ball a few times. Got himself booked for abusing the referee, and couldn''t decide myself whether it''s good to see passion, or he should lead by example - 6Clingan - Had a good debut on the whole, the penalty takes the shine off it but he will know that. Looked ok on the ball, did the simple things right which I suppose is what he is there for - 6Curo - Looked a lot fitter than last season, ran all day and was a reason we looked so lively. Had no chances of any real note, so you have to feel for him today. This will surely be his last season, and I think he is ready to make a real go of it - 7Lupoli - Very promising, always looked to beat his man and normally did, and in the first half was the only player not afraid of shooting! If that was 75%, I can''t wait to see him fully fit. He could be a very important player this season - 8Subs:Koroma - Showed some good touches, but his youth showed. I think this season will be very hit and miss for him. He has talent, I think it is all about how quickly he finds his feet in this league. Unlucky with his chance, although I would''ve expected Curo or another more experienced member of the team to score - 6Russell - Not on long enough to make any difference.Roeder - Had the team playing lively, fast paced football, keeping the ball on the ground even out of defence. Compared to Preston at the start of last season, I think the performance showed how better prepared we are. Was nothing he could do to stop us losing - 7Cue the what game were you watching comments[:)]...

You are the third person (that was actually at the game) to say how well we were passing it about. I am starting to believe that with a couple more additions to the squad and a few more games under our belt then we should take teams like Coventry to the cleaners...

Bloody hell... you got back quick.

Good to hear about Omozusi and Kennedy. I like composed defenders who aren''t afrraid to control the ball and pass it out of defence as opposed to panic and hoof it.
Im worried about Stefanovic, looked poor against Tottenham and Colchester and sounds like he had another poor game today.

[quote user="Ipswich Are Scum"]

[/quote]

His avatar says he lives in Warwick [:D]

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Ipswich Are Scum"]

[/quote]

His avatar says he lives in Warwick [:D]

[/quote]I''m making no comment on geography and sense of direction, today I had to come from central Norwich to Great Melton and went via Attleborough - apparently there is a quicker way.  [:)]

Lions share of play and chances falling to Norwich.....yet still losing. Arrgh, how often does this happen to us, it''s so frustrating hearing people say ''we were the better team really, shame we lost!''

I too have just got back and I am not down hearted at all. I thought in the 1st half we played really well, both Curo, Lupo and Hoola linked very well and Cov did not know how to cope with them, I would say that they tried to walk the ball in the net at times, we defended well, Kennedy looked very good, Stevo looked out paced at times, but his positional sense was very good, Ouzo could have done better, especially going forward and Shacks played well, not much going forward, but he defended well.

Clingfilm, very impressed, passed nicely and got stuck in, same with Fozzy, croft did not look confident, he had the beating of his man, but too often stopped, when he missed that stupid chance, GR was waving his arms all over the place and staright away asked for Patty.

Yes, we need the big man, but Lupo and Hoola will scare a lot of teams and Bell should hopefully be the same.

We looked a little jaded and we should have put the chances away before the pen came, with a small amount of time, the defence will gel very well.

So, plus points for me, lots, low points, the result and the fact the midfield did get overwhelmed at times, OJ looked a little out of his depth, saying that he done well to get in the position to score, but fluffed big time, I also don''t think there is massive amounts of pace, Hoola is not very quick.

Chin up peeps, we will do a lot better.

Just back and have to say I feel greatly encouraged by what I saw today. It was a pleasure to see us actually trying to win the game and doing so by playing attractive passing football. Unfortunately our tendency to concede either side of half-time cost us again but several Coventry fans said to me after the game that they were fortunate to get 3 points today.

Largely  would agree with the ratings given by mighty yellow and certainly agree that Kennedy was MOTM. Croft worked very hard but as usual where was the end product? Can''t see him lasting there once Bell is fit. Cureton played toady because I saw his name on the team sheet. Once we get a target man to help out the excellent but easily knocked off the ball Lupoli, Curo will be squad fodder at best.

Koroma has a lot of pace and really should have scored when ono-on-one with their keeper. However experience will tell him when to pass the ball into the net rather than trying to blast it home.

I feel confident that we shall not be in trouble this season especially if a decent target man can be brought in very soon.

Just got back from the game also

Ratings

Marshall - 6/10 Im afraid, from what I could see he was well out of position for the second goal.

