Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

My hope for Glenn?

My hope for Glenn Roeder is that after his brave and massive housecleaning he is able to get in the players who can and want to play football the way he wants it played.

This is fundamental.

If so, I predict a promotion challenge rather like under Archie Macaulay and Ron Saunders. If not, we shall certainly be dicing with relegation again with Glenn gone by Xmas and Peter Cullum in the drivers seat seeking to save the club from League 1.

Even the best of football managers need a bit of luck to run their way.

So. Good luck Glenn.

OTBC

Echo those words 100% BBB.

One worry I have is will he get the time to get this team playing that way? We are only three players (IMHO-a goalie, versatile defender, one in the Darren Kenton mould, ideally!, and a targetman, think we are all expecting it to be Howard?) from having a squad that will have a lot more about it than those of recent years.

The old cliche of "bedding in" usually applies when so many new players arrive at a club, and, if that means we are mid-table and doing nothing special by Christmas, will there be rumours of discontent?

I guess it depends on how we are playing, if we are looking good and there is some semblance of shape and team coming together, then we will all look forward to seeing how far it can go. The big worry I have is, if things don''t immediately gel, then Glenn, unlike Worthy, won''t have much time for the critics and dissenters and may well walk out, our coaching team* would almost follow foot and we''d be back to aquare one.

Mind you, thats early Sunday morning pessimism! Overall, am optimistic and can see things being a little more hopeful than they have been for a while. I do also wonder if JC might feel the weight of pressure and expectation off him this season and gert amongst the glaos regularly and early on.

Roeder also needs to be lucky with injuries. We seem to have a curse at this club for key players getting ruled out. I have faith in Roeder and the way he has handled the transfer market. The players he has so far brought in this summer have been good, but if, say, Hoolahan, Lupoli and another were to get injured we would be in a difficult situation. It''s about time we had better luck with injuries - I hope Roeder has that luck. I agree that we still need a GK, another CB and a striker for the squad, but I''m happy to trust Roeder and his judgement on the players he brings in. No Strihavkas, Brelliers or Murrays.... 

have a look at Roeders huistory in his 2nd season at a club....

My hopes are that it doesnt go belly up....

jas :)

A lot of people have brought up his ''second season syndrome''. Fair enough - I hope it doesn''t go belly-up as well. I''ve been impressed with the players he''s brought in so far, though, and if he can get the players responding to him then we should start going forwards again. I agree, it''s a concern though - however, I''m happy to stay positive for now! We''ll soon see how it''s taking shape. 

[quote user="Fergie"]

Roeder also needs to be lucky with injuries. We seem to have a curse at this club for key players getting ruled out.

[/quote]That''s the crucial point. When we won promotion, we had all the key players available for selection throughout the second part of the season. I don''t believe in "squad" players for a Club like ours - you need 22 first-team players if you''re going to be able to deal with injuries. We certainly don''t have that at the moment (Dereham 2 - 1 Norwich City XI!).

Forgot to say why I used the *

In relation to the coaching team, was just thinking of Stephenson being looked upon as a future Manager of the club-young, bedded in, good reputation, took the shadow team to Dereham. Also frighteningly ambitious to achieve a lot in the game from what I have heard.

Our manager and his reputation/contacts, as well as Clark and Stephenson have obviously been a big pull for some players this Summer-you wondered just how much people would have thought "wow, a chance to work with Peter Grant/Doug Livermore" et al in previous years?

Roeder is certainly more a coach than a manager and our set up now refects that I think, with Clark, I would imagine, being there as the buffer, as the "mate" and the go-between between GR and the squad. I certainly think getting him on board was, and remains, a bit of a coup, and can''t see him being here for long, as he will have admirers elsewhere, especially if we have even a half decent season.

