Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Why has Glenn failed to find a target man?

I''m very disappointed. I thought Glenn would have had a big striker signed on the dotted line by now. I suppose he has until (midnight tonight?) to make a signing if that player is still to be eligible to play tomorrow. Otherwise we have until August the 31st to scour the country for a decent big number nine, by which time four league matches will have come and gone. There''s always Russell I suppose!

Roeder has someone specific in mind who if you actually read the comments was close to signing yesterday. If it takes him a little longer to secure the guy, then fine with me.

He said at the press conference that the club he is buying from is being very difficult and it may take longer to get him. I reckon next week we will defo have a new targetman

To answer the original question...because the game is changing and target men are getting far and few apart. The modern game is seeing so much more emphasis on pace, passing and movement, with less and less teams choosing to lump the ball forward. It is because of this that traditional Dion style target men are a dying breed and hard to come by, as quite simple a) there aren''t many decent ones out there and b) the sides that wish to play that game and have players in the mould to do so won''t let go of them without a fight. Does this make sense?

Excuses, excuses, I''m sorry but he has had since January to get this one key position filled!

We have all read the comments, we all know who he is after so stop with the patronising ''aactually'' pal.Bottom line is unless he signs today then we start the season without a target man.  Inexcusable.[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

Roeder has someone specific in mind who if you actually read the comments was close to signing yesterday. If it takes him a little longer to secure the guy, then fine with me.

[/quote]

Rubbish.  Outside the Premiership the best goal scoring partnerships are a big man holding up and heading a a little guy with pace and skill.  Always have been always will be because the players behind short strikers in the lower divisions dont have the skill to cut teams open like they do in the premier league.

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]To answer the original question...because the game is changing and target men are getting far and few apart. The modern game is seeing so much more emphasis on pace, passing and movement, with less and less teams choosing to lump the ball forward. It is because of this that traditional Dion style target men are a dying breed and hard to come by, as quite simple a) there aren''t many decent ones out there and b) the sides that wish to play that game and have players in the mould to do so won''t let go of them without a fight. Does this make sense?[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]We have all read the comments, we all know who he is after so stop with the patronising ''aactually'' pal.

Bottom line is unless he signs today then we start the season without a target man.  Inexcusable.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[/quote][/quote]

Actually, what''s wrong with the word "actually" then ? You''re not an inverted snob are you ?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

Excuses, excuses, I''m sorry but he has had since January to get this one key position filled!

[/quote]

Circumstances change all the times at clubs. Players that may have looked like being available in Jan and throughout the rest of the season may have then been needed by their clubs over the summer. Roeder may have had players lined up to then be told that he cannot have them any more for a number of different reasons!