Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Do we really need a big man up front?

Man Utd =  Rooney + Tevez

Newcastle = Martins + Owen

The season before last it was Martin and Huckerbys ten games up front together that kept us up.

Would be play better football if we had no choice but to get the ball on the floor and played?

Now that we have defenders that can play the ball on the floor?

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

The season before last it was Martin and Huckerbys ten games up front together that kept us up.

Would be play better football if we had no choice but to get the ball on the floor and played?

[/quote]

For me it''s a no brainer. We need  a target man in the mould of David Cross, Ron Davies, Dean Ashton, John  Fashanu, Akinbiyi (the NCFC Reserves version not the current model) to nod in Hoola Hoops crosses and provide the perfect foil for Cureton or the other short arse called Lupoli that so many are getting excited about for some reason.

Sort of. The most important thing is we want a good player but if we want to get promoted it would help to sign a quality striker who gives us something differant to the choices that we already have. That means a player who is good at holding the ball up or increadibly pacy.

The CCC is vastly different from the Premiership however. Unless you are going to go the route of WBA last season, which is play the ball on the ground then you will need a big lump upfront to help, or at least on the bench. The thing with WBA though is that they have the players who have the ability to play attractive looking football, but if they tried to play that style without players of that quality then they probably would of been slaughtered. In my opinion I think Roeder does want Norwich to play that style of football, but until he can get the players then he will have to make do with another style.

More importantly, do we really need a third debate on the

subject this week? If this is the way things are going I''m just going

to start copying and pasting, Lappinitup stylee... [8-)]

[quote user="Shazzakidd"]The CCC is vastly different from the Premiership however. Unless you are going to go the route of WBA last season, which is play the ball on the ground then you will need a big lump upfront to help, or at least on the bench. The thing with WBA though is that they have the players who have the ability to play attractive looking football, but if they tried to play that style without players of that quality then they probably would of been slaughtered. In my opinion I think Roeder does want Norwich to play that style of football, but until he can get the players then he will have to make do with another style.
[/quote]

WBA still had players up top with a bit of height and strength in Miller and Bednar alongside Phillips, without either of them i doubt he would have scored as many goals as he did, a big man is needed to play good football on the ground, if you play the ball into the feet of 2 small players up top they''re going to be pushed off the ball

We all know that Cureton and Martin seem to play well with a big man alongside them, take Dublin for example, Cureton played better when partnered with him than he did when partnered with Rigters or Evans.

Glenn has come out and said he wants a target man... it opens up more opportunities if the opposition play well in midfield and cut down our passing opportunities, it opens up greater opportunities from free kicks, corners and crosses and generally a big target man can rattle a defender into making mistakes if he keeps out muscling him time after time.

Yes Man Utd play Tevez and Rooney but then again they''re worth a fortune... Cureton and company aren''t... and they also have the likes of Anderson, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Giggs, Scholes being the providers last season... Russell, Fotheringham, Pattison, Clingan aren''t exactly the same quality as them now are they...

Depending on who it is I would welcome a big striker!

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[quote user="Shazzakidd"]The CCC is vastly different from the Premiership however. Unless you are going to go the route of WBA last season, which is play the ball on the ground then you will need a big lump upfront to help, or at least on the bench. The thing with WBA though is that they have the players who have the ability to play attractive looking football, but if they tried to play that style without players of that quality then they probably would of been slaughtered. In my opinion I think Roeder does want Norwich to play that style of football, but until he can get the players then he will have to make do with another style.[/quote]

WBA still had players up top with a bit of height and strength in Miller and Bednar alongside Phillips, without either of them i doubt he would have scored as many goals as he did, a big man is needed to play good football on the ground, if you play the ball into the feet of 2 small players up top they''re going to be pushed off the ball

[/quote]That''s a good point, both Miller and Bednar had the quality aswell. They weren''t just a lump upfront holding up the ball, which Norwich should not go for in my opinion.

Is it really fair to say Cureton didn''t combine well with Rigters, given that Rigters played less than 30 minutes in a Norwich shirt!

(Take your point though, I think we need a big man up front to give us options.)

Fair point... maybe Rigters wasn''t the best of players to prove Cureton''s performance too... shame he got injured really. The one game he did play with Cureton, Jamie didn''t play well but that''s probably the fact its a new player to play alongside and needed to gel a bit. My mistake...

Apart from when Dublin played alongside Jamie... he pretty much struggled all season for decent form.

Strangely, what concerns me most about height in the team is defensively. In the past to be successful in this league you have to compete physically with sides who bombard your penalty box with high balls from set pieces and now even throws. I remember Iwan winning as many headers in his own box to clear the danger as he won in the opposition box when we attacked. Dion was the same last season. When you play teams like Watford somebody has to come back and mark the brick outhouse known as Shittu!

