Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

Pink'Un Posters Top Norwich Game Of All Time

So here it is, for some to reminisce about the ''good old days'' (especially for Wiz and his band of doubters!), for others to simply bask in the glory of that feeling when you witness something amazing at a football ground.

So what is your ''game of all time''?

I have a few which are difficult to round down to one, the Playoff Final, some of the games in the promotion year, and many others across the years.

I think I am going to have to go for.....

Norwich 4 - 4 Middlesbrough, half the ground left when they scored their 4th, but the ever faithful among us stayed to witness a stunning comeback. What a game!

So there we have it my ''game of all time''!

Think I''d have to go for when we beat the scum 2-0 at Portman Road to go top of the Championship in December 2003! Perfect.

"TOP OF THE LEAGUE AT PORTMAN ROAD!!!"

"HAVE WE F***ED YOUR CHRISTMAS UP?! HAVE WE F***ED YOUR CHRISTMAS UP??!!"

"HE SCORED AGAINST THE SCUM, HE SCORED ANOTHER ONE, MCKENZIE, WOHOAO, MCKENZIE, WOHOAO!!"

Has to be the Manchester Unnited game when we beat them 2-0.  The atmosphere was electric, it was a once in a life time experiance it just showed the passion we have for Norwich, one of the best days of my life.Closly followed by the Boro game which was amazing, never forget that day.And even though we lost the Play Off Final just because it was such a good day and when Iwan Roberts scored in the 101 minute the place erupted

All the games mentioned above were great, but beating Ipswich all those years ago to reach the Milk Cup final is still the No 1 game for me. Living in the Ipswich area at the time just made it all the better.

Some of the football we played in 1992/3 was also wonderful, too many games to choose from.

Stockport at home the season we made the play offs, just for shear drama. I can''t remember the score (we won 2/3-0 I think) but we finished before the Burnley game and we were all listening to each others radios to find out the score. I remember Gazza missing a free kick at teh very end of teh game and everyone cheering [:D] Just for shear drama...

Has to be either:

The home game against Bayern Munich - the club''s high-water mark.

or

The play-off semi-final first leg at home against Wolves - when Malky''s decisive goal went in, the Barclay literally shook below me, and there was the overwhelming sense that after nearly ten years of misery, some good times were around the corner.

(Steve Bruce''s goal against Ipswich was just before my time)

I have to say I''ll never forget Bruce''s header against Ipswich in the Milk Cup semi-final...I was standing in the old Barclay and seemed to be right in line with the ball as it hit the net....can''t ever remember a moment like it at CR

It is a hard choice, but i think i have to go for the 4-4 with boro, i have never left a game early, and if i tried my grandad would pull me back to my seat, so i saw the comeback, with Drury scoring the vital 4 :D

For me it has to be the play off final in 2003 (I think?)  because it was my first ever norwich city game. Even though we lost I was hooked.

A game that equals the play off final very closely has to be the 3-1 against the scum. The day Hucks became a legend (IMO) especially after his 3rd then running off to the corner flag between the Jarrold and the N and P and showing us a MASSIVE toothy grin. [:)]

Good times. Come on Glenn give us plenty more [Y]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

The play-off semi-final first leg at home against Wolves - when Malky''s decisive goal went in, the Barclay literally shook below me, and there was the overwhelming sense that after nearly ten years of misery, some good times were around the corner.

[/quote]

Amen to that. I went totally cocking mental. I think I actually ripped the person standing next to me in half. He understood.

I also have fond memories of the 8-0 against Sutton United - not for anything especially electric in the atmosphere, but more for the sense that this was a proper, old-fashioned cup tie. And everyone behaved perfectly. It was a good time, even for the Sutton fans...

The best Norwich game i''ve been to was Rotherham 4 Norwich 4 during the championship winning season. It had everything, half time brawl, sending off, dodgy penalty, last minute goal!!

for me has to be the Milk Cup semi - I remember that night and the hairs on the back of neck stand up - also the West Ham and Southampton 6th round cup replays were special nights - shame the semis were so bad

[quote user="The Walking Man"]Stockport at home the season we made the

play offs, just for shear drama. I can''t remember the score (we won

2/3-0 I think) but we finished before the Burnley game and we were all

listening to each others radios to find out the score. I remember Gazza

missing a free kick at teh very end of teh game and everyone cheering

[:D] Just for shear drama...[/quote]

I''d forgotten all about that game til I read this, what a game it was!

