Sign in to follow this  
Del-Boy

WORTHY'S SIGNINGS

It''s amazing how people''s opion has changed over the last few seasons.
There''s people on the message board saying i''ll trust worthy with bring quality players to the club.I''ll be the first to say all his signings apart from the loans of Elvis and Harper have been brillant.
However he also brought players such as Heckingbottom,briggs,Easton,Neilsen,Emblem,Libbra,Rivers and Abbey to the club.
I hope i''m proved wrong but i can''t help but feel that out of the 4m he might spend in the summer 1 or 2 are gonna be duds.

On The Ball City

in my view of things most of the above players have had a bad run of luck ! it only seems a short time ago rivers was running the game against chelsea in the fa cup at carrow road only to be stopped by cudacini ! for the time libbra was here i thought he showed some good touches him attitude just didnt seem right ! emblem and abbey were just hit at the wrong time by bad injuries easton i have never liked and never will briggs has yet to be given a real chance some what of a shame really
keep the faith !

i think you will find he has learnt from his mistakes because none of those signings are recent ones. he has been very shrewd in the last year right back to preseason wen he didnt panic and buy the first striker that came along, instead he waited until the right option even tho it meant the season was 5 games old. i think we owe him some faith on this, afterall look at what he has done

even the best makes ricks - harry redknapp has made some amazing signings in his time but who could forget the failue of paolo futre? And Wenger, for all his Toures, Pires'' & Henrys still bought RWright, Luzhny, Cygan and Stepanovs. And Allardyce may have worked wonders with JJ, Youri, Campo & co but Jardel didnt last long and Moreno has hardly set the world alight.

As such you will have failures and that is why I cant see worthy putting all his eggs in one basket in the summer and will look for a couple of players in each position - that way at least one of them is likely to make an impact.

However his most recent signings seem to show he has a better idea about the type of player he wants both on and off the pitch to improvethe team. If he gets it wrong its one of those things. I have faith that he will pull some good rabbits out of the bag but we will probably get a stepanovs too - such is the way of life when you are looking to add 5-6 players.

otbc

you can''t blame worthy for an injury that kept emblem out of the reckoning for so long, abbey too, though have to admit, when he has played he has never convinced me, don''t know if that is due to not being fully fit though

rivers - he has shown brilliance at times, but is not consistent enough - and libbra, surely did enough to be played at the time he was here, wouldn''t get a look in now though

briggs, haven''t seen enough of him

but look at the great buys - including the one and only DH

i would trust him to get in the right sort of players, he must know what areas need strengthening and we all know their attitude counts for more than anything, so yes, i have faith in him to buy the right players

but as for thinking about who they might be, not yet, let''s concentrate on securing the championship, we can do our dreaming and speculating in the summer

I have been an avid critic of Mr W in the past and have had severe doubts about his "man management" as witnessed by his treatment of Heckingbottom; Briggs; Nielsen etc.
Further, some of his team selections and tactics, in the past, have been strange to say the least, coupled with his past insinstence not to make substitutions when they were obviously needed to everyone else in the ground.
However, in the past few months he has clearly "grown into the job". It would be difficult to criticise any of his signings this season, (possibly Harper?), and in the main his selections and tactics have been spot on - if we forget the period of time when he insisted on hanging Henderson out to dry.
The team is so much better for having Edworthy;Brennan;Francis;Svensson;McKenzie and Hucks as permanent additions, and it would be stupid to deny that Crouch and Cooper were anything other than excellent loans.
So, given that this year he has been very astute with his signings, I think we should trust his judgement for next season.

It seems that Worthy has bought some turkeys in the past (norfolk for life), but it was mostly when he was restricted by a tight budget and city had little to attract good players - e.g low wages and, at the time, unrealsitic promotion hopes. Now he has a bit more money and the prospect of premier league football to tempt the right players with.