Sign in to follow this  
SAFU2007

Geordies respond to Ameobi query

Hmmmmm....... Good work SAFU. The video they posted was quite eye-opening! A couple of great finishes, but also the lack of ability to stay standing up at times. Hmmmmm.......[*-)]

Yep my thoughts exactly, it seems some love him & others hate him, probably coz he''s a donkey at times but brilliant at others...I guess if we do sign him, GR will be confident he can sort him out otherwise he''d leave him alone. I have faith in GR and I still like to think Ameobi will sign, as i''ve said in previous posts, exciting times ahead I think/hope!

I still think in this league he would walk it with some fatherly love from GR and some decent service.

Most of the goals on the link do seem a bit "fortunate": there seem to be a fair few mishits or deflections in there.

There again, some forwards seem to keep getting "lucky" goals.   To the best of my knowledge the best goals to games ratio at the top level remains that of Gerd Muller, who scored 68 in 62 inernational games for Germany, and had similar figures for his club, and all at the very highest level: world cup finals and European Champions Cup finals.   And yet, a high proportion of his goals seemed to be tap ins, or ricochets, or deflections, or would go in off his knee, or back, or he would have fallen down and scramble the ball in on his backside (one of those on the way to the 1974 World Cup Final).   People then used to say he was lucky - but at the very highest level his "luck" never ran out.  Gary Lineker was not entirely dissimilar, though not as extreme ( even his equalisier against Germany in the World Cup semi final 1990 was - I think, and I know it''s heresy - slightly mishit).

I''m not saying Ameobi is remotely in the same league, good grief.   The point is just this; there are forwards who have a lucky year and then never repeat it; there are others who have the knack of scoring "lucky" goals and keep doing it all through their career.  I have no idea which Ameobi is, and that''s what Roeder is paid to know. 

I will be disappointed though, if with the relatively small amount we have spent so far (well, possibly) we don''t end up with an Ameobi or Righters or similar: one big signing who might just be the magic in the mix, which I can''t see Howard or Job being.

Some say he doesn''t work hard, many said the same of Lineker..............................Roeder get him on loan and sign him permanently when we go up...............

Admittedly, a lot of those goals did appear to be quite ''fortunate'' so to speak. But I think that could be exactly what we''re looking for. The sort of player who will pick up on penalty area ''scraps'', which I think we''ve been lacking for a while. With the way the midfield is shaping up, we should be providing the goods into the box, and just need someone to finish them off. I really think he could do a good job for us at this level. If Curo had that sort of luck last season, he''d have got 30 goals! Probably..............[:D]

[quote user="Clipped Wizard"]Admittedly, a lot of those goals did appear to be quite ''fortunate'' so to speak. But I think that could be exactly what we''re looking for. The sort of player who will pick up on penalty area ''scraps'', which I think we''ve been lacking for a while. With the way the midfield is shaping up, we should be providing the goods into the box, and just need someone to finish them off. I really think he could do a good job for us at this level. If Curo had that sort of luck last season, he''d have got 30 goals! Probably..............[:D]
[/quote]

totally agree. you could also say the same about most strikers, including Sheerer, I would like to see him here and think with GR''s influance on him he could bag at least 20 goals next season