Sign in to follow this  
Match Day Pie

PROTEST AGAINST DELIA AND THE BOARD

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

[quote user="Coelho"]Stefanovic - freeBertrand - loanOmozusi - loanKennedy - loanClingan - freeHoolahan - 250kBell - undisclosed (less than £500k I''d imagine?)Lupoli - loan

[/quote]

It really isn''t that simple...

Most loans come with a standard loan fee, in the case of Kennedy it was probably a fairly large one seeing as Motherwell weren''t prepared to paqy for it, for the players on a free it is generally accepted that because there is no transfer fee involved the player expects a larger signing on bonus, and as for Bell I know it was undisclosed but the papers were reporting it as 600k. Don''t forget that teh transfer window hasn''t closed and we haven''t finished the rebuilding job...

[/quote]

I''m well aware of the loan fees and agent''s fees and everything else that modern football transfers entail. Even when you factor in the loan fees, it''s still a very modest outlay compared to a lot of Championship rivals, and that''s down to previous misdemeanours since we won the title (not speculating to accumulate in summer 2004, hanging on to Nigel too long, appointing a turkey to replace him and letting his p*** the remainder of our parachute payments up the wall). If we splash £3m on Ameobi next week then fair enough, it would allay my fears to some extent, but quite simply there is not enough potential for investment on the current board of directors to give us a cat in hell''s chance of establishing ourselves in the Premiership. Cullum clearly has the money to negotiate a deal if he wants to, and I''m not suggesting that D&M should have sold the club short to let him take control, but the frustration will continue to build among the moderate fans like myself if Glenn is unable to mould his band of freebies and loanees into genuine top-six contenders. That frustration will not be directed at Glenn, but at the board.

I really think all this take over talk could be stopped in one statement/interview. thats what gets me why the silence?

[quote user="Match Day Pie"]

Where was it then?

All you moaners made a lot of noise about it after the Cullum circus.

Chicken out did you?

Oooh, bet you''ve really got the rage now we''ve lost a practice match.

Let''s see you outside the Colchester game then.

Not.

[/quote]

I suspect Smudger has much better things to do with his time than fight battles for those on here who are barely out of nappies and have to be in bed before 10 o''clock.

Learn the hard way like the rest of us....otherwise you''ll all stay as daft as you are now.....

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Coelho, so much more well put than what I said, but basically saying the same.  Why can''t some fans understand where we are coming from?[/quote]I can understand the mentality of people who are loyal to Delia - I''m certainly not one of the people who think she''s purely self-interested. I genuinely believe she cares about the club and wants it to succeed, but we will never be able to move forward without a significant level of investment, and if she or the Turners aren''t prepared to inject some serious cash, then it''s only Glenn that will be able to save them from the groundswell of public opinion. It will be a pivotal season for the future of the club one way or another.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Yes we are a well run club , its just the football we are crap at , you say if the right buyer comes along , well after turning away Cullum who most fans thought was the best we could hope for do you really believe anybody else is going to fit Delias strict criteria ?. You may not sense any anti Delia feeling now but if results go the wrong way this season people will turn on her very early .As for the SCG , how many members of that elite hand picked group are anti Board and would like Cullum to run the club ? my guess would be not very many .
[/quote]

Firstly I don''t feel elite just trying to do my best and I think most members of the SCG would perhaps support Cullum if he had made a formal offer, but he didn''t and the rest is history.

Thinking about your other comments nobody could disagree that the football has been crap but we could hardly blame Delia for that as the board took lots of advice we are told before appointing two  poor managers.

I do however have a theory as to why fans in our neck of the woods are more pro Delia - a lot of them including myself work/ed in Ipswich and surrounds and Delia is reviled by binner fans because she brought money and celebrity to our club and had the temerity to live in Suffolk.I know lots of Canary fans who flaunt pictures of Delia and use Delia mugs in their office. In contrast Ipswich fans would not have Delia cookbooks in the house.We have stood by and defended Delia and all things Norwich City despite torrents of abuse so perhaps we will be the last to revolt.

