Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 III

7 down, how many to go?

We''ve got a right back, a left back, a centre back, a centre midfielder, a right winger, a left winger and a striker. Will we make it a whole new team and bring in a keeper, another centre back, another midfielder and another striker?

I reckon we will. A back up keeper is a neccessity (sp?), as is a target man and I would be surprised if these two positions were not resolved by the time we face Coventry. Then take into account that Arsene Wenger has not begun loaning his youngsters out yet, and that we have been heavily linked with the return of Kieron Gibbs in midfield and Gavin Hoyte at centre half on loan.

Roeder said we wouldn''t recognise the team next season - buying a new one in seems excessive!!!

I think another center back and a striker, the problem will, despite all the signings, be if we get injuries.  No strength in depth judging by the academy/fringe players.

I would hazard a guess and say...

1 keeper permanent

1 CB loan, Stefanovic is left footed so we need another right footed player

1 striker permanent, a great big hulking lump of a forward

I will also put my neck on the line and say we will be contenders next season.

i think 2 strikers (steve howard, ameobi), centre back (david edger) and keeper <well saw that nelson in goal last night and he could be a backup but maybe 3rd keeper choice> (so maybe joe lewis back or ben foster on loan)

what do think?

[quote user="jordimurrell"]

i think 2 strikers (steve howard, ameobi), centre back (david edger) and keeper <well saw that nelson in goal last night and he could be a backup but maybe 3rd keeper choice> (so maybe joe lewis back or ben foster on loan)

what do think?

[/quote]

Some good ideas JM [:)]

*COUGH COUGH*

[quote user="AndyJR"]I think another center back and a striker, the problem will, despite all the signings, be if we get injuries.  No strength in depth judging by the academy/fringe players.

[/quote]

Have to disagree with this. If we do get a CB and a CF (Kennedy and Sibierski for arguments sake) then I think we do have squad depth for the first time in a long while with the exception of a back-up keeper. Take a look, I don''t think we need much more:

Marshall

Semmy   Kennedy   Stefanovic   Bertrand

Bell      Russell      Clingan      Hoolihan

Lupoli      Sibierski

Back-up Keeper

Omosuzi      Doherty   Shackell      Drury

Croft            Fozzy      Pattison       Chadwick

Cureton      Martin

As you say, I''d like to see the CB and CF come in along with a back-up keeper. I then believe we''ll have a strong squad with at least two players for each position. There are also players that can play more than one position listed below so I think our squad depth is now OK.

Omosuzi (RB, CB)

Stefanovic (CB, LB)

Bertrand (LB, LM)

Pattison (CM, LM)

Russell (CM, RM)

Bell (RM, CM, LM)

Chadwick (RM, CM, LM)

Add to this the possibility of a couple more loans in Gibbs and another Striker and I wouldn''t want to see anyone else coming in without shipping some the other way. I don''t want players becoming unsettled with a lack of first team football!

Yep, would definitely agree with Rusty Steel about strength in depth. We do for the first time in a very long time appear to be very close to the two players for every position rule - and got to say I don''t think our reserve side is actually a bad side either.

We need a good, experienced keeper to play back up to Marshy. Nelson seemingly was poor yesterday, so I''d be looking at either Mark Tyler from Peterborough or Mart Poom from Watford. Both would be available cheaply.

Assuming we sign John Kennedy, that''s our defence very much sorted IMO. If we miss out on Kennedy, Jordi''s suggestion of David Edgar is a good shout and he''d do well for us.

Midfield is well and truely sorted now, I don''t think we need to add to it whatsoever.

Up front we need two more strikers, IMO. I don''t think Chris Martin is yet up to life in the first team and I would rather see the lad farmed out on loan. As I understand it, though, he doesn''t actually want to go out on loan. I still would love to see Sibierski and someone with exceptional pace like Nathan Tyson to do for us what Danny Haynes does for Ipswich.

So, one keeper, one defender and two strikers for me and we''ve got a good squad.

[quote user="jordimurrell"]

what do think?

[/quote]

your an animal. how do you keep coming up with these brilliant names ?

[quote user="Rusty Steele"]

[quote user="AndyJR"]I think another center back and a striker, the problem will, despite all the signings, be if we get injuries.  No strength in depth judging by the academy/fringe players.

[/quote]

Have to disagree with this. If we do get a CB and a CF (Kennedy and Sibierski for arguments sake) then I think we do have squad depth for the first time in a long while with the exception of a back-up keeper. Take a look, I don''t think we need much more:

Marshall

Semmy   Kennedy   Stefanovic   Bertrand

Bell      Russell      Clingan      Hoolihan

Lupoli      Sibierski

Back-up Keeper

Omosuzi      Doherty   Shackell      Drury

Croft            Fozzy      Pattison       Chadwick

Cureton      Martin

As you say, I''d like to see the CB and CF come in along with a back-up keeper. I then believe we''ll have a strong squad with at least two players for each position. There are also players that can play more than one position listed below so I think our squad depth is now OK.

Omosuzi (RB, CB)

Stefanovic (CB, LB)

Bertrand (LB, LM)

Pattison (CM, LM)

Russell (CM, RM)

Bell (RM, CM, LM)

Chadwick (RM, CM, LM)

Add to this the possibility of a couple more loans in Gibbs and another Striker and I wouldn''t want to see anyone else coming in without shipping some the other way. I don''t want players becoming unsettled with a lack of first team football!

[/quote]

interresting ideas on having stefanovic as a left back. not really sure he would have the pace there ..

OTBC wrote:

interresting ideas on having stefanovic as a left back. not really sure he would have the pace there ..

He played at left back for Pompey for a while albeit a year or so ago now. Having seen the Doc playing Right Back, Stefanovic at left back wouldn''t worry me in the slightest. I don''t actually see him having to play there for us, I was just making a point about squad depth and cover in an emergency.

We''re definitely close.  2 strikers, 1 CB and a GK and we''re there.  I''d like to see 2 quality strikers though, ones who are going to make the current crop really fight for their places.  Sibierski and Ameobi together would be absolutely awesome and would give Lupoli and Cureton something to think about whilst Martin is shipped out on loan to grab goals without inflating his ego further... Oh, and let''s not forget Makiese, will be interesting to see if he lines up on Monday night....Canary02 III, you going to the Colchester game or giving it a miss?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]We''re definitely close.  2 strikers, 1 CB and a GK and we''re there.  I''d like to see 2 quality strikers though, ones who are going to make the current crop really fight for their places.  Sibierski and Ameobi together would be absolutely awesome and would give Lupoli and Cureton something to think about whilst Martin is shipped out on loan to grab goals without inflating his ego further... Oh, and let''s not forget Makiese, will be interesting to see if he lines up on Monday night....

Canary02 III, you going to the Colchester game or giving it a miss?
[/quote]

No, don''t do friendlies. Can''t abide part-timers and kids with those bloody blowers. Will call you r.e. bbq later in the week.

I''d like us to get Tyler, Rigters, Carroll and Rob Jones of Hibs.