Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Roeder - "I have another striker coming in"

[quote user="newyorkcanary"][quote user="USAcanary"]

I am almost 100 % certain the striker is Iversen.

GR mentioned the player had a good weekend for his club...................... Iverson scored.................. again.

He has a British wife and has said he wants to end his career in England............ his club have just signed a target man on loan from Burnley

The broken "promise" is that he could go if they got a replacement.............. they have one............ so thats all the pieces of the jigsaw. 

[/quote]

Agreed.  He''s our man.

[/quote]

From what I remember of his style of play at Spurs, there is a very good chance that he could be the ideal foil for our smaller strikers and bring us more cohesion up front. And I think that his age is a bonus, after all, we need experience. Could be a good signing in my opinion, not brilliant in itself but, as the ''piece of the jigsaw'' he could be exactly what we need. I for one hope we sign him.   

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="newyorkcanary"][quote user="USAcanary"]

I am almost 100 % certain the striker is Iversen.

GR mentioned the player had a good weekend for his club...................... Iverson scored.................. again.

He has a British wife and has said he wants to end his career in England............ his club have just signed a target man on loan from Burnley

The broken "promise" is that he could go if they got a replacement.............. they have one............ so thats all the pieces of the jigsaw. 

[/quote]

Agreed.  He''s our man.

[/quote]

From what I remember of his style of play at Spurs, there is a very good chance that he could be the ideal foil for our smaller strikers and bring us more cohesion up front. And I think that his age is a bonus, after all, we need experience. Could be a good signing in my opinion, not brilliant in itself but, as the ''piece of the jigsaw'' he could be exactly what we need. I for one hope we sign him.   

[/quote]I know I''m repeating myself, but I do know for a fact that Roeder''s

after Steffen. The only question is whether Rosenborg will let him go.I keep asking, but: does anybody know any Spurs fans who remember him>

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]That''s the thing. I don''t see myself as a Wiz basher at all, more of a bit of a sparring partner (in the friendliest way possible). And I couldn''t agree more that this MB would be a far poorer place without him, he gets threads going like no other. I''m sure he''ll confirm that I''ve posted concerns for his health when he''s been missing for a while. He seems like a good old boy and I have fun ''arguing/debating'' [;)] with him, that''s the point of this board. I just don''t understand why picking him up on what I consider to be his BS is somehow construed as picking on him. It''s all done in the friendliest spirit and to suggest that he is not capable of giving as good as he gets in kind is, in my opinion, laughable. 

And I don''t find him irritating at all, I just like to poke fun when he is obviously evading tricky questions that don''t suit etc etc. Simple as that ... it''s a bit of fun and I can''t believe he doesn''t expect it when you see some of the threads he has started. [:)]       

[/quote]

I don''t see Macdougalls Perm as a ''me'' basher myself, and to be fair to him, he did show some genuine concern for me 3 years ago when I had my heart attack..............but he does like a  good old joust, and he does favour the odd sneaky phrase at my expense sometimes.

But as The Canary Fan rightly said, he isn''t one of the rabid brigade on here either, and I do have a high regard for his imput here, and would, just like Yankee Canary, miss them both terribly if they weren''t on this message board..

I intend to ignore the silly claims that I''m not a City supporter, as with my record of time put in under the yellow and green banner, I don''t have to justify bugger all to anyone!.[:|]

YearsClubApp (Gls)*
1995–1996
1996–2003
2003–2004
2004–2005
2006–
Rosenborg B.K.
Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers
VÃ¥lerenga I.F.
Rosenborg B.K.
50 (18)
143 (36)
16 (4)
29 (11)
45 (32) 

Not entirely impressive is it?!

less that 1 in 2 for rosenborg first time round

less than 1 in 4, nearly 1 in 5 for spurs

1 in 4 for wolves

nearly 1 in 3 for valarenga

over 1 in 2 for rosenborg lately

but seriously how can he be he player you all really want?!