[/quote]

FF at the next SCG meeting could you please raise the following question:

"When are we going to have a fans representative on the board of directors?"

Delia said "Fans are the club; they are the most important thing to us.  I would like to see fans on the Board." (source: Norwich City Supporters Trust leaflet).  So when is her wish going to be granted?

Many thanks.

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

Delia said "Fans are the club; they are the most important thing to us.  I would like to see fans on the Board." (source: Norwich City Supporters Trust leaflet).  So when is her wish going to be granted?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

Trouble is Fat - when they make it to the board they are no longer fans, so then we want fans on the board again. Watling was a fan. South too, and Chase, so was Delia, MWJ too, and of course the Turners. But when they are on the board they seem to lose their fan status and become the enemy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

Many thanks.

[/quote]

Trouble is Fat - when they make it to the board they are no longer fans, so then we want fans on the board again. Watling was a fan. South too, and Chase, so was Delia, MWJ too, and of course the Turners. But when they are on the board they seem to lose their fan status and become the enemy.

[/quote]

nutty I don''t think we''ve ever had anyone on the board who was there purely to represent the fans.  However, you''ve (perhaps unwittingly) spotted a Delia-ism of the "fans would never forgive us if we turned down £20m" variety.  Of course she can say "I would like to see fans on the Board" if what she means are herself and Michael! So if we choose to think she means a fans representative as most of us would understand it, then that''s our problem isn''t it? 

Well spotted nutty.  The sheer deviousness of the woman never ceases to astound me. 

nutty I don''t think we''ve ever had anyone on the board who was there purely to represent the fans.  However, you''ve (perhaps unwittingly) spotted a Delia-ism of the "fans would never forgive us if we turned down £20m" variety.  Of course she can say "I would like to see fans on the Board" if what she means are herself and Michael! So if we choose to think she means a fans representative as most of us would understand it, then that''s our problem isn''t it? 

Well spotted nutty.  The sheer deviousness of the woman never ceases to astound me. 

[/quote]

You''re a great one for theories Fat but I doubt Delia meant herself although I am sure she see''s herself as a fan. Don''t you see her as a fan? When did she make the quote about wanting to see fans on the board? Was it before the Turners stopped being fans and became directors?

The point I was making would be that as soon as the fans representative got on the board they would stop being a fan and become the enemy.

Whoever it was.

Even if it was you [;)]

Totally agree with Coelho I actually really liked Delia however when someone comes along and offers an investment of £20 million it times to go.  I honestly think that if she really loved the club she would have done everything to get PC onside.  I think most of us think she did everything to turn him away.  We all know we need the money to compete and without it we will struggle.  If I was Delia I would rather own 49% of something rather than 100% of nothing....

Match Day pie you are a fool to think that if the results go wrong then a large number of fans will not turn on the board.  Football is a ficke game at the best of times and they have 20 million reasons to be very angry.

I really hope she sorts this out and exits stage right with her head held high it would be very sad to see her forced out.....so Delia please find a way to get PC in and turn yourself into the most respected woman ever to rule the canary roost

The fact is this Delia is frightened of losing the limelight she has a Norwich City.If she were able to be a board member/ something in the fans eye and her Pie Shop then im sure she would be happy to hand the club over.But she can see that if she lost her media spotlight then her books wouldn sell as well, she wouldnt get on TV again and people would forget her.The thing is too that now its come out that she turned down numerous offers she looks bad, and now IF she sold she would look bad especially if the club were to thrive under Cullum.I am not attending the friendlies but come the start of the new season if we dont get the results we need ill be joining in with the noise for her out.As a supporter for as long as ive been watching football (wont say how long dont wanna give out my age) i have never heard about a club that has turned down a billionaire owner not to regret it.Delia does not have the clubs interest as her priority, Delia is her priority, and as for people saying there arint many Delia haters read the flipping EDP and listen to the banter because beleive you me that there are at least a couple thousand Norfolk and Norwich devotees that dispise Delia Smith (and lets not forget Mr. Wyn- Jones).Also has anyone noticed that Neil Doncaster seems to make rather a lot of excuses as to why Norwich can not spend more than 20 quid on a player?That smug git earns a fair pay packet for telling the press that Norwich are in debt, well done mister state the obviousAs far as im concerned he does not in anyway help the club and should be sacked.Rant over

[/quote]

You''re a great one for theories Fat but I doubt Delia meant herself although I am sure she see''s herself as a fan. Don''t you see her as a fan? When did she make the quote about wanting to see fans on the board? Was it before the Turners stopped being fans and became directors?

