Sign in to follow this  
Match Day Pie

PROTEST AGAINST DELIA AND THE BOARD

[quote user="ron obvious"]Hmmm....How rich is Stephen Fry? Anybody know?Interesting ........[/quote]I think you''ll find that it''s Quite Interesting..........(Insert tumbleweed smiley)I''ll get my coat

With a full house for most games, and the support that the fans give we deserve better from this board, they have spent a very derisoy sum on players when we was assured there would be cash for players this year, did not state how much at the time but true to past form we have been let down and they have not delivered, imop we will be lucky to finish mid table at the most. 

[quote user="Bassy"]

With a full house for most games, and the support that the fans give we deserve better from this board, they have spent a very derisoy sum on players when we was assured there would be cash for players this year, did not state how much at the time but true to past form we have been let down and they have not delivered, imop we will be lucky to finish mid table at the most. 

[/quote]

I don''t get this idea that the board should say how much they have to spend. No one else does - why should we? As long as the manager knows where he stands and is happy he can work within that, why should anyone else know?

Unless of course you would like other teams to put their prices up?

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

Where was it then?

All you moaners made a lot of noise about it after the Cullum circus.

Chicken out did you?

Oooh, bet you''ve really got the rage now we''ve lost a practice match.

Let''s see you outside the Colchester game then.

Not.

[/quote]

I really am not prone to giving out insults, but honestly what an idiot you are! I don''t go to friendlies anymore, ever since having to sit next to a fat chav Gooner  when we played and lost to the Arsenal a few years back. It looks like most of the other city fans agree with me, as judging by the pictures on Setanta approx 15000 of the crowd appeared to be Spurs fans, hardly likely to wish to protest against Delia keeping us as little Norwich. And what did you make of last nights game. Yes that''s right gutsy little Norwich trying our best to match the much superior Spurs side, eventually getting swept away in the second half. I would have been sick with embarassment had I have been there. Beaten 5 -1 in our our stadium which was mostly occupied by away fans. How humiliating do you want things to be before you wake up? Last night was another cynical attempt to rake in extra cash. The club couldn''t give a toss that most of the "fans" weren''t even there to support NCFC. People such as myself are loath to protest and hope that we don''t have to. People like you who brownose the club will achieve only one thing, keeping us in the Championship or getting us relegated by putting up with being taken for a mug year after year. I hope you are proud of yourself, you are the type that is letting this great club down.

[/quote]

There isn''t much point in you making these ''points'' as they are all fantasy. Anyone there will tell you your ''fan'' numbers are just a figment of your imagination. And why shouldn''t the club have a lucrative pre-season friendly?

And what did I make of the game? It was a practice match, nothing more, nothing less. All very boring. Quite why you''re getting worked up about it is beyond me.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

Where was it then?

All you moaners made a lot of noise about it after the Cullum circus.

Chicken out did you?

Oooh, bet you''ve really got the rage now we''ve lost a practice match.

Let''s see you outside the Colchester game then.

Not.

[/quote]

I suspect Smudger has much better things to do with his time than fight battles for those on here who are barely out of nappies and have to be in bed before 10 o''clock.

Learn the hard way like the rest of us....otherwise you''ll all stay as daft as you are now.....

[/quote]

If 36 is still in nappies, you must be very old...

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle MBE Lord of the Haymarket"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

Looks to me like we won''t be getting any replies from those who are so full of hot air that claim to ''care'' for our club.

What a surprise.

[/quote]

Oh really? When did I ever say I or anyone else were going to protest at the spurs game? As for claiming to "care" about our club, im sorry that i feel 20m put in for players would be a good thing, how foolish of me, we are much better off with a 2m LOAN from the Turners. obviously that makes me a binner doesnt it??????

[/quote]

No one disagrees that £20m would be good. But it has to be right.

There are a lot of people on here claiming to know what Delia is thinking, what her mentality is and what her evil plans are for the club.

I''d like to know how many of you actually know her that well, and are therefore truly qualified to say these things.

I''d guarantee it ''aint many...

