Sign in to follow this  
BunnyB

Would it make that much of a difference?

I was just thinking, target men are never realy that prolific and when they do score it is normaly with their head, now at Coventry our problem was finishing off chances which we created without lumping the ball long and that were about 10 yards out. So my point is, and please correct me if I''m wrong, but will a target man rely make us finish off chances and score more goals, I''m not denieing the fact that we could do with one, but most people thought we would need one to create chances for the smaller strikers. On Saturday though, they had more chances than you could shake a stick at, but they couldn''t finish. So I am not 100% convinced that a target man alone will bring us goals. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I completely agree with you.

I think we need a tall striker who can get his head on a ball from crosses into the box but he also needs to be quick and a good finisher.

The need for a big lump up front or someone who creates for the other strikers has been negated by how we played on Saturday with the team creating enough chances without this ''target man''

If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer".

He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer". He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)[/quote]

Wow I didn''t know Glenn Roeder was a target man and an established goal scorer in his day..

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer". He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)[/quote]

Wow I didn''t know Glenn Roeder was a target man and an established goal scorer in his day..

[/quote]

The power of punctuation eh!

What is this thing called ''love''?

What is this thing called? love!

What! Is this thing called ''love''?

What is this thing? called Love

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer".

He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)[/quote]Thtas the point I was trying to make rely if people just think a big man up front is the answer they are wrong but i hope Iverrson doesn''t turn out to be a Peter Thorn

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer".

He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)[/quote]I don''t always have faith in what GR says, I think he likes to play the press and keep people guessing.  No bad thing.

I don''t think its necessarily a target man that we need, but it is definitely a goal scorer, which GR has said he is. Therefore if he is a target man all the better, we don''t need one to start every game, but they are important in this league because the give us a different element in what is a physical league.

I think the aim of the target man is not to be prolific but to create opportunities for the smaller strikers to score, knock downs from crosses, having the strength to hold onto the ball while support gets into the box and giving an alternative option when the short game isnt viable.  Also gives a better presence for free kicks and corners, which is an area I feel we just dont threaten often enough.

Iverson sounds like a decent option at the moment, and the bloke is in the form of his life.

[quote user="BunnyB"][quote user="Carrow Roeder"]If you have read articles such as in the Green'' Un, Glenn says he is "an already established and recognized goal-scorer". He is not bringing in solely a target man and he has admitted that in recent days. He IS a target man however has admitted he is an established goal scorer as well. Sounds promising and there really doubt there is anything to worry about when this new lad is in :)[/quote]
Thtas the point I was trying to make rely if people just think a big man up front is the answer they are wrong but i hope Iverrson doesn''t turn out to be a Peter Thorn
[/quote]

I don''t think anybody on here has called for a big lump up front if you will excuse the expression. No one wanys another Mr Blobby aka Hartson. No, every post I have read has called for a tall, muscular, athletic target man. There is no doubt that a striker fitting that description would have caused enough nervousness amongst the Coventry back four to have made a real difference.