Sign in to follow this  
The Manager

Spurs supporters in with Norwich supporters???????

I fully understand the concerns raised - but what sad people we have become. 99% of folk are decent folk - it takes just the other 1% to spoil it for everyone if you let them. You''ll shake the hand of the chap who helps you when you break down on the side of the road but spit at him if he turns up at your ground as an away fan. Wars and worse have occurred in the past 20 years because we insist on emphasising our differences and not what we have in common. There were two Spurs fan next to me in the River End ...they lived in north Norfolk.  A bright young lad behind me was very considerate to my son - he was a Spurs fan from Thetford. Yes, one Spurs fan did get a bit irritating and kept yelling out at the top of his voice - (but as he was all of 4 years old I didn''t start a fight with him). 

Personally I felt proud that they could do that at our ground. Spurs have been good to Norwich over the years - as the programme illustrated. Segregation at league matches may still be a necessity but we should all be sorry that that is so. (One of my earliest memories of the 1960s is of watching Ray Crawford and Ipswich really turning it on and watching from the south stand when fans were not segregated and herded into "armies"). Remember the "Friendly" League Cup Final. Can''t we start a tradition whereby we "Dew Diffrunt" and make all our friendly matches are exactly that - even if the away fans do need educating a bit?

The fact is if you looked around the ground last night there seemed to be as many white shirts as yellow ones. Therein may be the problem.

[quote user="McCanary"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]No I wasn''t at the game, but I did see it on tv, and being a season ticket holder I think that I have just as much of a valid opinion when it comes to the behaviour of fans as anyone else. [/quote]

Sorry mate but as soon as you wrote this then all your comments on tonights game become invalid.

Yes we have all had opposing supporters around us but tonight was a step too far IMO.

[/quote]

Very well said!

So are you not going to respond to what else I said Barclaygirl? I think my opinion is just as valid in a general sense, because the attitudes shown were not necessarily due to the Spurs fans on the night, but a general opinion about fans in the home areas.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]So are you not going to respond to what else I said Barclaygirl? I think my opinion is just as valid in a general sense, because the attitudes shown were not necessarily due to the Spurs fans on the night, but a general opinion about fans in the home areas.[/quote]

To be blunt, I really can''t be arsed. We seem to be talking ourselves in circles.

I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.
[/quote]

It seems to me most families were there to feed their kids and visit the toilets, lol.

[quote user="Barclaygirl"]

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.[/quote]

It seems to me most families were there to feed their kids and visit the toilets, lol.

[/quote]It did seem that way [:D] I had the pleasure of sitting in the Jarrold Stand... never again. Whoever designed it needs shooting.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."][quote user="Barclaygirl"]

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It did seem that way [:D] I had the pleasure of sitting in the Jarrold Stand... never again. Whoever designed it needs shooting.
[/quote]

I''ve never had the pleasure of sitting there, what''s wrong with it?

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.[/quote]Totally agree, it''s a friendly, fun family evening out.  Can''t expect there to be the same atmosphere for a friendly as you get during the season proper.

[quote user="Barclaygirl"][quote user="Rasputin was a C..."][quote user="Barclaygirl"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It did seem that way [:D] I had the pleasure of sitting in the Jarrold Stand... never again. Whoever designed it needs shooting.
[/quote]

[/quote]

its an awful stand! too far away from the action, the refreshment bar is minimal and the bogs are tiny! Give me the luxury of thhe Barclay any day! even the riverend has got better facilities!

jas :)

I''ll be at the Colchester game with my kids, my brother and my

nephews.  If there''s Colchester fans sitting around us, I won''t

care one jot as long as they don''t kick off.  I''d be more annoyed

about stupid, ignorant, idiotic Norwich fans getting angry and

screaming abuse at them for just wanting to enjoy a football

game.  Segregation in football is a nonsense and the only reason

people don''t like it is because they''re not used to it.  Go to a

cricket or a rugby match and come back when you''ve all grown up a

little bit...

