Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Totally Pathetic....No excuses

We lost 1-5 in my opinion this is pathetic and not a good sign of things to come.  Is this meant to be Glens rebuild because if so I have serious concerns ahead for the sesason.  Below please find my list of reasons for this:

• We conceded 5 goals at home....not good enough for a top 6 championship side if thst is what we are trying to be
  • Spurs are not the greatest side and did not even play their start striker Berbatov
  • Only scored 1 goal and did not look like getting many more
  • Most of our signings seem second rate and not as good as many of the players we have let go or sold over the last year or so
  • I do not agree that it was not a game to win etc etc... all games are to win and this can only have served to knock confidence 
  • I would not mind losing if we had played well, shown flare, pace and skill but all seemed lacking
  • Need a goalscorer now or we will stuggle
  • Dont believe in excuses
  • Do not believe we have the quality and drive in the board, manager or players to challenge for promotion

I do hope I am wrong but these are my strong beliefs.   All in all I am feeling fed up before we have even got started. It seems like we have little more to look forward to than a mid table finish at best and some very average football.  We all deserve better!

OTBC

St.John 

We were playing Spurs who had a £16.5m striker up front. De Santos tore us apart but cost them the same amount as a small island & we will not face anyone anywhere near as good as them next season unless its in the cup! Get a little perspective FFS!!!

The purpose of this game was to generate money, not be a competitive match.  Spurs bear no resemblence whatsoever to anyone we will play in the league this year.

They are a different class to us.  They should be. De Dantos and Bent alone cost over £34m!! 

In a competitive match the only way to slow down a team like that with much better players than you  is to get stuck in and rough them up a bit to break their rhythm.  In a friendly you can''t do that - it will be part of a gentlemen''s agreement between the teams.  If you do start roughing them up no decent team will ever play you in a friendly again.

As a result we couldn''t get the ball off them and thus (rather obviously) couldn''t really do much of anything in an attacking sense.

Friendlies bear no relation to league games - especially ones like this against ''glamour'' opposition.   We got a full house, which was the aim of the game.  Nothing else matters.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

We lost 1-5 in my opinion this is pathetic and not a good sign of things to come.  Is this meant to be Glens rebuild because if so I have serious concerns ahead for the sesason.  Below please find my list of reasons for this:

• We conceded 5 goals at home....not good enough for a top 6 championship side if thst is what we are trying to be

• Spurs are not the greatest side and did not even play their start striker Berbatov

• Most of our signings seem second rate and not as good as many of the players we have let go or sold over the last year or so

• I do not agree that it was not a game to win etc etc... all games are to win and this can only have served to knock confidence 

• I would not mind losing if we had played well, shown flare, pace and skill but all seemed lacking

• Do not believe we have the quality and drive in the board, manager or players to challenge for promotion

I do hope I am wrong but these are my strong beliefs.   All in all I am feeling fed up before we have even got started. It seems like we have little more to look forward to than a mid table finish at best and some very average football.  We all deserve better!

OTBC

St.John 

[/quote]

Last night was a team minus Lupoli, Bell, Kennedy, Drury, The new CB, The new young Striker, and the Other Big Stiker due in 7-14 days. That lot could make a big difference

Actually the first half we played really well, hoolahan looks to be a fantastic signing.

Our problems happened when Bertrand went off and Matty "cant play football" pattison was put at left back!! Spurs plays were just strolling past him. At least two possibly 3 of the goals were his bad defending.

Calm down, new signings take time to bed in and I''m sure GR is the man to take Norwich City forward.Spurs did pass it around better but they are a Premiership team albeit a mid-table one.Dos Santos and Modric looked like good prospects but then so did Hoolahan who IMO would''ve slotted into the Spurs side nicely.It''s a shame NC didnt attack more because Spurs are frail at the back, in the second half they had 2 DM''s playing at centre half!Pattison looked like a duck out of water but he was left exposed a few times and Lennon is an international winger again albeit a mediocre one.A season is judged over many games not a friendly which in truth had both teams playing at 60% capacity.The only real difference for me was that Spurs were able to knock it around crisply and accurately, and that they had a 16m striker, albeit one they would sell in a heartbeat.If the performances are that bad well into the winter then start to panic and complain.Come on you Yellows

Last night was a team minus Lupoli, Bell, Kennedy, Drury, The new CB, The new young Striker, and the Other Big Stiker due in 7-14 days. That lot could make a big difference

very true

In August 2001 we got totally outclassed at home by Arsenal in a pre-season friendly and it turned out to be a pretty good season.

