Sign in to follow this  
Giovani Dos Santos

Red Army trashing the barclay

Maggie was in charge 1979-1990.

Found this information.

The Taylor Report (1990) stated that all grounds in the top two divisions should be all-seater. Premiership rules state that a club has three seasons leave to either redevelop or relocate to an all-seater stadium once they have been promoted to the 1st Division (and should they subsequently be promoted to the Premiership).

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Found this information.

The Taylor Report (1990) stated that all grounds in the top two divisions should be all-seater. Premiership rules state that a club has three seasons leave to either redevelop or relocate to an all-seater stadium once they have been promoted to the 1st Division (and should they subsequently be promoted to the Premiership).
[/quote]which was commissioned after the bradford fire wasn''t it???

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Found this information.

[/quote]

So if the Taylor report was 1990, the legislation and it''s implementation is likely to have been post Thatcher.

Sorry, I just can''t stand that woman getting credit for anything except resigning.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Found this information.

[/quote]

which was commissioned after the bradford fire wasn''t it???
[/quote]

The  Hillsborough Disaster in 1989 I believe, but am happy to be proven wrong.

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Found this information.

[/quote]

So if the Taylor report was 1990, the legislation and it''s implementation is likely to have been post Thatcher.

Sorry, I just can''t stand that woman getting credit for anything except resigning.

[/quote]

lol I can''t stand her either, so you aren''t alone [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Found this information.

[/quote]which was commissioned after the bradford fire wasn''t it???[/quote]

The  Hillsborough Disaster in 1989 I believe, but am happy to be proven wrong.

[/quote]maybe it was a combo of the two!!! but u cud well be right WAR49.,/

Yeah, they did the all seater thing after Hillsborough and laso had to make sure that all fences were removed after that as well.

"HOW SERIOUS IS FOOTBALL HOOLIGANISM NOW?

Football hooliganism domestically has changed significantly since the Taylor Report of 1990. All-seater stadiums, ''Football Intelligence'' and Closed Circuit Television in particular have meant that incidents of violence inside football grounds (particularly in the Premiership) are rare. In addition, arrests for football-related crimes have reduced dramatically since the late 1980''s whilst attendances have risen. However, this does not mean that football hooliganism has necessarily reduced. Much football disorder has been ''pushed'' from the stadium itself to other meeting places, with groups needing to be better organised. It also now has the potential to be more violent. The location of most serious disorder means that violence is rarely reported and that the Police will be less able to control it and make arrests.

As stated above, there are two different phenomena that have been labelled ''hooliganism''. First is the spontaneous and usually low-level disorder that takes place in and around stadia and when English teams travel abroad. In the UK, this is relatively rare considering the number of supporters attending matches. However, abroad, English fans have often been involved in disorder (e.g. Marseille 1998, Charleroi 2000, Slovakia 2002, Albufeira 2004, Stuttgart and Cologne 2006 and Rome 1997 and 2007). Often the extent of this disorder is exaggerated by excessive media reporting and in many cases English supporters are the victims of attacks by local fans/police rather than the aggressors. The press has typically claimed such disorder is the result of ''hooligans'' traveling with the intention of fighting and being able to draw drunken English fans into disorder. However, analysis of incidents from 1990-2007 in Stott and Pearson''s ''Football Hooliganism: Policing the War on the English Disease'' (2007 Pennant Books) criticised this view and suggested that external factors such as indiscriminate policing and the presence of aggressive local youths were usually the cause of rioting involving english fans abroad.

Second is the more serious disorder caused by hooligan ''firms'' in the UK. Domestically this is still a huge problem, with most football clubs having groups of ''risk supporters'' who wish to fight rival firms. UK police have to deal with the problem of organised firms trying to confront each other on a regular basis, although the disorder is rarely reported (due to the lack of coverage of incidents) and as it usually takes place far from the ground, ''normal'' fans do not tend to be directly affected by it. One example of high-profile disorder between firms (which was reported), was the clash between Everton and Manchester United ''hooligans'' in 2005. Footage of this can be found on ''YouTube'' under the search term ''Everton Valley''. "

Taken from here -

http://www.liv.ac.uk/footballindustry/hooligan.html

Ahhhhhhh right, thanks Will [:)]

I wasn''t 100% sure it was because of Hillsborough.

If I remeber rightly that the Bradford fire was actually in a seated stand, and think, but may be wrong, but think for some reason they were playing Lincoln City that day.  I can remember seeing pictures on the news.

[quote user="yellow 63"]

Remember a couple of games againest Chelsea which were quite lively one in the late 70s if my memory serves me right someone was in the Norwich sections with a knife and to make it worse the tannoy anounncer kept broadcasting a warning every few minutes to be aware and early 80s when the Chelsea lads piled in at the back of the Barclay just before kick off scattering most people

[/quote]

It was a fairly regular occurrence in the mid 70''s for away fans to get in with Norwich sections of the Barclay and cause a bit of panic and commotion, but most times they were contained by the police...eventually. I always went into the central Barclay at this time, being an impressionable lad in my mid teens...and always felt a bit of unease or bravado, particularly the closer to the ''Away'' section I was, but funnily enough I found drunken Norwich lads, who would be in greater concentration in that area, far more intimidating,  because of their unpredictability and not averse to starting on fellow supporters.

At the end of each game the ''Barclay boys'', would get out onto Carrow Road and wait for the away fans to come out, but there was rarely anything more than posturing because of the police cordons, so generally a chanting Norwich ''mob'' would make their way along Riverside, up the Railway station to see if they could get a confrontation there, before the police lines could be formed. Once the police were there with their four legged hairy exocets, it was usually ''game over''. Football allowed a yob culture to grow and too little was done for too many years to seriously control it.

These were my earliest and poignant memories of going to CR, but thankfully times have moved on and I wouldn''t be going today if anything like those days remained. Cultures take time to be formed and certainly take time to change and I guess the benign posturing and humourous abuse that rebounds between the standing contingents in the Lower Barclay and Block J Jarrold is the last remnants of that culture.

Looking back on it now, being a football fan during this period of time does seem quite nostalgic.

I for one, would encourage the bringing back of terracing in certain areas of the ground, i think it would improve the atmosphere no end and also securtiy issues would not be a problem due to the high levels of technology and expertise available to coppers these days

[quote user="Bury Green"]

[quote user="jetstream"]Sadly there are some people who look back on all this sort of thing with rose-tinted specs and a warm nostalgic glow. Nice to see that most of the above comments have been about how scary this sort of stuff was.[/quote]

You are alluding to what exactly?

As far as I can tell nobody has rose tinted specs only fading memories, it was all a long time ago but no matter what standing on the old Barclay was a load more fun than sitting down in the lower tier is today.

Of course the local derby was a proper local derby played at Christmas and Easter at 3pm not the diluted borefest we have to endure today

[/quote]

A lot more fun? I was at that man u game...it def was not fun!! I was also at a few other games in the 70s where i witnessed people with gashed faces after being hit by an object...was that fun?

I take my 13 year old son now and sit in the barclay lower, I would not take him to the game at all if it was still as you put it"fun"