Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

The F.A and their "respect the referee" campaign

I would love the F.A to view the two penalty incidents from yesterday''s match and tell me how fans/players can possibly respect a referee after those two scandalous decisions.

I thought at the time (from the other end of the pitch) that Coventry''s penalty was soft -and having seen it again on ITV this morning -I think I was being generous. The referee then denies us a blatant penalty later in the half.

I''m afraid that while officials continue to make corrupt decisions like this they will NEVER have respect.

I almost wish we had D''Urso now -with everything that went on between him and Roeder/Clark - it may have actually worked in our favour?

seen the highlights today and Coventrys was a clear penalty im afraid.. soft or not Klingons bought him down...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

seen the highlights today and Coventrys was a clear penalty im afraid.. soft or not Klingons bought him down...

[/quote]

Klingons do not "pursue relationships." They conquer that which they desire.

I find that very attractive.

Clear penalty Jas???!!! Even Coleman admitted it was soft. I was thinking exactly the same today beasto. All this respect rubbish when referees can''t get simple decisions right. I always though respect had to be earnt....and yesterdays clown certainly didn''t earn his!!

[quote user="gcb...norwich"]Clear penalty Jas???!!! Even Coleman admitted it was soft. I was thinking exactly the same today beasto. All this respect rubbish when referees can''t get simple decisions right. I always though respect had to be earnt....and yesterdays clown certainly didn''t earn his!![/quote]

Coleman said it was soft.. he DIDNT say it WASNT a foul did he? theres a difference.... im not happy but a foul is a foul...

Oh really!!!! Well in my opinion aswell as many others that were actually AT THE MATCH it wasn''t a penalty. And coming back to the original post the foul on Hoolihan was a definate pen.

[/quote]Really can''t agree with you there.  I don''t think anyone of us could see it that clearly at the game because it was at the other end, but I have played the Championship highlight backwards and forwards a good number of times at normal and in slow motion and there is no contact other than Clinghan just touching him on the back at the beginning of the guy''s run. The Cov player should have been booked IMO it was that blatant. 

[/quote]

You''ve seen the highlights and you STILL think it''s a penaly !!!?? , you''ve got to be joking?

It''s a shame ITV didn''t show the blatant penalty Hoolahan should have had, or for that matter Koroma''s one on one

But anyway -back to my original point - they were still bleating on about this ridiculous "respect" b**locks during the charity sheild again today.

The sooner this latest fad from the F,A blows over the better, - referees will never have respect because they are in the main corrupt cheats who more often than not have decided which team they are going to favour when they wake up on the morning of the game - as witnessed yesterday. Looking back , it was probably a waste of time appealing for our ''penalty'' as we were never going to get a decision like that out of that ref.

Referees have over stepped their mark and now believe thay are the stars of the show -instead of paying them more respect, it''s time to put them back in their place and punish them for disgracful decisions like yesterday and fine them their match wages !.

Depends. If it was outside of the box it was a free kick every time. However as its inside the box it moves into "Not enough for a penalty" territory.

Bring in indirect free kicks for non-goalscoring opportunities in the box and that problem is solved..

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

You''ve seen the highlights and you STILL think it''s a penaly !!!?? , you''ve got to be joking?

It''s a shame ITV didn''t show the blatant penalty Hoolahan should have had, or for that matter Koroma''s one on one

But anyway -back to my original point - they were still bleating on about this ridiculous "respect" b**locks during the charity sheild again today.

The sooner this latest fad from the F,A blows over the better, - referees will never have respect because they are in the main corrupt cheats who more often than not have decided which team they are going to favour when they wake up on the morning of the game - as witnessed yesterday. Looking back , it was probably a waste of time appealing for our ''penalty'' as we were never going to get a decision like that out of that ref.

Referees have over stepped their mark and now believe thay are the stars of the show -instead of paying them more respect, it''s time to put them back in their place and punish them for disgracful decisions like yesterday and fine them their match wages !.

