Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Four or Five can't cut the mustard!.

Yes I know it was Arsenal, and yes I know, the team worked bloody hard. But lets face it, four, maybe five players, just can''t hack life in the Premiership.

HOLT: Time and time again he wants far too much time to decide what to do with the ball, whilst you can get away with it in division one, in the Prem you''ll get murdered by he oppo for any delay. A great heart is no subsitute for great skill. My Verdict: Harsh, but must go.

Mckay: See above, but even slower than three lungs!. My Verdict: Must go.

Jonson: Why on earth did Worthy buy this bloke?. My Verdict. A very big mistake.

Svensson: I love this guy, you know that. But he ain''t performing very well at the moment, but he does, without doubt, has class. My Verdict: worth keeping on the bench.

McVeigh: Sorry, but can''t see him cutting it either. Looks jaded, slow and has run out of ideas. My Verdict. He MUST go!.

In closing, and just like Hucks said, when you go up, sadly some players will have to go. Look at Birmingham. Such is life and proffesional football.

And while we''re on this subject, why the hell is''nt Leon FIRST CHOICE. Just what has the guy got do in Worthy eyes to start up front. Walk on Water!.

Whats your thoughts on this, or am I just being harsh?.

i agree with most of that , the only exception being jonson . there were times in the first half where he started to show what he can do , but its still early days . he will get better no doubt . safri looked class though .

i think your being a bit harsh, you are right about jonson and svensson, Maybe Holt should be replaced with Safri. McVeigh is doing just fine i think and we havnt seen Mackay play in the premiership yet so we cannot judge im yet IMO

I agree that Holt and Svensson need replacing - hopefully Safri and Ginger Pele (or A.N. Other) can fit in to do just that. I''m a big fan of both these guys, and stood up for Svensson a lot last season when some were getting on his back, but I do think he''s looked very out of sorts for these first few games.

But you can''t say Malky can''t cut the mustard when he hasn''t even played yet! We can guess at whether he''s up to it or not, but until he''s given a few games to prove himself, we can''t pass judgement. McVeigh played better against ManUre and Newcastle than he has played for quite a while. Ok, he didn''t have the best of games against Arsenal, but neither did Drury and I don''t hear people calling for him to be dropped.

As for Jonson, I think it''s worth heeding what Worthy said in the week about him and Helveg having had a busy summer, what with Euro 2004, then moving clubs and then having to adjust to life in the Premiership. He''s probably used to playing a much slower game on the continent, so it might take him a bit of time.

So, in my opinion, 2 can''t cut the mustard!

I can''t see why people keep moaning about McKenzie not starting - yesterday he had some great opportunities, including one which annoyed me and everyone around me where he had a great chance at hitting a first time shot but wasted it by taking his time and before he knew it, the ball had been lost. You don''t get time aginst the likes of Arsenal. He''s not looking any better than what he have and we should be looking for a new striker to partner Hucks.

Jonson will come good, just needs to be more consistant but it''ll take time. Mackay we can''t judge, he hasnt kicked a ball yet this season and McVeigh is one of our better players - if not consistant - but certainly shouldn''t go IMO.

I think you are being incredibly harsh....Johnson has played in only 3 matches so lets give him a bit of chance to settle in.....Leon will never be a regular while Hucks is playing and lets face it, the blokes 1st touch needs alot of work.....McVeigh is a very usefull squad player.

We cannot afford to let anyone go because the squad is paper thin as it is!!

Yes are being harsh :-

McVeigh and Johnson :- Neither should have started yesterday. Both are primarily attacking midfielders and - horses for courses - we would have been better with Helveg and Brennan (remember him?).

Holt is not playing too well but surely he has proven over the past few seasons (albeit in div 1) that he has the potential to succeed in the premiership.
Everyone''s clamouring for Safri to replace Holt. Based on what? 45 minutes against an Arsenal team who''d already won the game and were using the 2nd half as a practice match?

Mackay - what exactly has he done wrong this season? How can you criticise a player who hasn''t played? He''s not going to replace Charlton (our best summer signing) or Fleming (our deserved player of year) but I''m sure he''ll give 100% if he has to step in to cover for them.

Svennson - I agree.

Leon - Agreed. I think even if he walked on water Worthington wouldn''t pick him. No disrespect to Doherty but he was bought as a centre half and still seems to be preferred to leon up front.

Well having analysed all Malky''s performances this season, I think you''re right, infact why don''t we just terminate his contract now, he''s really let the side down in these first four games. He''s been so ineffective in these Premiership games its like he''s not on the pitch..........

i agree you have got this spot on ,doherty would he of been better in defence against arsenal and put leon up front thats what worthy said he bought him for not a striker.

I thought Mcveigh played really well as well considering he was up against cole and he showed him a clean pair of heels a couple of times!