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle MBE Lord of the Haymarket"]Do you know what shes thinking then?[/quote]

Wouldn''t have a clue, but have never claimed to.

What I do know is that someone I work with has spent a lot of time in her company and says that the worst thing would be to drive her into a corner - because her love of NCFC really is a pride thing, and questioning her judgement as a director makes her think she is having her love of the club questioned.

I''m not saying she is right or wrong in anything she''s done, and I never have - despite what the more myopic might say - but if the above is true (and I have no reason to doubt the source), then - at the risk of starting a vaguely intellectual debate - it must be a very difficult thing for her to deal with. Put yourself in that position - you love the club, are first and foremost a fan, but have to deal with the consequences when your actions start to have adverse effects and thousands of people - not all of them rational - want answers.

It''s like how people react on this board when they have their ''true fan'' status questioned because they are passionate about the way they want the club run. You and I may or may not want it run in different ways but that make us no less a fan. The difference is, we can walk away without consequence. Delia can''t.

[quote user="Match Day Pie"]

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle MBE Lord of the Haymarket"]Do you know what shes thinking then?[/quote]

What I do know is that someone I work with has spent a lot of time in her company and says that the worst thing would be to drive her into a corner - because her love of NCFC really is a pride thing, and questioning her judgement as a director makes her think she is having her love of the club questioned.

[/quote]

Isn''t that just another way of saying she can''t take criticism, however well founded?  This is exactly what concerns us, that she is incapable of distinguishing between her own pride and the good of Norwich City. 

Whilst I would have ordinary human sympathy for anyone with such an overinflated and fragile ego, I''m a fan of NCFC first and foremost.  Delia''s mental state simply isn''t my problem except insofar as it has a detrimental effect on the club.  What I can''t understand is why the people around her let her get away with it.  They are just as culpable as she is, if not more so.

I''m not saying she is right or wrong in anything she''s done, and I never have - despite what the more myopic might say - but if the above is true (and I have no reason to doubt the source), then - at the risk of starting a vaguely intellectual debate - it must be a very difficult thing for her to deal with. Put yourself in that position - you love the club, are first and foremost a fan, but have to deal with the consequences when your actions start to have adverse effects and thousands of people - not all of them rational - want answers.

It''s like how people react on this board when they have their ''true fan'' status questioned because they are passionate about the way they want the club run. You and I may or may not want it run in different ways but that make us no less a fan. The difference is, we can walk away without consequence. Delia can''t.

[/quote]

Fair enough, but the good of the club has to come before her pride.

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

[/quote]

Isn''t that just another way of saying she can''t take criticism, however well founded?  This is exactly what concerns us, that she is incapable of distinguishing between her own pride and the good of Norwich City. 

Whilst I would have ordinary human sympathy for anyone with such an overinflated and fragile ego, I''m a fan of NCFC first and foremost.  Delia''s mental state simply isn''t my problem except insofar as it has a detrimental effect on the club.  What I can''t understand is why the people around her let her get away with it.  They are just as culpable as she is, if not more so.

[/quote]

Yeah, but it depends how constructive the criticism is.

If its true that she prickles at the first sign of criticism then she

needs to grow up a little bit.  She''s a grown woman, a successful

television personality, and a Director at this club for over 10 years,

surely she''s realised by now that not everyone is going to agree with

everything she says and does? Sounds a little odd to me....

[/quote]

If, as you seem to be suggesting, her fragile ego is being put before the good of the club then she totally deserves the stick she is getting, and some.  Would it be a ridiculous leap of logic to suggest that if "questioning her judgement as a director makes her think she is having her love of the club questioned", then she may well view Cullums approach in a similar light?

[quote user="Match Day Pie"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, but it depends how constructive the criticism is.

[/quote]

From what you were saying it doesn''t sound as though the concept of "constructive" criticism applies in this case.  Anything that dents her pride is destructive as far as she is concerned.  That''s precisely the problem.