[/quote]That is a fucking outrageous comment to make. The referees do not favour a team, what have they got to gain from it? He made a couple of mistakes on Saturday, so did Stefanovic. You aren''t calling Stefanovic a disgrace and saying his wages should be docked. Referees are human after all, they do make mistakes. They have a split second to make a tough call, they have one angle to view it from. You''ve seen it on video, you can watch it as many times as you like to get it right. You don''t have the angle the referee had, it could''ve looked like Clingan brought him down from his angle. Albeit soft I believe that the penalty actually, by the exact letter of the law, was the right thing to do, Clingan did bring him down. Personally, as a qualified ref myself, I wouldn''t of given it.Before you start having a go at these "corrupt" refs, get yourself on the course and have a go yourself. Its not as easy as you armchair refs like to think it is.

Just watched the highlights, and utter blatent dive in my opinion, but that was the trend for Coventry where they spent most of the day flinging themselves to the floor everytime our players went near them. If your going to give fouls for that kind of thing then you''d be giving them every miniute!Utter rubbish highlights if you ask me though, show nothing of our penatly shout or half our chances we had and make out like coventry were a dominate force, despite us being the better team easily.http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/coventryvideo/

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]
That is a fucking outrageous comment to make. The referees do not favour a team, what have they got to gain from it? Stefanovic. He made a couple of mistakes on Saturday, so did You aren''t calling Stefanovic a disgrace and saying his wages should be docked. Referees are human after all, they do make mistakes. They have a split second to make a tough call, they have one angle to view it from. You''ve seen it on video, you can watch it as many times as you like to get it right. You don''t have the angle the referee had, it could''ve looked like Clingan brought him down from his angle. Albeit soft I believe that the penalty actually, by the exact letter of the law, was the right thing to do, Clingan did bring him down. Personally, as a qualified ref myself, I wouldn''t of given it.

Before you start having a go at these "corrupt" refs, get yourself on the course and have a go yourself. Its not as easy as you armchair refs like to think it is.
[/quote]

An "outrageous" comment is it?, Well then explain to me how,when a referee has a clear view of both of these incidents he can give one side (the home side) a dubious penalty -yet in the same game doesn''t give the other side a more blatant penalty if he isn''t favouring one team over the other.  What other possible explanation can there be?.

I was there, at the front row, ours wasn''t a penalty I don''t think Hoolahan was brought down really, just seemed to me he ran out of places to go.  And although it''s hard to tell from our end and the distance of the camera from where there one was given, it looked very soft, definitely not a penalty.  However - it was stupid and foolish of Clingan to touch the player - if you''re near the box thats the last thing anyone should do as the player will probably go down, however weak the touch is.  If he''s been touched he''s got the right to go down (I think that''s wrong but it''s the way it is).

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]I was there, at the front row, ours wasn''t a penalty I don''t think Hoolahan was brought down really, just seemed to me he ran out of places to go.  And although it''s hard to tell from our end and the distance of the camera from where there one was given, it looked very soft, definitely not a penalty.  However - it was stupid and foolish of Clingan to touch the player - if you''re near the box thats the last thing anyone should do as the player will probably go down, however weak the touch is.  If he''s been touched he''s got the right to go down (I think that''s wrong but it''s the way it is).[/quote]

"The right to go down" ??????? ..........and,therefore, cheat his fellow pros ? [:$] 

I ''m not knocking what you''re saying,my friend. Unfortunately the honest-to-God TV ''experts'' & ''pundits'' such as Andy Gray,Ian Wright & Alan Shearer etc have convinced most fans that it''s a jolly little jape to con referees - all part of the game ,eh [:(]

[quote user="gcb...norwich"]Clear penalty Jas???!!! Even Coleman admitted it was soft. I was thinking exactly the same today beasto. All this respect rubbish when referees can''t get simple decisions right. I always though respect had to be earnt....and yesterdays clown certainly didn''t earn his!![/quote]

Coleman said it was soft.. he DIDNT say it WASNT a foul did he? theres a difference.... im not happy but a foul is a foul...

