Sign in to follow this  
Temp the Revelator

Multi-national Canaries?

This summer''s signings got me thinking how many nationalities have represented the glorious canaires over the years (well, that and the fact it is a S L O W news day today!). Here''s my starter for 10, please feel free to add any players/nationalities I am missing......

England (obviously)
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland
France (Marc Libbra etc)
Switzerland (Gaetano Giallanza)
Spain (Victor Segura)
Holland (Raymond De Waard, Fernando Derveld)
Denmark (Steeno, David Neilsen)
Norway (Erik Fugelstad etc)
Sweden (Matty Svensson)
Senegal (Pape Diop)
Morocco (Youssef Safri)
Canada (Jim Brennan)

I know there are others, but please enlighten me coz they don''t spring to mind!

Aha! I knew there was a reason I kept the Foreign Legion page up-to-date (obviously missing Safri):

Top foreign players (appearances, goals)

1 Sandy Kennon (South Africa, 59-64) 255/0
2 Dennis Van Wyk (Holland, 82-86) 155/4
3 Errol Crossan (Canada, 58-60) 116/32
4 Steen Nedergaard (Denmark, 00-03) 97/5
5 Alf Ackerman (South Africa, 51-53) 70/35
6 Erik Fuglestad (Norway, 97-00) 82/2
7 David Nielsen (Denmark, 01-present) 66/14
8 Aage Hareide (Norway, 82-84) 54/3
9 Marc Libbra (France, 01-02) 38/7
10 Jean Yves de Blasiis (France, 99-01) 38/0

Other foreign players to have played for City: Victor Segura (Spain, 97-99) 33/0, Cedric Anselin (France, 98-01) 29/1, Fernando Derveld (Holland, 99-01) 25/1, Henrik Mortensen (Denmark, 89-91) 23/2, Drazen Muzinic (Yugoslavia, 80-81) 23/0, Mathias Svensson (Sweden, 03-?) 20/7, Gaetano Giallanza (Switzerland, 99-02) 18/5, Jim Brennan (Canada, 03-?) 16/2, Raymond de Waard (Holland, 99-01) 13/0, Pape Diop (Senegal, 99-00) 10/0, Jan Molby (Denmark, 95-96) 5/1, Ulf Ottoson (Sweden, 97) 5/1, Paul Peschisolido (Canada, 01) 5/0.

Total: Denmark 4, Canada 3, France 3, Holland 3, Norway 2, South Africa 2, Sweden 2, Senegal 1, Spain 1, Switzerland 1, Yugoslavia 1.

City players born abroad but British: Kevin Keelan (India), Dave Phillips (Germany), Jeremy Goss (Cyprus), George Laxton (Brazil), Francis Peed (Argentina) and Harold Osborne (South Africa).

[link]http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/Sport/CanaryCentenary/ForeignLegion.asp[/link]

Think that list is based on those only born overseas, not those who switch nationalities because they''re not good enough to play for England.

I''m too young to remember Dennis Van Wijk but I''d rate Steeno at Number One and as for impact, it has to be Nielsen when he first joined. Looking at that list, a lot more would sit in the "made little or no impression" category...

De Waard and Derveld surely rank as two of City''s worst players?

I guess very recently you''d have to say that our Scottish players have made the biggest impact, and to a lesser extent the Northern Irish guys.

Wynton Rufer came for a look see, but joined Werder Bremen (I think, or some other German side) instead and scored squillions of goals for them. I see to remember he got pissed of because he thought we didn''t show enough interest in him....

Drazen Muzinic, oh dear, as bad as Fernando and Raymond, never rated Cedric either, nor Ulf. Aage, Steen, Dennis v W were the stars for me. Why have there been no Italians?

Brings back some memories. Has there ever been a faster City player than the crewcut Canadian Errol Crossan? As I remember his technique was to push the ball 15 yards ahead down the right touchline -giving the opposing left back up to a 5 yard start - and simply hare past him 9 times out of 10. A dangerous low cross or a fizzing shot would follow. To great effect too. Look at his record of 32 goals in 116 games as a winger.

I looked into Rufer a bit deeper. He couldn''t get a work permit & never played for the first team. He now runs a soccer school in New Zealand. I remembered him from my 1982 world cup sticker album! Amazing I can remember that, I was 8 at the time.

2 Rufers.. Winton and Shane both trialled and played for the reserves. Red tape stopped them joining despite being from the commonwealth.. and the better one (Winton) went on to play for Eintracht Frankfurt and in the 78 world cup.

You''re right in that Wynton Rufer was refused a work permit after he and his brother had trialled for the Canaries and I saw them play in a friendly against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

Wynton went on to play for New Zealand in the 82 World Cup. Later had a playing career in Switzerland and Germany - where he won the European Cup Winners Cup with Werder Bremen

Later named as the Oceania Football Confederation''s Player of the Century

More can be found on my Flown From The Nest site at:
http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/rufer.htm

which also contains profiles for all players to have played for Norwich at any level (Schoolboy to first team) since 1980

Shame that Justin Fashanu didn''t get a mention - I guess he was born here so was British after all...

Come to think about it it''s a shame full-stop about Justin Fashanu!

According to flown from the nest De Waard is now playing part time football in Holland. Now there''s a shock! the only 6''4 player to be so scared of heading a ball that he took corners!

Can''t see any mention of that famous Argentinian centre forward, Frank Peed (aka Francisco Gonzalez), who made 19 appearances for with 6 goals in the 1930''s for City. Info - courtesey Canaries Giants 1902-1994.

Sure was, East Ender but I don''t know about Tony Wilcox - he was born at sea in international waters on the way to America and managed 9 appearances for City in 1905!

Hi and greetings from down under in New Zealand.

I stumbled across this site by accident, but would just like to clear up a few misconceptions about Wynton Rufer, sorry it''s late!

In reply to Charlies Dad, the two German clubs Wynton played for was Werder Bremen and 1FC Kaiserslautern and NOT Eintracht Frankfurt. Also it was the 1982 World Cup he played in and NOT the 1978 World Cup. New Zealand has only qualified for the finals once and even if they did qualify in 78, Rufer would have only been 15 at the time and would not have played.

In reply to Enfield Canary, it is a popular misconception that either FIFA or the Oceania Football Confederation awarded Wynton as Oceania Player of the Century. In fact it was actually awarded by the IFFHS, a German organisation, who probably knew him better than the other candidates.

In reply to Kevin Keelan (I assume not the goalkeeper!!!), rather than score squillions of goals in Germany, Rufer had a pretty average figures of 59 goals in 174 Bundesliga league appearances for Werder Bremen and 4 goals in 14 Bundesliga division two league appearances for 1FC Kaiserlautern.

There should have been no reason why Wynton could not have played for Norwich City, after all his NZ team mate from the 1982 World Cup, Ricki Herbert had a trial with Southampton and later played for Wolverhampton Wanderers. (For those that may be interested in trivia, Ricki has recently become New Zealand''s first national team manager that was actually born in New Zealand!).