I wrote this the other day in response to a Neil Adams thread but I think what I say about Roeder is relevant to this thread

This is a silly post because reinstatement of Neil Adams is never going to happen. Roeder wouldn''t want him back and I doubt that Adams would want to go back anyway. What follows is only my opinion......... but Roeder is a man under huge pressure, he has never achieved anything of note as a manager, the NCFC job is last chance saloon for him and, against that background, I find him very tense and spiteful towards anybody he sees as being not on message, players and staff alike. Not necessarily a criticism on my part because I understand that when people are in the spotlight and under continued pressure they can make errors of judgement. And I think that his public castigation of Adams (and I don''t think there is any doubt about who he was referring to) was a bad error which will come back to haunt him. Not clever to make an enemy of an ex Norwich player who served his club well, who most fans have good memories of, who stayed in Norfolk because he and his family love the place and who commentates on Norwich matches and chairs Canary Call which although mocked by so many on here is nevetheless listened to by many, me included. When this new season starts, GR will not be able to hide behind the claim that it''s not his team so if the team that he has assembled doesn''t do the business, even does badly, the mood will quickly change "big time" ................... and Neil Adams will be taking your calls !

and Arguido wrote :    I think that Roeder lost alot of friends by seeking to humilitate Adams in public in the way he did, assuming of course it was Adams he was making reference to. Most of us think it was. When I think of Roeder, the expression "pride comes before a fall" come to mind. I wonder why ?

You cannot be a club employee and an independent commentator at the same time.  Like most before him who have attempted same Mr Adams snagged his testicles on the razor wire.

Can any of you seriously imagine any of Ferguson''s backroom staff offering an opinion in public on his team selection and getting away with it?

I think depedning on what/how many strikers we sign, we could be pushing for a play-off place, it is also down to luck though, if we can get wins instead of draws ( that would have helped in our wonder 14 game streak last season) then we should be able to get there :D

Agreed, Roeder has to deliver this season now he''s got the players he wants around him and culled what he saw as the has-beens or the never will be''s.Even if he makes a pig''s ear of it and we finish 16th, I''ll always regard him as a decent NCFC manager for keeping us in the championship last season.  I am however confident we''ll do better than that and finish at least top half.

I think it will be an achievement if we finish anywhere near mid-table. Can''t say I''m looking forward to listening to the idiotic Delia haters who will be willing a bad start just to try and make their feeble point.

[quote user="AndyJR"]I think it will be an achievement if we finish anywhere near mid-table. Can''t say I''m looking forward to listening to the idiotic Delia haters who will be willing a bad start just to try and make their feeble point.[/quote]Suggest you leave then.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

You cannot be a club employee and an independent commentator at the same time.  Like most before him who have attempted same Mr Adams snagged his testicles on the razor wire.

Can any of you seriously imagine any of Ferguson''s backroom staff offering an opinion in public on his team selection and getting away with it?

[/quote]

I don''t think anybody disagrees with this point. Where my opinion differs from yours is this : it was Roeder who shafted himself not Adams. Even if Roeder believed that Adams'' comments were extreme which they weren''t and even if decided to dispense with Adams''services the intelligent thing to have done would have been to have had a face to face, calm discussion with Adams pointing out the conflict of interests and therefore explaining the reason for dismissal. Friendly and amicable. The unintelligent thing to have done was exactly what Roeder did do, publicly slag off a local journalist which, in my opinion was disingenuous and deceitful because everybody knew who Roeder was referring to. More importantly, thereby making an enemy of a highly regarded ex-Norwich player who will now be free to criticise Roeder on air whenever he wants to whereas in the past I am sure that Adams did hold back apart from the exception that we all know about. If the team and Roeder don''t deliver supporters of Norwich will tune into Canary Call in their droves to listen to Adams'' uninhibited opinions. I doubt that he will hold back, do you ? And who would blame him.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Echo those words 100% BBB.

One worry I have is will he get the time to get this team playing that way? We are only three players (IMHO-a goalie, versatile defender, one in the Darren Kenton mould, ideally!, and a targetman, think we are all expecting it to be Howard?) from having a squad that will have a lot more about it than those of recent years.

The old cliche of "bedding in" usually applies when so many new players arrive at a club, and, if that means we are mid-table and doing nothing special by Christmas, will there be rumours of discontent?

I guess it depends on how we are playing, if we are looking good and there is some semblance of shape and team coming together, then we will all look forward to seeing how far it can go. The big worry I have is, if things don''t immediately gel, then Glenn, unlike Worthy, won''t have much time for the critics and dissenters and may well walk out, our coaching team* would almost follow foot and we''d be back to aquare one.