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

fwiw I was around in the mid-60s and I don''t recall anything that could possibly be called a protest against G. Watling.  A few unsavoury chants from the Barclay may have made an impression on the youthful nutty but they''re a world away from calling for his head, which never happened as far as memory serves.  There was a bit more discontent about A. South and not entirely without reason imo.  I don''t think he was ever revered or ever will be.  As for "the same will be true of Delia" only time will tell.

[/quote]

Like I said, nobody remembers it now. But it did happen and I guess it was acceptable back in those days. Watling was hated then from the terraces. We had sold Ron Davies and then Hughie Curran for record fees. I remember far more protest against Watling and the board than against Lol Morgan who was finally sacked to make way for Ron Saunders. And don''t go thinking Saunders was popular either because for the first season or so he was as unpopular as Watling. We hardly signed any players and the football was dire.

Arthur South, as Lord Mayor, was responsible for the appeal in that saved the club in 1957 and later, as chairman,  for the change in style at Norwich City. He brought in John Bond and was in charge at the only time I remember us really throwing money at the football side of the club. But that didn''t stop the protests when fans felt they were being short changed. But, looking back, were the protests right?

[/quote]

Nutty what is it you''re actually saying?  That we should never protest?  That being a football club chairman is a popularity contest? 

The Lol Morgan situation is a perfect illustration of why protest was right.  We were treading water after getting established in Div 2 and beginning to show signs of getting sucked backwards.  The fans knew it and Geoffrey Watling agreed.  Whether he would have replaced Morgan anyway at that particular time, we shall never know.  He didn''t replace Morgan just to appease the fans, but because he thought they were right.  As you say, to begin with they weren''t happy with Saunders either but Watling didn''t agree, had the courage of his convictions and of course he was proved right. 

Protest is part of the warp and weft of football, always has been.  With a chairman like Watling who knew his football and didn''t court popularity for its own sake, it formed a healthy dialogue between the fans and the club.  Unfortunately things are very different now.  Now it seems that the slightest scrap of criticism, however well founded, is an act of treachery. 

Forty years ago (or even 15 years ago) the idea of supporting the board no matter what would have seemed bizarre in the extreme.  Even now I cannot think of another club like ours.  It''s a kind of collective insanity based on a personality cult.  Can only end one way I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Fat....  it''s obvuious what I am saying, it''s in the words of my post. You changing those words to make something to argue against is hardly fair. I didn''t say fans should never protest I just pointed out that history often shows the protests to be wrong. And neither did I say being chairman of the club was a popularity contest.

But I do have trouble with what you say because first you say there were no protests against Watling and then you say the protests were right. Then you mention protests about Lol Morgan that I don''t have any recollection of whatsoever. They may have happened but the only ones I remember were very personal and directed only to Geoffrey Watling. I remember the kids chanting those zigger zagger chants about Watling at school too. In a similar way to how there were so many youngsters chanting unfounded rubbish about Nigel Worthington a couple of years ago.

You are right Fat, time then proved Watling right so then surely you have to say that time proved the protesters wrong. So now Geoffrey Watling like so many before and after is "bad boy turned good". The fans would respect a statue in his honour and wouldn''t spit at it chanting zigger zagger chants. Because fans can change their minds. They don''t run the club. But if they did they wouldn''t be able to change their minds and poor old Geoffrey Watling would have gone to his grave as the "bad boy who stayed bad" with zigger zagger on his tombstone.

Honestly, some of you really are fecking idiots. The whole point of writing about Delia having spoken to somebody who''s worked closely her was that unless any of you have been that close, you can''t make assumptions.

So what do you do? Make assumptions!

''If, as you seem to be suggesting, her fragile ego is being put before the good of the club'' etc etc etc etc

What is wrong with you? Where did I ''suggest'' anything? The whole point of it was to say there is no point in speculating about Delia''s intentions and so on because you don''t have any proof. So what do you do? Take fact and turned it into fiction. Yet again. Which will always happen when you put your own opinions in front of what is actually known.

Again, I am no lover of the board or Delia but this endless nonsense about what she may or may not be thinking will not help any of us in the long run, and just creates bad feeling.