[/quote]

This is what Coleman actually said : -

"It wasn''t a good performance but the desire and will to win were good. We were desperate at times and we''re a much better team than we showed today.

"I''m delighted for Leon. He came on and did well and was unlucky not score with his first touch.

"I thought Norwich should have had a penalty and maybe we should not have had one.

"But I don''t feel sorry because we will be on the end of bad decisions at some point during the season."

CID - I did say "I think it''s wrong but it''s the way it is".

I completely agree with you but that''s the state of the game these days and much though I hate it, getting touched slightly and going down is likely to get you a penalty....  And if our player hadn''t touched him there would never have been an issue, never the chance to go down.

There are refs/officials out there who cheat. People are naive if they don''t think that''s the case. It''s not applicable to all of them but there are a few who thrive on the power they have and abuse it.

But the other problem is that refs can be weak. It''s ok saying they''re only humans too etc etc but at the end of the day players giving the ref some stick has always been part of the game and if they can''t hack it then they shouldn''t be in the job. 

This campagin by the FA is basically them trying to avoid criticism of the poor quality of officials they''ve got in the game at the moment.

If supporters and players don''t give refs respect, then the game will stop at grassroots level.  Why ?  Because people copy what they see at the top.  In my opinion refs deserve respect for putting themselves in the middle of 22 blokes when they know that whatever they do, they''re going to end up annoying 11 of them.  There is a shortage of people willing to do this these days, and who can blame them when officiating at a over a game of football can end up with all sorts of threats, accusations and occasionally violence.

Decisions have to be made by refs on the spot, and with no replays to help them - whether in the Championship or in the Business Houses league.  As a result, wrong decisions will be made.  But these decisions will more than likely even out over the course of the season, and to call refs corrupt is quite frankly laughable.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

CID - I did say "I think it''s wrong but it''s the way it is".

I completely agree with you but that''s the state of the game these days and much though I hate it, getting touched slightly and going down is likely to get you a penalty....  And if our player hadn''t touched him there would never have been an issue, never the chance to go down.

[/quote]

Respect .....I think we''re both of the same mind [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

If supporters and players don''t give refs respect, then the game will stop at grassroots level.  Why ?  Because people copy what they see at the top.  In my opinion refs deserve respect for putting themselves in the middle of 22 blokes when they know that whatever they do, they''re going to end up annoying 11 of them.  There is a shortage of people willing to do this these days, and who can blame them when officiating at a over a game of football can end up with all sorts of threats, accusations and occasionally violence.

Decisions have to be made by refs on the spot, and with no replays to help them - whether in the Championship or in the Business Houses league.  As a result, wrong decisions will be made.  But these decisions will more than likely even out over the course of the season, and to call refs corrupt is quite frankly laughable.

[/quote]

I think everyone accepts that it''s far from easy to make decisions that everyone would be happy with. I think people are happier if they can see why a ref made a decision even if they disagree with it.

But there are refs out there who knowingly give incorrect decisions, anyone who has played the game and anyone who watches it can see that.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

I think everyone accepts that it''s far from easy to make decisions that everyone would be happy with. I think people are happier if they can see why a ref made a decision even if they disagree with it.

But there are refs out there who knowingly give incorrect decisions, anyone who has played the game and anyone who watches it can see that.

[/quote]

Referees are an imperfect solution, but they are the best available solution in situations where you have to 2 opposing sides arguing over whether foul play as occured, and on which side.  The fact is that if they aren''t shown respect, then fewer and fewer people will bother to volunteer to referee, or to qualify to become one for that matter.  Where would that leave our national game ?