The point I was making would be that as soon as the fans representative got on the board they would stop being a fan and become the enemy.

Whoever it was.

Even if it was you [;)]

[/quote]

All I can say nutty is that what Delia wants she usually gets.  She made this comment some years ago.  So if it''s as straightforward as you suggest, why hasn''t it happened?

The Turners may be fans but they are not on the board to represent the fans.  They are on the board because they put £2m into the club.

But talking of theories, your supposition that a fans rep would become the enemy as soon as they got onto the board is purely theoretical.  You may prove to be correct, but unless it actually happens there''s no way of testing it out.

But talking of theories, your supposition that a fans rep would become the enemy as soon as they got onto the board is purely theoretical.  You may prove to be correct, but unless it actually happens there''s no way of testing it out.

[/quote]

It may well be theoretical but it comes from many years experience. As a young boy I remember not being able to understand the hatred behind the zigger zagger chants from the Barclay towards Geoffrey Watling. Strangely nobody remembers it now or ever doubts his credentials as a fan. Arthur South was another who suffered abuse even though he was instrumental in saving the club. Now it''s Delias turn.

Would a fans representative get an easier ride? I doubt it. The fans on the SCG seem to be getting a tough time on here. NCISA get a tough time and are accused of cosying up to the club everytime there''s discontent. One thing''s for sure - I''d hate to be that fan on the board!

Agreed Nutty, whoever the proposed fan was, they are not going to have an easy ride. The only way to do it IMO is to have someone elected and change them at every AGM or other time when the whole of the fan base can have their say. Obviously this would have to be worked out. Someone from NCISA or the Supporters'' Trust maybe.

As for the SCG, I know of at least three people on there who are certainly NOT Delia fans. Anything but. They could however be in the minority, but they are there.

[quote user="astrodyne"]My my Monkey - you really are the intellectual snob aren''t you! [/quote]

And from Metripolitan too.

I wonder if he''d made it to University rather than uni how long he would have survived?

OTBC

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="astrodyne"]My my Monkey - you really are the intellectual snob aren''t you! [/quote]
If your intellect, wit and charm were as great as mine, you would be too... [;)]
[/quote]

A first during your first year at Metripolitan.[:S]

You''d do well in Montana.

OTBC

[/quote]

It may well be theoretical but it comes from many years experience. As a young boy I remember not being able to understand the hatred behind the zigger zagger chants from the Barclay towards Geoffrey Watling. Strangely nobody remembers it now or ever doubts his credentials as a fan. Arthur South was another who suffered abuse even though he was instrumental in saving the club. Now it''s Delias turn.

[/quote]

That''s a completely different issue.  You seem to imply that "saving the club" (whatever that means) gives the club''s majority shareholders immunity from prosecution until the day of doom just because they claim to be fans.  But if they do not keep football at the top of their priority list they don''t deserve to be called fans, and if they do not deliver a club that punches its weight (which is undeniably the case at present) who else apart from the fans is going to take them to task?  And whilst I wouldn''t personally resort to abusive chanting I can understand why people do when their concerns are ignored. 

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s a completely different issue.  You seem to imply that "saving the club" (whatever that means) gives the club''s majority shareholders immunity from prosecution until the day of doom just because they claim to be fans.  But if they do not keep football at the top of their priority list they don''t deserve to be called fans, and if they do not deliver a club that punches its weight (which is undeniably the case at present) who else apart from the fans is going to take them to task?  And whilst I wouldn''t personally resort to abusive chanting I can understand why people do when their concerns are ignored. 

[/quote]

It'' simple really. Two truisms apply.

''The buck stops at the top''.

''Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown''.

''Twas ever thus.

