Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Things most missed at Football.......

I sat at work thinking of going to matches from yester year and god its changed alot. What things do people miss the most? Is it standing in the Barclay? Players being allowed to tackle? The "sweet,chocolate, toffee''s, hot drinks" man who used to walked around the pitch?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

I sat at work thinking of going to matches from yester year and god its changed alot. What things do people miss the most? Is it standing in the Barclay? Players being allowed to tackle? The "sweet,chocolate, toffee''s, hot drinks" man who used to walked around the pitch?

[/quote]

You are right it''s changed an awful lot and not always for the good.

I miss standing in the Barclay more than anything you have mentioned, and second on my list is players not being able to tackle, it''s making the sport into a non-contact sport, also it''s making the players into nancy''s, the slightest knock or graze and they are rolling around like they had been shot lol.

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes the man who used to come round with his drinks and sweets, blimey good memories [:D]

Definately standing in the Barclay, I would never have transfered to the N&P if you were still able to get the atmosphere we used to get in the old days.

I remember the sit in after the last game of the old barclay when the Arsenal fans came to join us to mourn its passing.

I also remember nearly being arrested at the first game in the new barclay for standing despite being in the very back row of the bottom tier.

I used to stand in the barclay from about the age of 10 and stood in the same place for years getting to know the people who regulary stood around me, whilst I chat with the odd person in front or behind me these days its not the same.

There really is no reason not to have limited properly managed terracing to bring back the atmosphere but it will never happen.

I guess its probably better to be too young to remember it than to miss it so.

A darn sight warmer on a cold day too !

Definitely terracing, hate having to sit in the same place during the game, loved being able to move around and chat to all my mates, and going mental when a goal went in was much more fun, didn''t have to worry about bashing your shins on the seats.

A fun and friendly atmosphere?

Seriously though, I think a lot is missing from modern football -

passion, excitement, and the aforementioned "level playing field" and

"tackling"... Sad really...

Crook, Bowen, Drinkell, Fleck, Fox, Gordon, Polston, Culverhouse, Phelan, Sutton etc etc. Slick passing football (more often than not...)

Clearly, I''m stuck in the late 80s/early 90s!

Terracing and the sweet tray man definitely.

But the biggest thing for me is lack of TV coverage and Bosman (ie two things that didn''t exist in the "old" days). Why? Well to me those two factors have contributed to this huge gulf in wealth, in player power where the money drains away damaging the grass roots, in loan players and general lack of team stability and a general media obsession with the Premier league only. Its taken the charm out of football, in my opinion.

Banter with away fans that did not include 4 letter words and threats.

Mixing with visiting fans all mixed in in the ground.

Standing at the back of the barclay when 30,000 plus fans packed in.

The tin hut pi** house at the back of the stand and trying not to let someone soak your leg!

The old fans who walked round the ground before matches, The dumpling,canary etc All probably long gone.

Taking a flask of coffee for a hot halftime drink (usually laced with a drop of grandmothers home made)

But most of all the feeling that YOU were part of the Club and the players cared about the club

The two gents who walked around with that board with the ''Goolden Ghoul time'' - They looked in their 90''s but come rain, snow, hail or sunshine, round they would go.

[quote user="AndyJR"]The two gents who walked around with that board with the ''Goolden Ghoul time'' - They looked in their 90''s but come rain, snow, hail or sunshine, round they would go.
[/quote]

They were brilliant! The board looked quite heavy! A couple of things spring to mind with them....once when the board got hit by the ball and the other was the Sutton Utd 8-0.....the poor old boys mustn''t have sat down all game!

[quote user="The Butler"]

The tin hut pi** house at the back of the stand and trying not to let someone soak your leg!

The old fans who walked round the ground before matches, The dumpling,canary etc All probably long gone.

Taking a flask of coffee for a hot halftime drink (usually laced with a drop of grandmothers home made)

But most of all the feeling that YOU were part of the Club and the players cared about the club

[/quote]

Ah the memories, remember the coppers at the back of the Barclay?   How they used to do their best not to laugh at some of the banter between the fans and did their best not to join in with the celebrations when City scored...Remember the grass slope as well - charging down there at the end of a game to avoid the crush on the stairs...

I also miss that little shop just over the bridge - always used to stop there and get a quarter of Sherbert Lemons or Rhubarb and Custards, if Dad was feeling generous that is!!  [:D]

Stanley, who used to climb up the to the roof in the Barclay.

Especially when he tied Ip**** scarves to the fence and set them alight!

Stanley is back, Stanley is back!

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Ah the memories, remember the coppers at the back of the Barclay?   How they used to do their best not to laugh at some of the banter between the fans and did their best not to join in with the celebrations when City scored...

Remember the grass slope as well - charging down there at the end of a game to avoid the crush on the stairs...
[/quote]

Knew most of the coppers one Chang in particular Big with a large black tash. Played football against him many times. Hard but a laugh.

Forgotten about the grass slope and getting mud on your backside if you were in to much of a hurry.

From the 1960s: Ipswich fans standing in front of us in the south stand and yelling "Come on, we''ve paid five bob to watch you lot!" when they were 0-2 down at half time. Much good natured banter. Sadly, I think they ran off 3-5 winners... A ham roll at half time washed down with a Tolley Cobnut brown ale - what more could a sixteen year old want? Hugh Curran fisting the ball into the net for a disallowed goal in the FA Cup at Chelsea - he could so easily have headed it (we lost 1-0). Thus funny little 3 wheelers for the disabled that sometimes caught the full blast of a miscued shot. Programmes that cost 6d - or 2.5p!

From the 1970s: Being told over the tannoy at the evening Burnley game that we had signed a player for a club record fee (David Cross - £40K? from Rochdale). Players like Full Back Clive Payne being played out of position at centre forward as the manager (Ron Saunders) tried to make a point to his Board (GR - please do not emulate). The policeman at the back of the south stand holding the Millwall supporter by the neck against the back of the stand, with the kid''s feet off the ground, and banging his head against the wall with the question "Have you got that son?" everytime the kid tried to assure the copper that he had indeed "got it" - whilst the senior policeman apaprently not seeing what was happening but waving his swagger stick and telling us to move on "or you can join him". Millwall fans generally... Happy days indeed...

I miss those little blue cars by the pitch at the Riverend[au] They were so close to the pitch that I was sure you could get a penalty from a shortsighted ref by tripping over the exhaust[8-|] Colin Suggett must''ve come close to hitting them with some of his inswinging corners!

Has the view from the disabled enclosure ever been so good since?

Are there any posters on here who used to watch games from there?

Cushions being thrown at the players and officials when the inhabitant''s of the Main Stand were not Pleased , or at the end of a game after a bad performance.

Fans placing ballons in the centre circle - only for opposing fans to run on and burst them.

Bernie Paterzalt

Brass bands.

Absence of tinned musac.

Absence of person shouting at you through microphone.

Genuine crowd noise.