Sign in to follow this  
Pieman

Where is the strangest place you've seen a fella yella?

The Chesterfield Canary thread got me thinking about this.

Disney seems quite popular. I saw a City fan there on the day of the play off semi vs Wolves, and scared the life out of him screaming "YELLOW ARMY!!!" Saw a young lad in a Hucks shirt there this year as well.

Wierdest one was meeting Adrian Coote in a bar in Orlando. 6 of us City fans were out singing some scousers at an England match when Cooty came up and introduced himself. Needless to say a very drunken and loud rendition of "Who let the Coote out?" followed!

Also met a scummer on the Maid of the Mist in Niagra but didn''t talk to them.

I''ve seen fellow canaries at Disney as well, but perhaps the strangest place of all was in a run down Turkish market place when one of the locals started shouting excitedly Canaries! Canaries! As I walked by in my Norwich shirt.

I saw a Norwich fan in New York last september - that''s probably the strangest place I''ve seen a Norwich fan.Next time I''m there, I''m going to that Norwich City supporters bar - I didn''t have time to go last time [:(]

I was standing on a rock on a fairly deserted piece of coastline in Malta when I turned to my girlfriend of the time and said - "I wonder if they''ve got a new manager at Norwich yet ?".  20 yards behind me a voice shouted "It''s Martin O''Neill".  Turns out the bloke 20 yards behind us was from Stowmarket.

That was fairly odd.

Outside the Romanian embassy in Budapest he was standing behind me in the Queue for a Romanian visa.

Just to add he was brought up in Liverpool and his family were from Norfolk and he moved to Norwich so he could follow the yellas.

Ed you are a true legend, see you before the Blackpool game.

OTBC

Walking towards me along the city wall surrounding Dubrovnik in Croatia. We both had our shirts on so stopped for a chat.

I also met a couple on a beach on a little Thai island called Ko Pha Ngan.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I was standing on a rock on a fairly deserted piece of coastline in Malta when I turned to my girlfriend of the time and said - "I wonder if they''ve got a new manager at Norwich yet ?".  20 yards behind me a voice shouted "It''s Martin O''Neill".  Turns out the bloke 20 yards behind us was from Stowmarket.

That was fairly odd.

[/quote]

Sounds like mine. I was in a remote part of west Ireland miles from anywhere sitting in a tiny pub with my missus and about 4 locals and this guy at the bar kept staring at me,eventually he walked over and asked if I was from Norwich, I said he was close but I was infact from Thetford, he then asked if I went to the football at Norwich and when I said yes he revealed that he reconised me from sitting near him in the Barclay and he was now teaching over there. We went on to enjoy a few pints and a good chat and he said I''d made his week as he was a little homesick.[A]

onboard the HMS victory in Portsmouth! he was a retired fellow with his wife and (rather attractive and large breasted) teenage Daughter.. i was 16 at the time so you can guess where my eyes were for most of the tour.

jas :)

Corchevel France. we''d been snowboarding in City shirts and were in a bar moaning about how we didn''t fit in because we didn''t go sailing in the summer. The owner came up to us and said "Right, free drinks for the Norwich fans". Turns out he was from Attleborough and all the bar menus had city badges in the top corner.

Made us sing OTBC when we (drunkenly) left.

A corridor in BBC television centre, Steven Fry was filming Q.I, Delia was filming How to cook good naked and Peter Cullum was on the money programe talking about dodgy investments and The darkness and Sophie Ellis-Bexter were filming Top of the pops, this is goin back a few years mind....

One of my strangest sightings/meetings, was in Norwich - OK, before you take the proverbial, the guy was actually from New Zealand!! He was a friend of a friend over for a visit and had been born and raised in NZ. On a Friday night in the pub, I overherd him say he''d love to see a game of football. I asked who he supported and when he said City, I was gobsmacked!! Tunred out his folks were from Gorleston and had raised him to follow the canaries. Next day I booked us tickets to see the home game against Crewe and it made his trip, despite only drawing 1-1. He was despearte to buy a shirt too, but didn''t wanna be seen in NZ wearing green n yellow (as Australia colours are green and gold), so went for the red away shirt of the time.....

In additon to this, I''ve run into canary fans in Orlando, Corfu and Amsterdam (night of City 2 Man U 0) 

.... found out i was on a teaching course with a fellow fan... the day after the tamworth game which was on TV... he worked at the place and had access to the game on TV, i didn''t know where it was sooo... yeah gutted i didn''t find out a day before.walking into tesco at plymouth... i think the guy thought i was taking the mick when i mentioned Norwich were a good team and he had good taste... :Suhh... when i went Skiing in february we were entering the joys of dover docks and our coach pulled up next to one with a load of kids flinging all sorts of Norwich merchandise up against the windows... while my Plymouth peers shoved all sorts of green rubbish against the windows in retort i sat there flinging my Norwich scarf around looking completly out of place... made my day though.otbc.

In Paphos, Cyprus - was a few days before the Sheffield United away game last season and I passed a City fan walking through the town and saw another in one of the sports bars, I then went down towards the harbour and there were 2 Sheffield United fans coming the other way.

I was in a market in Marakesh sporting my yellow shirt, when a young lad walked past wearing a kiddies NCFC top. Got talking to his folks and they were from the fine city

In a nameless village up a forgotten tributary of the Congo. He was called Kurtz. Was wearing a Poll & Withey windows shirt.

[quote user="Grando"]In a nameless village up a forgotten tributary of the Congo. He was called Kurtz. Was wearing a Poll & Withey windows shirt.[/quote]

The horror! The horror!!

Bumped into Wayne Biggins outside HMV in Sheffield many moons ago (1988 ish) with my shirt on and he chatted to me.

Also bumped into Gary Megson outside of Thomas Cook at Meadowhall, again when I had a shirt on.  He acknoeldged me but didnt say anything.  This was around 5/6 years ago.

Bumped into a city fan on one of the greek islands (Thasos I think) about 6 years ago, again I had my shirt on and we had a good natter . Turned out he ran a hire car firm and did me a good price on a hire car :) :) :)

Right, was in a place called Ngepi in Botswana 2 years ago and the campsite was run by a Norwich fan called Neil who was originally from Attleborough! In 2005 in San Francisco, saw a fellow canary walking along past Pier 39 who waved. Also there''s a bar in New Zealand (Franz Josef glacier I think?) that''s run by a Nrowich fan.....no free drinks though, lol!!

Shared a hot air balloon trip in Florida with 3 other people, 2 of whcih recognised our accents...they were from Spixworth. V small world.

Also Iwan Roberts was on the same flight as us when we went on honeymoon and we made sure we had a good few chats with him to pass the time. Legend!

On the down side, had the misfortune to see Wayne Brown when he played for the dirty scum in orlando, stuck my tongue out at him, ahem !

A British-style pub called The Richmond Arms on Richmond Ave. in Houston. I donated an NCFC scarf to hang with all the other ones there and there happened to be a fellow Yank Canary fan there at the time. He knew the city well enough for me to be convinced he wasn''t just some drunken knob trying to make friends with anyone willing to listen.

I was on holiday in Thailand and was scuba diving, one of the persons who was looking after us, had a pair of Norwich shorts, had the badge on it too. Naturally took a photo.