OTBC

[quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What Nutty has written is EXACTLY the issue. The point he makes is that, over time, almost all fans come to see that those with responsibility for the club in the past that fans threw daggers at really had the best interest of the club at heart after all. The same will be true of Delia. Of course, it''s always possible that you may be an exception Fat Pineapple.

The issue of ''punching our weight'' is an interesting one.  I think it is safe to say that we are not one of the biggest 20 clubs in the country so we are not punching below our weight by not being in the Premiership.  However we should be one of the better Championship clubs, which seriously challenges  for promotion every few years and every now or then actually achieves it.  We did achieve it in 2004 and were doing OK at that point, having made the playoff final only 2 years earlier we were clearly ''punching our weight'' for the first half of the decade, but the last 3 seasons have been really disappointing.  If we can stay in the top half and challenge for a playoff place this season, even if ultimately we fall short, I feel we will have pretty much be getting back to punching our weight as one of the better Championship clubs (although it will require us to keep that standard up the following season in order to prove that it wasn''t a one season blip).

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Pineapple"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What Nutty has written is EXACTLY the issue. The point he makes is that, over time, almost all fans come to see that those with responsibility for the club in the past that fans threw daggers at really had the best interest of the club at heart after all. The same will be true of Delia. Of course, it''s always possible that you may be an exception Fat Pineapple.

[/quote]

Yankee I don''t know what godforsaken hour it is in New York but you''re not paying attention.  Can''t you sleep?  The "different issue" I was referring to if you bother to read back is about the difference between the majority shareholders being fans and someone being on the board to represent the fans, not about whether or not the majority shareholder/fans are revered or vilified, or whether such treatment is justified.

fwiw I was around in the mid-60s and I don''t recall anything that could possibly be called a protest against G. Watling.  A few unsavoury chants from the Barclay may have made an impression on the youthful nutty but they''re a world away from calling for his head, which never happened as far as memory serves.  There was a bit more discontent about A. South and not entirely without reason imo.  I don''t think he was ever revered or ever will be.  As for "the same will be true of Delia" only time will tell.

Because NCFC is a PLC and the Board represents the shareholders not the fans. The shareholders have to be the first to be told what is going on and for some reason Delia does not want  to talk (or write) to the shareholders. Any move to sack the Board has to come from the shareholders and I am lost as to why the the fans (and the season ticket holders) do not make some attempt to get the Shareholders Association and other shareholders on their side.

Personally I thnk all this chasing promotion is rubish. I dont want to go to Carrow and watch the team have the S@@@ beaten out of them game after game. The real answer is to stop promotion and relegation between the Championship and the Premiership and to increase the quaity of the Championship to the point it is equal or better than the Premiership.

fwiw I was around in the mid-60s and I don''t recall anything that could possibly be called a protest against G. Watling.  A few unsavoury chants from the Barclay may have made an impression on the youthful nutty but they''re a world away from calling for his head, which never happened as far as memory serves.  There was a bit more discontent about A. South and not entirely without reason imo.  I don''t think he was ever revered or ever will be.  As for "the same will be true of Delia" only time will tell.

[/quote]

Like I said, nobody remembers it now. But it did happen and I guess it was acceptable back in those days. Watling was hated then from the terraces. We had sold Ron Davies and then Hughie Curran for record fees. I remember far more protest against Watling and the board than against Lol Morgan who was finally sacked to make way for Ron Saunders. And don''t go thinking Saunders was popular either because for the first season or so he was as unpopular as Watling. We hardly signed any players and the football was dire.

Arthur South, as Lord Mayor, was responsible for the appeal in that saved the club in 1957 and later, as chairman,  for the change in style at Norwich City. He brought in John Bond and was in charge at the only time I remember us really throwing money at the football side of the club. But that didn''t stop the protests when fans felt they were being short changed. But, looking back, were the protests right?

[quote user="Match Day Pie"]

Looks to me like we won''t be getting any replies from those who are so full of hot air that claim to ''care'' for our club.

What a surprise.

