Sign in to follow this  
norwich 4ever 4ever

Steve MacLean , wot do you lot recken out there

I see he is on loan from rangers and only 21 14 goals so far but you have to ask yourself is it really very good getting a player who may of looked good in division 3? after all huckerby and crouch are premier players and not from two leagues below

I am kind of thinking that it is going to be the same old story instead getting huckerby we are going to end with some cheap make weight ?

cheers

Impressive strike rate but unproven at this level and I doubt he has as much potential as Jarvis. He may be worth a look to boost a threadbare squad as far as strikers are concerned but only if we dont keep our current loan signings.

However this is not really the transfer news I want to be seeing from city at the moment. We should be focusing on the crouch and hucks position - with them at the club til the seasons end there is no need to get another striker - with the excellent Jarvis in the wings and Iwan able to provide 20min cover from the bench he is an unneeded addition to the squad if our finances are as tight as claimed.

My only concern is that he is not the sort of striker city really needs - our priority is a target man who can bring the rest of the team into the game - any hope that he is a Huckerby replacement is simply a comparison too far - if he is that good then he would be at a premier club already...

OTBC

Well done City-once again settling for the option that won''t rock the boat!!

This lad may be a very good player..

By why do we as fans always have to have our hopes dashed and we must always have to settle for second best!!

Come on the board give us all what we crave for once!!

exactly rebel

come on, he may be good at division three level, but so would most of you guys on this board

this is just stupid, we need nigel and the board to put all their energies into securing hucks and crouch

not spending time on someone who is unlikely to make the grade in division one, as someone said, if he were that good, rangers would have sent him somewhere else, sorry scunthorpe, but 24 goals for you is not what we are aiming for

for god''s sake board, act now or we will be in this division forever!!

You can''t immediately dismiss someone from a lower division as not being a good enough player fopr this divsion. look at Scott Fitzgerald at Watford, he was signed from a non league team, and he''s already notched up 7 goals this season.

Rangers obviously saw some talent in Maclean, or they would not have offered him a contract in the first place.

He got a hat trick on Saturday against Cambridge, his third treble of the season, and all his goals were from 2 yards out. He appears to be a real goal-poacher, someone who finds himself in the right position at the right time. If the price is right, then I reckon he''s worth a try.

Calm down, everybody, and save your energy: NW has said MacLean isn''t even on the short list. Down slam the board before they''ve even done anything wrong!

no disrespect to maclean but i happen to think there is a BIG difference between playing in the 3rd div and the premiership.(cause thats where were gonna be!)
Zamora cut the mustard in the 2nd div but didnt set the world allight in the 1st, yet spurs paid 1.5m for him & whats he done?
Mat janson scored loads of goals for carlisle in div 3 but he dididnt do that well for palace & he aint burning no rubber for blackburn either.

Yeah rangers gave him a contract & h''es 4th choice striker on loan to scunthorpe!

So its a case then of you pay your money & you take your chance....I would rather pay the money on Huckerby than take the chance.

We have gone that route in the past with: libra, neilson, dalgliesh....etc

SIGN HUCKERBY! YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!

I might be shot down for saying this but I reckon Steven MacLean is worth a look. Obviously I would want Huckers more than any other striker, but I can''t see this bloke being another Abbey or Dalgliesh. Any player who can get on the books at Rangers has got to be half decent other wise he wouldn''t even get a look.

Also, I know he''s only playing in the 3rd at the mo, but he''s scoring a hell of a lot of goals, including a hat trick at the weekend. Every player has to start somewhere, even Huckers started in the lower divisions before making a move to a big club.

If we didn''t get Huckerby it would obviously be one of the biggest disappointments of our recent history, but let''s not dismiss a player who, although we don''t know much about clearly has considerable talent

maclean may be doing the business at scunthorpe, but that is a million miles from division one and where we want to be aiming for. Worthy may or may not be interested, i am sure he has learnt his lesson in publicising his intentions in the press, which is why none of us have a clue what is going on, good or bad.

He maybe looking elsewhere for a replacement for crouch or hucks, but i think not, he has got this far, why would he want to step back and trawl the lower leagues for a quick fix. Sometimes it works (drury) but mostly it does not (abbey). Worthy knows who he wants and that is the player he has been quoted as saying "he is the best i have ever worked with"

He is not going to give up hucks without a fight; extending crouch''s loan is a good deal easier, but just as much part of his game plan. If hucks really wants to stay here, he will. And he does.

Remember Ian Wright? Remember Stuart Pearce? Remember Dion Dublin?

All non-league players who went on to play for England. The Premiership doesn''t have the monopoly on young talent. If we can''t get Huckerby then let''s try young talent. He''s obviously ambitious (i.e. saying he won''t go back to Rangers unless it''s for the first team) and has talent a plenty at a lower level.

Craig

Scunthorpe fan here......

Craig is spot on.

If we had had Huckerby on loan here before you had him, would you have written him off as third division?!?!?

Remember Steve Maclean is not a 3rd division player and will not be, until he is about 38 as we have no chance of keeping him. With all respect, neither have you.

Steve Maclean has title medals and played several games for Rangers, so you could argue he IS premiership talent (albeit Scottish). He should certainly not be playing in Div 3 that is for sure. 17 goals in 17 starts is as good as you could expect from anybody. He is head and shoulders above anybody at this level, but please feel free to overlook him as we want to keep him until the end of the season.

UP THE IRON

I''ve heard that if we don''t get Huckers (which is very likely) we''ll get MacLean. Obviously anybody after Hucks will be a disappointment but I say give this lad a go. I know he''s only playing in the 3rd but he''s scoring for fun. I don''t believe that if he made the transition up to the 1st he wouldn''t score any goals. He''s on the books of Rangers for goodness sake. They wouldn''t have signed him if they didn''t think he had talent.

If we don''t get Hucks GET MACLEAN!!

got to agree with that.. Rangers are no mugs.. and there has been many many players come through the lower divisions and make it. The trouble today it isn''t done that much becoz we have flooded our game with too many imports. Not knocking all of them but some really sub standard ones have been brought over and expected an easy ride for their high priced contracts... I wonder how many good home grown prospects have given up because they can''t get a break with a club