Mind you, thats early Sunday morning pessimism! Overall, am optimistic and can see things being a little more hopeful than they have been for a while. I do also wonder if JC might feel the weight of pressure and expectation off him this season and gert amongst the glaos regularly and early on.

[/quote]

v good post OS, think you are spot on, if we are playing some decent football then the fans will be more patient, it is going to take time for this number of new players to bed in, and get a style of play and understanding going. Hope it''s Ameobi or Rasiak rather than Howard though.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

My hope for Glenn Roeder is that after his brave and massive housecleaning he is able to get in the players who can and want to play football the way he wants it played.

This is fundamental.

If so, I predict a promotion challenge rather like under Archie Macaulay and Ron Saunders. If not, we shall certainly be dicing with relegation again with Glenn gone by Xmas and Peter Cullum in the drivers seat seeking to save the club from League 1.

Even the best of football managers need a bit of luck to run their way.

So. Good luck Glenn.

OTBC

My big question mark is whether or not he has been able to get in the type of players defined above.

I don''t know. Nor do the vast majority of us.

Popular perception is that he has had to recruit from List Q because of the skinny transfer budget and the rejection of Peter Cullum''s overtures.

But if he really has been able to get in the right players with the right attitude (even from  list Q)who want to play his way, then a Macaulay/Saunders situation could possibly develop. Long odds against, but possible.

One thing though, it''s a lot more interesting than last close season.

OTBC

[/quote]

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I don''t think anybody disagrees with this point. Where my opinion differs from yours is this : it was Roeder who shafted himself not Adams. Even if Roeder believed that Adams'' comments were extreme which they weren''t and even if decided to dispense with Adams''services the intelligent thing to have done would have been to have had a face to face, calm discussion with Adams pointing out the conflict of interests and therefore explaining the reason for dismissal. Friendly and amicable. The unintelligent thing to have done was exactly what Roeder did do, publicly slag off a local journalist which, in my opinion was disingenuous and deceitful because everybody knew who Roeder was referring to. More importantly, thereby making an enemy of a highly regarded ex-Norwich player who will now be free to criticise Roeder on air whenever he wants to whereas in the past I am sure that Adams did hold back apart from the exception that we all know about. If the team and Roeder don''t deliver supporters of Norwich will tune into Canary Call in their droves to listen to Adams'' uninhibited opinions. I doubt that he will hold back, do you ? And who would blame him.

[/quote]

I think the problem is that we don''t know what else may have gone on.  Around the time of the original incident it was suggested to us that this was by no means the first falling out but we''ve never been able to establish what it was about.

It remains that Mr Adams was in a ridiculous position.  It never, ever works.  It always ends either in tears before teatime or by the person concerned not being able to say what he or she really thinks. 

Camul is right that Adams was in an untenable position, but surely the initial fault lay with which ever radio station (Radio Norfolk?) offered Adams the position. It should have chosen as an analyst someone who was not employed by the club and so would have been seen as impartial. Either that, or made the offer conditional on Adams severing his links with the club.

PS. Camul, why Camuldonum and not Camulodunum? Or shouldn’t one ask?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Popular perception is that he has had to recruit from List Q [/quote]I think you''ll find that your perception has never been popular, Bly.... You can''t make something up and expect it to be true because you quote your own posts, its gonna take a lot more than that to convince me that Roeder wasn''t chasing some of his targets for a long time.... not the mark of someone down to List Q now, is it?

Off topic (shock horror) but is that Mal Reynolds is your avatar Mr. Monkey?To Bly I shall utalise a quote from this character - My days of not taking you seriously are definately coming to a middle.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Camul is right that Adams was in an untenable position, but surely the initial fault lay with which ever radio station (Radio Norfolk?) offered Adams the position. It should have chosen as an analyst someone who was not employed by the club and so would have been seen as impartial. Either that, or made the offer conditional on Adams severing his links with the club.

PS. Camul, why Camuldonum and not Camulodunum? Or shouldn’t one ask?

[/quote]

I''d like to claim some historical reason but the truth is more mundane. When the first soccer boards started up at Colchester there were so many camuls there was almost a herd.  I couldn''t have the original name so I went with what was closest.  Most people don''t notice but this being such a scholarly board you can''t get away with anything!

