Sign in to follow this  
Rhiadd

What changes do we need?

As a small boy standing on the old open terraces of Carrow Road with my Father one of my most vivid memories is of four team officials parading around the pitch with a blanket stretched between them into which the crowd threw whatever they could afford. Yes, the team was that hard up. The next year 1959, we had the cup run. Since then, wherever I have lived in the world, first thing on Monday mornings I would check the local paper for Norwich City results. Now I listen on-line. Lots of changes in some ways and in others, none at all. We still sell our best players, we still struggle for money, we still howl about a lack of ambition. Today it is very much a rich person''s game. A truly rich person''s game. While Delia Smith and the Turners may be very well off indeed compared to most of us, they cannot afford to really compete at a high level and cannot afford to fund rampant ambition. It requires the Peter Cullum''s of the world, like it or not. Without some entity that can afford to fund their hobby at a very high level we are like the majority of football fans - left to enjoy a few highs and seemingly a great many more lows. These things however do seem to mix together well and are completely addictive. I shall continue to hope we attract a Peter Cullum, sign a striker who can actually score, train Mr. Roeder to be a great deal less arrogantly autocratic and stop ordering the ball to be passed endlessly sideways, return to the Premiership as less than a doormat and in general win everything there is to win. If none of that happens, I shall be content with Bly''s goal against Tottenham, the three in the snow against Manchester United, the crush of forty thousand plus singing their hearts out  during the Sheffield triumph and the deep sadness when listening at school to the Luton replay on the once and only treat of a radio in the classroom. It''s a funny old game.