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fat Pineapple, in two ahort paragraphs you neatly sum up the Delia conumdrum and I hope everybody gets to read and consider your comments, irrespective of their location to the fence. Hopefully, those who think that criticising Smith equates to being anti-club can see that the two are not the same thing. I think you make that point very well.

What concerns me is that if decision making is clouded by personal emotion, how will the club move forward in the future? Do we shut our eyes, fingers crossed behind our back, and hope that Roeder gets it right? Hope that even if we have a semi-reasonable season according to recent standards that the management team will remain in place to see the job through to the end? Hope that fans will continue to buy season tickets even if the fayre served up continues to be unpalatable?

If she can''t handle anybody questioning her judgement then perhaps she thinks the rest of us are less of a fan than she. If so, she is developing a ''bunker mentality''.

I completely agree with you Match Day Pie - and what makes it worse is that once people have added whatever fiction they want to something factual, the new version of things almost becomes a fact on its own.

Yes I remember those zigger zagger chants directed towards Geoffrey Watling and I am ashamed to have been one of the Barclay crowd chanting them , I had no idea what they ment as a 14 yr old , I asked my brother who is 8 yrs my senior who stood in the River end with his mates " did you hear us shouting zigger zagger " ? he then told me what it ment , I felt sick , I pleaded with him not to tell Mum and Dad what I had done , It was alien to everything that  I had been taught and brought up as to how to believe and behave .

To this day I don''t know why racists chants were directed at Geoffrey Watling , the only reason I can think is because being head of something you are like a dartboard a perfect target for the weirdo''s in our world....arrdee.

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

But talking of theories, your supposition that a fans rep would become the enemy as soon as they got onto the board is purely theoretical.  You may prove to be correct, but unless it actually happens there''s no way of testing it out.

[/quote]

It may well be theoretical but it comes from many years experience. As a young boy I remember not being able to understand the hatred behind the zigger zagger chants from the Barclay towards Geoffrey Watling. Strangely nobody remembers it now or ever doubts his credentials as a fan. Arthur South was another who suffered abuse even though he was instrumental in saving the club. Now it''s Delias turn.

[/quote]

That''s a completely different issue.  You seem to imply that "saving the club" (whatever that means) gives the club''s majority shareholders immunity from prosecution until the day of doom just because they claim to be fans.  But if they do not keep football at the top of their priority list they don''t deserve to be called fans, and if they do not deliver a club that punches its weight (which is undeniably the case at present) who else apart from the fans is going to take them to task?  And whilst I wouldn''t personally resort to abusive chanting I can understand why people do when their concerns are ignored. 

[/quote]

What Nutty has written is EXACTLY the issue. The point he makes is that, over time, almost all fans come to see that those with responsibility for the club in the past that fans threw daggers at really had the best interest of the club at heart after all. The same will be true of Delia. Of course, it''s always possible that you may be an exception Fat Pineapple.

[/quote]

Yankee I don''t know what godforsaken hour it is in New York but you''re not paying attention.  Can''t you sleep?  The "different issue" I was referring to if you bother to read back is about the difference between the majority shareholders being fans and someone being on the board to represent the fans, not about whether or not the majority shareholder/fans are revered or vilified, or whether such treatment is justified.

fwiw I was around in the mid-60s and I don''t recall anything that could possibly be called a protest against G. Watling.  A few unsavoury chants from the Barclay may have made an impression on the youthful nutty but they''re a world away from calling for his head, which never happened as far as memory serves.  There was a bit more discontent about A. South and not entirely without reason imo.  I don''t think he was ever revered or ever will be.  As for "the same will be true of Delia" only time will tell.

[/quote]

My goodness, how angry you seem Fat Pineapple. You must be a lot of fun on a picnic. I''d ask you for a date but I think you''d keep hitting me with the fly swatter even when there''s not a fly to be seen for miles.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[quote user="Geronimo"]
The fact is this Delia is frightened of losing the limelight she has at Norwich City.
If she were able to be a board member/ something in the fans eye and her Pie Shop then im sure she would be happy to hand the club over.
But she can see that if she lost her media spotlight then her books wouldn sell as well, she wouldnt get on TV again and people would forget her.