On your point GJP I think that there are refs who realise after the event that they called something incorrectly, but choose to go with their original decision.  There are also occasions where a ref will look to "even things up" if he feels that he''s been harsh in hindsight on one team.  But that''s human nature.  I can think of only a very few occasions where a ref has knowingly given an incorrect decision.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Referees are an imperfect solution, but they are the best available solution in situations where you have to 2 opposing sides arguing over whether foul play as occured, and on which side.  The fact is that if they aren''t shown respect, then fewer and fewer people will bother to volunteer to referee, or to qualify to become one for that matter.  Where would that leave our national game ?

On your point GJP I think that there are refs who realise after the event that they called something incorrectly, but choose to go with their original decision.  There are also occasions where a ref will look to "even things up" if he feels that he''s been harsh in hindsight on one team.  But that''s human nature.  I can think of only a very few occasions where a ref has knowingly given an incorrect decision.

[/quote]

But they have to earn the respect as well. Respect can''t be expected if they''re job properly.

Plenty of times they knowingly call it wrong.

I doubt whether there is much "knowingly" calling it wrong that goes on.

Refs make mistakes, I thought it was a pen on Saturday until I saw it on TV and I wasn''t convinced that ours was. Most of us seemed to have doubts given the reasction of the Norwich fans which was rather muted.

I like the idea of players being made to show referees more respect. Fozzy could easily have gone for his childish antics on Saturday which were, especially the tantrum that got him booked, frankly embasassing. Old cliche but rugby really do have this right. My Dad used to ref on a Sunday morning for us as kids and by the time we were 16 he had to give up because the abuse from the players (and even worse from  the parents) made it pretty dangerous. The kids are demonstrating behaviour they see from their "heroes". The "heroes" need to learn to behave.

[/quote]

I was at the match and said straightaway it looked innocuous. It was replayed on the big screen in the right corner to the right of us and I also saw it on TV. It was clearly not a penalty. I saw the Hoola Hoops pen from no more than 20 metres away, therefore, directly in front of me, and never mind Hoola Hoop''s silly comment on the website that was, most definitely, a penalty.

[/quote]

perhaps you sahoul get a bigger telle then, because From the Jewson stand where we were sat he never touched him hard enought to topple a feather

Referees will never gain respect whilst they make decisions like that made on Saturday and that leads me to say that only when technology is introduced will we have a chance to respect referees and those at the FA. Instead of moving forward and introducing technology what have the FA done they have banned the technology that many clubs had in the dugout showing replays of what had happened. Hackett at the FA hides behind Sepp Blatter at FIFA yes the man that likened Ronaldo to a slave oh well thats progress.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="NCFC_Thain"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]
That is a fucking outrageous comment to make. The referees do not favour a team, what have they got to gain from it? Stefanovic. He made a couple of mistakes on Saturday, so did You aren''t calling Stefanovic a disgrace and saying his wages should be docked. Referees are human after all, they do make mistakes. They have a split second to make a tough call, they have one angle to view it from. You''ve seen it on video, you can watch it as many times as you like to get it right. You don''t have the angle the referee had, it could''ve looked like Clingan brought him down from his angle. Albeit soft I believe that the penalty actually, by the exact letter of the law, was the right thing to do, Clingan did bring him down. Personally, as a qualified ref myself, I wouldn''t of given it.

Before you start having a go at these "corrupt" refs, get yourself on the course and have a go yourself. Its not as easy as you armchair refs like to think it is.
[/quote]

An "outrageous" comment is it?, Well then explain to me how,when a referee has a clear view of both of these incidents he can give one side (the home side) a dubious penalty -yet in the same game doesn''t give the other side a more blatant penalty if he isn''t favouring one team over the other.  What other possible explanation can there be?.

[/quote]

You have made some outrageous claims on here GJL. Firstly referees make their decision based upon their opinion - thats why the Ref is never wrong - The lack of respect comes from overpaid players who don''t know the rules and want to win at all costs. Refs serve a long and tough appreticeship to get to the football league, perhaps you should give it a try at local level and you can witness just how difficult. Does this mean the Ref is always right ? No, but you are just highlighting two incidents in a game that you didn''t agree with. Be objective and look at the game as a whole, not just the bits that don''t suit you.