Sign in to follow this  
King Beef

Forum Vote: Under a week to go: Optimistic or worried?

We''ve made ten signings over the summer, they seem to have joined at different times, a lot of them coming within the past 14 days so gelling as a team has been difficult. Despite what some on this board have said, we have made some good signings, players that can certainly do a job in this league. Wes Hoolahan has made a positive start in Canary colours, notably his performance vs. Spurs. Sammy Clingan has looked sharp in the centre of the park, he looks like he has the winning mentality buried deep into his heart. We know Ryan Bertrand and what his style of play is, we were all begging for him to be signed for another year at the end of last season, we got our wish. John Kennedy, at one time deemed as one of the best players to come out of Scotland in the last thirty or fourty years is with us for a few months, once he gets into the swing of things again (atmittedly we will have to be patient with this) he could prove to be just as effective as Martin Taylor last term. Stefanovic is proven at the highest level of the English game, he could definately do a job in this league at his age. Arturo Lupoli, again on loan, is a scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer, looking at his record that is clear for all to see, but I think with the capture of a big striker (Roeder has mentioned he hopes to get one in for Cov on Saturday) he could certainly reap the rewards. Omar Koroma has a glowing report from one of the best talent spotters in the country in old ''arry, he could be a hidden gem. Despite what people have said over pre season, I do think our squad is better in quality than last season. Yes, Hucks is gone, but the new generation is here, and we need to back each and every player when they step onto the pitch.

As you can probably tell, I am an optimist, I back Roeder and I back the team. Whether we can make the huge step up of a play off push after last season is very much in question, I hope for a big improvement though, a top half finish is well within our grasp, and if we finish higher, then congratulations again go to Roeder for working magic two seasons on the trot.

So taking all things into consideration, with a few days to go until Cov, are you optimistic about this season or worried?

Cheers,

King Beef. 

I think we''ll lose to Coventry on Saturday. Given that we have some tricky looking fixtures towards the end of August, a win over Blackpool is pretty important, or the doommongers will be out in force. For the season as a whole, I am cautiously optimistic - I think we''ll finish in the top half, with our faint play-off hopes extinguished in late March. But it will take time for this brand-new team to gel and I hope the fans, who have put up with a lot over the last four seasons, can be reasonably patient.

Worried , we have never been this weak up front before , concede 1 and we are as good as beat .

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Worried , we have never been this weak up front before , concede 1 and we are as good as beat .
[/quote]

First league game of last season vs. PNE:

If I remember correctly we started up front with Chris Brown and Dion Dublin, are you seriously saying you are more concerned about Cureton/Lupoli/Koroma/ +1? than Donkey Brown and Dion?

(ps. I know Dion is a legend but his legendary status was not confirmed at that point of his City career.)

KB

I''m in between but if had to nail my colours to the mast would go for the optimistic side. 

IMO we have done pretty well with the transfers, but whether so many new players will be able to gel into a team is another thing - and we are apparently getting up to 3 more in(?).  Leicester certainly struggled to gel their dozen or so new players into a decent side last time out, and there does have to be a niggling worry that this might happen to us, but I do think the standard of player we have brought in is better than those that Martin Allen got, so will be of help!

When all is said and done, I do wish people could get away from this "Free transfers = crap, and Loans are a disaster" opinion that they seem to have formed. 

Re: Frees, there''s a huge difference between the type of "Free" that Clingan is (let contract run out, refused a new one, left) and those such as Ryan/Rossi J where they were simply not wanted.  We have signed none of the latter this season, Nelson was a mutual thing as he didn''t settle.

Re: Loans are a fact of life and here to stay - Stoke are perhaps the best example of how things can work out with them as they had loads last season.  For me, they give you access to players you''d otherwise have no hope in hell of signing (Bertrand, Omozusi) - of course they can be used by a parent club to recuperate one of their players (Kennedy), but it is up to GR to try to not get those in unless he thinks they are particularly good.

I''d be worried if we didn''t sign a couple more strikers. I''m going to assume we are going to get a couple of decent lads upfront so therefore I''m optmistic.

I am reasonably optimistic but with caution.  The players we have signed seem to be of good quality, and with the addition of a decent target man up front we will certainly be stronger up front than last season.

Got to be realistic though and understand that this team is going to need to gel.  I am therefore not expecting a flying start to the season and would be happy with a draw next Saturday as long as the performance is reasonable.

We cannot panic too early if the results do not appear.

I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic but simply resigned to more of the same.

Big money needs to be spent to make any sort of a difference and that is not going to happen with the prsent Board. I therefore forsee another season of treading water with periods of hope which will soon be dashed on the alter of reality.

A bad start could possibly see a crowd reaction against the board but I wouldn''t count on it, as far too many people seem satisfied with a second rate product.

Mindless 100% support of the Board will have as much effect as pi$$ing in the wind.

Very optimistic.   With the exception of Henry and Valesco all the previous loan signings that Roeder brought in were good quality and I see no reason to believe the latest batch will not be the same.

Watching Norwich City is a pleasure and not a chore.

Optimistic that it shouldn''t be worse than last season and we''ve made some good headway this summer. Worried that it might be second season syndrome again for Roeder and the board will sit on their hands again.

I''m not worried or particularly optimistic, but I am really interested to see who else we add this week if anyone and then, given that unless Roeder just bought everyone he could afford, he has a plan, and must therefore know what is first team is and how they will line up on Saturday and the matches after that.

I currently am not certain that I could pick what defence, midfield or attack will walk out on Saturday but I am sure that there must be logic in bringing in Clingan, Omozusi  when Foz and Russell and Semi were three of the better players last year. In addition where will Hoolahan play, who will be the 2 centre backs and will Cureton start at all?

I trust in Roeder and regardless of the money available, who owns the club and who this board like or dislike at any point in any day, it should be a fascinating season. I can see many changes taking place, but I believe that Roeder will still be here next May.       

Was optimistic, still can''t wait for kick off but I''ve got this awful feeling we''re going to be in ''it'' up to our necks by Christmas!

I''ve no doubt Glenn noticed that in the absence of an attacking threat the Spurs back four reduced to a back two and that they were able to sit on the halfway line confident that JC didn''t have the legs to beat them over anything near 40 yards. To what level he is backed by the Board in providing somebody capable of scaring defenders into defending just by their presence on the pitch could be the single most important factor in deciding which way our season goes.  One very good signing in this dept. andI  would feel very optimistic as it is judgement reserved.