The tension was tangible, I believe it was 3-0 with Malky, Mulryne and

McVeigh scoring and their keeper being sent off in something like the

4th minute! And some strange fat bloke slaughtering Jerusalem before the game started...

Other than that, its got to be the classic 4-4 against Boro and the 2-0 against Manure [:)]

Has to be the Milk Cup semi...when Bruce''s goal was scored I don''t think I''ve ever heard so much noise at Carrow Road...even at the Bayern game.   Anyone remember how the sponsors (Milk Marketing Board as it was then) idea of handing out free yoghurt pots & cartons of milk backfired as that little sh*t Eric Gates was pelted with them any time he came near the Barclay or the River End?!!!Also remember a mate taping the game off Radio Norfolk and Uncle Roy nearly having a seizure when Bruce scored!!!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]All the games mentioned above were great, but beating Ipswich all those years ago to reach the Milk Cup final is still the No 1 game for me. Living in the Ipswich area at the time just made it all the better. Some of the football we played in 1992/3 was also wonderful, too many games to choose from.[/quote]

Ditto, absolutely bloody ditto Gazza, the look on the filths supporters faces when we won was worth the admisson price alone!!.[:D]

City 3 Liverpool 5 - we match the best team in Europe for 70 odd minutes and scored goal of the season. In those days much of the ground was mixed and the River End was packed with Reds but even they were jumping up and down and cheering when Fashanu scored to make it 3-3.

the 4-4 draw with Boro for me. My dad wanted to leave, my brother wanted to leave. Something inside me told me it would be stupid to leave. And I was proved right. Brilliant come back

[quote user="Welsh NorwichFan"]

The best Norwich game i''ve been to was Rotherham 4 Norwich 4 during the championship winning season. It had everything, half time brawl, sending off, dodgy penalty, last minute goal!!

[/quote]

I was just thinking about that one! What a fantastic game - sitting in that ancient stand with the tin roof! Awesome! 

I tend to find watching games in tinpot grounds like that far more enjoyable than being sat in the new ''identikit'' stadiums around!  

4-4 with Boro, I satyed after all my mates left, god how i rubbed their noses in ot when i got back to the pub.

2-0 vs Manure the same year.

5-0 vs walsall the championship season.

5-0 vs swindon, followed the next week by 5-0 vs huddersfield (about 1999 i think)

3-2 away at luton the season before last,

Playoff final, Playoff semi at home, 4-3 defeat to port vale at carra, just because it was hilarious to see a guy jump out of the Snakepit, run half the length of the pitch and throw his shirt at Bruce Rioch.

2-1 vs newcastle when Safri scored from a mile out.

Loads and loads of amazing memories.

1-0 away  win at Maine Road (Adrian Coote scored the winner and he now works for the same company i do! I worked with him last week!!!!)

That 3-2 against Luton was superb but for me the Man United game will take some beating!!!

Also the home game against Southampton during the 1988/89 season, it may not have been a classic but it was my first Norwich game!!!

Good thread, this. The Ipswich semi-final is definitely the one game in City''s history that I really wish I''d been at.One from early in my city supporting career is the 2-1 win over Liverpool in (I think) 1987. Rush gave Liverpool the lead, and they''d never lost a league game in which he''d scored. Putney equalised for Norwich and Drinkell scored the winner with about three minutes to go. All the stewards had gathered behind the River End goal. Ken Brown went nuts. Great day.For sheer disbelief the 4-0 at Elland Road was pretty special. I remember catching the eye of a stranger coming out of the ground at the end, and us both looking at each other in shock, thinking "how did that happen"A personal choice would be a run-of-the-mill league win at Bramall Lane, the Saturday after the Munich game. We''d just been paired with Inter in the draw, and the atmosphere on the terraces was wonderful. I spent most of the game under a colossal yellow and green flag. Mike Walker''s Green army was sung for the whole game, only interrupted when we scored.I''ll remember little Jamie''s equaliser against Ipswich for quite a long time, as well.Let''s have some more.

5th February 1967 FA Cup 4th round

Man U 1 - 2 City

Lol Morgan''s nobodies v. Bobby Charlton, George Best, Denis Law, Nobby Stiles, Paddy Crerand & Co who won the European Cup the following year.

65,000 packed in all standing.  Prawn sandwiches hadn''t even been invented.

