Sign in to follow this  
Chesterfield Canary

Why Norwich?

Long strange story my dad was originally from gorleston and supports Norwich, my mum is from Southampton and is a saint but i was born in surrey and live in crawley west Sussex, now i should of followed in their shoes or supported a local team like palace like my brother did, instead i didn''t want to be known as a glory hunter or support a rubbish team so i choose the team that was mid table and it was Norwich. Didn''t even knew my dad supported them so wasn''t forced to support them. I like to think it was destiny.

My Uncle transferred to Norwich from B''ham (he of bare arse and ripped shorts fame that Ardee remembers so well). My Dad came to visit him and watch him play and that weekend he met my mum, and as a result moved down here (or across here if we''re being fussy) and got married. A few years later out I popped. My lovely old Grandad took me to my first game in 1970 and made me sit on the floodlight pylons at the River End… (I was four and terrified) and on the way home (in Arnold Everson''s Humber Super Snipe if I remember correctly) he told me that Norwich was my team for the rest of my life - and lo, the rest, they say, is history!

I didn''t really support anyone when I was a young kid, but got hooked after the Millwall v Norwich game in 1988 I think. I remember saying with 10 mins to go that this has been such a great game and if Norwich score I''ll support them for the rest of my life (like you do as a 14 year old). the rest is history......

Dion is LEGEND! wrote the following post at 23/07/2008 5:24 PM:

I am 15 and I live in Essex -  Frinton-on-sea. All my mum''s side of the family come from and support Norwich. My Grandad always supported Norwic and when he died I said id support them for him. So that why. Also they weret first team I''ve ever been to see play. Thats me.

OTBC!

Awesome - top banana!

Mines pretty straight foward really, Dad''s a fan, took me to a few reserve games in 1995 when I was 7 (Agaisnt Swindon I think) and loved it, got faced painted the whole works. Been a fan ever since. First proper match was the following November agaisnt Charlton. Been a season ticket holder since 98'' although more of a regular since 2000.

[quote user="Chesterfield Canary"]This post is really for people, like myself, who aren''t local to Norwich!!
Just wondered + thought it would be interesting to hear why you support Norwich!

Mine''s pretty boring really.
Mum and Dad were both bought up in Sheringham
Dad went to Uni in Sheffield - went back to sunny Norfolk for a bit (and met my mum) before returning ''up north''

My dad forced me to support Norwich as a young boy, but I really wasn''t interested in football at all - I just used to take a colouring book or something.
When I was 13 (2003) my dad took me to see Norwich City v Nottingham Forrest on Boxing Day - I''ve hardly missed a game since!!

so what''s your story?

[/quote]

Moved to Sheringham in 1972 as a 13 year old Spurs follower from north Essex, couldn''t get to see Spurs that often and started going to watch City with classmates from Paston Grammar School. Moved away from Norfolk in 1980 but have loyally followed them since, now, in common with other stories on this thread, have succesfully indoctrinated another generation of City fans who are just as keen, despite never having lived in Norfolk.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="billy bunter"]

i was born here

[/quote]

''I was born under the Barclay stand''... something we havent chanted for a while at Carrow Road

jas :)

[/quote]

Probably something to do with the rest of those lyrics...sometimes its best just to look back, rather than go back ...to the old days eh?

Born in West Norwich Hospital and lived in Attleborough for next 18 years.  First taken to a match in ''69 - my mum and dad apparently courted at carrow road during the ''59 cup run so it was inevitable that I ended up going as well.  In the end my mum was the biggest fan - chaired the Attleborough branch of the Norwich City supporters club for years so went home and away from about 77 through to 82, when I came to Uni in Sheff - strangely my last match before that was to watch us getting promoted at Wednesday.  My last match with them was the Milk Cup in 85.

So although not a regular at Carra Rud now if anyone wants a pop at my opinions - been there and wore the t-shirt long before a lot of ya.

So risking wrath - Delia''s done alright with the meagre resources she has had available to put into the club.  I also think they invest just the right amount off the pitch in order to maintain some form of stability for the club as a whole.  Cullum worries me so not too upset about him not getting a look in yet.  When he finally retires and ignores his own bank balance then let him in!  And the squad is shaping up - Roeder wants a big man, but I think it will be only for the last 20 minutes of a game that''s going against us.  Play-offs here we come!

My grandfather was a supporter all his life and I inherited his season ticket when he died in 1975. 

