Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

In Denial!

[quote user="C.T "]I havent been corrupted. Its called waking up and realising where our once great club is heading.

Unlike wiz i dont blame Roeder at all, I do blame Delia
[/quote]

Our once great club? We are a provincial club who took 70 years to even reach the pinnacle of English football. For 20 years we went back and forth between the top 2 divisions. Now for the last 10 - 12 years we have had one year in the top flight.

We have appeared in the League Cup Final 3 times (winning twice)

We have never appeared in an FA Cup Final (3 semis at most)

We had one season in Europe, admittedly could have been more if it had not been for Heysel.

Its hardly a massive record of achievement compared to many others.

However we are a proud well supported club, who deserve better and more respect from the people who run this club, but to call it a once great club imo is an exaggeration.

We can all see the problems, Roeder sees the problems, we need a striker and quick!

Ok then Chunky we are a small little club who deserve nothing better than what we''re getting at the moment.We should not have as many fans as we do because we have no history and so dont deserve them.We should all follow Ipsw*** who have a wonderful history and a wonderful owner who has the interests of the club at heart.FFS some people...

[quote user="Chunky"]

We can all see the problems, Roeder sees the problems, we need a striker and quick!

[/quote]

I somewhat disagree Chunky.

Yes, agreed on striker, but don''t for one second think that our defence is sorted..........because it ruddy well isn''t!.

That is not what I said. I agree we deserve better, however to class as a great club is an exaggeration imo! Ipswich are not a great club with a wonderful history, however there is no denying however much it sticks in the throat they have one more than us, although not enough to be a great club.

1st Wiz I hear what you are saying re the defence, but how much of their lapses are due to the fact we are not scoring. They know 1 slip will lose us the game when we fail to score and thus creates pressure on the back 4

The defence IF they all stay fit, can be equal to most in this league, if you use the two young fullbacks.

No creative central midfield player, at present made up mostly of "stop them what the hell do I do next" types.

Non existant strikers (at present) JC was never good enough when he was here originally and was bought as a panic buy after one decent season.

Lupoli, the jury must be out as a wait and see, OJ new to everything and we are the test bed for Harry.

Two (we hope) decent wide men in Hool and Bell (when fit)

So we need one/two decent strikers and still a creative central midfielder, even a chiken that still has it''s head would help.

Yes we should all be worried about the direction of the club, freewheeling to disaster. At present GR has put a brick under one wheel but without major repairs that wont last.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Who are?

Most of this message board for starters although there is an increase in those fans who are now starting to wake up at last!

Anyone who really believed that Lupoi and the Pompey kiddie could be our new strike force are now having their eyes opened to a very harsh reality. Luppoli''s last 3 year scoring record is appalling for a striker, and the less said about the kid the better!.

This is what happens when you try and do things on the cheap.

I also include Bell, Stef, Kennedy in fact all of GR''s mediocre signings so far, and I''m convinced this side will get relegated. Hoolihan, whilst he''s good is no Hucks.

We cannot score and we still cannot defend. Yes, we have different players from Grants side, but we still have the same old problems.

Failure to accept this, or hide it away under the ''I''m a loyal supporter so it doesn''t matter what happens'' banner is failure in your supporter responsibility to the long term, well being of our club.

In other words your blind faith and constant denial could well kill this club stone cold dead!

[/quote]All right Wiz, I''m going to try and take this seriously, since you clearly mean it. I haven''t seen a game yet this season, so clearly I don''t have much to go on as far as the new signings are concerned, but:Defence: it seems that Kennedy and Stefanovic are going to be first choice ahead of Shackell and Doherty, and Bertrand and Ozusumi are ahead of Drury and Semmy. Which would suggest that either Roeder''s judgment is up the spout or our defence will be stronger than last season. There are obviously doubts over Kennedy''s fitness and Stefanovic''s age, but they both have an impressive pedigree, so it seems fair to assume that after a few games together (neither played last night), they should be a decent pairing. We know Bertrand is outstanding, so if Ozusumi is better than Otsemobor, then we will have a pretty decent back four.Midfield: All comments on Hoolahan suggest that he is a very good player, giving us the creativity we have been lacking. Darel Russell has played in solid, mid-table Championship sides for years, and currently can''t get in our 1st team, which suggests that Clingan is a decent player. I know many don''t, but I rate Fozzy, though there is some doubt that he and Clingan will work well together if  neither of them really want to push on. We obviously haven''t seen Bell yet, but I would still suggest that this year''s midfield is a lot stronger than last year''s, certainly in terms of depth.Attack: this is obviously where the problems are. We desperately need a BMUF. We all know this, Roeder knows it, I imagine Delia knows it. It is the great unknown. If Roeder can sign Ameobi or Iversen, I reckon our first team will look pretty good. If we get to the end of the transfer window and we are left with no one or some Peter Thorne-a-like, then we are in trouble.In summary, this year''s squad looks a lot better to me than the one that finished last season. They will take time to gel, and I''m certainly not going to panic over a couple of defeats. I reckon we''ll finish mid table, a task that will be a lot easier with a target man.otbc

