Sign in to follow this  
Delias Tasty Nibblets

Is Chris Martin good enough to fill the 4th striker role?

Title says it all really, we''l obviously bring in a big target man, and Hoolahan/Bell can always play off the main striker, and theres the option of 4-5-1, do we need to sign 2 more strikers pushing Martin/Renton(?) down the pecking order, or is one more enough?

I would prefer to see some more experience come in as although both of them have the potential I think it would be too much to expect of them to get the goals for us if we suffered an injury crisis of some kind.

[quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]Title says it all really, we''l obviously bring in a big target man, and Hoolahan/Bell can always play off the main striker, and theres the option of 4-5-1, do we need to sign 2 more strikers pushing Martin/Renton(?) down the pecking order, or is one more enough?[/quote]NO

If he had been looked after properly during his period of success under Grant then yes, but at the moment Roeder doesn''t like him, he hasn''t proved anything to the manager at all.

He needs some proper toughening up, I would like to see him sent off on loan to L1 or L2, then he may understand that he isn''t what he thinks he is, and may start producing something similar to his form in the 06/07 season.

At the moment, the situation is looking very similar to that of Dean Bowditch at Ipswich, when he first hit the first team everything went well, but he has lost his way.

NO  He has had the chance that we can only dream about, and he blew it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

nope.. he has blown it big time...Groleston FC beckons...

jas :)

[/quote]Yes he''s good enough judging on performances at the end of last season. As long as he has a side kick to do the runs he''d do well. He''s sharper than ever

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"]Yes he''s good enough judging on performances at the end of last season. As long as he has a side kick to do the runs he''d do well. He''s sharper than ever[/quote]Which performances were those?

Martin''s become the forgotten man really, i think he''ll be in the team a lot this year, and should be pushin 32 y.o Cureton to the limit for his place. Apparently Martin''s spent a lot of time in the gym in the closed season and got a lot bigger and stronger,dont forget he quite tall too. I hope he gets and takes his chance, that would be a problem solved.

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Yes he''s good enough judging on performances at the end of last season. As long as he has a side kick to do the runs he''d do well. He''s sharper than ever
[/quote]

sorry what performances were they~????

[/quote]I suspect he''s referring to the spate of goals he scored in the reserves towards the end of the season.

i really hope chris martin can find some form and get his confidence back. he looked a good player when he first played for city. i know he''s lost his way a bitbut give the boy another chance

Rubbish who said he can''t, he clearly has the ability, he just needs to get his mental side right, (not just apply himself as so many people think! there''s more to it!) I''d be happy to see us sign a quality target man and see martin as 4th choice with Renton, easily!

Has potential, but being the closest thing to a celebrity in Beccles hasn''t helped him.

He should be sent out on loan well away, where parading around like some kind of superstar results in a damn good hiding!

The only good thing Martin is good at atm is getting wasted

send him to a club where there is no such thing as pubs then maybe he could do something there

Good to see we are all prepared to support a local lad playing for City.  Seriously, the boy has made some mistakes, no doubt about it but how about actually giving him another chance?  He clearly has a lot of talent from his displays, that in part, kept us out of trouble 2 seasons back.  His link up play was nice and he seemed to have a good footballing brain.Yes he went off the rails last season but he has not suddenly lost all of his potential.  Maybe if Grant had handled him better last season may have been different.  Personally I would love to see a local lad doing well in our first team, clearly not many others do................. sad really.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Good to see we are all prepared to support a local lad playing for City.  Seriously, the boy has made some mistakes, no doubt about it but how about actually giving him another chance?  He clearly has a lot of talent from his displays, that in part, kept us out of trouble 2 seasons back.  His link up play was nice and he seemed to have a good footballing brain.

Yes he went off the rails last season but he has not suddenly lost all of his potential.  Maybe if Grant had handled him better last season may have been different. 

Personally I would love to see a local lad doing well in our first team, clearly not many others do................. sad really.
[/quote]

I think the bitterness comes from the fact that we''d all love to have the ability and opportunity that Chris Martin has. Come on Chris, pull your finger out.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]I suspect he''s referring to the spate of goals he scored in the reserves towards the end of the season.[/quote]

Or maybe he did well in court.....?

I hope so. He obviously has talent, as displayed the season before last. He probably is good enough to be our 4th striker but it could have been so much more than that. With Earnshaw leaving last summer and Strihavka proving to be a disaster he has a real opportunity to get his place in the first team had he looked after himself. Roeder has now got Lupoli and will probably sign a more physical striker and there will be more competition for places than last year.

By the way, who started up front for us in the first game of last season against Preston. I was there but I can''t remember.

[quote user="psychedeliasmith"]

By the way, who started up front for us in the first game of last season against Preston. I was there but I can''t remember.

[/quote]

Dion and Brown, Cureton was ill from the barbeque

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Good to see we are all prepared to support a local lad playing for City.  Seriously, the boy has made some mistakes, no doubt about it but how about actually giving him another chance?  He clearly has a lot of talent from his displays, that in part, kept us out of trouble 2 seasons back.  His link up play was nice and he seemed to have a good footballing brain.

Yes he went off the rails last season but he has not suddenly lost all of his potential.  Maybe if Grant had handled him better last season may have been different. 

Personally I would love to see a local lad doing well in our first team, clearly not many others do................. sad really.
[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong, I''d love to see the lad succeed! More frustratingly he actually has the potential and talent to do so!  

However, I think a stint out on loan and getting the hell out of Beccles will be good for him. Being local to the town myself there I know there are few good things to be said about him. A true lack of professionaliam, rotten attitude, in fact the general consensus is that he''s an arrogant pr*ck and deserves to fall flat on his face. He just needs to get away from small-town life, concentrate on playing and get his feet back on the ground.  

[/quote]

Maybe, but only when his lucrative contract runs out. Remember that everybody was pushing the Club to tie Martin to the Club because of a spate of goals (I thought it was in the first team season before last) and who knows how long that contract has to run.

Only if he scores goals. In 2006/2007 thats exactly what he did, unfortunately he has gone into reverse.

I would send him out on loan if possible but who is likely to want him?

It seems to me that once a young player has got the wrong attitude it`s extremely hard to turn things around, particularly if he stays at the same club.

I would question whether he is worth the effort, he has made his own choices!