Tragically the original Camulodonum got in with the wrong sort and has subsequently morphed, I believe, into Barside Bob.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Popular perception is that he has had to recruit from List Q [/quote]
I think you''ll find that your perception has never been popular, Bly.... You can''t make something up and expect it to be true because you quote your own posts, its gonna take a lot more than that to convince me that Roeder wasn''t chasing some of his targets for a long time.... not the mark of someone down to List Q now, is it?
[/quote]

Roeder''s not stupid. He''s been chasing targets on all his lists fron A to Z like a smart fellow because in the absence of a certain budget he''s had to keep all his irons in the fire.

It''s just that his secret budget has turned out to be skinnier than hoped and so he''s hadd to go as low as List Q for some signings.

I reckon it''s a good job that Glenn isn''t a Metripolitan man - I mean imagine the pickle that he''d be in if he started counting his chickens before they were hatched.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Popular perception is that he has had to recruit from List Q [/quote]I think you''ll find that your perception has never been popular, Bly.... You can''t make something up and expect it to be true because you quote your own posts, its gonna take a lot more than that to convince me that Roeder wasn''t chasing some of his targets for a long time.... not the mark of someone down to List Q now, is it?[/quote]

Roeder''s not stupid. He''s been chasing targets on all his lists fron A to Z like a smart fellow because in the absence of a certain budget he''s had to keep all his irons in the fire.

It''s just that his secret budget has turned out to be skinnier than hoped and so he''s hadd to go as low as List Q for some signings.

I reckon it''s a good job that Glenn isn''t a Metripolitan man - I mean imagine the pickle that he''d be in if he started counting his chickens before they were hatched.

OTBC

[/quote]

Of course Roeder isn''t stupid, he would have known and accepted his budget for transfers and wages when he signed his contract. He will have been working on his transfer targets list with his budget in mind since January. Do you honestly think he didn''t know his budget until AFTER the Cullum talks broke down? Honestly really?

We have signed some excellent looking players. When he does let a player go who is obviously from a lower list than say Lupoli, like Pistol Pete going to Stockport (from the Northern Irish league for god''s sake), you moan that we are ''unable to compete'' with Stockport.

If you aren''t a troll, your analytical skills are extremely poor.

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Popular perception is that he has had to recruit from List Q [/quote]
I think you''ll find that your perception has never been popular, Bly.... You can''t make something up and expect it to be true because you quote your own posts, its gonna take a lot more than that to convince me that Roeder wasn''t chasing some of his targets for a long time.... not the mark of someone down to List Q now, is it?
[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Of course Roeder isn''t stupid, he would have known and accepted his budget for transfers and wages when he signed his contract. He will have been working on his transfer targets list with his budget in mind since January. Do you honestly think he didn''t know his budget until AFTER the Cullum talks broke down? Honestly really?

We have signed some excellent looking players. When he does let a player go who is obviously from a lower list than say Lupoli, like Pistol Pete going to Stockport (from the Northern Irish league for god''s sake), you moan that we are ''unable to compete'' with Stockport.

[/quote]

If I am a troll would that make my analytical skills good?

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

Personally, I would be happy to see us stay well away from the bottom in the first half of the season and then see where the second half takes us.  There are sure to be (as others pointed out) some bedding in issues and as we all know, it''s not how you start in this league it''s how you finish.  In regards to the signings made, we are going to have to trust that these are the players Roeder did actually want and he can work with them because what we so badly need now is for a squad to settle for a couple of seasons.  We have had far too many "clear-outs" recently and I don''t know how much damage another one would do.  It''s scary to think that just 2 seasons ago we started the campaign with Worthington in charge, yet only 3 players in the squad are his signings.  We only have 7 of Grants left and Lappin''s days seemed numbered, and a few more look to have a real fight on to get in the side.Roeder has been true to his word though and the squad is really starting to take shape.With the defence and midfield now seemingly sorted another striker or two are absolute priority, although it will be interesting to see if we lose one or two midfielders out of Chadwick, Croft and Russell.Injuries aside, I am looking forward to a season without relegation worries but I honestly beleive Roeder will not settle for that and that could make a big difference..

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

If I am a troll would that make my analytical skills good?

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

If you''re a troll do you live in a hole and did you really post this at 5.13 this morning ?