[/quote]

Oh really? When did I ever say I or anyone else were going to protest at the spurs game? As for claiming to "care" about our club, im sorry that i feel 20m put in for players would be a good thing, how foolish of me, we are much better off with a 2m LOAN from the Turners. obviously that makes me a binner doesnt it??????

[quote user="Bobert"]

Because NCFC is a PLC and the Board represents the shareholders not the fans. The shareholders have to be the first to be told what is going on and for some reason Delia does not want  to talk (or write) to the shareholders. Any move to sack the Board has to come from the shareholders and I am lost as to why the the fans (and the season ticket holders) do not make some attempt to get the Shareholders Association and other shareholders on their side.

Personally I thnk all this chasing promotion is rubish. I dont want to go to Carrow and watch the team have the S@@@ beaten out of them game after game. The real answer is to stop promotion and relegation between the Championship and the Premiership and to increase the quaity of the Championship to the point it is equal or better than the Premiership.

[/quote]

And how would you suggest we get the shareholders on our side when most of them claim to be be happy with Delia and the board?  I might not be a shareholder, but when the club was in dire straights, I like many others helped in any way we could afford with whatever little we could afford, even in the past it was down to some of us buying a brick to help get the stand built, some of us season ticket holders would think in some way we do buy into the club each season and have a right to know what''s going on.  So why aren''t the shareholders asking questions of the board?  Maybe because they are happy with their lot and not seeing the bigger picture?  Who knows, but it''s their perogative.

But one thing I do know is that if this season goes belly up, the fans will not sit by and watch this club fail at any cost, regardless of what the shareholders think, they can either jump on board the train or disembark at the cost of the club they love.  It happened with Chase and can happen again, don''t underestimate the power of the fans.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]Yes we are a well run club , its just the football we are crap at , you say if the right buyer comes along , well after turning away Cullum who most fans thought was the best we could hope for do you really believe anybody else is going to fit Delias strict criteria ?. You may not sense any anti Delia feeling now but if results go the wrong way this season people will turn on her very early .As for the SCG , how many members of that elite hand picked group are anti Board and would like Cullum to run the club ? my guess would be not very many .
[/quote]

Firstly I don''t feel elite just trying to do my best and I think most members of the SCG would perhaps support Cullum if he had made a formal offer, but he didn''t and the rest is history.

Thinking about your other comments nobody could disagree that the football has been crap but we could hardly blame Delia for that as the board took lots of advice we are told before appointing two  poor managers.

I do however have a theory as to why fans in our neck of the woods are more pro Delia - a lot of them including myself work/ed in Ipswich and surrounds and Delia is reviled by binner fans because she brought money and celebrity to our club and had the temerity to live in Suffolk.I know lots of Canary fans who flaunt pictures of Delia and use Delia mugs in their office. In contrast Ipswich fans would not have Delia cookbooks in the house.We have stood by and defended Delia and all things Norwich City despite torrents of abuse so perhaps we will be the last to revolt.

[/quote]

Next time you''re having a cozy chat with your friend, why not ask her where is all this lovely new investment that she refered to at the Norfolk Show?

[/quote]

Like I said, nobody remembers it now. But it did happen and I guess it was acceptable back in those days. Watling was hated then from the terraces. We had sold Ron Davies and then Hughie Curran for record fees. I remember far more protest against Watling and the board than against Lol Morgan who was finally sacked to make way for Ron Saunders. And don''t go thinking Saunders was popular either because for the first season or so he was as unpopular as Watling. We hardly signed any players and the football was dire.

Arthur South, as Lord Mayor, was responsible for the appeal in that saved the club in 1957 and later, as chairman,  for the change in style at Norwich City. He brought in John Bond and was in charge at the only time I remember us really throwing money at the football side of the club. But that didn''t stop the protests when fans felt they were being short changed. But, looking back, were the protests right?

[/quote]

Nutty what is it you''re actually saying?  That we should never protest?  That being a football club chairman is a popularity contest? 