Stefanovic - 8/10 Fantastic looking defender, really solid, calm and commanding at the back. He worked really well with Kennedy and although there were a couple of dodgy decisions between the pair this can be expected with such a new team.

Kennedy - 8/10 Again really solid and calm at the back. Neither of Stefanovic or Kennedy hoofed the ball unnecessarily but played it to the midfield with intelligent passing - i''d say this is the aspect that impressed me most about the team today and is such a relief from the Doherty/Shackell hoofing that has plagued us for so many seasons.

Omozusi - 8/10 Great player, very solid at right back, fast as well. Will be exciting watching the competition between him and otsemobor

Shackell - 6/10 Shackell is not a right back, he did well to step up to the challenge but his lack of pace and attacking ideas showed - for me this was summed up by a very poor attempt at an overhead kick in the Coventry box when he had time and space to get the ball down and play it back in.

Fotheringham - 6/10 Didnt produce anything spectacular today and I saw more of a captain in Kennedy than him - he went ape at the referee for one of his challenges and got himself yellow carded unnecessarily

Clingan - 6.5/10 Did the simple things well, hard to make a judgement - made some intelligent link up play

Croft - 5/10 Poor performance IMO, in classic Croft style would run up and down the wings and get tackled or blocked before managing to cross the ball - had a breakthrough on goal in the 2nd half to set Lupoli/Cureton up but scuffed it wastefully off the pitch

Hoolahan - 8.5/10 A truly talented player, was a delight to watch! Although a bit rusty in places, he played some very sweet balls and he seems to hold the ball at his feet incredibly well. I am thrilled that he is playing in Yellow and Green this year - an inspiration.

Cureton - 6/10 Uninspiring, not good enough for us upfront anymore Im afraid. Although their defence was very good, he just failed to get decent touches or any shots in at all. Never going to win anything in the air either.

Lupoli - 6/10 Id have to disagree with the OP, I will need more convincing about this guy, pace wasnt all that great and was easily dealt with by the defence.

Koroma - 7.5/10 Again disagreeing with the OP, this guy looked quite hot acutally - excellent movement around the box for someone so young, he got into great positions and he was unlucky not to score - I was pleasantly surprised.

Overall, it was like watching a different team playing today and I dont think ive ever come away from a 2-0 defeat so full of optimism!! As Coleman said, Coventry did not deserve to win the game as we completely dominated the midfield and fought them off well at the back - its a shame about the penalty really because up till then they had hardly troubled Marshall at all.

By adding a targetman and having Bertrand back at Left back and this Norwich team, for the first time in years, has the potential to really go places.

Unlucky today boys, deserved better!!

OTBC

[quote user="mighty yellow"]

Croft - Ran all day, ........The problem is, what does he offer us? [/quote]

spot on - he looks as though he should be good, tries really hard, but gives very little. Fear he has very little confidence which showed in the one chance I remember him having and also not attempting to go past his man...

[quote user="mighty yellow"]
Hoolihan - ...... Absolutely no right foot whatsoever - 7 [/quote]

Ha! - said to my brother that I wouldnt mind cleaning his right boot every week - there would be nothing to do! Seriously, I think the reason he runs so much is because he has to run round the ball everytime to get it on to his left foot!

The start was really encouraging - actually looked quite good. I worry that we didnt look like creating much at all.... and those chances we did create we couldnt finish.

We could quite easily play the same next week and win 3-0 and everyone would be thinking about winning the league.

Croft scares defences, shame it is in the early part of their half, when he gets to near the box, I don''t feel confident that something will happen.

Thanks for your reports guys. It sounded pretty much how you saw it. I''m as happy as you can be after losing 2-0....

Roeder has built in very quick time, a team with real potential.

Bolt on someone with power & pace + height , get Bertrand back and I really believe we''ll be  going places(and they aren''t southerly)

Well good on you Canary Fan.

Though I couldn''t bring myself to bet against my team , you had a result today.

A NCFC with promise and quids in !!!

[quote user="walks on water"]

Though I couldn''t bring myself to bet against my team , you had a result today.

[/quote]Anyone betting against their own team is a jeb-end. Anyone bragging about it hidden behind their keyboard even more so. Still, lets not let a thread about todays game descend into that. Glad that eveyone seems to have seen the game the same as me.

[quote user="walks on water"]

[/quote]

jesus christ give it a rest. Its up to him what he does. You support the team how you wish and he will how he wishes. But dont keep going on about it..

talk about going over the top...