OTBC

St.John 

[/quote]

Like you said... these are your STRONG beliefs... i think you''re a little bit ott... i mean not interested in excuses? that basically says you won''t listen to reason doesn''t it?!

First of all, Drury, Doherty, Kennedy, Lupoli, Bell were all unavailable... Stefanovic had never played for us before... we are STILL trying to sign a new striker...

Secondly... Tottenham are a bloody good team... i think their keeper cost more than our whole team put together...

Thirdly, in the second half we had a left midfielder at left back, right back at centre back and throughout we played one up front as we only have one senior striker currently available...

Don''t read too much into this result... if the score line is the same against colchester...THEN you can post a mailing like this with fair reason and concern.

[quote user="Iwan is God"]We were playing Spurs who had a £16.5m striker up front. De Santos tore us apart but cost them the same amount as a small island & we will not face anyone anywhere near as good as them next season unless its in the cup! Get a little perspective FFS!!![/quote]

Quite right, the clear differnces last night were:

1. Premiership striker quality on display for Spurs (even with Berbatov)

2. Premiership quality distribution and ball retention in midfield.

3. Our inability to get any support to Cureton when we did get the ball which meant (especially in the second half) it just kept coming back at us.  A big man is an absolute must before Coventry.

4. Pattison makes you yearn for Andy Hughes

That said we are not going to face a team that retains possession that well very often next season; that moves that well off the ball (even at half pace) to create spaces for their strikers; or who have players the likes of Dos Santos, Huddleston, Bale, Lennon, Bent etc.  Yes we were outclassed (I went with a Spurs supporting mate and was embarrassed in the second half as we chased shadows) but as he pointed out that is the gulf between Premiership and the rest now and money talks (and Spurs have spent a lot puttng that side together to make a push on Europe).

I suspect we will look different at the Ricoh in two weeks time - but actually this performance ought to serve as a wake up call to anyone who thinks our signings have turned us into a side pushing for the top of the table.  Realistically our squad (with a couple of the further additions Roeder keeps predicting) should do better than last season but real playoff contenders?  - I dont think so.

James

No excuses does not mean I will not listen to a good well thought out reasons.  I think some of the points raised do give good reason especially that a lot of our players need to come back in.  But I do not buy its just a friendly and they are premiership. This is the team we want to bring us premiership football so they should not be so far behing would you not agree?  I have played sport all my life and never want to lose, so this friendly it does not matter to me is an excuse. 

I hope we improve and the team gels and the new players come in and make a difference but I have big concerns over arre quality throughout the team, coaching staff and board.

Good debate though

OTBC

St.John

There''s some wonderful examples of clutching at straws on here today!

Last nights result was unimportant, however, our performance was, and quite frankly I''m very concerned!

..........This is the team we want to bring us premiership football ...........

[/quote]Clearly not the case. This is the first step towards getting out of relegation dog- fights & heading for the top 6. The team last night was about 5 players short of one that could survive in the Premiership. Bit of patience required I think.

OTBC

St.John 

[/quote] Except for the fourth point about the new players and possibly the last point (given that he has a three year plan) I very much doubt if Glenn Roeder would disagree with you.  We are at the beginning of a substantial rebuilding plan.  It will not all come right the first game or even the first season.   Get some perspective here.

[quote user="mr carra"]In August 2001 we got totally outclassed at home

by Arsenal in a pre-season friendly and it turned out to be a pretty

good season.[/quote]

I believe we also lost our first league game 4-0 to Milwall... means

nothing this early on, I''d rather we were performing in March and April

than in pre-season...