I thought Jonson played well yesterday. He was only sacrificed for tactical reasons because Holt & Francis weren''t even slowing Arsenal down in the middle of the pitch (no disgrace, although it is Holt''s sole reason for being on the pitch)

1st whiz......

this is pathetic.

Worthy knows what he is doing.

and before yesturday mcveigh was joint top scorer.

I say we should just get behind our boys and STOP down raiting them.

I don`t agree with getting rid of Mcveigh, he has`nt done to bad, my not be a starter but worth having on the bench.
Jonson does`nt look to clever, but lets give him a bit more time.
Holt i must admit looks like a fish out of water, but not sure about getting rid of him.
Mckay, Svensson ??????????
But agree leon should be playing all the time, and not just when we`re chasing the game.

For me, I came out of the match PROUD of the boys.

I thought Holt put in a really honest and hard-working performance - and out-performed Francis too on the day.

I thought that Safri looked hot - some great passes, some nice vision. I''m looking forward to him holding down his place now (Wiz what did you think of the man? Has he endeared himself at all?). The new and improved Mullers role (the new Chippy?) With a firm boot to put in here and there too.

Huckerby Man-of-the-Match for us without querstion.

Totally agree that McV is a GOOD SQUAD PLAYER for us and will do the job here and there.

Jonson - wasn''t impressed with the performance - but was impressed with the potential. The guy is good, and will come good.

Green - smooth

The Doc needs to be back in defence...

I never thought that I would see us hold our heads high against Man U, Newcastle and Arsenal like this. We have not been swept away in any match yet. We have controlled every game we have played for at least some periods of the game. We look tight at times - and I like what I see.

Now we need some points - one win from either Spurs or Villa - and we can count ourselves IN THIS LEAGUE...

Whoa whoa whoa Wiz! Calm down mate! You can''t sell or get rid of players just because they have bad couple of games.

Holt- Yes has started poorly and I would have thought Safri will feature more but you can''t get rid of the guy. Give him a few more games, maybe coming off the bench and see what he can do.

Malky- Hasn''t even played a Prem game yet!! How can you judge him now?

McVeigh- Has started really quite well I think. I really didn''t think he would cut it in the Prem but I think he has. He''s not got the pace of Hucks but who has? We could do a lot worse than WLY on the wing at the mo.

Jonson- Give the poor guy a chance. He''s come into the best league in the world and played against some of the best players. Give him a few more weeks to adapt to the game, get his fitness up and he will do well. I guarantee it

And most of all Wiz.....

KEEP THE FAITH!! We haven''t got the best squad in the Prem but those players we have got we need to back and as fans give 100% to

Flick Fleck: Safri''s technical ability does''nt concern me, yes he is class. As I''ve said in the past, often, its his discipline and tremprement which worries me most!.

DD: My friend, if Malky could''nt handle real pace in the first division, do you really think he will cope with it in the Prem?. Time and time again last year, he got skined by pace, can City really take the risk now, that suddenly he can handle pace?. Breaks my heart to say this but Malky''s glory days, at least with City, I think are over.

Svensson: just not contributing and if we get another striker in , can''t see him making bench.

Holt: Giving his all as always, but agree his all isn''t looking good enough, thought yesterday was his best game of the 3 so far though. If playing 4-4-2 though it''s got to be Francis and Safri I would of thought.

McVeigh: Disagree on this one 1st Wiz - before Prem started would have agreed , but think he has done enough so far to stay in the squad.

Jonson: Think he showed some better touches yesterday, and needs to be given longer to settle in - think he will come up with the goods in the next couple of matches and justify his fee.

Mckay: reluctantly agree - another case of there being no room for sentiment. Especially if we do get another striker, leaving Ginger Pele competing with the Charlton and Fleming.

Finally agree entirely about Leon ( anyone that doesn''t?)

I have to agree I think we need to strengthen because some players haven''t settled just yet, but to say anyone should go after a few games, is harsher than rupert lowe. more squad competition is the key.
hang on in there and some of the buys will come good

rich:)

let me remind you that these players are internationals whiz.........

AND McVeigh was the first player to score against a big club...........

1st Wiz - good post - nice to see some debate creating discussion.

I agree with you about Malky (I know he hasnt played but from the performances we have seen so far he would have been totally out of his depth here) and Svensson. Holt has looked poor too but is one of Worthys faves so is likely to stay around for a while yet.

However for Yonson and wee McVeigh I have to disagree.. Yonson had his best game yet for City and seem to be picking up the pace. Give him a few more game and he will be an asset. Mcveigh also looked good against Arsenal and several around me were surprised he was taken off - clearly a tactical rather than performance related change.