If he wants to bet against his own team, then let him. Don''t know if I would personally put it on the web telling everyone about it, but hey, that''s his choice.

[quote user="Ipswich Are Scum"][quote user="walks on water"]

[/quote]

jesus christ give it a rest. Its up to him what he does. You support the team how you wish and he will how he wishes. But dont keep going on about it..

talk about going over the top...

[/quote]

It was a light hearted, and I meant the sentiment...ie a good result.

Jeeez, Take some of your own advice Scum old son.

I too am back from the game and having seen some of the comments on other threads i assume they did NOT go to the game.

I agree totally with the positive opinions. We looked sharp,played a quick passing game and closed them down when not in possession. When fit Lupoli will be some player and entertainer. I also was pleasantly surprised with Clingon.

Everyone played their part but as anticipated, lack of a full pre season programme showed in the last 15 minutes.

Overall we looked a well coached team and outplayed Coventry for much of the game but two class strikers are a must.

Get them and even i will start thinking the impossible!

Totally agree with most of your points Bury Yellow. And we know there is another striker coming in. So we have much to be positive about tonight.

What I''d like to ask those at the game is would you swop our strikers for Coventry''s? Because from the game I was watching Lupoli. Cureton and Koroma all looked better than Eastwood and Morrison.

All in all the football we played was encouraging but I would just temper that a little because I don''t believe we were playing a particularly good team today.

[quote user="Cheshire Canary"]Shackell is not a right back, he did well to step up to the challenge but his lack of pace and attacking ideas showed - for me this was summed up by a very poor attempt at an overhead kick in the Coventry box when he had time and space to get the ball down and play it back in.[/quote]Good job he didn''t play there then [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What I''d like to ask those at the game is would you swop our strikers for Coventry''s? Because from the game I was watching Lupoli. Cureton and Koroma all looked better than Eastwood and Morrison.

[/quote]Interesting question. On that display ours were better but they still couldn''t find the back of the net. Probably ours but only as long as that big striker is added.We played some great stuff today which makes it all the more frustrating we managed to get beaten by such an ordinary-looking side.

Really good to hear from the fans who actually went to the game, saying how well the team played.

You guys have made my initial disappointment at the result disappear.

Cheers I can enjoy an evening without not talking to the wife.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Totally agree with most of your points Bury Yellow. And we know there is another striker coming in. So we have much to be positive about tonight.

All in all the football we played was encouraging but I would just temper that a little because I don''t believe we were playing a particularly good team today.

[/quote]

Eastwood, despite all the hype, and even speculation last season that he might come to CR, is out of his depth in the Championship, in my humble opinion. Perhaps I''m being a bit harsh on the first outing of the season, but he looked very pedestrian, no imagination and creativity on the ball and as easily dispossessed by our midfield...methinks he would do well to return to a League 1 side.

Morrison is better at this level and has a more substantial presence in the box, but his skill level I think is much lower than any of our front men. However, In the Championship it isn''t always pretty football and class goals that keeps teams in with a shout of promotion and he could be good for Coventry this season. Nevertheless, No! in answer to your question, I''d keep our current strikers despite their lack of height and weight, because I enjoy the skill level and being entertained and with that target man of stature that we are eagerly awaiting we could have a very good season.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."][quote user="Cheshire Canary"]Shackell is not a right back, he did well to step up to the challenge but his lack of pace and attacking ideas showed - for me this was summed up by a very poor attempt at an overhead kick in the Coventry box when he had time and space to get the ball down and play it back in.[/quote]Good job he didn''t play there then [;)][/quote]

My mistake, i meant LB.

As for the Coventry attack, it looked uninspiring to say the least, from what I saw today I would actually be more concerned if I was a Coventry fan; they looked slow, lacked ideas and were their passes were frequently cut out by our midfield and defence. They were lucky really.

