kenton--mackay--flrming--drury
rivers--holt--mulryne--easton
-------mcveigh--neilson------

VS

-------------green---------------
edworthy--mackay--fleming--drury
mcveigh--holt--francis--brennan
--huckerby--mckenzie/svensson--

im just thinking those teams off the top of my head, i think there right!

who''s somehow glad we didn''t win the playoff final, at the time i was gutted, but how many of the top team would play in our team now(not the ones who are in both)

the answer=1(kenton)

what does everyone else think??

Evan kenton would struggle to get in past steady eddy who has been good in the 2 games hes played so far.

Thank god (or worthy and board) neilson and easton are gone. But watching sven in a couple of the games, he reminds me of neilson as he seems to be in the headless chivken mould. Lots of running and effort, but nothing to show for it.

Errr, no way!!!

I''m not being racist, but I feel that McKenzie has far more in common with Neilsen - they look identical from the stands, they both run like nutters, and both of their first touches leave a lot to be desired.

However, Leon has the killer ability to get his shot off which David Nielsen had no idea how to do!

Sven is a quality player who had two terrible games at the start of the season. Just leave him to get his form back, cos we''ll need him desperately this season. I had to tell the guy next to me to shut up on Sat when he started flogging Sven - we will NEED him at his best.

please can u tell me how u came to the conclusion that svensson is actually good. he hasn''t got any attributes needed to be a ''quality'' striker. a quality striker is a shearer or a nistelrooy. svensson is not. u just look at him when playing and he''s not a natural footballer. he must only win about 10% of headers from 50/50''s he can''t lay the ball off like we''ve already seen doherty do. he wasn''t in either of the first 2 games, all he could do was watch and run.

im sorry but at best svensson is an average ccc player, and thats why he was well down the pecking order at charlton and only cost £50k. everyone of our strikers has got far more talent than svensson and can really give something to the team. unfortunatley svensson cannot.

(sorry this is a bit off the first discussion but i really want to know how anyone can rate him as ''quality''.)

Hmmm. Where do you draw that opinion from? Two games this season.

Well done.

I am basing my opinion on the performance he gave at the end of last season - when obviously wasn''t "at best an average ccc player" because he WAS PLAYING BRILLIANTLY IN A BRILLIANT CCC TEAM.

How many headers did Henry win on Sat? I could count .... none. In fact, he doesn''t even jump for headers. And who said he was as good as Shearer or RVN?? I certainly didn''t. But then he didn''t cost over 15m pounds.

What I don''t get is how suddenly, from singing his praises last year during his streak of (I think) 7 goals in 11 games that took us to promotion, he''s now rubbish. And worse than that. You can''t even admit that he can do a job for us - now he''s not just playing badly, he''s also pointless. What the hell is that all about?

Svensson is a playmaker - he needs the ball to his feet, and we''ve seen what he can do from there. He''s got good vision, good awareness and tries his hardest. I will admit he''s not playing at all well. I won''t concurr that he is of no use to Norwich at all, because these are the ramblings of those people that play too many computer games and have forgotten what real life is like.

"How many headers did Henry win on Sat? I could count .... none. "

That must have been a different Henry scoring Arsenal''s second goal then.

I think most fans are so disappointed in Svensson''s poor performances BECAUSE he scored a few goals at the end of last season. Not the other way around. Personally I think Svensson benefitted hugely from the 4-3-3 formation last season. Huck''s running with the ball occupied the left side of defences, while McKenzie''s movement drew defender''s out of position in the middle. Svensson was often the spare man at the back post, with time and space to score the goals that helped us get promoted.

In a 4-4-2 against Premiership defences (including Palace) Svensson has looked half the player he was. Notice against Palace and Man Utd how Huckerby got to the touchline, pulled the ball back across the six yard box for a simple tap-in yet no-one was there to provide the finish. Doherty by comparison has made a huge impact for a defender playing up front in an unfamiliar team. Simply by having strength, height and the ability to keep possession. He''s not the answer, but he is a better option than Svensson right now.