As far as Leon is concerned I felt he was quite in effective against arsenal and that Hux was the ONLY striker to have an impact. Leon had a shooting chance but again his first touch let him down (as it did against Toon) - you just dont get that much time in the prem... Leon will improve though so am more than happy to persevere with him - but see little to see why he should start.

However given the possibility that we will get relegated at the end of the season where all the players listd are proven quality performers it would be short sighted to get rid of any of the squad at this stage...

OTBC

So we''ve played three of our toughest matches of the season, we haven''t played any of the "mid tier" teams from whom we need to nick points (the Boltons, Charltons, Evertons etc) and there are folk calling for players to be sacked.

1st Wiz- I have enjoyed many of your posts but this one worried me. Some of the chaps you mention are bit part players up against two of the best teams in Europe.

I want to pick up on 3 of the names in particular:

Holt looked very poor against Man Utd but had much better games against Ncl and the Arse. I feel that he will be dropped for Safri once the latter is fully fit anyway but still a great man to call on if injuries occur.

Malky- yes he''s been rubbish as a poster above pointed out. Not contributed at all this season so he''s just got to go. Hero to zero eh?

Leon- so he''s slated for not smashing the ball past Lehman on the volley, the ball coming across him at an awkward height. He only gets 20 mins per game and he''s expected to run rings round the best team in Europe? At least he harries continuously and has the pace to keep up with Hux. Remember Hux missed a glorious chance against Ncl and no one pasted him for that.

Lets be a bit realistic. Our season really starts now and many of the above have been at the heart of dominating the opposition towards the end of all the last three matches (strangely with Leon on as sub- mere coincidence???).

We need MORE belief not less. Once we know we can take on these outfits we may get some points. Its hard enough at the moment without rubbishing some key squad members after just 4 games.

1st Whiz,someone been rubbing your balls the wrong way?4 games into to the season and you want to start a wholesale muckout!With our huge squad I really don''t think we can afford to get rid of anyone especially as it seems whatever we''ve got will have to do until january.As for poor old slow,obviously one step away from a Zimmer frame Makay at least let the poor old bugger have a try in the prem before writing him off to the care home!

My you certainly have put the cat amongst the pidgeons!

I disagree with you, because we have only played Palace, a new Premier League team like us and basically 3 teams from the supposed top 4. Hardly a representative cross section of the league. When we have played some middle of the road teams, Spurs, Brum, Man City and the like we will have a better idea of how our players will adapt.

The players assesment after 4 games, especially against these teams, is I feel, a little harsh aswell. Look at it after 10 games, by which time we should have a good idea if they will make it or not. We can''t get rid of them now anyway because of the 31 August deadline and the cost.

So stick with it, keep the faith and press on. OTBC

The mighty 1st Wizard manages to post without wheeling out his lame old gag about hex''s, spells and the like - I guess we should be thankful for that. However this momentous occasion, after the repetition of the previous 669 posts, is marred by an attack on some of the players who did us proud last year and have battled hard against three of last years top five premiership teams. Yes Gary Holt has struggled so far this season but look at some of the players he''s been up against. Paul McVeigh, 1st Wizard have you been drinking your potions again, the guy scored at Old Trafford and his having a much better season than last year. The new players are bedding in nicely, Charlton looks a great buy.

We''re playing well with performances which will win us points against the lesser premiership sides. With a bit of luck we would have had three points against the Toon and Palace and could have pinched a point against Man U away. Judge these players at Christmas but until then get behind them - I don''t even mind if you post another 669 posts about your magics and claim every point was down to your evil eye.

Oh and just for the record Pol Pot was an evil, evil man - best to leave gags about that sort of thing well alone.

Al'' Yellow: Firstly as a historian I need no lecture on ''The Killing Fields'', Cambodia or Campochia from you or anyone else. But I will agree my jibe about that evil despot Pol Pot was in bad taste, and of course I apologise for that.

I''m gutted that you don''t like my light hearted slant on magic in my posts. How will I sleep now?.

But if you cannot see that this team is not good enough to survive, yet, then who''s the fool?. We need players like Charlton, Green and Hucks to survive not McVeigh, Mckay and Holt. If nothing is done then that idiot Wilnes''s words will, I''m afraid come true, we will be relegated by Christmas.

I do not fancy another 9 years in the wilderness, every team who has survived their first year in the Prem, spent a lot of cash in doing so. City have spent 1.3 mil?. Hello?.

I wish I had your faith that we are playing well enough to beat or get points from the ''lesser'' clubs, I really do. If your wrong, the team/supporters become demoralised, then what?.

The board must find more money somehow to give Nigel a fighting chance, if not they will be visiting Crewe again next year. Or are they quite content being a YO YO club?. I not really sure on that myself.

Keep the faith is no problem for me. Keep the blind faith, like you and others, is beyond me I''m afraid!.