[quote user="Barclaygirl"][quote user="Rasputin was a C..."][quote user="Barclaygirl"]

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I personally had no problems with the Spuds supporters. None looking for a fight or to cause trouble. I really don''t know why people are so fussed by it. It was a friendly match of no importance. Both sets of supporters cheered when their team scored, both sets applauded good play and so on. Mostly families there to watch the football.[/quote]

[/quote]It did seem that way [:D] I had the pleasure of sitting in the Jarrold Stand... never again. Whoever designed it needs shooting.[/quote]

[/quote]They seem to tried to keep it all organised, but being a season ticket holder in the now ancient River End I find it''s organised chaos works a lot better than the new cue systems they have in the Jarrold. The stair ways are also a bit on the narrow side and I now understand why people start leaving early for half time snacks, if they didn''t they''d still be trying to get out by the time the second half kicked off. It may just be that it was perhaps not regulars attending and so they are less aware of the "push yourself to the front" kind of mentality you need to get served but the way the whole stand was layed out seems to delay quick service and such. T''is only my opinion however and perhaps the dark madness of the old stands is not to everyones liking [:)]

Id bought a ticket in the away end.... but then the missus (A City fan) won a competition with NU for free tickets and dinner at Delia''s etc so was in the Jarrold with her and sold my ticket to another Spurs fan. Couldnt get rid of her ticket in the Barclay Lower though!

Atmosphere were I was was decent, absolutely no nastiness at all, would have prefered to keep my away ticket but there you go! I enjoy watching football, I applaud good football when I see it, whoever it is (although its hard to ever applaud Ars*nal) and thats exactly what I did last night, Hoolahan looks a handful who will do a job for you next year certainly.

Away fans should have a certain amount of respect for their hosts and as long as they abide by that then I see no problem. I know a LOT of Barclay ST holders who didnt bother, its up to them whether they go or not... but I think its pretty unfair to knock the Spurs fans who decide to come in their place rather than the ST holders. If you werent going to sell the tickets to City fans I think its better that you earn the money from selling to away fans, get that money in the clubs coffers. Dont forget it was live on Sultana Sports as well, great achievement to sell out a friendly when its on telly in the pub!

A similar situation happened to me last year when i joined the missus in the Barclay to watch City v Bury in the cup - some guy sat behind me decided to post on WOTB about how I was texting a mate about the Spurs score instead of watching every second of the game. Err - at least I was there putting cash in, again unlike quite a few ST''s I know who were probably down the pub or something!

All in all its not the end of the world - you spent most of the game without two centrebacks and only one centreforward - give GR a bit of time and he''ll get something sorted. Like a few other posters have mentioned, there wont be another Spurs, or Villa, or Everton, or anything like that unless its a cup game (and then anything could happen!!!!)

Cheers!

While I wasn''t at the game last night I have been to countless friendlies and sat with rival fans. At the end of the day we are all human and if the fact that another person wears a different shirt is to be a good enough reason to hate them then we all need help.

I have sat in the home areas of Portman Road as a city fan, and that was years ago and amazingly I survived - as an away fan if you are civilised and respect the home fans you will be okay. Similarly at Fulham (yes THAT game) our group were treated with courtesy and friendliness in their home area.

In the Barclay I remember sitting with about six Newcastle fans once (it was the game when Andy Marshall made his debut) - they were great and always are a breed apart, fantastic fans.

The only trouble I have ever had with away fans in a home area was a cup match years ago v Orient (in the City stand). It''s a shame we do have to have segregation. A fact of life sadly, but a real shame. Most of the so called insults at games are just banter and it''s great we can mix in pubs before and after the game as football fans, never mind the team we support as individuals.

All this discussion about the rights and wrongs of Spurs supporters in the home areas but nobody has thought about how the club could have prevented it, I would hazard a guess that the vast majority in the home areas would have had local addresses or have friends/family in this neck of the woods to get tickets for them. It happens to a lesser extent for league games. I really am not sure why people are getting so upset about it, unless they were actually physicaly threatened or assaulted by somebody that is. Why it matters who supports who in a friendly match that means absolutely nothing is beyond me. As for the "abuse" coming from the away section, hardly news is it, happens every home game, if you cannot handle away fans taking the michael then you really should not go to a footbal match.

I also just cannot believe how people have gone overboard at one result against a far superior side, apparently losing 5-1 in a friendly means we are going to get relegated, my god this board has been taken over by a bunch of drama queens. 

The way I see it we have come up against a good side, had a bit of a workout and pocketed a few quid into the bargain.

Either there was plenty of Spurs fans who happened to be joining in

''lets speak with a Narfolk accent'' day, or they were just people who

had decided to buy a Spurs shirt for some reason like they once saw a

white rabbit and become Spurs fans.  You know who you are, your other

shirts a Man Utd one and the closest you''ve been to London or the Mancs

is Potter Heigham.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Either there was plenty of Spurs fans who happened to be joining in

''lets speak with a Narfolk accent'' day, or they were just people who

had decided to buy a Spurs shirt for some reason like they once saw a

white rabbit and become Spurs fans.  You know who you are, your other

shirts a Man Utd one and the closest you''ve been to London or the Mancs

is Potter Heigham.[/quote]True supporters [;)]