Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

Chasing another 33 year old

With a squad as thread bare as ours, should we not be looking to sign some young long term prospects?

I do not doubt that Stefanovic could give us a good couple of years, however, because of his age he will be at the end of his career and past his best days thus being cheap!

Does this surprise anybody?

Good or bad signing?

I sort of agree C.T as we need some experienced players. But with him retiring in 2 years or so this does not solve our squad crisis.

If the club are so poor they are resorting to cheap players I would rather go the build for the future route than the short term stop gap as the money will not improve under the current regime.

However

Things could be very different by the time he retires!![:)][:D][;)]

[quote user="C.T"]I actually think Stefanovic would be a QUALITY signing. IMO a better defender than Dion. Sorry[:$]
[/quote]

I too would love to see Stefanovic in a Norwich shirt, hes a quality defender. Letting a 33 year old centre back leave this club remains the worst piece of business by this club in the last decade, so I wouldnt worry about his age.

[quote user="ryank"]

[quote user="C.T"]I actually think Stefanovic would be a QUALITY signing. IMO a better defender than Dion. Sorry[:$]
[/quote]

I too would love to see Stefanovic in a Norwich shirt, hes a quality defender. Letting a 33 year old centre back leave this club remains the worst piece of business by this club in the last decade, so I wouldnt worry about his age.

[/quote]

[Y]

agree totally Ryan. Thje average age of the squad is still quite young and old heads are always needed. A very gd CB IMO.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[Y]

agree totally Ryan. Thje average age of the squad is still quite young and old heads are always needed. A very gd CB IMO.

[/quote]

Hey, is that RR (yr avatar) - I wonder what he''s doing now, do you know ?

[quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Totally agree [Y]

I don''t think the fact that he''s 33 is a problem, if anything it''s good to keep a balance of young and experienced players in the squad, and now our two most experienced players have left, I think Stefanovic would be the ideal signing, he''s had plenty of Premiership and International experience that will only help benefit the rest of the team now that Dion has gone, I didn''t seen him play last season but I can remember him being a very solid defender at Portsmouth a couple of years back, and now he''s steping down a level it may well bring the best out of him after a difficult season at Fulham last year.

Would be a great signing if Glen gets his man.

In case any missed this, which was posted on another thread, here the view of a pal (s/t holder at Fulham) on Stefanovic. 

Certainly past the top of the career bell curve. I wouldn''t expect him to play in the Premiership again as he''s unlikely to get any quicker. Having said all that, if you''re looking for an experienced centre back, who''s good in the air and useful at corners, then he could be worth a punt.

As long as his partner is Shacks over Doc, as any manager with an ounce of tactical knowledge will know to shove someone up top to rape those two for pace. Ideal partner for shacks

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[Y]

[/quote]

Hey, is that RR (yr avatar) - I wonder what he''s doing now, do you know ?

[/quote]

Yeah its Rosie! I used to love him when i was younger because i apparently used to look like him! I think he is coaching in America now.....i will never forget that goal against the Saints in 89-90!

If he''s a good player now then he''s a good player now......simple really.

You don''t need to look 2 years down the line for every player.  

if he helps the team get better which i think he would does not matter how old he is get him in quick

Hold on, Hold on, Hold on........

His agent is Phil Smith and we all know he is full of sh!te dont we. He is Huckerbys agent......Phil " Bullsh!t" Smith talking up another deal for himself...... Sorry to spoil it but I wouldnt get too excited yet.

We have 1 person in the squad over the age of 30... we NEED old heads and experience - it''s essential.Anyway - who is the other 33 year old we''re chasing?

This guy''s track record says it all-is this really the best we can do? We need players for the future rather than rejects from the past. Hopefully the story is just that-heaven help us if it proves to be true.

[quote user="Vern "]

Hold on, Hold on, Hold on........

His agent is Phil Smith and we all know he is full of sh!te dont we. He is Huckerbys agent......Phil " Bullsh!t" Smith talking up another deal for himself...... Sorry to spoil it but I wouldnt get too excited yet.

[/quote]

But he was accurate with everything he said about Huckerby since xmas, about not being offered a deal by Norwich (which we have established he hasnt), about having interest from the championship and premiership (confirmed by huckerby), and about having interest from the USA (where he has now gone).

[quote user="The Sweeney"]This guy''s track record says it all-is this really the best we can do? We need players for the future rather than rejects from the past. Hopefully the story is just that-heaven help us if it proves to be true.[/quote]

Come again? Did you miss his three or four years at Portsmouth where he was there top defender and desired by half of the premiership? winning the player of the year award in his first full season with them? or his 20 international caps before retiring from international football? or the fact that he was Portsmouth captain before it was given to Sol Campbell? Or the fact that Rangers wanted him a year ago?

I suppose you would like us to spend £25 million on John Terry or Rio Ferdinand? 

Actually, who would you want us to sign? Give me the name of one centre back that you would sign ahead of him, being realistic, which rules out Martin Taylor as he is not for sale........

[quote user="ryank"]

[quote user="The Sweeney"]This guy''s track record says it all-is this really the best we can do? We need players for the future rather than rejects from the past. Hopefully the story is just that-heaven help us if it proves to be true.[/quote]

Come again? Did you miss his three or four years at Portsmouth where he was there top defender and desired by half of the premiership? winning the player of the year award in his first full season with them? or his 20 international caps before retiring from international football? or the fact that he was Portsmouth captain before it was given to Sol Campbell? Or the fact that Rangers wanted him a year ago?

I suppose you would like us to spend £25 million on John Terry or Rio Ferdinand? 

Actually, who would you want us to sign? Give me the name of one centre back that you would sign ahead of him, being realistic, which rules out Martin Taylor as he is not for sale........

[/quote]

Same for Wizard, come on tell me who you would sign Wizard? make your 6599th post your first positive one......

[quote user="ryank"][quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

Same for Wizard, come on tell me who you would sign Wizard? make your 6599th post your first positive one......

[/quote]

So neither of you are capable of even suggesting an alternative centre back? its easier for you to rubbish the clubs targets but you cannot think of a single alternative to support your argument?

[quote user="ryank"][quote user="ryank"][quote user="ryank"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So neither of you are capable of even suggesting an alternative centre back? its easier for you to rubbish the clubs targets but you cannot think of a single alternative to support your argument?

[/quote]

33 is no age really - im sure the same people arguing against this are the same people saying give Hucks another couple of years. He would be a top defender in this league. Composed, experienced and a good leader. Think he would also bring the best of Doc and Shacks out. SIGN HIM UP!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

33 is no age really - im sure the same people arguing against this are the same people saying give Hucks another couple of years. He would be a top defender in this league. Composed, experienced and a good leader. Think he would also bring the best of Doc and Shacks out. SIGN HIM UP!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How are we chasing "another" 33 yr old?  Curo is 32 and the oldest player we have.  Its all very well having young players, but you need someone to teach/show them what they should be doing.  If they can play as well, so much the better.

Hes also a 33 year old that has played half last season in the premier league ! players like yorke, windass, stelios, will all chip in a bit in the premier league next season, so signing a 33 year old isnt really that bad ! the case is norwich need quality players to get us into the premier league, or at the minute staying in the championship, and a player like him would definatly be a good move ! would be good for a little less press speculation and a solid signing !