Sign in to follow this  
Foghorn

Mr Poll - you got it wrong

Although I doubt whether it would have changed the result, because Arsenal always looked as though they had something in reserve, Lauren should have been sent off.

I''ve read Graham Poll''s explanation, and it just doesn''t hold water.

He said that he failed to hear the buzzer signal from the linesman''s flag, because the guy dropped it when the first foul took place on the centre circle. However, the referee is not obliged to stop play just because the linesman signals, and it was obvious that Hucks had got past Lauren, so in effect, the referee allowed an advantage. Lauren didn''t stop playing because he saw the linesman''s signal, and nor did any of the other Arsenal players, so when the referee eventually blew up it was for the second foul, when Lauren was clearly the last man and Hucks would have been clean through one on one with the keeper.

It was only when the idiot on the line ran back towards the half-way line that Poll even realised that anything other than the second foul had happened. He was right to consult the linesman, just in case he was indicating for foul on Lauren by Hucks, but when he realised there were two fouls on Hucks, but that he''d let play go on, he should have stuck to his guns, given the free-kick just outside the penalty area, and sent Lauren off.

Even given the first foul stood, with Huckerby''s pace he would have been on a clear run through the middle. None of the other Arsenal defenders were in a position to cut him off, so it was still a "last man" situation, and a goal scoring opportunity (after all, it does only have to be an opportunity, not a cast iron certainty).

One thing hasn''t changed since we got promoted - the referees are still cr*p.

he didnt whistle untill the second foul, which to me indercates he is giving a free kick because of the second foul not the first.........

As you sau it was a last man situation and should have been a straight red without any checking with the linesman or anything. MR POLL IS A DISCRACE TO THE F.A.

who are they..............

i might

we should do a big pertition to get him sacked or something

He played on, he overruled his linesman for the first. Now if you play on, you bring play back for a foul if an advantage is not gained. However, the advantage was gained as hucks was in on goal. Then the second foul happened. Why go back to the previous foul Mr Poll, why not go back to the last goal kick, or even right back to the kick off because you didn''t like that?

Truth is, he ran over to his lino, then realised he would have to send an Arsenal player off, was worried about Mr Wenger shouted at him, totally bottled it, and contrived a situation with his lino to get him off the hook.

The trouble Mr Poll is that Norwich will now establish themselves as a premierleague club and you will be booed at every opportunity for blatant cheating. Arsenal are a class apart, they dont need apologists like you to give them a bad name and to pss off opposition fans.

Credit to Worthy for keeping his cool on this one.

Totally agree Foghorn.

To compound this most blatant error though he also missed the hand ball in the box by young Hoyte towards the end of first half which he gave as a corner kick, when replays clearly showed that he moved his shoulder and arm downwards to trap the ball and then to not send Lauren off for a second bookable offence towards the end for going straight through Leon clearly demonstrates that he is out of his depth and the FA need to look at themselves and his performance and take the most appropriate course of action.

Lets face it, he bottled the decision... he knows he messed up and is covering his back by saying that the linesman messed up...

A poor craftsman will invariably blame his tools for any mishaps, a la Graham Poll. Worthers on the other hand took the decision on the chin and is not dwelling on it, which I think we should do to...

The Arsenal game has been and gone, was a rather tasty spectacular and we lost to a superior team, lets let the drama end there...

I''m not going to comment on the Hucks/Lauren incident because everyone''s said everything there is to say about it.

I did see the hand ball incident clearly though and it was a definate cast-iron penalty.

Exactly, Foghorn, exactly.

Andy D''Urso admitted his error over Barry Ferguson in his match report. He has been suspended for 28 days for ''failing to apply the laws of the game ''.

What did Poll put in his match report? If he reported the facts, he should be sanctioned like D''Urso for failing to apply the laws of the game- innocent confusion can happen to the best of us. If he tried to spin doctor the incident as he did after the match, the FA should conduct a serious investigation starting with establishing motive.

Seems like one law for the rich, and another law for the poor to me.

I read somewhere that Sky has something like 22 TV camers covering each of their live matches, so there should be no shortage of evidence. The multitude of reporters and pundits also seem to have a fairly unanimous view on the matter.

OTBC

The Premier League have banned Andy D''Urso after he failed to send off Ferguson when he got a second yellow card. If the club make a complaint about Poll then the PL may do something about him too- perhaps not banning as it was not as balatant an error but still take some form of disciplinary action. I doubt that fans'' messages will make a difference though. We should urge Delia, Donkeycaster etc to do that.

Personally I think it would have made a difference. They were 1-0 up and may not have scored those other two goals so quickly. Their defence was already a second string and with Hux and later Leon running at them I think we could have put more pressure on earlier.

Hard enough to get a point out of Arsenal at the best of times let alone when your forwards do not get the benefit of the rules.

I''m not sure what the away equivalent of a homer is, but Poll was one that day.

thats 3 penaltys we could''ve had then?????

1. first half huckerby brought down after running into a player - obstruction.
2. Huckerby brought down, it was at barclay end so i couldnt see as im in the river end - resulted in goal kick.
3. second half penalty we had - huckerby brought down.
4 then your one??????

Mr Poll contrived the situation so that it became open to his judgement rather than a clear cut decision, now to come to that conclusion it is necessary to study the facts:-
Are the offenders Man.Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool ?
If yes then.........

"I read somewhere that Sky has something like 22 TV camers covering each of their live matches, so there should be no shortage of evidence. The multitude of reporters and pundits also seem to have a fairly unanimous view on the matter"

Unfortunately Bly, I have the tape of the coverage and they host says they have checked and there is no camera angle that covers the linesman. On the view from the top of the jarrold stand the linseman just runs out of shot at the bottom of the screen when Huckerby is hauled down..

Doh..

I dont know what the FA use in relation to third party evidence (ie reporters) where there is no TV coverage, and I would guess they only look into it if theres a complaint (and probably if its from the club)

I have written to the FA to complain basically saying that if D''urso can be suspended for his innocent mistake then surely the same must apply to Graham Poll and also saying how his unbelieveably arrogant explanation does little for the credibility of referees or to dispel the notion that they favout the bigger clubs. Don''t have much hope of them taking notice though.

In any case though since when did this "2 stage" foul come in to play. If you look at it it is clearly one incident form start to finish. Hucks runs past Lauren, there is a bit of grappling, he then grabs his shoulder which brings him down. One continuous incident. If his linesman did signal then he should have ignored it because we had a clear advantage and played on. He bottled it and what makes it worse is to see his pompous explanation along with the way he then proceeded to stroll around the pitch laughing and joking with the Arsenal players as if they were his best mates. This is a ref who has got too big for his boots.