Sign in to follow this  

I would certainly be happy enough if this Ameobi rumour was true (and if so, I''m happy enough for his debut to be at our first home game of the season - it would give it a nice build up); £1.5m would seem to be a pretty good price all round.  He''s a player who has undoubted talent but who is also bit of an enigma - burst onto the scene and gained lots of U-21 caps but that was a while ago now, certainly has Prem quality but is perhaps too inconsistent at that level and hasn''t managed to make his mark.

It seems to me like a change is what he needs, and he is regarded as having his best spell as a player under GR, and the manager and player clearly appear to have a mutual respect for one another, so why not with us.  If it does come off he could be a really decent signing - the alternative would be that SA''s career has been rather a waste, and you would hope he would try really hard to ensure that this is not to be the case.

Some ambivalent quotes from Ameobi at the weekend:

“I still want to be a Newcastle United player, and I still am. That’s where my focus is. I had quite a few injuries last season. There were different things that kept me back and stopped me being as fit as I should have been.

“I missed a lot of pre-season last year with a thigh problem, and that’s what held me back. I wasn’t fit enough to challenge for a place in the team. This season I’ve made sure I’ve been right. I’ve worked very hard. The manager wants us to be one of the fittest teams in the league.

“I’m still a Newcastle United player, and I have to be professional about it. Whatever happens in the next month or so, I have to make sure my head’s right.

“Football’s a frustrating game at times, but you have to keep your head up, and hope for the best. This is the fittest I’ve been in a few years, and hopefully, that can translate into playing more games. I need to improve my form.

“I have to look after myself, and no matter how much I love the club, I have to satisfy my need for first-team football. I’m working hard. Fitness has been a big issue for me in the last two or three years.

“But I have made sure I’ve had a good pre-season by keeping myself fit over the summer. I have to be professional and make sure my body’s right, and that I’m in the right frame of mind.”

He''s off then!!

You get the feeling that Ameobi has been Roeder''s number one target all Summer. Holding out until the bitter end to drop that ridiculous 3.5M price tag is great business. I wouldn''t like to suggest Ameobi has been tapped up, but his rejection of both Stoke and Ipswich when his desire to play first team football is strange. It obviously a bonus having a well respected manager with both opposing managers and players alike.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]

[quote user="Lazza"]Why would Newcastle play him in a friendly if they were going to sell him less than a week later?I''m not saying it''s not true but it does seem very odd.[/quote]

Because they were short on strikers.[/quote]

And short on common sense too? I can''t imagine any club playing a player they were in negotiation to sell later the same week in a friendly. With a competitive game it would be different but a friendly is just a chance to get some match-fitness and try out some new formations with new & returning players. Risking a £1.5M (according to us) to £3.5M (according to them) move for the sake of a friendly would be madness.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

“I missed a lot of pre-season last year with a thigh problem, and that’s what held me back. I wasn’t fit enough to challenge for a place in the team. This season I’ve made sure I’ve been right. I’ve worked very hard.

[/quote]And why was he taken off in that friendly? A thigh-strain! Not a great omen.I sincerely hope my worries are groundless, that he is coming to us for £1.5M and that he can stay fit for a whole season but this does worry me a bit, especially if we would be relying on him for goals and to supply the other strikers...

Well there is no reason to disbelieve you Dirtbox, you are a regular poster unlike these newbies who claim knowledge! So I am fairly hopeful about this one, £1.5m is a big drop and if it''s the case I am sure there will be some strings attached. Great stuff. Looking forward to Thursday.

We need someone to score a few goals for us this season, i just hope if it is Ameobi, he won''t be another striker lacking confidence and misses loads of chances every week.

If the price you say is true, this move will be hijacked at the last minute! LOL

However, if we landed Ameobi the team dynamic would change so much........I would stop being such a miserable sod!!

Wikipedia does mention that Ameobi has been "linked with a permanent move to Championship side Norwich City". It would be brilliant if this move happened. He''s a big guy, but does he play as a target man or more on the ground? Pardon my ignorance, but in other words if we do sign him, would it mean that Glenn''s search for a target man is over?

Wikipedia haha.

When I started Uni I was told there were 3 important things to remember:

1. Wikipedia is not a reliable source

2. Wikipedia is not a reliable source

3. Wikipedia is not a reliable source

Needless to say it has helped me write many an essay :P not that I reference it at all!

Lazza wrote the following post at 05/08/2008 9:08 AM:

Mr. Bump wrote:

Lazza wrote:

Why would Newcastle play him in a friendly if they were going to sell him less than a week later?
I''m not saying it''s not true but it does seem very odd.

Because they were short on strikers.

Lazza wrote the following post at 05/08/2008 9:08 AM:

Mr. Bump wrote:

Lazza wrote:

Why would Newcastle play him in a friendly if they were going to sell him less than a week later?
I''m not saying it''s not true but it does seem very odd.

Because they were short on strikers.

And short on common sense too? I can''t imagine any club playing a player they were in negotiation to sell later the same week in a friendly. With a competitive game it would be different but a friendly is just a chance to get some match-fitness and try out some new formations with new & returning players. Risking a £1.5M (according to us) to £3.5M (according to them) move for the sake of a friendly would be madness.

PurpleCanary wrote:

“I missed a lot of pre-season last year with a thigh problem, and that’s what held me back. I wasn’t fit enough to challenge for a place in the team. This season I’ve made sure I’ve been right. I’ve worked very hard.

And why was he taken off in that friendly? A thigh-strain! Not a great omen.

I sincerely hope my worries are groundless, that he is coming to us for £1.5M and that he can stay fit for a whole season but this does worry me a bit, especially if we would be relying on him for goals and to supply the other strikers...

I have to say that I''m not totally convinced,but agree that DWBDD is not known as a rumour monger,so will continue to hope.

Regarding the points above,one explanation for Newcastle playing him could be that GR had requested it to give him some match fitness,as we have no more friendlies.That would make sense if the plan was to start him at Coventry,and Mr Bump''s point would explain why Newcastle would go along with that.Secondly,I understood that he came off with hamstring trouble.

am pretty sure that he played in the newcastle friendly as Owen has mumps, Viduka is injured and Martins is in Nigeria due to his mums death so they were obviously short of strikers - infact they were so desperate that in their next friendly they played Alan Smith up front!!!!

That isn''t that desperate is it?! He used to play as striker for Leeds, and also that why Man U signed him originally.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I can''t wait for Dave from Newcastle to call in as Dave from Norwich....[/quote]That is the whole reason i want to sign him haha

[quote user="ncfcstar"]That isn''t that desperate is it?! He used to play as striker for Leeds, and also that why Man U signed him originally.[/quote]

Yeah i think its pretty desperate - Smith played 37 times for Newcastle for last season and how many times did he score??????

The answer is a big fat zero!

According to Newcastle fans who were at last week''s friendly both Shola and Smith had a terrible game.  Shola, before his injury, was described as "immobile" and "just standing about" while another fan claimed that Smith didn''t have a shot on target during the entire match.

I watched the friendly as it was on Setanta and it was painful viewing. Smith and Ameobi were shocking but it would be unfair to single them out as the whole team were awful! 

I can seriously see Newcastle struggling this season. They don''t seemed to of signed anyone worth mentioning and are having trouble attracting players!