Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

Barclay Sign

A long time ago, there was some kind of poll (might even have been on the Pink''Un website?), where we were asked to vote for a new sign to go on the back of the Barclay End.

I think the options were something like (and correct me if I''ve got it all Pete Tong)

- The Barclay
- The Barclay End
- The Barclay Stand
- (something else)

Apparently it was going to be a huge sign that would be seen by fans on the trains coming into the city.

Anybody know what happened to the idea? I know a great big sign saying ''The Barclay'' would look awesome!

On another note, I live about 4 miles from Watford, and couldn''t get a ticket for the game, so went to the beamback instead! Was a little bit odd driving back down the M11, Norwich scarf out of my window, seeing everyone with their scarves (not to mention scores of busses) going the other way!

OTBC!

I just about remember the vote, although the result appears to have disappeared from our archives. I remember we have a typeface to download...

[link]http://www.pinkun.com/assets/flash/ncfc_font.zip[/link]

... so you could see how your own name would look (?). The file date on the zip file is August 2001, but I can''t find any stories about it around then. If I get time in the next few days, I''ll take a look in our library to find out where the idea came from.

Don''t Worry MG7, I remember. I was thinking the very same thing the other week.

The 4th choice was just "Norwich City Football Club" I think.

If I remember correctly the winner was just The Barclay.

The four options were 1) The Barclay Stand 2) The Barclay End 3) The Barclay 4) Norwich City Football Club.

Found the competition, now just need to find the results...

Cheers Vince. Don''t really know where it came from, but all of a sudden I remembered about it. Was walking out of the stadium on Saturday, and looked up at the back of the Barclay, and then I remembered it.

You think the club might have any information on it? Maybe I''ll email them. Thanks for the font, though.

Then''s there no further mention - spooky. If memory serves, "The Barclay" won by a landslide. Maybe the club will stick the letters on to that restaurant at the back they borrowed from NASA now they have some cash.

Yep, I seem to remember ''The Barclay'' won by a mile. I''ve emailed the club to see if they have any recollection, or if they have any plans to put a sign on the back.

Would also look good to have a massive sign on the front of the roof, so it''s in view to fans inside the stadium.

Surely it wouldn''t cost too much, and I know a lot of fans would be in agreement that it would look good.

And it''s not as if The Barclay is in danger of being sponsored by any companies. It''d better not, anyway. There''d be uproar if the club tried to change its name.

I''ll let you know if I get an update from the club.

OTBC

"The Barclay" won by a landslide. I think the club didn''t really like it so hoped it would fade into distant memory. Whether we feel its worth making a song and dance about now is a fair topic for debate.

Was on the train yesterday and its a shame that Big Yellow Storage place ruins the view from the track.

Oh well, the 2nd tier on the south stand will be visible enough!!!

"Jump around if you''re top of the league!"

I reckon we should do something about it. I think it''s a great idea, both on the back of the stand at on the roof at the front, just like the N+P sign above the River End.

How many people would be up for some kind of petition or something? I''m sure if enough of us made some noise about it, they''d have to listen.

Opinions?

OTBC

I was just thinking of that vote when I was at the Walsall game the other day. Maybe the club didn''t like the idea, but why not have there choice (presumably Norwich City Football Club) that side and ''The Barclay'' on the top of the stand inside, like the Norwich And peterbrough sign?

Also Speacking of sponsoring the Barclay end, I had a non norwich supporting mate who went to see Norwich last season who came back and told me he sat in the BarclayCard stand! We might as well take some money off them and not bother changing the name!

Let''s have 4 signs put up - The Barclay; The River End; The South Stand; The Main Stand.
I would know where people were talking about then - all this talk of "The Norwich and Peterborough Stand", T"he Jarrold Stand" etc confuses me :-P