Why do people continually delude themselves with this awful idea that we can use two short strikers, and then cite PREMIERSHIP strikeforces!  Each one of those pairings is a highly talented pairing being given the ball from world class players.  We are in a division called the CHAMPIONSHIP for the terminally stupid out there.  Name ONE short CHAMPIONSHIP strikeforce that worked last season....?

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]Why do people continually delude themselves with this awful idea that we can use two short strikers, and then cite PREMIERSHIP strikeforces!  Each one of those pairings is a highly talented pairing being given the ball from world class players.  We are in a division called the CHAMPIONSHIP for the terminally stupid out there.  Name ONE short CHAMPIONSHIP strikeforce that worked last season....?

[/quote]

Oooooh somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning [;)]

I don''t think anybody has seriously suggested that we should play with two short strikers. What some, including me, have suggested is that we should be looking for something more than a big lump who can win flick ons. Somebody with pace and intelligent running who will compliment our other attacking players. It doesn''t matter whether you''re in the Premiership, League 1, the Champions League, the World Cup or indeed the CHAMPIONSHIP successful teams tend to be ones where all the players compliment each other. In short, there''s no point building a side with the intent of playing a passing game built from the back and then bolting Steve Howard or Jon Parkin on at the end.

Regards

Terminally stupid Shack [;)] xxxxxxxxxx

Right on, Shack.

At Carrow Road it seems there is a love that dare not speak its name - hoofball.

We do a big man up front for numerous reasons.  Firstly, as Nutty pointed out the general height is not great and a big CF would help out at the back greatly.  Secondly, unless your front two are Bebeto & Romario you are going to struggle if teams just put 10 men behind the ball.  No one is saying we have to play long-ball but teams who acheive success are generally teams with numerous attacking options.  Anyone who thinks that the likes of Man U and Newcastle don''t play long balls for their small strikers are clearly deluding themselves.I would also point out that many seem to be forgetting that when Earnie was up front, that didn''t stop us hoofing, so it''s not as if having a big man is the reason for it.  The reason for the hoofing in the past was the poor midfield and their ability to retain the ball and make chances.  Roeder seems to have solved this with the purchase of some good wide players and ball playing midfielders.  Like Shack pointed out, we don''t want a Chris Brown, we need a Chris Sutton.  A big man, who can play on the deck too but we do need a big man.

Alan Shearer is about 5''10" I reckon. Does he count as a big man? Perhaps we''re looking for someone with strength, rather than size? Flick ons are crap, and barely ever work - just watch next time you see a flick on, and remember "nearly" worked isn''t "actually" worked.

[quote user="BigFish"]

Right on, Shack.

At Carrow Road it seems there is a love that dare not speak its name - hoofball.

[/quote]

Very true. All those who moan about ''hoofball'' are the same ones who scream ''get-ut-up-there'' when we put more than six passes together...

[quote user="Match Day Pie"][quote user="BigFish"]

Right on, Shack.

[/quote]

Very true. All those who moan about ''hoofball'' are the same ones who

scream ''get-ut-up-there'' when we put more than six passes together...

[/quote]

Its funny cos its true! I occasionally sit with my mate when his

brother''s season ticket is going begging, there''s a lady who sits

behind who spends the whole game complaining "they dunt noo wha they''re

duuuun" and I believe "get ut up there" is a particular favourite of

hers too...

LOL no just fed up with people claiming we can play like Rooney and Ronaldo![quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="JC"]Why do people continually delude themselves with this awful idea that we can use two short strikers, and then cite PREMIERSHIP strikeforces!  Each one of those pairings is a highly talented pairing being given the ball from world class players.  We are in a division called the CHAMPIONSHIP for the terminally stupid out there.  Name ONE short CHAMPIONSHIP strikeforce that worked last season....?[/quote]

I don''t think anybody has seriously suggested that we should play with two short strikers. What some, including me, have suggested is that we should be looking for something more than a big lump who can win flick ons. Somebody with pace and intelligent running who will compliment our other attacking players. It doesn''t matter whether you''re in the Premiership, League 1, the Champions League, the World Cup or indeed the CHAMPIONSHIP successful teams tend to be ones where all the players compliment each other. In short, there''s no point building a side with the intent of playing a passing game built from the back and then bolting Steve Howard or Jon Parkin on at the end.

