Sign in to follow this  
Giovani Dos Santos

Red Army trashing the barclay

[quote user="C.T "]Damnit Jas why werent you there? [:O][:P]
[/quote]

because i wasnt born if it was pre 1981 :p

jas :)

Losers. Good job I was not there, I would have sworn at them then run quickly and sworn again and un faster.

I stood at the River end as it was then and watched them gradually dismantle the Barclay, they were always causing trouble wherever they went in them days and it was quite scary just walking down the ground as a 14 year old when they were in town.

Its strange, i mean im only 17 but what with all the films and that about hooligans these days id still never heard of Man United being major hooligans. Always just heard of like Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall etc.

Im guessing the Barclay wasnt the home end back then?

The Barclay has always been the Norwich end, in them days it was more like a prison with 8 foot fences at the front and was divided into pens with fences up to the roof to try and prevent coins being thrown, some games there seemed to be a constant barrage of coins pinging against the fence.

Nothing but scum!!!

The used to have a firm called cockney reds that used to cause alot of trouble in London....remember them getting a good going over by QPR fans one year!!

Back in those days it was hard to avoid the yobs either inside or outside the ground. I remember standing in the River End (no roof in those days!) with my Mother, Father and sister and having to dodge bricks thrown by Northampton (yes, Northampton) ''supporters''.A favourite trick used to be for them to arrive very early on matchday and go along the streets nicking the milk from the doorsteps and chucking the bottles about.As I remember, Portsmouth were particularly bad too although mass fights were pretty much the norm post match. I think a fair few cars ended up in the river as well because eveyone used to park on the banks of the river at Riverside going towards the station.So much for the good old days!!

I use to approach the ground from Bracondale end in the 70''s and early 80''s and there always use to be away fans outside the Jolly Malsters pub on the corner near Carrow bridge especially when London clubs were in town, it was quite intimidating walking past there when I was a youngster. Me and my mate had our scarves nicked in Ice house lane (Bracondale) by 3 hairy arsed Stoke fans in their 30''s when we were about 14, 4 of them onto 2 kids was really clever not. I was also followed to Trowse and threatened by 3 much older Leeds fans when I was about 15, mouthy sods.

Remember it well enough but rest assured the club as we know it today is a million miles from how things were in the 70’s and early 80’s.

As I recall it and please anybody with a  few more years on them than me correct this if its wrong but a few of the Manchester United lot dropped through the roof of the Barclay and into the home section and got, not unsurprisingly, a major league kicking.

The game when we played Aston Villa at home that finished 2-2 was another major dust up.   Fash got sent off for punching one of theirs, the Barclay went absolutely mental ending up with their goal keep Jimmy Rimmer getting pelted by coins and knocked out.  John bond and Sir Arthur South came round in front of the Barclay pleading for order which just about get restored and we equalised with a very late Kevin Bond penalty, utter mayhem.

This is all well and good but no mention of the local derbies yet…………………….

Yeh, I know there is a hell of a lot of passion surrounding our derby... but from my experience (3 home games and 1 away) iv never noticed or seen any trouble

anyone know anything? or would like to share stories

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]

Its strange, i mean im only 17 but what with all the films and that about hooligans these days id still never heard of Man United being major hooligans. Always just heard of like Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall etc.

[/quote]

Why do you think so many older fans hate Man Utd so vehemently/  The Barclay was the home end but the section nearest the South Stand was given over to away fans.

I was there and travelled back to Attleborough in the guard''s van because these animals went on to wreck the train!

Again I will need this one being backed up by others but back when a  terrace favourite was   “you’re going in the river”  which unless I am much mistaken goes back to when a Scum supporters car got tipped into the Wensum?

Again, possibly hearsay but certainly a catchy tune

One which wasn’t hearsay was the night we beat the Scum to get to Wembley in 1985, surely the last time we had a mass pitch invasion at Carrow Road?

[quote user="Bury Green"]

Remember it well enough but rest assured the club as we know it today is a million miles from how things were in the 70’s and early 80’s.

As I recall it and please anybody with a  few more years on them than me correct this if its wrong but a few of the Manchester United lot dropped through the roof of the Barclay and into the home section and got, not unsurprisingly, a major league kicking.

The game when we played Aston Villa at home that finished 2-2 was another major dust up.   Fash got sent off for punching one of theirs, the Barclay went absolutely mental ending up with their goal keep Jimmy Rimmer getting pelted by coins and knocked out.  John bond and Sir Arthur South came round in front of the Barclay pleading for order which just about get restored and we equalised with a very late Kevin Bond penalty, utter mayhem.

This is all well and good but no mention of the local derbies yet…………………….