I was 15, it was my first ever away game and I don''t think anything will ever top it, even Bayern Munich.

Still have to pinch myself.

The 2-0 win at portman road and the play off final are two of the best away games i have ever been to amazing days. also the last home game of the season when we found out we got the the play offs then the first leg agaisnt wolves. Great Times. Great Crowd such an amazing atmos.

Some fantastic memories here of good times which we are unliley to see any time soon.

For me it has to be my first ever local derby in the 1996-7 season when Mike Walker had just returned and we were in great form. We were top of the league before the game and the City was buzzing. The atmosphere at the game was electric though and to beat them and stay top (albeit not for long) just made it even more perfect than the 3-1 score line!

Oh and to add icing on the cake, the filthy scummers all missed their train back at Norwich station. Great night.

Has to be Arsenal 2 Norwich 4

I have enjoyed many great games but for me even the Bayern Game doesn''t beat this one.

First game of the Premiership favourites for relegation the sun was shining and we were playing the team that were favourites to win the league. 2-0 down at half time we were not even dissapointed. Enter Mark Robins........ the rest is history !

city 4-4 boro, good olde drury and mckenzie goals helped us!! so funny when it was 80min and we scored our first goal, and the boro fans were celebrating our goal!!city 2 0 man utd, awesome match!!! EASY EASY!! Man utd had ronaldo, van nistlerooy, rooney, saha all on and they still couldnt score past us!Also, scum 0 2 city!!! MCKENZIE woah!!! MCKENZIE woah!!! he scored against the scum

I''m going to go for a game that had a great effect on us for a time, heres a snippet of a report..........''Burnley suffered last-day heartbreak after missing out on a play-off spot by the narrowest possible margin on goal difference.

Gareth Taylor''s second-half strike

proved insufficient to keep a side who led the table at the start of the year, in the play-off places.

And a late substitute appearance by Paul Gascoigne could mark his farewell to English football.

Stan Ternent''s men had to equal or better Norwich''s result against Stockport.

The Canaries'' 2-0 victory leapfrogged them into sixth position and the last

precious play-off spot by one goal.''

I was in the Murderers watching our game,the whistle went and we won the game, but the Turf Moor game was still on and Burnley had Gazza on.  Someone had a little radio so we all gathered round it, to listen to Gazza missing two free kicks in as many minutes!!!

I know we went on to miss out that year but the atmosphere in the Murderers gathered round that little radio will always stay with me as a brilliant memory!

Happy days.   [:D]

I can''t really add to anything said here, except to say that I can still see Bruces'' Header when I close my eyes and think of it. 

Norwich 4 Southampton 4 [1989?] - Rosario goal of the season, 4-2 down at one point, great game.

Arsenal 2 Norwich 4 [1992] - we were favourites for relegation, Arsenal favourites for title. 2-0 down at half-time, it looked dead set to be a thumping. Enter Mark Robins, who if I remember we only signed the night before...

Norwich 1 Bayern Munich 1 - after Munich scored early I think I''d bitten nails down to my elbows, then Gossy popped up again and everything went mental. Beautiful.

Milk Cup Final 1985 - my first Norwich match, starting on a high. I remember crying when Sunderland were awarded their late penalty [I was 5 years old] as I thought we''d won it by then, but my main memory is the noise at the end, and the lap of honour.

Chelsea 2 Norwich 3 [1992] - if for nothing else, just watching David Beasant drop two extraordinary clangers.

Norwich 1 Liverpool 1 [1990] - We''d lost something like the previous 5 games, and Liverpool had a 100% record. They scored in the first couple of minutes, then I remember Ruel Fox scoring an absolute belter at the River End. Lee Power made his debut that day, and I remember thinking he was going to be amazing. Shame he didn''t.

Norwich 1 Manchester Utd 0 [1987/88] We had a generally poor season, (only just avoided being relegated) but remember the buzz of beating Man Utd as they finished 2nd or 3rd that season.

Also remember beating Liverpool 3-0 in the last season before the Premier League, and also the FA Cup 6h Round replay against Southampton the same year, which was more like a Gladiator''s bout than a football match. Flecky got kicked to pieces, but we won 2-1 in the end. Great days, all in all.

what about that great game against burnely the season we went up, at turf moor. We won 5-3 and either hucks or svensson got a hatrick i think. Was a great game