Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Post your Forum problems here

[quote]Cityangel, I had a problem with the Avatar graphic that I wanted to upload yesterday. I had the same problem that you are seeing, namely, a graphic with a white background came up as a black backgroun...[/quote]

Thanks for trying to help me Morph but if I untick that box this is what I then get as an error message, plus its a very small picture.
Also how has Mr Whizz got that big picture into an avatar when it says size is restricted.

'' Error saving avatar. Dimensions exceeded the permitted 80x80 pixels! Please use the image resizing check box below''

[quote]Thanks for trying to help me Morph but if I untick that box this is what I then get as an error message, plus its a very small picture. Also how has Mr Whizz got that big picture into an avatar when i...[/quote]

We''re going to watch the picture and signature sizes over the next week or so and judge the reaction (no prizes for the best reaction!), but I think if your signature is bigger than your message it distracts from what you''ve written.

If you''re trying to using a GIF and getting a black background, it may also be caused by transparency. Just copy it into a art program and save with no transparency, or if anyone''s having problems with a particular image, send to me and I''ll try and sort it out (although not over the weekend!) - vince.yallop@archant.co.uk

Another query.In the "Forum Settings" I have ticked the box marked "Standard Options - Colorpickers, table editor + all other options" so that emoticons don''t appear on my screen. But they still do appear.Luckily I can use Adblock on Mozilla Firefox to block images out. But I think other people might find emoticons annoying after a while - especially if they can''t turn them off.

[quote]AJ - the 4th pages should now be working properly...[/quote]

danke

[quote]We''re going to watch the picture and signature sizes over the next week or so and judge the reaction (no prizes for the best reaction!), but I think if your signature is bigger than your message it di...[/quote]

Sorry Vince but gif and Art program dont mean anything to me,can you explain it in English to me. All I was doing is pressing browse, selecting one of my pics on my pc and then as I said it comes up with a black background instead of white. Have tried unclicking the size box but that doesnt help. Also I have no smileys! Also how do people get the coloured writing in their signature bit(AJ) Lastly why do I have to keep logging in on every vist?Sorry to be a pain but I''m lost.

Cityangel, when you''re logged in select the "Control Panel" hyperlink at the top of the page and a pop-up menu should appear. From that select the "Forum Settings" option.

At the bottom of the page you are then presented with the type of editor you want to use when posting. Selecting "All Options" will present you with a text formatting bar at the top of the edit window as well as all the "emoticons" down the right hand side.

One of the options on the formatting bar is text colouring. That''s how you can get coloured text.

You need to enable the "All Options" first though. Then go back into Control Panel and select "Message Signature". You should then be able to colour your signature text.

This is my first message on here but I have used the forum for sometime so some of my problems maybe because I have never posted?

1. How come I cannot see the name of the person who posted the message?
  2. I have no control panel or forum options buttons to select and change things.
  3. Can I change my name that appears when I post?

Thanks

[quote]This is my first message on here but I have used the forum for sometime so some of my problems maybe because I have never posted? How come I cannot see the name of the person who posted the message?...[/quote]

If you''re running Norton, see 1st Wizard''s advice:

http://new.pinkun.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=63&MessageID=52352

As for the missing names - can you tell us what browser (and version), OS (e.g. Windows 98) and details of firewalls you''re running.

I''ve unticked both the ads and pop-ups option in Norton.

I''m using internet explorer 6, Windows XP and have the Norton firewall and the XP firewall both on.

Hope this helps!

[quote]Cityangel, when you''re logged in select the "Control Panel" hyperlink at the top of the page and a pop-up menu should appear. From that select the "Forum Settings" option. At the bottom of the page y...[/quote]

Selecting "All Options" in the control panel is already highlighted Morph but it does''nt present me with a text formatting bar at the top of the edit window as well as all the "emoticons" down the right hand side.Thanks for trying to help me, do you have any other ideas?

[quote]I''m 99.9% certain you need IE 6 as I''m only running IE 5 at home and am missing all the good stuff too![/quote]

How do I know if I''m running 5 then and how do I download 6?Sorted my avatar out by using URL link of my pictures in Photobucket site rather than using Browse and the pictures on my pc, which has worked perfectly.Just the emotions and coloured writing to sort now and then I''m home and dry!P.S. Who likes my angel?

If you can''t see smilies and formatting then you''re running version 5 or 5.5. To check your browser version select ''Help'' on the top toolbar of IE then ''About Internet Explorer''.I''ll post the link for the download of IE 6 once I''ve done it at home and it all works.