The thing is too that now its come out that she turned down numerous offers she looks bad, and now IF she sold she would look bad especially if the club were to thrive under Cullum.

I am not attending the friendlies but come the start of the new season if we dont get the results we need ill be joining in with the noise for her out.

As a supporter for as long as ive been watching football (wont say how long dont wanna give out my age) i have never heard about a club that has turned down a billionaire owner not to regret it.

Delia does not have the clubs interest as her priority, Delia is her priority, and as for people saying there arint many Delia haters read the flipping EDP and listen to the banter because beleive you me that there are at least a couple thousand Norfolk and Norwich devotees that dispise Delia Smith (and lets not forget Mr. Wyn- Jones).

Also has anyone noticed that Neil Doncaster seems to make rather a lot of excuses as to why Norwich can not spend more than 20 quid on a player?
That smug git earns a fair pay packet for telling the press that Norwich are in debt, well done mister state the obvious
As far as im concerned he does not in anyway help the club and should be sacked.

Rant over[/quote]In a nutshell!  [Y]

Being a big fish in a small pond appeals to those with Smith''s mentality...and the very thought of someone playing with her train set under her nose would be unbearable for her.

Classic "control freakery".....classic "dominant female psyche".....[/quote]Whenever I hear the word ''cluck'' I tend to think of a broody hen but this quote is defiately that of a strutting little cock! lol  [:D]

[/quote]

A spade is a spade in my language lappy!.....

Females can indeed do many things better (or equally as well) as a male given the opportunity....but dominant feminist females have a whole new agenda which does not include equality.

Smith is both spoilt and prickly....and this why she will hold onto her cherished toy until it is eventually wrenched from her.

It will all end in tears...hopefully.

Honestly, some of you really are fecking idiots. The whole point of writing about Delia having spoken to somebody who''s worked closely her was that unless any of you have been that close, you can''t make assumptions.

''If, as you seem to be suggesting, her fragile ego is being put before the good of the club'' etc etc etc etc

What is wrong with you? Where did I ''suggest'' anything? The whole point of it was to say there is no point in speculating about Delia''s intentions and so on because you don''t have any proof. So what do you do? Take fact and turned it into fiction. Yet again. Which will always happen when you put your own opinions in front of what is actually known.

Again, I am no lover of the board or Delia but this endless nonsense about what she may or may not be thinking will not help any of us in the long run, and just creates bad feeling.

[/quote]

MDP this is a discussion forum not a court of law.  It''s all about opinions.  None of us knows the whole truth or even half of it.  And of course we don''t know exactly what''s going on in Delia''s mind.  But to me it seems increasingly obvious that the workings of Delia''s mind play a far larger part in the fortunes of Norwich City than they ought to, and that there are other people at the top of this club who are shirking their responsibilities by letting it happen.  That''s just my opinion fwiw.

[/quote]

MDP, when you vote at the next election will you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that the guy who doesn`t get your vote isn`t a political genius who can put all the countries problems right?  Of course not, you will be making an educated guess like the rest of us.  In fact, almost everything in life is educated guesswork- which job to do, which car/house to buy etc.

You basically back up in your post the idea that some of us have got (from her over-sensitive reaction to criticism, her "if someone came in with £20m for the team....." etc. statements) that Delias` fragile ego may be a big issue when it comes to handing over the reigns at the club and then get wound-up when people react to it!  Of course it`s an "assumption" but there is enough evidence out there to make an educated opinion on this matter IMO if you can weigh things up objectively.......

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Match Day Pie"]

[/quote]

MDP, when you vote at the next election will you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that the guy who doesn`t get your vote isn`t a political genius who can put all the countries problems right?  Of course not, you will be making an educated guess like the rest of us.  In fact, almost everything in life is educated guesswork- which job to do, which car/house to buy etc.