The Lol Morgan situation is a perfect illustration of why protest was right.  We were treading water after getting established in Div 2 and beginning to show signs of getting sucked backwards.  The fans knew it and Geoffrey Watling agreed.  Whether he would have replaced Morgan anyway at that particular time, we shall never know.  He didn''t replace Morgan just to appease the fans, but because he thought they were right.  As you say, to begin with they weren''t happy with Saunders either but Watling didn''t agree, had the courage of his convictions and of course he was proved right. 

Protest is part of the warp and weft of football, always has been.  With a chairman like Watling who knew his football and didn''t court popularity for its own sake, it formed a healthy dialogue between the fans and the club.  Unfortunately things are very different now.  Now it seems that the slightest scrap of criticism, however well founded, is an act of treachery. 

Forty years ago (or even 15 years ago) the idea of supporting the board no matter what would have seemed bizarre in the extreme.  Even now I cannot think of another club like ours.  It''s a kind of collective insanity based on a personality cult.  Can only end one way I''m afraid.

[quote user="Geronimo"]
The fact is this Delia is frightened of losing the limelight she has at Norwich City.
If she were able to be a board member/ something in the fans eye and her Pie Shop then im sure she would be happy to hand the club over.
But she can see that if she lost her media spotlight then her books wouldn sell as well, she wouldnt get on TV again and people would forget her.

The thing is too that now its come out that she turned down numerous offers she looks bad, and now IF she sold she would look bad especially if the club were to thrive under Cullum.

I am not attending the friendlies but come the start of the new season if we dont get the results we need ill be joining in with the noise for her out.

As a supporter for as long as ive been watching football (wont say how long dont wanna give out my age) i have never heard about a club that has turned down a billionaire owner not to regret it.

Delia does not have the clubs interest as her priority, Delia is her priority, and as for people saying there arint many Delia haters read the flipping EDP and listen to the banter because beleive you me that there are at least a couple thousand Norfolk and Norwich devotees that dispise Delia Smith (and lets not forget Mr. Wyn- Jones).

Also has anyone noticed that Neil Doncaster seems to make rather a lot of excuses as to why Norwich can not spend more than 20 quid on a player?
That smug git earns a fair pay packet for telling the press that Norwich are in debt, well done mister state the obvious
As far as im concerned he does not in anyway help the club and should be sacked.

Rant over
[/quote]

In a nutshell!  [Y]

Being a big fish in a small pond appeals to those with Smith''s mentality...and the very thought of someone playing with her train set under her nose would be unbearable for her.

Classic "control freakery".....classic "dominant female psyche".....

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[quote user="Geronimo"]
The fact is this Delia is frightened of losing the limelight she has at Norwich City.
If she were able to be a board member/ something in the fans eye and her Pie Shop then im sure she would be happy to hand the club over.
But she can see that if she lost her media spotlight then her books wouldn sell as well, she wouldnt get on TV again and people would forget her.

The thing is too that now its come out that she turned down numerous offers she looks bad, and now IF she sold she would look bad especially if the club were to thrive under Cullum.

I am not attending the friendlies but come the start of the new season if we dont get the results we need ill be joining in with the noise for her out.

As a supporter for as long as ive been watching football (wont say how long dont wanna give out my age) i have never heard about a club that has turned down a billionaire owner not to regret it.

Delia does not have the clubs interest as her priority, Delia is her priority, and as for people saying there arint many Delia haters read the flipping EDP and listen to the banter because beleive you me that there are at least a couple thousand Norfolk and Norwich devotees that dispise Delia Smith (and lets not forget Mr. Wyn- Jones).

Also has anyone noticed that Neil Doncaster seems to make rather a lot of excuses as to why Norwich can not spend more than 20 quid on a player?
That smug git earns a fair pay packet for telling the press that Norwich are in debt, well done mister state the obvious
As far as im concerned he does not in anyway help the club and should be sacked.

Rant over[/quote]In a nutshell!  [Y]

Being a big fish in a small pond appeals to those with Smith''s mentality...and the very thought of someone playing with her train set under her nose would be unbearable for her.

Classic "control freakery".....classic "dominant female psyche".....[/quote]Whenever I hear the word ''cluck'' I tend to think of a broody hen but this quote is defiately that of a strutting little cock! lol  [:D]