Thanks to all who went to the game in giving me your valuable output on the game, I prefer to hear from supporters that saw the games than those who just post negatives for the sake of it. Cheers once again.

marshall 6 did he make a save? kicking so much better though.

omosuzi 6 better than otsemobor at defending but didnt get forward enough for me.

shackell 8 out of position was excellent and almost scored with shot keeper saved well

stefanovic 5 lucky to stay on in first half after foolishly playing around on edge of box. distribution wasnt great

kennedy 8 was excellent dont think he lost a header all game

croft 6 better than last season but still cant finish

clingan 7 good at breaking up play and has a wicked shot

fotheringham 4 was crap! headless chicken springs to mind. lucky not to walk too, why do we have 2 defensive midfielders in the side?

hoolahan 8 excellent looks to be a perfect replacement for you know who

lupoli 6 spent too much time on his backside but ran at the defence well

cureton 3 was he playing?

subs

russell made a difference  in that he got forward well but brought on too late

komora looked a reasonable prospect but what a miss when through on goal!!!

roeder 6 why 2 defensive midfielders in clingan and fozzy? russell for fozzy please next week. left subs too late i thought

fans 7 great atmosphere but disappointed at those who sang about Mckenzie!!

ref 4 shocking!!

I went to the game yesterday and I still can''t believe we lost 2-0! How did we end up losing a game we completely dominated from the first minute? I need to see the penalty decision again on TV because like hundreds of others, I was just sitting down after buying a pie and didn''t really see it. We responded well to the reverse and could have levelled several times - particularly when Komora was clean through on goal. How he didn''t score I do not know - his well struck shot was perfectly placed for their keeper who made a decent save. Had he kept it down he would certainly have scored. We had some more chances after that including a well worked free kick which was deflected just wide. I was particularly impressed by the way the lads tried to play football today (which, given the lack of height up front was the only way they could play I suppose). There were some lovely little interchanges between the likes of Hoolahan, Lupoli and Curo up front. I loved Lupoli''s little step overs and he managed to weave around the back of the Cov defence on a number of occasions. He had a couple of nice strikes on goal too. Sure, he''s a tad light weight and lacking match fitness but he''s gonna do really well for us I''m sure. I was impressed by Hoolahan too today - some lovely threaded balls behind the Cov defence which Curo and Lupoli ran on to. Crofty tried his hardest and contributed to the neat little attacking moves but his final ball was somewhat lacking. Curo was helpfully darting around and as I said did his fair share of

contributing to the nice approach play without however having so much

of a sniff on goal. Komora has clearly got potential but his lack of experience told when it came to the match turning one on one that he missed. I thought Clinghan was tidy and efficient, Fozzy was okay, but like another posted said was losing his head at times.  Shacks was playing out of position and for the most part played reasonably solidly, but he clearly didn''t look as comfortable on the ball as some of the players around him.  He tried an overhead kick at the end of the game which missed by a mile when he might have brought the ball down and kept the pressure in Cov in their penalty area as the clock ticked away.  Defence wise we did pretty well all game - Kennedy particularly impressing. Stefanovic was solid, and had a nice head on him. I liked the way Kennedy and Stefanovic tried to play the ball from the back instead of hoofing it. Marshall is hard to judge because apart from the penalty and Mackenzie''s goal he had nothing to do all game.Overall, despite the result, I really enjoyed the game. There are some real positive signs for the season ahead, especially given the fact that the team will only get stronger. I think we have to realise that 11 new players are going to need a few more matches to really gel, but gel they will.  We''ve still got a very good attacking right midfielder in Bell to come into the fray to challenge Crofty for his position, and the still elusive hope of a target man up front. If I were to make any criticism today it is that as pretty as we looked at times we looked like we were trying to walk the ball into the net. At times I was just dying for someone to have a crack but they kept taking an extra couple of touches which let Cov off the hook. Cov barely had a shot and if I were one of their fans, while delighted with the result, I would be very worried about the season ahead. They were very poor. Eastwood and Morrison were totall anonymous up front. As were their fans! What a naff atmosphere! They barely raised a song all game so uninspiring was their team''s performance on the pitch. Credit to all the Canaries who sang their hearts out yesterday! The rousing OTBC when we went one down was superb!

Agree with all you said there Jules. On Koroma, we do have to consider several things-

1. His chance came directly from a goal kick so it was an absolute bugger to take down, and I think he just wanted it to stay down so he could hit it but it wouldnt....
and 2. he''s 18 and playing his first competitive game in England, and was running towards 2000+ ugly Norwich fans who were all absolutely banking on him scoring.

Personally I would prefer to see Russel in with Clingan next week, just so we have some forward power in centre midfield and someone willing to shoot now and then.

p.s. baldyboy, I feel 3 is a little harsh on Cureton... what did he do so wrong in your eyes?