Regards

[/quote]

I disagree with your point. I want to see passing and a team built to pass the ball.  But you need another option - and that option on a cold Tuesday night under pressure is a hoof up to a big striker to hold it up and give time to get out of defence.  So I think bolting Steve Howard or similar on is a very realistic option if we are to get the variation we will need if passing around is not working.[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="JC"]Why do people continually delude themselves with this awful idea that we can use two short strikers, and then cite PREMIERSHIP strikeforces!  Each one of those pairings is a highly talented pairing being given the ball from world class players.  We are in a division called the CHAMPIONSHIP for the terminally stupid out there.  Name ONE short CHAMPIONSHIP strikeforce that worked last season....?[/quote]

Regards

[/quote]

i read this thread and one perfect player fixes to my mind... RASIAK of Southampton, he''s tall, he isnt slow... but neither lightning quick, he is mobile... he has a touch of class when it comes to finishing and he gets himself in the right positions in the box...(Hoolahan and Bell crosses would be met by this guy nicely).... Surely he is someone who would be very welcome to Carrow Road and he would provide more than just being a big man upfront... He would not only help our smaller strikers in the Cureton,Martin and Luppoli but he even has the ability to even be our top goalscorer... Perfect addition to our squad in my opinion

[quote user="JC"]Why do people continually delude themselves with this awful idea that we can use two short strikers, and then cite PREMIERSHIP strikeforces!  Each one of those pairings is a highly talented pairing being given the ball from world class players.  We are in a division called the CHAMPIONSHIP for the terminally stupid out there.  Name ONE short CHAMPIONSHIP strikeforce that worked last season....?

[/quote][/quote]Whats WITH the CAPITALS? are you GNG in disguise?  for the record, my question was hypothetical, so I ask kindly that you try not to get your knickers in a twist sweetheart. I wasnt suggesting that we play two midgets on the pitch, that would be Cureton and Mcveigh then,  I was actually just asking whether we need a 6ft 5in horse, e.g. Dion Dublin. In fact my post didnt mention the word ''short'' at all. Wolves played primarily with Ebanks Blake (5ft 10in) and Andy Keogh (6ft) at the end of last season and they finished much higher than us. There big man (Bothroyd) didnt get in the team.But anyway, of course we need height.  My point is that we dont have to be obsessed with people between 6ft 3 and 6ft 5.........  unless the tactic is to hoof the ball aimlessly into the opposition box. 

[quote user="JC"]

I disagree with your point. I want to see passing and a team built to pass the ball.  But you need another option - and that option on a cold Tuesday night under pressure is a hoof up to a big striker to hold it up and give time to get out of defence.  So I think bolting Steve Howard or similar on is a very realistic option if we are to get the variation we will need if passing around is not working.

[/quote]

I can see where you''re coming from JC but I still think we need to find a striker who complements the rest of the team. From the signings we''ve made so far I don''t think we''re going to be a side who hoofs the ball very much. Two full backs who love to get forward, a ball playing centre half, two neat and tidy midfielders (Bell & Clingan), a twinkle toed left winger/playmaker (Hoolahan) and a nippy striker (Lupoli). Put Steve Howard in a team like that and he''s just going to be standing around up front and waiting. Far better in my opinion to get a striker who can offer us a bit more with his pace and movement. How much would Howard cost as well, £500,000? It''s a lot of money to pay for somebody to be an option on a cold Tuesday night in Burnley.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="JC"]

I disagree with your point. I want to see passing and a team built to pass the ball.  But you need another option - and that option on a cold Tuesday night under pressure is a hoof up to a big striker to hold it up and give time to get out of defence.  So I think bolting Steve Howard or similar on is a very realistic option if we are to get the variation we will need if passing around is not working.[/quote]

I can see where you''re coming from JC but I still think we need to find a striker who complements the rest of the team. From the signings we''ve made so far I don''t think we''re going to be a side who hoofs the ball very much. Two full backs who love to get forward, a ball playing centre half, two neat and tidy midfielders (Bell & Clingan), a twinkle toed left winger/playmaker (Hoolahan) and a nippy striker (Lupoli). Put Steve Howard in a team like that and he''s just going to be standing around up front and waiting. Far better in my opinion to get a striker who can offer us a bit more with his pace and movement. How much would Howard cost as well, £500,000? It''s a lot of money to pay for somebody to be an option on a cold Tuesday night in Burnley.

[/quote]I agree with you Shack but we do still need a big man option.  Like you say, someone with movement and some pace but some height is clearly needed.  How many times did we see when Earnie was up front the need for almost pinpont accuracy on crosses because he had no presence?  You need options, it''s as simple as that because despite Roeder putting together what looks like a very exciting and passing minded midfield, you are not always going to be able to pas your way through teams.  Even Arsenal can''t do it for 40+ games a season.  Variety and options are the key to success becuase teams will quickly learn to nullify a team that only has one way of playing.