Oh and then look at this for Beckford

YearsClubApp (Gls)*
2001–2006
2003–2004
2006–
Wealdstone
→ Uxbridge (loan)
Leeds United
→ Carlisle United (loan)
→ Scunthorpe United (loan)

98 (51)
7 (2)
51 (22)
4 (1)
18 (8)   

Vastly more impressive as well as being a lot younger and also quicker...

I dont think we necessarily need a battering ram, how we played at coventry just suggests we need a finisher who also has a bit of height for corsses coming into the box. We arnt looking at play route 1 football so his lack of strength isnt a problem. He is also quick and will get in behind defenders from the numerous through balls etc. from Hoolahan and Lupoli

Sorry but I saw Jermaine Beckfrod play several times for Leeds last season on TV and on each occasion he looked hopeless. He obviously scores a few goals at the lower levels but evidence shows you that very average players get goals in leagues 1 and 2.

Iversen and Ameobi are an entirely different level to beckford. he may come good but we can''t afford to pay the amount of money they are after to take that chance!

How is Iversen on a completely different level to Beckford.

Iversens record in the Championship is 1 in 4 and in the Premiership is 1 in 5, and you would be happy with that?

Beckford''s record is 1 in 2 in the league below us so i think it would be a safe bet his record in our league would be a lot better than 1 in 4.

And you seem to be alluding to the opinion that League 1 isnt as good as the Championship, if so then why do teams that get promoted into out league do so well with usually the same squads as they came up with?!

Beckford has found his level I''m afraid.  He was hopeless when

Leeds first bought him and even when they were struggling they loaned

him out to some League 1 clubs... he enjoyed a spot of form at that

level last season, but he''d have to do a lot more to convince me he''s

the answer to our problems.

Steffan does have the pedigree and is on fine form at the moment,

albeit again in a smaller league.  He does have the experience

though and I reckon he''d do a fine job at Championship level.

This is, of course, just my opinion based on his Spurs years. 

Stats don''t really mean anything when you sign a new player - look at

Chris Brown for us compared to Preston!  I many ways every player

we buy is a gamble, but some more so than others. Iversen would be less

of a gamble than Beckford, in my opinion...

Curetons scoring record is better than Iversen''s at this level but everyone is quick to criticise him. He got 1 in 3 for us last year.

We need a goal scorer and how does Iversen fit that bill?!

Have to say that I''m a lot more impressed by 36 goals at Spurs than 51 goals at Uxbridge!Goals don''t tell the whple story either; I have a cousin who''s a Tottenham supporter & I seem to remember him really rating Steffen; I was really looking for an assesment of his all-round ability at the top level. Also, bear in mind that Wolves were struggling in the Prem. when he was there. And he didn''t want to be there.

Yeh at a rate of 1 in 5, so taking that into account he would get around 9 goals for us next season. Would you be happy with that from our first choice striker?

And its not about bringing someone in who can win flick ons and set up chances for Cureton etc. because we created enough chances on Saturday without that, we just needed someone on the end of them who could finish the chances of and thus we need a 20 goals a season striker if not more.

Im not saying that Beckford is who we should be aiming for, but in terms of what we need I think he is by far and away the better option than Iversen

Well if you''re going to run this purely on stats, Iversen''s overall

record is 1 in 3 from his playing career.  That equates to 15

goals a season, which is a good return for a target man.  If the

idea is that he would feed a smaller striker as well, say JC or Lupes,

who also get 1 in 3 then that''s a 30 goal partnership, which is a lot

more than any of them have managed in recent years... Add maybe a good

season and a better strike rate, and..... well, you''re the

statistician, you tell me what happens next.  Personally, I

couldn''t care less what numbers tell me, I prefer to watch a player''s

game.....

