Sign in to follow this  
cambscanary

thoughts on the different 'big men'

Ok so here''s my thoughts,

I look and curo and lupo (taking a bit of the end of their names makes me feel like i know them personally) and its obvious that they both need a big fella and we all know that. someone to win the big flick on''s, hold the ball up, put them through etc. With a chap like this up there with them i like to think their goal tally''s will increase significantly. On top of this i''d expect the big fella to get his fair share from corners, free kicks and just run of the mill goals.

This is where my concerns are

Personally i think howard is a shit footballer and ameobi a very good one but i also think in terms of a big fella to do the above job i''d prefer to see howard come in. Howard is a big lump who will win flicks and hold the ball up, he''ll cause a nuisance in the box for free kicks and corners etc and i worry about ameobis ability to do this?? When has he ever scored with his head, can he really hold the ball up?? i don''t really see him in that role too well. i consider him more of a good striker (at this level) but one who will do his own thing more than create things for the other boys?? I wonder if this is really what we need? Yes he is a big man but can he really do the typical big strikers role??

From a football point of view i''d rather see ameobi but from our teams point of view i wonder if howard would better suit??

After this i look quickly at iversen and beckford etc and personally i don''t believe these are on the list. I don''t see iversen as much of a target man and beckford i think is just all wrong for what we need. he''s quick and skillful but he''s certainly no target man. The other one that intrigues me is carroll. poor scoring record for preston but with the right guidance could be a good choice. With his lack of experience i don''t believe it will be him tho!

Anway, this may bore you all but if you have any thoughts then lets hear them.

CambsCanary

I agree with the majority of your points.Jamie and Arturo will NOT win headers this season, we know that. However I''ve never rated Steve Howard, I think he has the first touch of a walrus, and strength is his only asset.Shola Ameobi is a Premiership level footballer at one of the better (sic) clubs in his league.Whatever Newcastle are, Im confident they would sadly give us a beating a la Spurs.Im sure that whether he wins the majority of headers and flicks or not, we would all rather see him at our club than Howard.OTBC.

Great post there, very good points made... However id of thought Rasiak and Jerome are possible targets for Norwich City and should be looked at also... Especially with Rasiak and Southampton lookingbad financially.... Howard would be good but just rather someone with abit ofr athleticism... Ameobi offers that but then again your points questioning his ability to be a tagrte man are 100% spot on, he isn''t that type of player.. I think Iversen could do a good job here but his wage demands and transfer fee would be a concern to me as to how much of a gamble he would be... If i had the choice i think Rasiak fits the bill totally, it must just be me in my own little world because not amny people seem to agree... I think Rasiak is big and strong, he is mobile and not just a big lump whatsoever, he has balls skills to go alongside with it... He can hold the ball up and bring players into play twerribly well and one of the biggest reasons i think he would suit is that he can also score one heck of alot of goals... He last season was at Bolton on loan which shows a glimpse that he has quality even though he didnt get played much... And when he had a proper run out he scored goals for fun.. Both Derby and Southampton... He fits the bill 100% for me and i for one would be over the moon if he was the player that was to be signed.

Good post.

I don''t know that Howard would be better for the team. You''re right in that he''s "someone to win the big flick ons, hold the ball up, put them through etc."

But didn''t we try that with Chris Brown? Chris Brown tried hard, won balls and flicks, and had presence in the box. But, like Howard, wasn''t a good "footballer", and ended up - quite rightly - on the chopping block.

I''m hoping we''re going to try and play better football, and someone like Ameobi, or Iversen would fit the bill.

If Roeder signs Howard - and I have a sneaking suspicion he will - it really makes me wonder why he let Brown go, only to replace him with an older, slower version (presumably on more money too.) Please let me be wrong and we get in someone else (though Howard will be preferable to no-one at all...)

Interesting post with some interesting replies. I think it would be fair to say that rather than picking one over the other, ideally we could do with bringing in both. Both Ameobi and Howard/Iverson/Rasiak etc are a different breed of player and both offer something to the team we dont currently have. The closest thing we have in the Ameobi would probably be Lupoli but he is fairly lightweight.

This is a good point although to be fair Brown was simply shocking.[quote user="Grando"]If Roeder signs Howard - and I have a sneaking suspicion he will - it really makes me wonder why he let Brown go, only to replace him with an older, slower version (presumably on more money too.) Please let me be wrong and we get in someone else (though Howard will be preferable to no-one at all...)[/quote]

I agree that signing Howard doesn''t look like a good signing. Of the people mentioned I''d like to see Rasiak - a big lump who not only knows where the goal is but also knows the Championship and has a proven record in this division. I can see Cureton and Lupoli working well alongside him. If not Rasiak, then Ameobi!

Unfortunately without that big man in place I cannot see us winning any games, it was pretty evident against a poor Colchester side (no offence meant Camu!) that Cureton is out of shape and Lupoli is very lightweight, without someone to boss the front line we will struggle. I don''t know how big OJ is, but I get the feeling that he is more of a technical player than a battering ram!

Im not sure why we need a big guy up front. Im quite sure with a bit of training we could open up Hoolahoops and Bells potential and along with fozzy should be creating chances along the ground. I especially would expect Lupoli to thrive on through balls nipping in behind defences. I dont understand why we need lump up front nod down, wild volley, 5% strike rate. I would much rather play actual football with Stefanovic and any of the other defence getting some goals from set pieces and the like. When was the last time we had contribution from the defence in scoring? Malkey? If anyone did sign as a big man I would like it to be Rasiak. IMHO he is mobile, strong and a good goal taker. Ameobi doesnt look good but may do in the championship, no to Howard thanks, waste of money. Sibierski wouldnt be a bad punt too but wages would be high. To sum up I think pace unlocks championship defences not lump, nod kick routine.

More to it with a target man than just someone to lump it to, look at dion when he played up there, we need a replacement for him, i reckon Ameobi, Sibierski and Rasiak are best suited to the job. Charisteas would be nice! lol!

Iversen.... no no no no no no no please!

Was shocking at spurs and has been out of the english game for too long - i would be extremely disappointed

Ameobi..... no

scoring record is ok, but like the first poster said, he doesnt win that many headers or score many with his head so not the solution to our problems

Howard.... yes

scoring record is ok at this level, got around 15 goals for a couple of seasons, player most like dion (who remember wasnt the most athletic)

will win headers, can score with his head and also can be used as a battering ram when needed

if we sign him, i predict he will get 10 goals next year as well curo and lupoli getting 15 each and oj getting 7

[quote user="I Roeder"]

Maybe the dodgy ham roll i had for lunch!

BUT,

Would the DOC (When Fit!) make a good target man for a quick midfeild & Curo or Arturo to feed off!

[^o)]

[/quote]

did you get the ham from royston vasey?

[quote user="I Roeder"]

Maybe the dodgy ham roll i had for lunch!

BUT,

Would the DOC (When Fit!) make a good target man for a quick midfeild & Curo or Arturo to feed off!

[^o)]

[/quote]make sure the glue contains NO solvents!!!