[quote]If you can''t see smilies and formatting then you''re running version 5 or 5.5. To check your browser version select ''Help'' on the top toolbar of IE then ''About Internet Explorer''.I''ll post the link for...[/quote]

Thanks Pete, yes its the 5.5 version as you thought.

Not so much a problem, but just how do you put a photo/picture under your name. I''m sorry, but when it comes down to computer things, I''m really thick!. I have a scanner so could copy my own, (I don''t have a photo programme in my PC)  but then what?.

Please help an old confused wizard!.:confused:

If you open the control panel you should see the option avatar/personal photo. An Avatar is your virtual presence on the web so can be anything - this is the one that appears underneath your name on messages. The personal photo is a pic of you that goes in your profile.For both the avatar and the personal photo you have the option to browse your PC to find the pic you have scanned and saved somewhere. Once this is done you then click to have it resized to 80x80 then hit Update.

[quote]Not so much a problem, but just how do you put a photo/picture under your name. I''m sorry, but when it comes down to computer things, I''m really thick!. I have a scanner so could copy my own, (I don''t...[/quote]

Wizard,Its hard for us pc thickos isnt it but if I can get a picture underneath my name then anyone can do it.P.S. Do you like my picture,looks just like me, well sort of!!

I keep getting an error message saying that an error has occurred running scripts on this page...

I''m logging in from a PC at work - would this be a possible reason

Obviously I''m hard at work on a Saturday afternoon!

yes it does, even thou ive never seen you....

although it hasnt got wrinkles and isnt aging fast......

it aslso has bigger curves than you.....

[quote]Wizard,Its hard for us pc thickos isnt it but if I can get a picture underneath my name then anyone can do it.P.S. Do you like my picture,looks just like me, well sort of!![/quote]

I think its damn brilliant City Angel, very eye catching and very original. The spitting image maybe?.

Peter Raven: thanks for the tip, would it work if I saved it on a floppy, as jpeg file?. Because I find that easy to do!.

Actually if anyone knows of a current magazine that has the IE6 on the attached cover disc it may be of help to a lot of folks that are using telephone dial-up for internet access. Not all of us have broadband (although I can vouch for the performance difference).

[quote]How do I know if I''m running 5 then and how do I download 6?Sorted my avatar out by using URL link of my pictures in Photobucket site rather than using Browse and the pictures on my pc, which has work...[/quote]

Fab angel, er. angel

Question for the Web Team: How many posts do you reject per day/week on average? I can''t say I have said anything controversial, but it would be interesting to know how often you can''t send "Pinkun.com forum - Post Approved!"
Do you censor posts or just reject them? 

[quote]Question for the Web Team: How many posts do you reject per day/week on average? I can''t say I have said anything controversial, but it would be interesting to know how often you can''t send "Pinkun.co...[/quote]

Not often - maybe a couple a month. We''d prefer to cut out any libellous bits in messages rather than delete the entire thing. For example, on the EDP forums there''s often claims that certain people are liars - unless they''ve got a perjury charge (or we think there''s a reasonable defence for us!), we''d cut that out.

1st Wizard - jpeg would be best but no need to save it on a floppy, just save it on your hard drive - My Documents is probably the best place.

[quote]1st Wizard - jpeg would be best but no need to save it on a floppy, just save it on your hard drive - My Documents is probably the best place.[/quote]

Dear Peter,I''ve tried as you suggested with this picture/avatar lark. Still no luck, I found a picture, stored it in my documents as you suggested, but then I got lost. Plus I could''nt save it as jpeg, pooh!.

In the avatar section, where it says enter URL, just what URL?. The site where I got my picture from?. Or something else?.

If you know about PC''s, all well and good, but I''m a caveman when it comes to this!.

Please help, its driving me nuts, but I don''t like being beaten!.

URL is if the picture is hosted on another website, rather than than uploaded to our servers.

I think it''s probably best to upload pictures to us, in case other website is down.

You only need to fill in one of "URL to Avatar" or "Upload Avatar" boxes - this may be why you''re having problems. I will add text to say this.

URL to Avatar e.g. http://www.pinkun.com/pictures/MyPicture.jpg
(there''s no picture there, so don''t go looking)

Upload Avatar e.g. c:\my documents\MyPicture.jpg

Hurrah! have now upgraded from IE 5 to IE 6 and this forum is a whole new world! Everything works so I can do this:

However, I suggest those on dialup get a cd with IE 6 on as it took me 90 minutes to download and install it...

At last I can see it all!!

If you cannot see peoples names or have no control panel link you need to turn off script block in Norton to enable the use of java script!

Worked for me anyway!