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Well if you''re going to run this purely on stats, Iversen''s overall

record is 1 in 3 from his playing career.  That equates to 15

goals a season, which is a good return for a target man.  If the

idea is that he would feed a smaller striker as well, say JC or Lupes,

who also get 1 in 3 then that''s a 30 goal partnership, which is a lot

more than any of them have managed in recent years... Add maybe a good

season and a better strike rate, and..... well, you''re the

statistician, you tell me what happens next.  Personally, I

couldn''t care less what numbers tell me, I prefer to watch a player''s

game.....[/quote]Absolutely. Hux wasn''t a prolific goal scorer, but he could completely galvanize a team. Now, I''m not directly comparing Steff to Hux - they are obviously completely different players - he just may have the ''presence'' to boost the confidence of the team, bringing more goals from others. The missing piece of the jigsaw.I think that''s what Glenn sees in him, anyway.

Im not a statistician but simply pointing out what we need.. And thats someone who is going to score 20 + goals a season

What is the point in bringing in someone with their sole purpose to set up chances for Cureton etc. and who is only going to end up with around 10 goals themselves. Cureton and Iversen together would bring around 25 goals between them, where as we could get a proper goal scorer who would get those 25 goals himself as well as having Cureton or Lupoli who would get around 15 themself..

Stop being so narrow minded

Please tell me what is so good about Iversen? And have you actually ever seen him play? Or are you going on reputations?

Oh and what happens in a year or two when his legs go because he will be around 34/35 because trust me not all players can carry on like Dion

Its not just about having someone to kick the ball to from the defence, or creating chances for our little strikers. As these stats are flying around like the rain, can someone tell me when the last time someone that ISNT Dion Dublin scored a header from open play?

My point is that a bigger striker will give us a different dimension, suddenly Marshall''s long kicks won''t seem as pointless, when our wingers get in decent positions they can cross rather than holding up playing and going backwards. Apart from Crofty. He just fails [:P]

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]

YearsClubApp (Gls)*
1995–1996
1996–2003
2003–2004
2004–2005
2006–
Rosenborg B.K.
Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers
VÃ¥lerenga I.F.
Rosenborg B.K.
50 (18)
143 (36)
16 (4)
29 (11)
45 (32) 

Not entirely impressive is it?!

less that 1 in 2 for rosenborg first time round

less than 1 in 4, nearly 1 in 5 for spurs

1 in 4 for wolves

nearly 1 in 3 for valarenga

over 1 in 2 for rosenborg lately

but seriously how can he be he player you all really want?!

[/quote]

Exactly but with Lupoli''s goal scoring record, he''ll be just what everyone wants. Then we can have two un-prolific strikers.

Just walk a way Glenn, walk away. [:|]

Adapted from my post on CarrowRoad.net

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]Stop being so narrow minded[/quote]

I''d be interested to know how I''ve come across as "narrow minded"?

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]Or are you going on reputations?[/quote]

Yes, and a few times I''ve seen him on Sky over the years...

[quote user="Giovani Dos Santos"]Because you cant seem to accept any

other targets? It seems like its Iversen or bust for you..[/quote]

Would you like to point me towards where I''ve said that? I would

also accept Rasiak and Ameobi.  I don''t feel that Beckford is the

answer.

And how can you judge a player from a few games on sky..

Idiot[/quote]

Slightly better than judging a player based on Wikipedia stats, isn''t

it?  Fact is none of us really know exactly how Steffan or any

other player will fare at our great club.

Now who''s the idiot?

Im not a statistician but simply pointing out what we need.. And thats someone who is going to score 20 + goals a season

What is the point in bringing in someone with their sole purpose to set up chances for Cureton etc. and who is only going to end up with around 10 goals themselves. Cureton and Iversen together would bring around 25 goals between them, where as we could get a proper goal scorer who would get those 25 goals himself as well as having Cureton or Lupoli who would get around 15 themself..

Please tell me what is so good about Iversen? And have you actually ever seen him play? Or are you going on reputations?

Oh and what happens in a year or two when his legs go because he will be around 34/35 because trust me not all players can carry on like Dion

[/quote]

With all due respect, I think the remark in bold is a bit ridiculous. Surely the point is that the team needs to scorea decent number of goals, 60+, which one striker alone cannot do.It''s one of the things that worried me about Earnie, he''d score over 20 goals but didn''t enable anybody else to score; from memory, diidn''t the team do just as well after he was injured as they did when he was playing?The problem is, nobody really has certain knowledge about how teams & individual players are going to fit together - they''d be no point in playing if there was! All I know is that Roeder wants Iversen & I''m prepared to back his judgement.