[/quote]You are right he did get a kicking after he fell through the roof, in them days the away fans were kept in for 15 minutes after the whistle to allow home fans to depart the ground so most of the Norwich fans had actually left the ground by the time the riot started. It was just mindless vandalism, the thing that strikes me is the sheer numbers that were involved.

I know the sheer numbers is what gets me...

But from what i can gather, they were widely supported all over the countries and so had many mini firms i.e. cockney reds that all amalgamted into the Red Army

But yeh any major stories of trouble with scum fans?

Remember those days well,standing in the centre barclay you could get pool balls,sharpened coins or even darts chucked at you..But the worst memory i have is catching  the train back to Brundall and it was full of man u tossers heading back to Yarmouth.To this day not sure who i hate most man u or ipshit.

Remember it well - especially when one of the prats on the roof fell through and on to the terraces.He just got off and continued dismantling the place!

I''m old enough to remember going to not only this game but also an earlier one at Old Trafford as a youngster when we beat them (Best, Charlton, Law etc) 2-1 on the FA Cup. Ten minutes before the end the Stretford End emptied and we all thought they''d gone home.......

......Until we tried to get of the back of our stand to find them waiting for us. Now that WAS scary!

I know the sheer numbers is what gets me...

But from what i can gather, they were widely supported all over the countries and so had many mini firms i.e. cockney reds that all amalgamted into the Red Army

But yeh any major stories of trouble with scum fans?

[/quote]There always seemed to be trouble when we played Ipswich, remember the Woolpack getting trashed one night, but the worst trouble I remember was at the second leg of the milk cup semi in 1985.

[/quote]

They were about the worst at this point. I''d left just before this all happened (I was a little kid) but my Dad''s mate was hospitalised with a sheet of asbestos that had been ripped from the stand, pretty nasty stuff.

Remember it well, I was at the game with my Dad, sitting in the main stand - it was my first experience of "hooliganism" at first hand - I remember well watching that bloke fall through the roof - he was seriously injured if I remember rightly.   We weren''t allowed out of the main stand as the police were having a job containing the Man Utd fans...Those were the days eh?!

I remember the game well although I wasn''t there (living in Surrey at the time[:''(]) That was typical Man U behaviour in those days.  There used to be a pub up the road that was always filled with them on a Saturday but I can''t remember its name?  Just remember coming up to see us against West Ham with a mate who was a Hammers fan in the early 80''s and walking into a pub full of Man U fans!! They were a pretty decent bunch though and bought us a drink.  The same match I was hit in the head by a coin in the Barclay thrown from the West Ham side.  Didn''t it used to be called "the cheese wedge" or something similar?? Anyone remember?

I was there in the middle of it and will try to tell it as i remember it..The whole thing was staged by the bbc for starters who were making a doccumentry on manure supporters that day.i was in the Barclay and there was lots of Londoners In with the Norwich supporters. The story they were telling the Norwich fans was they were West Ham supporters who had no game that day so they had come to Norwich to help have a pop at the manure firm.The Norwich lads bought this story and thought all was well.then about 20 mins before kick off when there numbers had swelled to i guess around 150-200., a massive shout of United when up from the Londoners they were infact cockney reds as they were known and their goal was to take the Barclay.they then proceeded to attempt to beat the s*** out of anybody in Yellow and green, and i do mean anybody.The riot then spread as the manure fans from The other areas attempted to join in and many Norwich fans ended up on the pitch.I suppose in 70,s holliganism speak it was the classic "taking of an end"

Barclay was the home end then - it got "taken." This was the in the days before there was any partitioning as I remember - it was a long while ago and I was only about 12 - 14! There were big "surges" when everybody used to push to try to break into the away fans area and vice versa.

The Man U fans did worse than was shown on the video - the ground looked worse than was shown by the end. There was a documentary about this - I think it was on "Nationwide?" Can anybody remember? I wasn''t in the Barclay that day - when teams like Man U - with a bad reputation came down I had to go with my uncle!

Yes - it was a regular chant. Others included "you''ll never take the Barclay" - to the same tune and "we''ll meet you down the station."

Jim

I was there (Was about 15) in the barclay and youve got it spot on it was man u pretending to be west ham that started it. If i remember correctly we had only been allocated the end section of the barclay and it was soon taken over by man utd. I ended up in the south stand.The guy that fell through the roof didnt get a kicking because the barclay was totaly man u by then

[quote user="Badger"]Yes - it was a regular chant. Others included "you''ll never take the Barclay" - to the same tune and "we''ll meet you down the station."[/quote]Didn''t Wet Sham take the Barclay as well? Seem to remember loads of them being at the back of the middle pen and it all kicked off during the game with loads of fans spilling onto the pitch.