Sign in to follow this  
Goss-pel

Transfer dead ends.

Looking at all the gossip on this forum regarding our summer transfer activity it seemd unlikely we have the spending or pulling power to attract any British based players of note. Maybe we should shop abroad Southampton style. Saints aren''t the biggest clubs but have consistently brought in terrific foreign signings on the cheap such as the two Svenssons, Pahars, Niemi, Lundekvam, etc. The Saints are are a clear example of the rule that you don''t need to sign big to achieve big so lets follow their lead. Their club ethos is similar to ours and I think they would be a great club to mimick. Just no Higginbotham please.

If we can attract and spend big money on Crouch, Huckerby and Harper (albeit on loan) in the first Division, i''m sure we can attract British based players in the Premiership. What''s to say that spending money abroad will bring us success? I agree that Siants have done a good job but I could name dozens of foreign players who either haven''t been able to cut it in the Prem or have taken a couple of years to settle in. We don''t have a couple of years or the luxery of going out and getting more players if the one''s we bring in can''t cut it. We need players who we KNOW will add to our squad. Some names mentioned are unrealistic, however some aren''t. I''d rather shop British- You know what you''re getting and you know that they will know the style of play (that''s a lot of "know''s in that sentence- apologies for my use of language!!) This is going to sound like I''m having a right go goss-pel when I''m not I promise, but what''s wrong with Higgingbothem? Looked a real talent at Derby and I think his first team oppertunites have been just limited at Southampton becuase he''s been behind the likes of Bridge and Le Saux. Sorry if all that sounded like a stinging attack on your idea! It wasn''t!

Who could forget the ultra success of Delgado and George Weahs cousin at Southampton!!!

Only joking Goss-Pel, but I''ve always been very cautious on unknown foreign signings. It''s ok if you''re Man u or Arsenal and can buy in the famous players like Henry and Van Nistlerooy. But the smaller teams have to rely on agents and videos of players to see the less well known players. This is a minefield and as we know; ALL agents are snakes!!!!
I say buy Bristish (based).

The only problem with British players is the cost of getting them. If Crouch was not English his transfer fee would never have hit £5m nor would be looking at £1.5-£2m in the summer. In addition the UK based players have a higher wage expectation. In comparison the overseas players are generally available on more reasonable salaries without the inflated transfer fee.

I would be amazed if there were NO foreign signings this summer - as with any signing the key will be fitting into and technically improving the squad - where would the gooners be without their foreign contingent?

OTBC

I think zipper has hit the nail on the head. I too would love to get in some quality British players but often the fees are just too over-inflated. If we can buy cheaper and quality abroad we should not ignore the oppurtunity. I would love to see the likes of Izzet, Crouch, Riggott, Pennant, Hughes, Matteo coming our way but of these only Hughes and Crouch seem like realistic possibilities. But dont worry DD I know its not criticism. I am just trying to be realistic.

On the Crouch side it looks like the rumour mill is taking effect...

http://www.football365.com/news/transfer_gossip/index.shtml

On the Higginbotham side I can assure you he is awful. My Dad has a Saints season ticket and we often see him play. His footwork and awareness is akin to the speed a car crawls through the Portman Road district of binville when one is looking for some ''fun''.

i think it is very unlikely we will sign many foreign players because nigel has shown hed rather not have them in the squad.his team has spirit,they trust in eachother-it is so much harder to get this when some of the team dont speak english