Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Inspirational captain Fotheringham - you're having a laugh

When you are going through a bad patch players tend to look to their captain for inspiration, and in Fotheringham we have one of the poorest I have seen at Norwich for years.  How many more times do we have to listen to commentators say '' Fotheringham has given it away again'' or ''another poor free kick / corner by Fotheringham''.   Glen Roeder should consider making Kennedy / Stefanovich or even Clingan captain, and then at least we will have a player who would lead by example.  Thankfully Fotheringham has only been given a one year contract, and then he can go back to Scotland.

Agree with you there

Fozzy and his ''Red Mist'' syndrome inspires no confidence whatsoever in me. Plus his one year contract hardly screams ''commitment'' does it?

Stefanovic would be a better choice, imho.

I can''t see what Roeder sees in Fotheringham, can''t pass or shoot and his pass completion rate must be only marginally better than Pattison. I''m amazed the opta stats haven''t shown him up for what he is by now.

I''ve said this for ages that Fotheringham is poor most of the time, I have no idea what Glenn really sees in him. I''d love to see Clingan and Russell in midfield Saturday please Glenn!

I say give it to Koroma ;)

Seriously though I don''t agree, Fozzy might not be the greatest player, but he at least gets stuck in, which is what we need in a captain in this league. Who else would be better for the job in all seriousness?

Look out for the bloke who stand around doing relatively nothing... you can''t miss our captain that way :)

that just about somes it up really! hes the one whos ''leadership'' is just what the club needs! hmmmm

as for his shooting...im thinking a career switch...rugby maybe?

I don''t rate Fotheringham - can''t really think of anything major he has contributed, and didn''t even want to sign more than a one year contract with us. Nothing more than a mercenary journeyman IMO, but somehow has impressed Roeder. I am getting slowly more concerned at Roeder''s man management though - he seems as if he can''t accept any sort of constructive criticism or input from anybody outside of his "Norwich Family circle of trust". I appreciate the work he''s done so far, but we seem to have the same problem we had last season - finishing chances, without any solution in sight.Back on topic, anybody who says Fozzy is one of those players who you don''t notice but miss when he''s not playing - I agree to a point, but Clingan seems to be a player in a similar role who impresses more. For me a Russell and Clingan CM pairing is the best we have at the moment, but still worryingly short of the creativity we need. I honestly can''t believe Fotheringham is keeping Russell out of the team given the preseason Rusty had, and the performances he''s put in recently...

I have to add, has Roeder backed himself into a corner with giving the captaincy to Fotheringham; does he really believe Fozzy should be the first name on the team sheet, and the guy to lead us, or is he too stubborn to admit he was wrong?I mean, Roeder seems comfortable with dropping everybody else (Marshall excluded) - but Captain Invincible is still anonymous throughout each 90 minutes...

ncfcstar - you are right when you say someone who gets stuck in, however in COUNTLESS occasions last season he was seen shouting in the face of the ref and sometimes getting booked for it (no role model thats for sure, Dion did it calmly every time in the way a leader should)

We need a man like Dion, a man with experience, a man in control of himself and his play and someone who can be vocal and get behind the team.

Fotheringham is not in control of what he does, his passing is often lackluster and he gets booked for abusing the officials at times.

Stefanovic is hugely experienced and a good role model to those around him. I still stick to my original guns that Russell is a great midfield role model, he gets stuck in defending and wins the ball a LOT in midfield, he scores goals and always contributes getting forward.

Rusty for Cptn!

wot the coventry failed to mention was that the dead ball in question is in fact a meat ball...with spaghetti

Agree completely Carrow Roeder. Have to also add (whilst it doesn''t mean a lot), at the "Evening with Dion" meal, Rusty, Dion and Jamie were all very nice to talk to and more than happy to have their photo taken with my girlfriend - but when it came to Fozzy he could not hide his contempt and was quite rude. I understand that it must be frustrating to constantly have punters asking to take your photo, and it is unfair to judge him on one incident, but I have to say he did not come across as very interested in an important social event for the club.Is this really Captian material?

Seriously? I can understand players get frustrated by fans asking for photos etc, however the Captain should be the FIRST person to step and get involved with the fans in the public arena.

Rusty for Captain :)

didn`t fozzy delay signing a contract until he was sure the club matched his ambitions ? this berk is a squad player at best  give the armband to russell

AMEN! He loves the club, started his career here and hopefully will end it here, he loves the place, loves the fans and give his all every time! True inspiration for us all

We went to the pre-season dinner last season and ended up sitting on a table with Shacks, who had been made Captain by Granty.

Shacks was very nice, a good laugh and the opposite of what you say about Fozzy.

I thought it was a good decision to make him Captain until I saw how nervous he was about having to get up and make a speech in front of all the players and guests (think: Lynx advert when the sweat is squirting out from the guy''s armpits).

Eek!

That same evening, Dion got up and spoke eloquently for 5-10 minutes without any nerves, deviation or hesitation.

Some players have it, some don''t.

IMO, Fozzy doesn''t have it.

Fozzy has the will and desire and will run all day, last year he had some really good games and was a really ood creative spark for us, its not happened so far, but as we all know we have only had one league game and one cup game, loved to have won both, but we know the outcome. Give him more time, give the team time. He does need a kick up the ass on his dead balls, they are pants.

Point is, you say give him time - but we don''t have the time, we NEED to make a positive start over the first half dozen games. It also seems a little unfair when players like Cureton and Croft work hard, but are singled out for criticism. However, Fozzy is never mentioned when he doesn''t contribute. In my mind, this is even more of a concern when you have an in form Russell who doesn''t get anymore than a cameo role off the bench...To be fair to Roeder, he is not one for sentiment so I haven no doubt he is seeing something we''re not. Will be interesting to see what squad he goes for on Sat...

Have to say has been pretty sloppy in the first 2 games and even in pre season when i saw him he seemed quite. Problem is there arent really too many other candidates to be honest. The only 3 i would consider are Stefanovic, Russell or Kennedy and Kennedy is on loan so he couldnt really do it

"He does need a kick up the ass on his dead balls, they are pants."

I actually laughed, out loud.

Will kicking him in the knackers really make things better?

Ah this annoys me! OK he gives the ball away a few times during a game but what about the 30 - 40 times he actually picks out a yellow shirt?! What about the games he missed last season? What about the lack of anyone who could do that job in those games? Please, for your own sakes, go and learn a little about how the game of football works.

It might make the ball past the first bloody player, he would scream, his body jerks forward and then up and away.

Will we ever get somebody who can take a decent free kick? Or even get 80% of their corners to beat the first man? It can''t be that hard, surely....?I thought Fozzy was okay last season, and perhaps I have been harsh on him and he takes his captaincy seriously - and does his best. Thing is though, only agreeing a one year contract extension is not a sign of a strong committed leader is it?! Have to say, this made me wonder... was it on his part, or the clubs?

Maybe you''re right about last season (and the missing games) can''tbelieveyou''rehere, but if you think he is a top midfielder for doing a "job" in a team that finished 17th, then I think maybe you need to learn a little about how football works.Do you not think we have other players who can do the job now (Clingan has looked very tidy from what I''ve seen)? Would you play Fozzy over Clingan/Rusty?