From the age of  5 I’ve been going with my dad to Carrow Road and remember my first away game at Leicester sometime in the late 70’s 

From memory we drew two all and John Ryan scored, any idea when that might have been?

[quote user="Chesterfield Canary"][quote user="National express super guard "]something

to do with green timber. and if a virgin dances round it a few times

it''ll go straight again. it all happened after the devil sat on it.I''ve been taught all this from the wife, did I get any of it right chesterfield canary
[/quote]

yeah that''s how the old story goes!

it''ll be crooked forever though!

the local church youth club had to cancel their version of nativity last Christmas!

they couldn''t find three wise men or a virgin [;)]

The old ones are always the best [;)][/quote]i went to chesterfield for the sheff weds game.went to brampton brewery, great bloke there, had about 12 pints for a fiver HAHAand got a free glass. defo going again...

[quote user="SouthamptonCanary"]I grew up in West Sussex so apart from Brighton which was by no means close to me I never had a local team to support.
Some family moved to Norwich during the glory years of us finishing 3rd in the Premiership.
I decided as a young lad that I would support Norwich as I came to Norwich often and would get a chance to see them play unlike other kids in the playground who supported Man U.

So I was basically a kid glory supporter who picked the wrong team.

I should of known i''d picked the wrong team when my first match was Norwich vs Southampton and we lost 4-5 in the last minute to a Ken Monkou winner

I don''t regret it though as my blood is now and always will be Yellow and Green!!
[/quote]

Scary. That was my first game too. And very similar story. Gunn''s heroics at Bayern swung it for me. I''ve given up going to see them though as I see myself as a bit of a hex. I think I''ve seen them win in about 20% of the matches I''ve gone to (and lose the remaining 80%, so its not just normal Norwich form).

I''ve never lived in Norwich and I moved to this poxy Island when I was five.

However, all my relatives on my dads side are from Norwich and my surname is a proper Norfolk name.

Therefore I felt obliged to support Norwich. When I was growing up, my dad was always raving about Liverpool so it became a way of rebeling against my dad''s perceived glory hunting.

My first game was a dreadful 0-0 cup tie against Rochdale in the mid 70''s I think, I was about 7 years old. A sign of things to come but it didn''t put me off.

All through school I was the only Norwich fan and I loved the attention. The Island is full of Man Utd PLC and Chelski fans. Not as many Pompey or Saints supporters as you would think.

When I have my City shirt on everyone assumes I am a holidaymaker.

Now my two sons are grown up and are City through and through (they had no choice). My eldest now lives in Norwich and goes to the UEA. Job done.

Was born near Ipswich but dads family supported Norwich and Mums supported Ipswich and Portsmouth. Then moved about 20 miles away, still in Suffolk and it went from there and have followed them since, no matter where I live.

Born in Essex but grew up on the Norfolk/Suffolk border (literally, in the village one side of my street was in Norfolk and the other in Suffolk).  Also lived all over the world (my dad worked for Shell Oil).At some stage had to make a decision and chose (to my constant pride) Norwich.  This worked out well as my parents eventually settled in Norwich.I now live in Bristol and travel a fair bit myself, and in my travels I meet many more Norwich fans than I do Ipswich fans and have never once exerienced any malice as a result of being a Norwich fan.

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]Dad took me to Norwich v Soton in 94/95, been a city fan ever since[/quote]That was my first game too! I cried (cos we lost) and I''ve also been a fan ever since.

I have been a fan since september 1977 My Dad was taking us on holiday on the broads  (which i still do, going in october and can''t wait) and we were driving past Carrow rd , the City stand was a bit of a cowshed back then! anyway as we were driving past the ball comes over the stand and clobbers Dad''s Austin A40 I asked him what football team played there and he the "Canaries" son Best team in the world so like the mug that i was  i have followed them ever since.

i could not imagine supporting another team it would not be right.  i am busy brainwashing my 5year old son now i have told him that if your name is on the wall of a certain club thats who you support. when my wife was pregnant in 2003 we knew it was a boy  and we knew what his name would be so i had it put on a brick thats bulit into the Jarrold stand. So i have taken him to show him his name. His grandad is trying to get him to support the Gooners But is his not for turning he tells grandad "Arsenal are rubbish" then keeps chanting on the ball city never mind the danger not bad for a 5 year old.