You basically back up in your post the idea that some of us have got (from her over-sensitive reaction to criticism, her "if someone came in with £20m for the team....." etc. statements) that Delias` fragile ego may be a big issue when it comes to handing over the reigns at the club and then get wound-up when people react to it!  Of course it`s an "assumption" but there is enough evidence out there to make an educated opinion on this matter IMO if you can weigh things up objectively.......

[/quote]

Well, I will be interested to see how MDP answers your question Mr. Carrow. Of course, the question should be redundant because the answer is so obvious, which is, we all should KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that neither the guy who gets your vote, as well as the one who does not, can put all the countries problems right. The reason we know this is because solving problems for some will create problems for others. No guesswork required on that one.

With respect to the second part of your post, the only evidence that is clear on the matter is that when someone waves a big number whether or not it comes along with an offer, some posters will line up with their tongues hanging out without knowing the facts of the situation at all. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

Nutty what is it you''re actually saying?  That we should never protest?  That being a football club chairman is a popularity contest? 

The Lol Morgan situation is a perfect illustration of why protest was right.  We were treading water after getting established in Div 2 and beginning to show signs of getting sucked backwards.  The fans knew it and Geoffrey Watling agreed.  Whether he would have replaced Morgan anyway at that particular time, we shall never know.  He didn''t replace Morgan just to appease the fans, but because he thought they were right.  As you say, to begin with they weren''t happy with Saunders either but Watling didn''t agree, had the courage of his convictions and of course he was proved right. 

Protest is part of the warp and weft of football, always has been.  With a chairman like Watling who knew his football and didn''t court popularity for its own sake, it formed a healthy dialogue between the fans and the club.  Unfortunately things are very different now.  Now it seems that the slightest scrap of criticism, however well founded, is an act of treachery. 

Forty years ago (or even 15 years ago) the idea of supporting the board no matter what would have seemed bizarre in the extreme.  Even now I cannot think of another club like ours.  It''s a kind of collective insanity based on a personality cult.  Can only end one way I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Fat....  it''s obvuious what I am saying, it''s in the words of my post. You changing those words to make something to argue against is hardly fair. I didn''t say fans should never protest I just pointed out that history often shows the protests to be wrong. And neither did I say being chairman of the club was a popularity contest.

But I do have trouble with what you say because first you say there were no protests against Watling and then you say the protests were right. Then you mention protests about Lol Morgan that I don''t have any recollection of whatsoever. They may have happened but the only ones I remember were very personal and directed only to Geoffrey Watling. I remember the kids chanting those zigger zagger chants about Watling at school too. In a similar way to how there were so many youngsters chanting unfounded rubbish about Nigel Worthington a couple of years ago.

You are right Fat, time then proved Watling right so then surely you have to say that time proved the protesters wrong. So now Geoffrey Watling like so many before and after is "bad boy turned good". The fans would respect a statue in his honour and wouldn''t spit at it chanting zigger zagger chants. Because fans can change their minds. They don''t run the club. But if they did they wouldn''t be able to change their minds and poor old Geoffrey Watling would have gone to his grave as the "bad boy who stayed bad" with zigger zagger on his tombstone.

[/quote]

nutty I don''t really want to split hairs over the meaning of "protest" and the various forms it can take.  But remember the old codgers in the main stand who used to chuck their cushions on the pitch?  Nearly every week there was the odd one or two, but during the Lol Morgan era they began to appear on a regular basis in increasing numbers, and eventually at half time as well as full time.  To me that was a pretty clear and perfectly legitimate form of protest, but maybe you don''t agree.  If people did that now they''d be ejected from the ground. 

I''ve tried to sum up my own view on protest in the penultimate paragraph above.  It''s not about the protesters being correct or incorrect in their assessment of the situation.  Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren''t.   That''s not the point.  It goes with the territory, and whether it is healthy and positive or divisive and destructive largely depends on how it is handled by the powers that be.

I wasn''t "changing your words", I was trying to clarify what you were trying to say.  Perhaps I should have put it a bit less bluntly.  Am I right in thinking that you believe protest is justified if the protesters'' assessment of the situation turns out to be correct, but not if it isn''t?