Meanwhile I hope Svensson improves in the reserves and comes back a better player to show he can perform at this level.

generationA47, cheers for that, it is a good brewery isn''t it? do you live near it?

everyones kinda going off the thread i posted, you''ve all just been slagging off svensson

i want a result if the play-off team played last years team!

yes he did score 6/7 goals last season but that aint the point. even last year he gave the ball away so many times and won practically nothing in the air.

and why are u comparing him to henry?! henry is a completey different type of player but he can still win headers, like we saw for the 2nd goal. u can compare henry to huckerby, but im not complaining about huckerby not winning headers because thats not his role in the team.

and i didn''t say u were saying he was as good as nistelrooy and shearer. i was making the point that u said svensson is a ''quality'' striker which he clearly isn''t. and i was saying to call someone ''quality'' u expect them to be a shearer or a nistelrooy, thats quality.

and he could do a job for us in div 1 but now its a completely different level, and no, on this stage he''s not good enough to a decent job for us as he''s not a prem player. svensson plays as the target man, and u can clearly see that he cannot do that job because he cannot win headers and hold up the ball. u could see what he hasn''t got so easily when doherty came on against man u, and the games against newcasle and arsenal. doherty has got the right attributes to do this job, and is the best person we have for this role.

and people like lampard, ronaldinho are playmakers, svensson is not. (now im not comparing svensson to them but svensson has never played in a playmaker role like lampard and ronaldinho do.) yes he can run arond trying his hardest, but that isn''t good enough at this level and with prem defenders up against him every week, he will hardly get a touch of the ball for any game.

how much goals would u think he would actually get if he played every minute this season? i would bet he wouldn''t get anymore than 5 or 6.

this is why i believe he is simply not good enough to do a decent job for us that will help to keep us up.

sorry about going off the thread thing mate.

yes, last years team is definitely stronger than the play-off years team. at the time i was also gutted that we didn''t go up but in the long run, i think its best that we went up last year. with that team we would have never of stood a chance of staying up. birmingham were much more ready for the big time than us.

I think "winning" headers differs from letting the ball bounce off your forehead and in because you''ve lost your (two) markers.

I''m not denying he''s playing badly, all I''m saying is what good is writing him off permanently going to do??

We need players, and good ones at that. We''ve seen that Sven can produce the goods at a lower level, and those that are championing Ashton and Harewood - the same rule applies. He needs time and support.

And what you say about him benefiting from being the spare man is devaluing his often critical involvement in the build up. 9 times out of 10 he would send Hucks scampering off down the wing after receiving the ball, and then appear in the box to put the ball in the back of the net.

Jesus.

All I''m saying is - and this applies to all the Sven Knockers - give the guy a chance to prove himself. We will need him more than ever now we are definitely not getting a new striker, and having a player who''s confidence is shot to pieces helps NOBODY.

''I think "winning" headers differs from letting the ball bounce off your forehead and in because you''ve lost your (two) markers.''

could u please explain what u mean by that, because it sounds like you''re critisising henry''s header vs us. please correct me if im wrong because that was a quality goal with a quality finish.

Well you could just ignore everything else that I bothered writing if you want .... oooh! You have! Look, I''m not doubting the finish, here is what I meant -

Did Henry "win" his header? Did he hold off the defender, use his body strength and time his jump perfectly to knock down the ball to his striking partner (like we were referring to with Svensson)?

And here was the answer I came up with -

No. He made a great run, received a great pass and scored a great header. But he''s hardly and aerial threat is he?

Now will you please do me a favour, and read the rest of the stuff I''ve written. We need to support Sven, we nede to cheer when he comes on, or if he starts. We need to make him feel like trying his best. We need him to be happy, because if we have an injury we will need him desperately. And I believe that given the chance he can do a good job for us. Whereas, based on two performances, you have written him off totally.

Oh - and yes, we had a great squad last season, and winning the play-off final scared the living bejeesus out of me. We were much better equipped last season.

but why are u comparing svensson to henry? henry isn''t a target man and his job is to get the ball and create and score goals. its not to do all the hard work and just lay off the ball and win headers. u might have well compared him to pires or ljungburg or reyes. henry''s style of play has got nothing in common to svensson''s style of play so i don''t know why u are using henry as an example. y not someone like alan smith or nistelrooy. that is the type of player we are looking for him to be.

we''ve already got an henry player-huckerby so ur point is completely wrong. come back with another point involving a different striker who has the same job as svensson. and u''ll see that he hasn''t got the same qualities they have which make them ''quality'' strikers because svensson clearly is not in my eyes.

SVENSSON ISN''T A TARGET MAN !!!! , when we play the long ball, he isn''t going to be able to do what Iwan did. If we get some crosses in, or play the ball to his feet he will come good. 2 bad games do not make him a bad player.

Yo Captain Hook, indeed I live & work in Berkshire so quite close (see a previous silly thread about organising orgies there.  Use brewery as midnight venue perhaps).  I used to work for Woodfordes.  Now there''s a fine pint!   Wish you could get it down here.

Result: 2-0 to last year''s team.

I think it would be interesting to compare this year''s Premiership team to a. the relegated one of 94-95 and b. the class one of 92-93.  Any offers?  Like Hook Norton I''m talking hard numbers here!