Guess it will be Iversen . Not a bad signing I reckon, but I don''t really care anymore ''bout who it is . As long as we sign some sort of striker!

Fed up with this saga, ain''t you?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]
Slightly better than judging a player based on Wikipedia stats, isn''t it?  Fact is none of us really know exactly how Steffan or any other player will fare at our great club.

Now who''s the idiot?

[/quote]

Veloherts [:D]

[/quote]

With respect,I don''t think you''ve thought this through.You accuse Evil Monkey of being narrow minded yet you seem intent on making Beckford the only possible conclusion.I watched Iversen play many times for Spurs and he was a class act,great in the air and sharp on the ground.I accept that he will have lost a little( but not much),after all that''s why he''s looking to come to the Championship,not the Premiership.If his legs go in two years and he''s got us into the Premier then I''ll be more than happy....I don''t really see the relevance of your argument there.

Beckford,on the other hand has no form at this level and would,IMHO,be a huge punt.

Oh,and resorting to calling someone an idiot when they have argued rationally with you doesn''t really give you the intellectual high ground!Wink [;)]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]Well if you''re going to run this purely on stats, Iversen''s overall record is 1 in 3 from his playing career.  That equates to 15 goals a season, which is a good return for a target man.  If the idea is that he would feed a smaller striker as well, say JC or Lupes, who also get 1 in 3 then that''s a 30 goal partnership, which is a lot more than any of them have managed in recent years... Add maybe a good season and a better strike rate, and..... well, you''re the statistician, you tell me what happens next.  Personally, I couldn''t care less what numbers tell me, I prefer to watch a player''s game.....
[/quote]

Absolutely. Hux wasn''t a prolific goal scorer, but he could completely galvanize a team. Now, I''m not directly comparing Steff to Hux - they are obviously completely different players - he just may have the ''presence'' to boost the confidence of the team, bringing more goals from others. The missing piece of the jigsaw.
I think that''s what Glenn sees in him, anyway.
[/quote]

Exactly, rather than simply scoring goals, which I believe he would do, I think he would bring us more experience in maintaining composure and confidence in front of goal; which, in my opinion, sounded like what we were missing on Saturday from the numerous comments about us trying to walk the ball into the net or Lupoli and Croft snatching at chances and fluffing them. A player of his type holds the ball in the opposing team''s last third and would give us more time and cohesion for the smaller players to pass their way through defences and, as someone else has said, who was the last player other than DD that scored for us with their head; so he gives our wingers another option.

Yes, he could flop here (any player could) but I personally think he is worth a go and hope that we sign him.

PS to Wiz. Nice one, I can assure you that it''s all done with the friendliest of intentions. [:)]  

Because you cant seem to accept any other targets?

It seems like its Iversen or bust for you..

And how can you judge a player from a few games on sky..

Idiot

[/quote]

I''ve never said this to anyone on here before because it''s horribly patronising but ... you really should get outside and make the most of your summer holidays. [:D]  

Spoke to a Spurs fan this morning whose judgement on players is always fair and balanced and he seemed to think that by bringing Iversen to the club would be  a good signing at this level.He continued to say that he thought as he had a "footballing brain" and this would help all around him,although not the traditional target man player he felt he would flourish for us.So no pressure there Steffen,30 goals please!

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Spoke to a Spurs fan this morning whose judgement on players is always fair and balanced and he seemed to think that by bringing Iversen to the club would be  a good signing at this level.He continued to say that he thought as he had a "footballing brain" and this would help all around him,although not the traditional target man player he felt he would flourish for us.So no pressure there Steffen,30 goals please![/quote]iversen sounds like a footballer in the mould of teddy sheringham.,/we''ve got plenty of clever, tricky players now to set the chances up - i just thinking some raw power is needed to finish these chances off - and for me beckford fits the bill.,/