I''m sorry you are deluding yourself if you think Hollahan could get into the spurs side!! He is an average to good championship player, nowehere near the standard for the premier league!

[quote user="Iwan is God"]We were playing Spurs who had a £16.5m striker up front. De Santos tore us apart but cost them the same amount as a small island & we will not face anyone anywhere near as good as them next season unless its in the cup! Get a little perspective FFS!!![/quote]DOS Santos. I believe he cost us around £4.5mil. Perhaps there are some small land masses just off Africa you could buy for that though??? I don''t think £4.5mil is a great deal of money for a player.Although the rest of what you say is pretty sensible.

Why is there any surprise? Another lorry load of journeymen have come in to replace the lorry load that left...so it''s pretty much a "no-change" scenario.

To be fair it was only a friendly but the lack of cohesion stood out a mile against a Spurs side playing at a stroll. If our lot were out to impress (as they should have been) it doesn''t bode well.

Be afraid fantasists...be very afraid indeed.........

Cheer up

*   We weren''t allowed to tackle. Fozzie on Modric is an example. They wouldn''t have scored 5 in FA cup match.

*    Spurs are not the greatest side however how many other teams gave wengers occassionally magnificent gunners the runaround last year?

*   We only played one up front cos we need and will be signing some more forwards. Patience!

*   Holahan''s first half was the equal of dos santos/modric''s.

*    We won''t be playing spurs in the championship.

*    Darren Bent cost them more than PC offered for our entire club.

You dont believe in excuses but hopefully this will calm you down a little.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

Why is there any surprise? Another lorry load of journeymen have come in to replace the lorry load that left...so it''s pretty much a "no-change" scenario.

To be fair it was only a friendly but the lack of cohesion stood out a mile against a Spurs side playing at a stroll. If our lot were out to impress (as they should have been) it doesn''t bode well.

[/quote]

Of course there was a lack of cohesion. It was the first time they had played together. Defence was piss poor second half admittedly. Anyone who thinks WHoolahan is a mere journeyman probably wasn''t watching very carefully or doesn''t know a good footballer from his own arse.

James

No excuses does not mean I will not listen to a good well thought out reasons.  I think some of the points raised do give good reason especially that a lot of our players need to come back in.  But I do not buy its just a friendly and they are premiership. This is the team we want to bring us premiership football so they should not be so far behing would you not agree?  I have played sport all my life and never want to lose, so this friendly it does not matter to me is an excuse. 

I hope we improve and the team gels and the new players come in and make a difference but I have big concerns over arre quality throughout the team, coaching staff and board.

Good debate though

OTBC

St.John

[/quote]

St John, i think the first half we looked alright, but in the second, spurs had a lot more to offer and it really showed... with one up front the midfield were having to do a lot and a team like spurs will pass it round til the cows come home... i agree we looked well off the pace but i really think once the team beds down we should... and i say ''should'' (holding balls rocking back and forth and praying...ehem...) be a lot better...

i''d say this is our best 11... on paper i would say it''s just as good as most teams in the champ...if not better...

marshall

Otsemobor Kennedy Stefanovic Bertrand

Bell Clingan Fotheringham Hoolahan

Lupoli    + One.

if this team played the whole 90 last night i don''t think we would have lost 5-1... only thing about this first 11 (even if you put russel in there as an attacking midfielder) i don''t think we have a midfielder who''ll score 10 goals a season... very little height in midfield... anyway that''s another debate!

[quote user="Tony Harrison"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[/quote]

Of course there was a lack of cohesion. It was the first time they had played together. Defence was piss poor second half admittedly. Anyone who thinks WHoolahan is a mere journeyman probably wasn''t watching very carefully or doesn''t know a good footballer from his own arse.

[/quote]

Mmmm........on that note couldn''t the very same be said about Spurs?  This sounds like yet another Chelsea cup debacle where every excuse is made in order not to accept the facts on show.

If Hoolahan impresses you so much...then I suggest you have been spending too much time studying your own arse rather than watching any "true quality" running around in a Norwich shirt..... Want a few names?