My dad got me my first norwich shirt when i was 2 and since then never supported anyone else. Now i''m 26 and planning on getting the norwich badge tattooed

[quote user="buddhistguy"][quote user="Chesterfield Canary"][quote user="National express super guard "]something

to do with green timber. and if a virgin dances round it a few times

it''ll go straight again. it all happened after the devil sat on it.I''ve been taught all this from the wife, did I get any of it right chesterfield canary
[/quote]

yeah that''s how the old story goes!

it''ll be crooked forever though!

the local church youth club had to cancel their version of nativity last Christmas!

they couldn''t find three wise men or a virgin [;)]

The old ones are always the best [;)][/quote]i went to chesterfield for the sheff weds game.went to brampton brewery, great bloke there, had about 12 pints for a fiver HAHAand got a free glass. defo going again...[/quote]Brilliant local brewery (I live in brampton!) - it''s only really been going about 6 months now but it''s already established itself as a decent brewery - not that there''s much competition for them in Chesterfield!!! [;)]

Lived in a little town just north of birmingham all my life, Dad is a WBA fan, who tried to get me to follow his faith....

He took me to WBA vs Norwich (1976), seats in the main stand (£4 each I think!!), and he then proceeded to dance around as West Brom won 2-0..!!

Being the awkward child that I was, I had taken to this team in yellow, with Phil Boyer up front, Forbes at the back & the great KK in goal.

So went home & asked for a Norwich City sports bag, which in those days can''t have been that easy to get hold of (In the Midlands!!). This duly arrived & was my pride & joy, until the Villa fans at school ripped it of my shoulder & played footy with it on the playground!!

Needless to say, that hardened me to my faith which I''m proud to say I''ve had ever since.

Even got my brother to go to UEA so I could have free digs (88-91) & am in the process of training a 7 & a 9 year old to keep the faith!!

Moved south and it was a bit far to go to Easter Road every other week!!

Was duly taken by some mates to Carra Rud and was bitten by the bug. Went home and away for 6 seasons Only missing about 3 games ........................then got married!!

25th year of season ticket and currently brainwashing my herd of 3 into the faith. We`ll all be there from Monday for another rollercoaster ride this season.

OTBC

My father and his father both supported City (the former spending most of his formative years in Norfolk). My first ever football match was Norwich away to Oxford Utd in about 1987 (I would have been ten if that year is correct). In common with a number of posters above, I didn''t want to be perceived as a glory hunter so started following a less ''glamorous'' team. I liked the fact the strip was unusual (at least, not your regular blue or red) and at least I did have a family connection. Have been a fan ever since but, sadly, don''t get to Carrow Road that frequently; mainly just away games in the Midlands region.

Born and lived most of my life in Portsmouth before moving to London. Have no links whatsoever with Norwich as a place or the team. Have supported them ever since I started watching football at around the age of 3 or 4. For some reason it stuck and I try to get to around 5 games every season!

grew up in Old Buckenham from 3 to 9 in early to late 70''s so really only was one option the SCUM never entered the equation although i do remember other lads at school who did support them, never got to see them tho my dad was never a football fan.

moved to Maidstone after that and still kept the faith and did see them play Maidstone United in a testimonial cant remember who''s Martin Peters was still playing then ,after the game managed to get all the teams autograph which has long since dissappeared something im still not happy about.Took a lot of stick a school from then on for supporting the mighty yellows but i was not going to lose my faith.

Now live in Devon and still get stick from work mates my boy is also now a Norwich fan so hopefully we''ll be watching them thrash Plymouth this season.....................COME ON YOU YELLOWS

In Sweden we had a program on the television that was called "tipsextra" every saturday. They always showed an english footballmatch and my first TV-match was between Luton and Norwich. I don´t remember which year it was, but I think it was 87/88 or perhaps 86/87. The result was 2-2. Someone who remember that game?Luton had white shirts and Norwich yellow and green. If you are about 8 years old you think that yellow and green are much more cooler than the white one. Since then I am a canary!!

Born in Norwich, brought up in Norwich (Moved away), now thankfully back in Norwich, father Norwich fan, grandfathers Norwich fans plus I was ten when City won the second division championship - which was a great time to start watching. 

SIMPLE

I despise Norfolk folk who "support" ManLiverArseSea  with  vigour - they have no heart, passion or loyaly and should be ridiculed at every oppotunity.

SORTED