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Who are?

Most of this message board for starters although there is an increase in those fans who are now starting to wake up at last!

Anyone who really believed that Lupoi and the Pompey kiddie could be our new strike force are now having their eyes opened to a very harsh reality. Luppoli''s last 3 year scoring record is appalling for a striker, and the less said about the kid the better!.

I also include Bell, Stef, Kennedy in fact all of GR''s mediocre signings so far, and I''m convinced this side will get relegated. Hoolihan, whilst he''s good is no Hucks.

We cannot score and we still cannot defend. Yes, we have different players from Grants side, but we still have the same old problems.

Failure to accept this, or hide it away under the ''I''m a loyal supporter so it doesn''t matter what happens'' banner is failure in your supporter responsibility to the long term, well being of our club.

In other words your blind faith and constant denial could well kill this club stone cold dead!

[/quote]

All right Wiz, I''m going to try and take this seriously, since you clearly mean it. I haven''t seen a game yet this season, so clearly I don''t have much to go on as far as the new signings are concerned, but:

Defence: it seems that Kennedy and Stefanovic are going to be first choice ahead of Shackell and Doherty, and Bertrand and Ozusumi are ahead of Drury and Semmy. Which would suggest that either Roeder''s judgment is up the spout or our defence will be stronger than last season. There are obviously doubts over Kennedy''s fitness and Stefanovic''s age, but they both have an impressive pedigree, so it seems fair to assume that after a few games together (neither played last night), they should be a decent pairing. We know Bertrand is outstanding, so if Ozusumi is better than Otsemobor, then we will have a pretty decent back four.

Midfield: All comments on Hoolahan suggest that he is a very good player, giving us the creativity we have been lacking. Darel Russell has played in solid, mid-table Championship sides for years, and currently can''t get in our 1st team, which suggests that Clingan is a decent player. I know many don''t, but I rate Fozzy, though there is some doubt that he and Clingan will work well together if  neither of them really want to push on. We obviously haven''t seen Bell yet, but I would still suggest that this year''s midfield is a lot stronger than last year''s, certainly in terms of depth.

Attack: this is obviously where the problems are. We desperately need a BMUF. We all know this, Roeder knows it, I imagine Delia knows it. It is the great unknown. If Roeder can sign Ameobi or Iversen, I reckon our first team will look pretty good. If we get to the end of the transfer window and we are left with no one or some Peter Thorne-a-like, then we are in trouble.

In summary, this year''s squad looks a lot better to me than the one that finished last season. They will take time to gel, and I''m certainly not going to panic over a couple of defeats. I reckon we''ll finish mid table, a task that will be a lot easier with a target man.
otbc

[/quote]

Very good post there Robert, can''t really add anymore to that to be honest, but I have one question.

What the hell is a BMUF?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Do you want me to tell you, or do you want a little more time to work it out?
[/quote]

There''s no need for the sarcasm, it was a genuine question. I knew it had something to do with a target man obviously, I''m not totally ignorant thank you.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I genuinely wasn''t being sarcastic, sorry if it came across that way.
[/quote]

Apology accepted [Y]

It could also mean Big Mark Up Front I s''pose [;)] [:D]

Who are?

[/quote]

All right Wiz, I''m going to try and take this seriously, since you clearly mean it. I haven''t seen a game yet this season, so clearly I don''t have much to go on as far as the new signings are concerned, but:

Defence: it seems that Kennedy and Stefanovic are going to be first choice ahead of Shackell and Doherty, and Bertrand and Ozusumi are ahead of Drury and Semmy. Which would suggest that either Roeder''s judgment is up the spout or our defence will be stronger than last season. There are obviously doubts over Kennedy''s fitness and Stefanovic''s age, but they both have an impressive pedigree, so it seems fair to assume that after a few games together (neither played last night), they should be a decent pairing. We know Bertrand is outstanding, so if Ozusumi is better than Otsemobor, then we will have a pretty decent back four.

Midfield: All comments on Hoolahan suggest that he is a very good player, giving us the creativity we have been lacking. Darel Russell has played in solid, mid-table Championship sides for years, and currently can''t get in our 1st team, which suggests that Clingan is a decent player. I know many don''t, but I rate Fozzy, though there is some doubt that he and Clingan will work well together if  neither of them really want to push on. We obviously haven''t seen Bell yet, but I would still suggest that this year''s midfield is a lot stronger than last year''s, certainly in terms of depth.

Attack: this is obviously where the problems are. We desperately need a BMUF. We all know this, Roeder knows it, I imagine Delia knows it. It is the great unknown. If Roeder can sign Ameobi or Iversen, I reckon our first team will look pretty good. If we get to the end of the transfer window and we are left with no one or some Peter Thorne-a-like, then we are in trouble.

In summary, this year''s squad looks a lot better to me than the one that finished last season. They will take time to gel, and I''m certainly not going to panic over a couple of defeats. I reckon we''ll finish mid table, a task that will be a lot easier with a target man.
otbc

[/quote]

Good post, of a similar vein to mine on page 1 lol.  I agree with what you are saying and I was at Coventry.  Thing is you wont get a precise reply from Wiz et al to your post, he prefers to reply to silly little things rather than the main issue he raised in the first place!!

I am disappointed to see CT fall quite so far over to the dark side [st]

[quote user="C.T "][IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/rtzwbl.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

May not agree over the size of the club C.T but that last post made me laugh!

"We cannot score and we still cannot defend. Yes, we have different players from Grants side, but we still have the same old problems."

yes and you are one of them wiz moan moan moan.2 games in and i bet you are so happy.

did you go to coventry did you go to mk dons ?

Who are?

[/quote]

otbc

[/quote]

This is an excellent summary in my opinion. I think our defensive situation is potentially the healthiest it has been for years but an immense amount depends upon us signing a striker who can prove to be a physical presence in holding the ball up and weighing in with a decent goal tally.

I''m looking forward to Saturday and getting to see these players for myself.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

did you go to coventry did you go to mk dons ?

[/quote]

I didn''t have to go to those games to make a judgement that we still can''t score or defend...............the results do my talking for me........and thats what this thread is all about, denial...........yours included! [:|]

Dearest Wizard you seem to have overlooked my post so I''ll pop some of it here for you to look at.

But dear old Wiz you are also in denial are you not.

How many did your beloved JC score in these last 2 games? Let me tell you Wiz old chum as I know you never attend a game.......wait for it............NONE!!!NIL!!!!NADA!!!!!ZILCH. Not bad for our main striker.

So before we start rubbishing the new guys lets have a little balance and throw some established ones into the wizards cauldrom as well.

[quote user="IncH HigH"]

Dearest Wizard you seem to have overlooked my post so I''ll pop some of it here for you to look at.

How many did your beloved JC score in these last 2 games? Let me tell you Wiz old chum as I know you never attend a game.......wait for it............NONE!!!NIL!!!!NADA!!!!!ZILCH. Not bad for our main striker.

So before we start rubbishing the new guys lets have a little balance and throw some established ones into the wizards cauldrom as well.

[/quote]

As Curo only played a part of the MK game Inch High, its unfair to judge him over two games, Lupoli and the Pompey kiddies goals were outstanding though weren''t they?[:S]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="IncH HigH"]

[/quote]

As Curo only played a part of the MK game Inch High, its unfair to judge him over two games, Lupoli and the Pompey kiddies goals were outstanding though weren''t they?[:S]

[/quote]

And of course Wiz my old wise chum he was prolific last season.

I'' not going to judge any of our new signings yet but if Wiz''s opinion on them becomes reality i fear he will be proven right again about supporters in denial and i feel that this will do more harm than any other aspect of our club. For to long people have used the ''give things time'' excuse.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

well done wiz you have just pointed the problem out YOU DONT GO TO GAMES.

[/quote]

Spot on King of Latvia.  It''s amazing how many posters on here can slate players when they have never seen them play - true supporters of the highest order, eh? I have been on holiday for the past 2 weeks, so haven''t seen any of the new players yet, but believe me I will give them the benefit of the doubt before making any negative judgements.